MLS & NBC Sports have agreed on a 3-year deal

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by CenterForward, Aug 10, 2011.

1. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, that makes sense. If KONG's broadcast deal with the Sounders involved them paying for the rights, I don't think MLS/SUM or anyone can legally say "Sorry, but we're taking this game for the national network. You can't broadcast it. Sucks to be you." Not without compensating them in some way.

------RM

2. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game turned out to be on MLS Live after all. Talk about full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. :D

3. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
  4. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that the network has year-round programming (assuming the NHL ever comes back, but I'm not bitter or anything), NBCSN's distribution was the last impediment to really competing with ESPN.

6. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That article is not quite correct. NBCSN has been available in numerous Direct TV packages outside of the Sports Pack. I believe any package at Choice XTra or higher included the channel.

I don't know if the move today adds it to the lowest tier packages but it is not listed in those low packs on the Direct TV web site.

7. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. JJ Mindset

JJ Mindset Member

Dec 7, 2000
  9. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In other words, roughly 99.97% of homes that get ESPN also get ESPN2. Isn't that good enough to stop talking about them as though they were networks with different audiences?

------RM

10. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You definitely need to talk about them as different networks because the general populace still treats them differently even if they are available in the same number of homes.

You could have the identical programming on ESPN2 and ESPN and almost 100% of the time, ESPN will draw better ratings than ESPN2.

HailtotheKing and blacksun repped this.
  11. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand that ESPN gets better ratings than ESPN2, but I always figured that was due to ESPN placing the best programming and spending the most marketing on its flagship network. I don't see where the difference comes from otherwise. The two networks are always right beside each other in the lineup. I've always thought of ESPN2 as "just another ESPN channel".

Is there really some segment of the viewing population that looks at the cable listings and says "Ooh, soccer! I shall watch-- WAIT! ESPN...2??? Pshaw! No pedestrian B-list network shall sully my TV!"

------RM

12. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Well, the thing is, this last sentence is actually different in a subtle but important way from the rest of your description. The difference is habituation. If ESPN put the same quality of programming on the two channels, the ratings would not meet in the middle over night because people who have always thought of ESPN2 as "just another ESPN channel" (emphasis on the just is mine) don't change that conception right away. It could also be argued that they never get 100% equal ratings that way, because the mere sticking of the '2' on the end is just slightly diminutive.

(They aren't actually always right next to each other, though ESPN carry charges go up if you put them apart, so it's an incentive not to do that.)

No. . .there's a segment that never looks at what's on ESPN2 in the first place, because ESPN has trained them not to. MLS falls through that net; time and time again, basically the same type of game has been shown on ESPN as one that's on ESPN2 and it will get 2 or 3 times the viewership on the former as the latter.

13. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a reason why ESPN has been putting the third-tier bowl games on ESPN2 as opposed to ESPN.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    There's a cultivated mindset that if there's nothing worth watching on ESPN, then switching to espn2 isn't going to help. To be honest, I'm surprised that ESPNU continues to survive in a land where ESPN is pushing more and more college content to the web (aka ESPN3).

15. El Duderino

El Duderino Member

Nov 29, 2006
  16. Twix1138

Twix1138 Member

Jul 9, 2010
  17. Indiscretion

Indiscretion Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope NBC shows the Open Cup final this year

18. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GolTV, which has the rights to 2013 & 2014, will have to want to give it up, presuming they remain in business that long.

But yes.

19. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    GolTV has it for that long? Bummer. No one actually has GolTV, as far as I can gather. Just a step up from BeIN Sports...

20. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GolTV is not a step up from beIN Sport in terms of household penetration. beIN Sport is in significantly more homes now than Gol TV. A combination of Gol TV being dropped by some carriers and beIN Sport being added.

In order of household penetration for English language soccer related programming, it goes like this

NBC, ESPN, ESPN2, NBCSN, FSC, beIN Sport, Gol TV.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My basic cable has beIN Sports but not Fox Soccer. I think beIN is bigger than FSC now.

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And if it isn't, it likely will be in the coming year.

23. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Ain't that the truth. FSC seems like a dead man walking unless they can come up with some programming soon. No MLS, Laliga, Serie A, EPL. What's left? US open cup, SPL and college soccer aren't going to keep the lights on. I'm surprised FSP is still around. Surely that will be gone unless there is a bigger rugby demand than I think there is. Rebrand back to FSW?

24. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Such is the case with DirecTV in my area (San Antonio). When it was installed the pamphlet channel guide still had GolTV listed, but the channel is in fact beIN Sports NOT GolTV.

25. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Direct TV made this change nationally on September 13th.