MLS name, logo, kit speculation

Discussion in 'St. Louis City SC' started by EPJr, Dec 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCW531

DCW531 Member

City SC
    Jan 31, 2017
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm ok with Confluence. it would unique.

I would think the USOC or IOC might have something to say about using Olympic or a variant there of.

I am under the impression that St. Lois FC will continue to exist after MLS, and per the MLS4THELOU website re: St. Louis FC:
    No. Saint Louis FC is not being promoted into MLS.

2. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    #27 NashSC, Oct 3, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Right, this is true for all the USL/lower level ownerships that have gained MLS teams. The lower level team is never being promoted. It is a completely new team. That has nothing to do with the name.

However, everyone of the recent ownership groups to do this has kept the name. Actually, I don't think it is just the recent ones. I think every single lower level ownership group that has bought into MLS has used their lower level team name. Can't think of any that haven't. Some may have tacked an "FC" or "SC" on to the end but the name remained. Seattle tried to change but fans wanted it to stay Sounders. I feel like something similar happened with Timbers.

Vancouver Whitecaps, Montreal Impact, Minnesota United, Orlando City, Nashville SC, Seattle Sounders, Portland Timbers, FC Cincinnati...names remained.

I'm still betting it stays St. Louis FC. They would be first to not do so (I believe).

3. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I prefer the name "Saint Louis Legacy". Saint Louis has a lot to be proud of their place in american soccer history.

4. Adiaga_2

Adiaga_2 Member

St. Louis City SC
    Aug 30, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the idea of "Legacy" a lot too, but I'll echo Sport Billy's opinion that I would rather have a 'plural noun' nickname, so I would suggest "St. Louis Legacies" instead.

I'd also love a revival of the "St. Louis Stars" name.

Others I've heard and would like are...
    St. Louis Kings
    St. Louis Metros
    Spirits of St. Louis
    or St. Louis Spirits

5. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I would be fine with St. Louis Kings.
    Louis IX was a great King.
    St. Louis has always been the King of soccer :p

6. davidrpaige

davidrpaige Member

May 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The MLS St. Louis team is a different ownership group then St. Louis FC owners. So no, the MLS team will not be St. Louis FC.

7. DCW531

DCW531 Member

City SC
    Jan 31, 2017
    St. Louis, MO
    Kind of, there is some overlap between the two groups. Jim Kavanaugh is the majority (sole?) owner of the USL team, academies, and youth teams. He is also a minority partner in the MLS group. He was involved in the last failed effort, and brought the Taylor family to the table this time. They could work out a deal fro the name if they chose to. The quote from their website, however, indicates this is not the current plan.

NashSC repped this.
  8. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    We'll see. I think it will be.
    Almost everyone of the groups that have moved up have not been 100% the same people. Almost everyone has brought in other investors. St. Louis is no different.

The others brought in other investors and kept the name.

9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    None of the others made a point of saying they wouldn't be keeping the name.

10. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cast my vote for Olympic St. Louis as a nod to the city's French founding (like Olympic Marseilles and Olympic Lyon) and the fact that St. Louis is the first city in the Western Hemisphere to host the Olympic Games.

Confluence is OK too. I wonder how easily it rolls off the tongue of broadcasters though. Maybe the supporter's group or the part of the stadium where they'll be could be called 'The Flood Zone'? I wonder when they'll announce to final choice and team colors?

11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Considering the team won't take the field until 2022, I'm betting that they're in no rush to get branding fully decided. I was gonna guess that late 2020 would've been a good expectation for a logo+name, but that was before they opened this poll. The fact that they're taking name suggestions now makes me think early- to mid-2020 might be the name+logo drop date now.

12. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Seattle did.
    They even went as far as having an official poll for deciding the team name and left Sounders off of it.

13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Alright, so I missed one from a decade ago, sue me.

Even then, though, there are some obvious differences between the two situations. STLFC has nowhere near the historic connections to the STL soccer community that Sounders did to Seattle's soccer community, and you can see that in social media discussions now - there really isn't a ton of support for keeping the STLFC moniker around.

14. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    #39 NashSC, Oct 5, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    Calm down. I didn't even make a big deal about it. Just stating the facts.
    History is 100% on the side of the ownership groups moving up keeping the name. There is always a first but it is a good bet to bet on history repeating itself.
    Nashville SC had no history...kept the name
    Minnesota United didn't have much history. Just a few years. Orlando City only had a few years also. Same for FC Cincinnati. So there are plenty of examples of teams having only a few years of history and keeping their name.

15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    History often repeats itself, but you also have to recognize when something different is happening, i.e. lack of precedent.
    Here you're already moving the goalposts. I brought up the history thing directly with respect to STL vs Seattle. And Seattle was an absolutely fair counterpoint to my previous statement. And sure, there have been other newer teams to also keep their name. But none of the newer ones have tried to do otherwise. STL is the first case of a young team saying they're getting a different name upon jumping up to MLS. Seattle had a reason for fan backlash against an attempted rename. STL doesn't.

It just really annoys me that someone like yourself (and, AFAIK of anyone here in the STL subform particularly, only yourself) seems convinced that the ownership group is either lying or destined to have to backtrack when there's nothing about the current situation to suggest either. Like, why can't you just take the group at its word? What makes you so convinced you're right and they're not?

16. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    #41 NashSC, Oct 5, 2019
    Just gut, history of teams keeping names and the current trend of using city name and FC or SC. Of the last 8 teams to be awarded expansion 5 have used city name plus FC/SC.

My points are all valid. Every ownership group to move up has kept name. Almost all of the recent ones had no real history. There is one that had history and said they were changing the name and didn't. Sorry I was not trying to move the goal posts. I agree that I did kind of now that you point it out.

I don't think anyone is intentionally lying or misleading. I think the league will push them to keep the name. I think some aren't accounting for that aspect. The league has to approve any name and actually owns the name.

I have been wrong more times than I can count, so I very likely am. And it is fine if I am. This is my last post on the topic (keeping the name). I am only posting on it again to reply to your direct questions.

17. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    #42 Sport Billy, Oct 5, 2019
    I certainly am not an artist.
    But I'd like something like this

Crown
    Fleur de lis
    Arch
    Pink/Black - female ownership - unique to MLS

St. Louis Kings
    Uniform SMB.png

18. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Pink and black is unique until next year as that is Inter Miami's colors. Not saying they can't use it, but it won't be unique.
    Screenshot 2019-10-05 at 9.15.00 PM.png

19. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    F#$*ing Miami

Ok then, back to my original idea
    Display 60.png

20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    FWIW I read your original post as saying the female ownership was unique to MLS, not the color scheme, so it still was true in that sense.

But yeah, f*ck Miami

21. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    It is interesting how different people's taste/opinions are. I think St. Louis Shamrock is one of the all time worst/stupiest/terrible/silly/cheesy names I have ever heard, and I have heard some bad ones. It couldn't be worse IMO. :)

22. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    you are one unhappy miserable person.

NashSC repped this.
  23. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    haha
    I just know cheesy names when I hear them.
    St. Louis Shamrock? Seriously? Its bad...real bad.
    Using shamrock imagery in the logo is fine, but the name?

You said you wanted plural nouns, and then you say you like Shamrock?

24. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shouldn't ENTERPRISE be on the front as this will almost be a corporate owned team like Red Bull

25. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sent in St Louis Explorers. (I like Gateway as well)
    Think of the French Explorers and all the other parties that headed west from St Louis or up and down the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers.