MLS Need to advertize more....

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by DCUdiplomat96, Mar 16, 2009.

1. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as the season comes anew in a matter of days. I realize that alot has not changed much in marketing from MLS maybe they have a tight ad budget or something, I dont know. Maybe they are rely on the ESPNs and FSCs to push their brand forward? Naaaaaaa cant be. I think MLS need somebody or something to market the league, better yet the game of soccer to Mainstream America to where more exposure is developed to maybe a decent cult following.... Sometimes I think that maybe the Management feel they need the respect of the international soccer community(FIFA & UEFA). But in actuality they do not. Far and away the UNited States is the toughest country to Market soccer. so many yrs even as far back as the 19966 WC Final a certain inspirations led to a mo9dern development of soccer today. But the question is how is Soccer, the game the world loves apparently can get a respectful place in america? Why do People like the FIFA Commish president wtf ever he is called saying that MLS needs to follow the euro standard??? Let me remind you this the same Sepp Blatter that wanted the CAF(african soccer) to rearrange the Cup of Nations to the european summer format. But it only benefits some europe bound players but not the majority of the Conferations and leagues under it........

But Back to the subject matter MLS should had done more advertizing.. I mean not just the ESPN commercials you might randomly see when its convient I gues but, more in other channels and also MLS and USSF need to invest in advertising some players or the team as a whole more on Madison ave. Im sure there is at least Five orat least a couple Players you can invest more in marketing the game. An American face that represents for soccer for Americans. Was Donovan that answer? Maybe not, Maybe MLS and USSF need to steep up, I beleive they have the resources to do it. They need to stop ********** footing around.

2. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Galaxy has put out a fairly widespread Bus-Ad campaign across LA. I've see Galaxy ads on Buses in some very different parts of LA. It is more than I've ever seen before. So I can't complain.

3. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    I can't disagree.

In KC, advertising for the Wizards is pretty close to nil. There are a few billboards here and there, but not much else. It's not a big issue right now because we have no trouble packing out the little stadium we're in. However, when our new stadium opens, I would hope that an advertising blitz comes along with it.

4. Absolute

Absolute BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 18, 2007
    Green Hell
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there was a sign with Gallardo around K and 6th in DC but I think I was drunk and/or hallucinating.

Other than that, MLS definitely needs to advertise more.

5. DixieDean

DixieDean New Member

Jun 4, 2004
    Nassau, Bahamas
    The Crew are defending league champions and I have seen zero ads. Print or otherwise. This is for a team that gets really good coverage in the local media. But advertising? Nothing. :mad:

6. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Member

May 30, 2005
    Harrison, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well you all have to look at the purpose of advertising right? It's either
    - 1) Raise Awareness
    - 2) Keep Brands Top of Mind

Realize now, that in order to make it work, not only do you have to make someone "aware", but then you have to convert them to "trial", and then you have to convert them to "adopt".

In between those steps, there many different ways to go about it. Advertising is a way to raise awareness on a mass level, but isn't that effective per impression. Another way to think about it is how often do you need to see a product on a billboard, before you go "hmm... let me try that".

Much more effective, but with less reach, is word-of-mouth or grassroots. How many times would it take for a friend to mention he's excited to see the Crew play before you think "hmm ... maybe I should give it a shot".

Finally, there are many steps between awareness and trial, and trial and adoption. Do consumers believe your product is worth anything to get trial even after awareness? Is your product good enough to warrant adoption after trial?

Now if you were controlling a small budget, which would you attempt to spend a large portion of your budget on advertising? I wouldn't. At the level of spend, your reach in advertising doesn't make up for everything else.

I don't even think awareness is MLS' problem. How many people do you know that are potential soccer fans or current soccer fans who arent aware of MLS or its clubs. Its usually they know they exist but don't care. Advertising won't solve that.

Sorry for the extremely long winded response, but I see too many people here worrying about the lack of advertising. Multi-billion dollar brands have been made without advertising (Monster Energy drink is the number 1 energy drink in the US, with nearly $1 bln in sales, and they spent a grand total of $16,000 in advertising). There's no need to see an increase in advertising with MLS.

7. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this Case MLS I think MLS especially DC United need to do better. there are times I think MLS markets certain people more than others, sometimes in the sake of survival more than being objective..... and these word like convert is stupid. where talking about soccer not religion lolol... That why I beleive DCU failed to get the Poplar Point proposal, probably the original SJ earth quakes Moved and why the current National TV schedule looks like a down grade with random coverage and no true National telecast this yr. Soccer hasnt transcended the streets or some other places. Im sure its no where near the top ten when it comes to popularity in the US.... Sure you have some Latino fanbase(already soccer fans) and some lil expats(already soccer fans) but a small American contingent(Mostly suburbiates) but It really has transcended. Its not really a common game here. USSF and MLS must do better.

8. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It takes money to advertise, and quite frankly it takes a cool million for teams to advertise to the loyal supporter's type of demands. The solution to bring in more revenue? I'll give you a hint: it's similiar to no new taxes and has to deal with a ticket.

9. TheRustyEunuch

Oct 16, 2007
    Medellín
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

Not to be a co ck, but i think i saw CA Ballpark full maybe once last year....opening night.

10. DixieDean

DixieDean New Member

Jun 4, 2004
    Nassau, Bahamas
    the problem, as they say, is that you have to spend money to make money. Not the other way around. Seattle and Toronto spent a lot of money advertising well before they had kicked a ball. It's seems to have worked in both markets. We're the champions and I haven't seen one ad for the new season, not one. Reports say that we are just over 10k for the opener. I feel there is a definite correlation. Hardcore fans, ours seem to number between 6-10k, know about the home opener. But, what about everyone else?

11. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I beleive Part of this is true, But to loyal supporter you dont need to advertize much but be more broad. beyond the fanbase. America is a big country, this is Not england. we have open spaces, If MLS wants respect they need to do better not just for the Soccer fans but for sports fans period. Most of the news thats out is thru spanish tv and FSC and GOL tv and ESPN/ABC. not alot of circulation. Locally DC United rely on thier hardcore fans unfortunately

12. jass

jass Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    Parana Curitiba
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  13. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SoccerAmerica Magazine yeah I have that too!

14. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  15. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    From what I have seen, soccer people (people in the "biz") have a hard time with the fact that they have to be like every other sport, and moreso. I've heard all the excuses ("Advertising is always negative result," "We're soccer; that won't work for us," "Word of mouth is better and cheaper," and the list goes on...), and have seen what no advertising does (kills off your team, just ask the Silverbacks; when you're the smallest fish in a big pond, you have to let people know you're there :rolleyes:). People need to know you're there, so they can decide whether or not to come out and see you. The soccer "powers that be" need to climb out of the ivory tower, and "lower themselves" to reach the masses with their product, and that's what it is, a "product." So what of you have kids taking shots on a guy in a Teddy Roosevelt costume, or have your kid chased around the penalty area by a giant toilet? If it gets people in, and especially if the team wins, they'll come back, especially if they had a good time.

My question is, if advertising is such a bad thing, why are there so many firms out there doing it for people? It's working for somebody, or they wouldn't be doing it.

16. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Super Bowl anyone?!!!!!!

17. DC_United

DC_United Member

May 8, 2008
    Advertising is to inform, educate and MLS does a poor job of doing so about things like game times, place, dates, etc. Their presence online is barely a whisper and the marketing to the average person is nadda.

My biggest problem with MLS marketing (and one that'll be fixed when I get a job there :D) is their emphasis on trying to sell the sport rather than the brand.

Soccer is the number one played sport for kids, it's also the number one sport played for adults. The game is already entrenched in our society, no point in continually saying "the game has been in the dark, it's time to show the world" blah blah blah useless everyone knows it!

You have to sell the brand, you have to sell what soccer really is. It's not a game you attend, it's a team that represents where you're from battling another team that represents an area. It's about society not a sport. What's the quote "football isn't about life or death but something more?"

18. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at RFK the other day and the back banner og DCU is still there by the armoury all faded and just have the 1996 and 97 MLS champions on it... the team store didnt even looked open you have to call the security guard LOLOL thats another thing DCU need another store or put one downtown or something this is ridiculous. RFK is legend DCU mgt should be inspired man i wanted to be upset but i was on a rush today down the road at Eastern HS

19. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Member

May 30, 2005
    Harrison, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Advertising isn't a bad thing ... it's just not always the right thing. There are common misconceptions about advertising:

1) All companies have to do it ... not true at all. Major brands exist without spending much on advertising (Monster Energy)

2) Marketing = Advertising. It's not. Advertising is only one branch of marketing.

There's no question that MLS has to do a better job marketing their product / brand. I still think advertising is at best a supplement to an overall marketing plan, and at worst not necessary.

That's just my two cents as a brand manager ... but what do I know? I only do it for a living.

20. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My biggest complaint about MLS marketing is all about the timing. They have a ton of MLS commercials around MLS broadcasts on ESPN2, but when else are they advertising?

Would doubling their advertising budget really bankrupt the league? If they just put some more effort and strategy forward, the boost would be noticeable.

21. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    Why waste money advertizing? In order, to get more media and public attention = signs more stars. Bam Bam Zamorano & Piojo Lopez signings were huge advertize for America, at time, had big ratings in the US market. Increasing the salary cap is way more important than advertinze, you can't sale what people think less and dislike, so far, the product ( MLS ) shown poor quality ( in CCC ).

Did you showing more commercials with Olsen? Will help the league?

22. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If you already get good coverage in the local media, your need to do a lot of advertising goes down. The team has been there since '96, the awareness is already there. The bigger efforts for most of these teams is in selling season and group tickets. At this pont they have probably already changed the emphasis to groups and trying to get big crowds out to their openers and first few games.

23. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only MLS had independent team owners who would decide for themselves how much advertising is needed for their own team.

Oh wait, that's exactly what we're talking about.

24. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    You make a good point except for the fact that there is a fine line between advertising and sponsorship. Sure, Monstor's print, online, and television advertising may only be $16,000, but they plaster that giant green M on NASCAR cars, they sponsor the AMA Supercross, Moto GP, X-Games athletes, you name it. They spend millions upon millions of dollars on sponsorship. That's a form of advertising. They can get away with not doing traditional advertising because their brand has already been established. People see Ricky Carmichael driving his Monster sponsored truck on TV they aren't wondering what that giant M stands for.

That's the best advertising you can get. Your logo on national TV for hours at a time. Announcers saying Ricky Carmichael in the Monster car over and over again. Monster has a target audience and they spend millions of dollars each and every year to inundate that audience with their brand. It's just done in a non-traditional sense.

25. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    MLS tried to appeal to the broader sports fan in the early years (shootouts, count down clock) and realized that it was a complete waste of time and money. Garber has said as much in interviews. There are plenty of soccer fans in this country to make MLS an extremely viable entity. It's appealing to those soccer fans that don't tune in to MLS matches that need to be converted. Not Joe Sports Fan who has never watched a soccer game in his life.