MLS model for success

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by sportie1, Sep 22, 2011.

1. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    http://www.theprovince.com/sports/s...rogram+reels+soccer+talent/5440770/story.html

this is 1 thing the Caps have done well over the past several years-- a huge committment of significant $$$ by the owners (especially greg kerfoot) that should begin to show results in a few years... and even help canada reach a mens' WC
    this will change the face of MLS over the next 10 years as more teams take the Caps model for developing young promising players
    well done, Caps!

2. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Kerfoot built the system; Nash and Mallet are tearing it down with their celebrity management style and hiring of their buddy as CEO.

Don;t you think?

3. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    no i dont think so-- it has quality coaches like martin nash so i think it will develop some exciting prospects in the future who can play on the 1st team

but i think BL had a lot to do with setting up the residency program and needs to be congratulated... not PB and TS who to this point have been major disappointments with their decision-making

as i remember, the model residency program started pre-MLS and the Caps made it a priority b4 buying a franchise-- they develop the players, they get to keep the top prospects... and the MLS brass agreed

4. dewhitecapfan

dewhitecapfan Member

Jul 28, 2008
    I wouldn't put the congrats on BL, but to Kerfoot. He is the one who initially provided the funding for the residency and women's programs. I remember him making several large "investments" in the Canadian National Womens Team, and training facilities at SFU.

5. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    i would you agree with you that the major visionary and leader was greg kerfoot... he put his money where his mouth and heart are -- it was not just about the Caps- it was, and still is, all about developing players for Canada's mens' and womens' teams

having said that, some1 had to take the vision and implement it-- and that fell to BL and his staff under him

say what you will about the man, but BL had more success and leadership ability than the duo of TS and PB... up to this point anyways-- who would have envisioned such a season as 2011, especially when compared to the previous expansion franchises in seattle, philadelphia and portland and their successes???

unless 2012 turns around the fortunes of the Caps (and i'm not sure how when one considers their salary cap restraints), this duo will go down as a collosal failure, something akin to the management team under stu jackson of the now defunct Grizzlies NBA team