MLS Mixtape?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by voros, Nov 3, 2003.

1. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was having a thought this weekend (yes I was surprised as well).

Thinking about ways for MLS to promote itself, I was wondering why MLS has never come out with something like the AND1 Mixtape Tour, the surfing and skater videos or to go way back to the Granddaddy, NFL Films.

What I'm thinking about is a video tape featuring high energy music (hip hop, punk/rock, latin music, reggae/ska/swing, etc.) with well edited exciting soccer clips highlighting just how exciting this game can really be.

The tape can just feature a bunch of random exciting plays and also maybe short features on various players. For example, the music can continue playing and then they show a caption of Damani Ralph's name and then show him bust some great moves.

It's the sort of the thing that you can give away at promotions, show on the jumbotrons at halftime of soccer games, maybe even turn it into a half hour highlight show for FSW (like the Argnetine soccer league has).

It certainly can't cost a lot of money with SUM owning the rights to so much soccer footage.

What do you think?

2. jayjayo10

jayjayo10 Member

May 27, 2003
    Boston
    Good idea anyone know where i can get some good MLS video clips that arent goals on MLSnet.com I am trying to make a video like this myself but need some videos that arent just goals. Thanks

3. jayjayo10

jayjayo10 Member

May 27, 2003
    Boston
    Also anyone who knows how to change the video format so the clips can be used in an editor any help would be appreciated.

4. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    They did something similar for the first hispanic heritage night. Was a 5-10 minute long mixtape of mostly goals and samba music that they gave away at the gates. It was ok. As a film student, I know I could have done better, but it was a good first try. I think MLS' biggest mistake was not making the Best Goals of 1996-2001 available to the public. You could only get it by buying a jersey from Eurosport.

5. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Funny you mention that. Just this afternoon I was thinking of making a couple Drum n Bass tunes featuring DC United chants for next season...

6. Green and BLue

Green and BLue Member+

Seattle Sounders FC
    Nov 3, 2003
    Republic of Cascadia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting the necessary video footage should be no problem for the league, but getting music would be trickier. I'm not sure about the exact specifics, but at any rate they'd have to pay to use whoever's music on the video.

7. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They could at least make some season review tapes available, right? Highlights and features--probably not all that good, but something we could all buy. The fire should definitely make one, anyway...

8. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Irregardless of the video that's used, I think the entire soundtrack should consist of Snoop Dog music because he reportedly was standing next to a guy who was next to guy who supposedly was wearing a jersey similar to that of a certain MLS club's colors...

Sarcasm aside, it's a good idea and a general (not just goals) highlight reel would be great. I am sure there are plenty of good bands out there looking for a break who would be willing to contribute a song for either a minor usage fee or for free as a promotional tool. Said video doesn't have to be made up of big name acts.

9. FootieBloke007

FootieBloke007 New Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Chicago
    If they can get some kids that are good freestylers and street soccer players to tour like AND1 they could definately get more promotion for the MLS and soccer itself. A mix between AND1 tour and the nikesoccer ads would definately sell the league to a larger audience.

10. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And frankly the indie acts often have far more energy left in them since they haven't had their creativity and joy crushed by the big Record Industry monolith. :)

Seriously, this seems like ridiculously easy thing to do to be used for a variety of purposes and can portray the game in a very favorable light: full of energy, acrobatics, skill and joy. Highlighting the _game_ at its very best in an accessible and enjoyable format seems like a great way to the sell the product. In my opininion, MLS spends too much time trying to promote MLS and not enough time promoting the soccer that is being played in MLS.

A few years back, me and my baseball cronies complained that the way people at Fox Sports broadcast baseball games seemed to indicate that the people at the network producing the broadcasts didn't much like baseball. If they did, they would have broadcasted the games in a way that highlighted the game as opposed to some tangental off-branch of it. MLS, at times (Metrostars Playoff Fever for example), gives me the same vibe.

The surf and skater videos are the closest comparables to what I'm thinking. It seems like a great way to show people the exciting things that can happen at an MLS match.

11. TA-H3at

TA-H3at New Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Sa-Town
    ok if you could get and1 soccer players it would be awesome but it couldn't be called and1...Juked? I have no idea for a name...

12. Green and BLue

Green and BLue Member+

Seattle Sounders FC
    Nov 3, 2003
    Republic of Cascadia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "and1...Nutmeged!"

13. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
    2 hours of the Hedjduk step-over? Where's my credit card? ;)

14. TheMasterAtCornerKicks

Jan 20, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Hip-Hop Soccer Tour!!!

This has been my sentiment for some time... The NBA of the mid-80s was the KING of this type of promotion. The game will be "cool" to the mainstream public once MLS and soccer in general is routinely associated with"cool" icons like a Snoop Dogg, Limp Bizkit and everything else generation X...

My concept is for a Hip-Hop soccer tour featuring up and coming rap artists and street soccer players juggling and performing tricks to wow the audience with thier creativity and flair. Individual skill on the ball would be accentuated thru skills competitions. Let's face it- THIS is the aspect of the game that will attract more of the urban crowd- players with RYTHYM... Not those weak goals that appeal to kids who play "Backyard Soccer". Alot of the best plays in soccer do not result in goals, and this would be a great way to showcase that so we can get a Kobe Bryant/LeBron James type of impact player to choose and STICK with soccer.

Just my .02

15. masterklh

masterklh New Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    To a much lesser extent, I remember Clint Mathis before the world cup, in NYC Subways and such trying to promote the Met's and the USMNT by doing small tricks and the likes of such.

I can't remember if this is my imagination using a spin off of the Clint Mathis situation, but didn't John Harks use to do the same thing? Go to various places around the city dribbling a ball and doing some small tricks trying to gain fans etc?

It is no And 1 and only got a 3 minute play on ESPN, but hay you do what you can :p actually might have only got a 3 min playtime at the half of a USMNT :p

Im going to make a mixed WMV file tonight of some of the better goals that I find then add some catchy music.