MLS name, logo, kit speculation

Discussion in 'St. Louis City SC' started by EPJr, Dec 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    IIRC, part of the holdup was that MLS wanted the MLS4theLou group to get someone other than Enterprise on board for shirt & stadium sponsors - i.e. they didn't want the bid to put all their sponsorship eggs in one basket.

Now, if the team *name* becomes something along the lines of the "St. Louis Enterprise" (sounds Star Trek-y) then maybe you'd get the name on the front - but not in the sponsor spot.

2. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    They want funds from external sources.

3. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    I guess that isn't a rule for Red Bull?

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It's not a rule, it's just what was reported over this past summer as something that had been asked of STL in particular. I'm guessing it's a part of "expansion ownership group requests" that wasn't a thing back when but is a thing now after more than a decade of the expansion race. That is, if Red Bull were trying to buy a club right now, they'd be asked to find different shirt+stadium sponsors - but it wasn't something asked of them when they joined, and no one is seeing a reason to ask them to change now.

5. DCW531

DCW531 Member

City SC
    Jan 31, 2017
    St. Louis, MO
    Not my idea, I have seen it kicked around here (or Reddit, or both?) in the the past.

Panera / St. Louis Bread co for jersey sponsors.
    Could do Panera on the road , Bread co at home? Any other teams have different* home / away sponsors.

* yes i know they are the same entity, just different names in and out of the STL market.

6. Adiaga_2

Adiaga_2 Member

St. Louis City SC
    Aug 30, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re-read Sport Billy's original post - he said "Shamrocks" plural, not "Shamrock."

I would be okay with the name Shamrocks. It was the name of one St. Louis's early professional teams from the late 1800's-early1900's.

But it seems a little too 'Irish-only' by today's standards. I think the ownership group will want something more inclusive.

By the way, why do you feel that MLS will "push" the ownership group to take the St. Louis FC name? What's in it for MLS?

7. Adiaga_2

Adiaga_2 Member

St. Louis City SC
    Aug 30, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that was meant mostly as a joke, but I think it's freaking brilliant!

8. DCW531

DCW531 Member

City SC
    Jan 31, 2017
    St. Louis, MO
    I agree, I thought it was a great idea, given how Panera markets' itself.

9. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    #59 NashSC, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    The picture he posted and most recent post referencing that name clearly shows an image that says "Shamrock" and there is no part of that post that says "Shamrocks". I didn't go back and look at his previous posts after he posted it. Sorry about that.

Just based on following the league since inception in 96, and as I have stated many times now...the trend of the latest teams is city name with FC/SC. I also know the league tried to force Minnesota away from using United so that tells me the league definitely tries to push the teams to or away from some names. They gave in after there was fan push back.

FC Dallas (the first one...rebranded in 2005)
    Toronto FC
    Orlando City SC (virtually the same idea as city name FC/SC)
    NYCFC
    LAFC
    FC Cincinnati
    Nashville SC
    Austin FC

4 of the last 5 teams to be named have been in this format. Inter Miami is the one that wasn't. 6 out of the last 9 if you count Orlando City SC.

What's in it for MLS? Well they actually own the team names. So they definitely have some influence and say and ultimately the final approval power. I think MLS likes and prefers the generic branding of city name FC/SC. I think they like that there is no way it can offend anyone or ruffle any features and it also has a traditional appeal to it. It just seems they are definitely moving heavily toward it. 4 out of last 5 is hard to ignore.

There has also been some talk of the league and club possibly renaming Chicago Fire to Chicago FC or similar. Not sure it will happen, but sounds like it has been discussed.

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #60 SiberianThunderT, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    MLS may have approval power over names but I don't think they influence the decision-making aspect of team naming much, if at all, until that final approval (or attempted denial in MNUFC's case). In fact, I think the MNUFC is the "exception that proves the rule", as it were. It was the first time we'd ever heard of MLS trying to influence a team's name. Trying to attribute more of the naming process to MLSHQ than we have evidence for is a sizeable folly, IMO.

Also, the club's full name is Club Internacional de Futbol Miami, or Inter Miami *CF*. Just because a club has the FC/SC/AC/CF/whatever doesn't mean it can't have whatever extra as well. I mean, think of two of the Cascadian expansion teams. In fact I think they added those initials versus their previous USL names.

11. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Not sure what your point is about Inter Miami. I am saying they are the one recent team that hasn't followed the city name plus FC/SC. I specifically only listed the teams that are only city name + FC/SC. I didn't mention any of the others that have FC or SC in their official name. Toronto FC is just Toronto FC there is no "extra" in their name. Same with LAFC and so on. Sure teams can have "extra" in their name but the ones I mentioned don't.

12. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -------------------------------

With the use of FC/SC, wouldn't that then evolve into a nickname for teams kind of organically?
    TFC (I think) is the Reds for example.

13. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here I just wanted to add my two cents for naming the club "Gateway FC St. Louis" along with a crest idea:

Gateway Saint Louis FC.png

canammj and hipityhop repped this.
  14. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Gateway FC but I can't see them going for it without the city name in there. I like AC St. Louis or St. Louis AC. No one uses AC yet.

15. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about just Gateway St Louis ?

Tobias C repped this.
  16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    AC would certainly be unique on the landscape, but I doubt anyone wants to dig up the skeleton of the previous ACSTL.

17. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not my team, although glad y’all are in, so feel free to tell me to take a hike, but I hope y’all go with St Louis Archers FC.

SunDevil FC repped this.
  18. Adiaga_2

Adiaga_2 Member

St. Louis City SC
    Aug 30, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a fan of the name, but my compliments on the logo design and the choice for color palette. Well done!

19. SunDevil FC

SunDevil FC Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Same here, From an outsider perspective I think the Archers name would be great! Confluence is a good name too but probably needs a nickname with it.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Rivermen =-)

hipityhop repped this.
  21. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Favorite

RiverRats FC STL

22. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gateway St. Louis sounds sharp to me. FC/SC on the end of it is arbitrary and wouldnt need to be actually said, (Who says "anybody want to go to the Seattle Sounders FC game with me"?) I think this is one of the only distinct real names that MLS would find palatable and accept.

@SteveUSSF_ref8 logo is legit. Looks clean and modern, not too simple but not too busy, and completely relevant with the Arch and flag featured. This logo is actually MLS-ready.

SteveUSSF_ref8 repped this.
  23. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #73 EPJr, Mar 2, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St Louis Explorers
    Explorers FC
    Explorers SC
    -Kind of like the relation to St Louis position in the westward expansion of the country, up and down the rivers. You could have fun with graphic say of a canoe, a fir trader paddling,
    Similar
    Gateway SC
    Gateway FC
    Gateway St Louis
    -As in gateway to the west.