MLS Miami - Marcelo Claure interview, he wants in!

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by chichi, May 27, 2011.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Garber says 4 new ones in the next 7 years. The race is on.

2. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2013-08-01/major-league-soccer-to-add-4-teams-by-2020-season

there is a checklist at the bottom of the article on how the teams will be decided for entry.. So does this mean that promotion relegation is around the corner?? Just saying? That would be cool if the Strikers can come up to MLS. It would be interesting to see what would the teams that wanted to go to MLS don't make it after 24? Then I think Pro-rel would have to be an option, I mean I don't see what the difference is any team coming from second division in any league has to pay a fee regardless to go to the top flight, why cant they do the same here?

Anyways 4 teams in 7 years, lets see that about 1 team every 1.75 years, I say Orlando is next for sure, then followed by (if not Miami) Minnesota, Detroit, and definitely Atlanta, I think the west coast don't get in on this 4 spots...

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No rel/pro any time soon, I think it's still a fantasy at this point.

Also I would guess MLS wants 2 at a time, to keep things even for scheduling and such.

Prime Time repped this.
  4. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think so? IDK he said 4 teams by 2020, I don't see how he would put two teams in one expansion year, I believe he wants the ones that are ready to go first, for example Orlando is more than ready just waiting on the stadium plans so there up first, Miami isn't there yet. We still need a stadium, location, and identity.. So I would say in about 3 to 4 years we can get a team down here so we'd be right after Orlando, specially looking at the geographical standpoint.

5. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    any news on other expansion cities?!? Orlando/Atlanta/ others

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orlando might get their stadium money next week, so looking good.

Atlanta's public money seems assured and the last private land owner capitulated this week. Since Bank is a billionaire I think it's all clear sailing for them.

All others seem to be in preliminary stages.

7. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Orlando, Miami and Atlanta.. All three makes sense but the real fun and games will be around the fourth

8. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we there yet?! Damn I feel like a feind, need more relevants news, or atleast some information on what is goin down.

I havr a gut feeling, since the Nov. 16th game at sunlife will probably get 20k-30k the announcement could happen there. Would be good too, picking up soccer fans at that match.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you miss the news that Claure might be a billion richer soon?

10. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Half a billion you mean? Given his shareholding in Brightstar is something like 45% I was told.

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only $500 million? Oh well just forget it then. ;)

No wonder they need Ross.

12. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    His Qatari mates might have to organize a whiparound to give Becks the necessary billions :whistling:

13. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ever since Beckham was involved we really haven't heard much of the Brightstar Billionaire, as far as him being involved in this team, would he used the same strategy to get Miami on top of the MLS (like his club back home in Bolivia -Bolivar-)?

And how come he hasn't said much, or been involved as much? I though it would be them two on top Beckham and Marcelo and then investors below them like Lebron, etc. etc.?

14. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Claure got a new partner at Brightstar, there might be internal issues that require his attention..?

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Claure just sold a large chunk to Japanese SoftBank.

http://www.mobilenewscwp.co.uk/2013/12/05/brightstar-completes-acquisition-of-2020-mobile/

So actually this is what happened: Claure just became $1.26 billion-ish richer and yet still controls 2/5s of his old company. I wonder what he could do with $1.26 BILLION?

For some perspective, fellow South American entrepreneur Falvio Augusto da Silva, owner of Brazil's Wise Up, sold his company for around $500 million. That allowed him to have "enough" money to invest in Orlando City SC and move them to MLS, including paying a roughly $70 million franchise fee.

16. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It's rare that you get the whole sum right at the start. For instance, Da Silva has only received 95 million so far. Still, it should be quite enough for MLS.

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus remember Miami's franchise fee is much smaller than $70 million.

18. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, if you believe that the coupon expires in 12 days, and that the league will not accept it past the expiration date, then I think $70 million is pretty much what this group will pay. Wouldn't it be hilarious if Becks has been secretly working behind the scences somewhere else like San Antonio all this time, and come New Year's Eve he's announcing a team somewhere else because the league wouldn't give him the extra time it's certainly going to take to just find a place for a stadium in Dade? :p

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you think Becks doesn't get an extension or perhaps hasn't already written the check you are delusional. MLS will bend over 10 times if necessary to get Becks involved.

20. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oh I've said as much myself. But everyone who reports on this story keeps bringing it up. Garber was a little....funny....when asked specifically about it at MLS Cup. I think they'd be idiots to incur a black eye like publicly, blatantly dissing Beckham like that just for $50 million. But they're also stupid enough to have insisted a team be put in Miami, not in much smarter and far less risky places, so who knows what kind of further stupidity they might show.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Smoke, seriously, what's your end game here? Do you think Becks, Miami officials, MLS is going to read your snarkful comments? Do you think the fans in Dade or Miami will support or not support MLS based on these types of comments and tweets? And when Miami is awarded a franchise and build a stadium, what's your hope? That they fail? Really?

I get and respect that you support the NASL & Strikers, but I don't get all the hate for Miami pro soccer aspirations. Just seems rather counter-productive.

22. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    End game is taking quite a leap. Are you hoping I'll admit in some way to whatever someone defines as "trolling" this week? LOL Do you question every poster on BS as to their intentions? Or should I feel honored?

I am someone that has lived in South Florida for 40 years. I am also a huge soccer fan. I love the game. That love began with me sitting in Lockhart as a kid next to my dad watching the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers. I guess if you were intent on defining an "end game" for me it is doing any little thing I can to help ensure the Strikers stick around this time.

But that has zero to do with BS. I just like to talk about soccer. BS is supposed to be a place where I can do that right? My 40 years living here makes me a bit more knowledgable about the market and the dynamics of pro soccer within it then a lot of the posters to these forums who obviously don't have a clue. So when I can, I set the record straight, or I give an informed opinion based on the above. If Becks and MLS wanted to listen to fans in South Florida who have supported local pro soccer for decades, they'd have found a way to do it. It wouldn't have been difficult. But they obviously were not interested, and have their own ideas about what they want to do. Will I chuckle at their stupidity along the way and raise a glass when they find themselves in the same boat as the Miami Marlins? Probably. But so what? And if them coming to town has any kind of negative impact at all on MY team, you're damn skippy I want them to fail. Who the hell wouldn't? I should be ok with the idea that "the big time" is coming to my market and might kill off the team I have loved since I was a kid? That's what you really think? o_O

23. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    While I disagree with a lot of what you post, I at least find your attitude refreshing. I admire someone who puts their team first over the many who place their loyalty to soccer as a sport or the growth of soccer in America as if it is still 1996.

24. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    So let's hear your opinion, then. What do you propose that MLS should do in this situation?

25. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    LOL You boil it down to a simple question, but there really is no simple answer. There are a lot of legitimate reasons why MLS didn't last here the first time, and is by far no lock to succeed this time around either, no matter whose face is on the franchise.

If they are going to actually stop at 24 teams, my advice would be to avoid Miami. There simply has to be one or two other markets where it would be far easier to get a team set up, and with far greater long term success. There are too many things that make a long term stable, supported, profitable team in Miami a major doubt.