Rumor: MLS Miami Bid: Beckham and Claure speak

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by chichi, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Orange County, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he meant the capital of MLS......I don't know.

2. chichi

chichi Member

May 21, 1999
    Miami Fl
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did take it down. Unless there was some mistake, someone probably ordered them to remove the link. It essentially said that Beckham had the rights to an MLS franchise (everyone knew this) and that he is secretly talking to the Cosmos to bring them into the league for a franchise fee of $25 million (vs. the valued $50 million). They gave tentative dates of 2013, 2014 or 2015. It also stated (and this affects both FL and NYC) that if Becks breaks contract and goes to Spurs permanently, he will lose his franchise option available in his contract.

4. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the only quote i could save from the article vert batim.

“I don’t think he will sign permanently for Tottenham or any Premier League club,” a senior MLS source told Goal.com UK. “He can buy a franchise at half the price it is worth. Then it is his choice to keep it and run the club or allow somebody else to buy it off him and make a nice bit of money.
    “Terry Byrne is heavily involved in the franchise and talks have been held about Beckham taking over and becoming the owner or part-owner. Kelmsley has the brand but Beckham has the buy-in voucher. I have heard that he will buy the New York Cosmos and establish them in the MLS in 2013 and might even play for them as well in two years’ time.”

5. chichi

chichi Member

May 21, 1999
    Miami Fl
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably the same thing he talked about with Claure.
    He has both options. I don't see him picking any other cities.

6. chichi

chichi Member

May 21, 1999
    Miami Fl
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Burrito just hear that Marcelo Claure, Simon Fuller and David Beckham are very interested in bringing a team to Miami. This from very credible sources."

Read more Here:

http://bit.ly/fLtEZZ

7. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yikes, that was hard to read.

You have to think that 20 is going to NYC. ( barring any huge problem )
    If Miami is 21, you have to wonder if there will be a break in expansion or if we'll go past 20 right away.

8. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008
    With all due respect, I have no idea why Goldenballs would even be considering Miami over the New York Cosmos. One is one of the 5 most important cities on the planet relaunching the most prestigious brand in American soccer history, the other is a really warm city whose only real soccer history is the only expansion market in MLS history to legitimately fail.

It seems to be a no brainer to me.

9. AntlersFan17

AntlersFan17 New Member

Nov 22, 2009
    Orlando,FL
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The beaches are way nicer in Miami and besides, CSI Miami gets better ratings than CSI NY so that proves it.

11. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think after NYC has been added it will be at least 5 to 6 years after they begin play in 2013, till your see the next round of expansion, perhaps to coincide with the 2018 World Cup. This will give South Florida plenty of time to built the soccer community to get noticed again by the "DON".

12. Utherhimo

Utherhimo Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if NYC2 is accounced this year the next annoucement will be 2014 or 2015.

#21 ATL (closed bid) and #22 open bid.

13. chichi

chichi Member

May 21, 1999
    Miami Fl
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, hard to read. Burrito is a Chihuahua that used to terrorize BigSoccer until they red carded him out for going postal after the Fusion went bye, bye.

Rumor out there is that DC will move... NYC anyone?
    Team 20 will be up for grabs... the visit to South Florida by Garber a coincidence?

14. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC will move? One of the flagship, championship teams? I'd be surprised if it did. Team 20 to NYC as the Cosmos, IMO, with or without Beckham. We have to accept the fact that it is up to the people down here to get together, all of, every national faction, to get one of #s 21 thru 24 for South Florida. Garber's visit was no coincidence. He was here for the Combine. Yet, it gave him a good opportunity to spread the word on the requirements needed for us to accomplish that feat. It's time for us to stop hoping for miracles. Only the folks down here can get MLS back by supporting what we have to show that we deserve to have it back. Anything else is BS....:cool:

15. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't Chivas USA move? Jeez. That team has been garbage since they started up. I'd rather have NYC be the 20th team and move Chivas to Florida, San Diego, St. Louis, or North Carolina. They are doing nothing out here but giving LA a bad name.

16. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once the Coliseum Commission has the approval to replaced the Los Angeles Arena with a new 20,000 seat soccer stadium, you will see Chivas moved there and rebranded to Chivas Los Angeles, Club Deportivo Los Angeles or the Los Angeles Aztecs.

17. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there is an open bid for #22 it will most likely be Orlando.

18. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't mind that either. How accurate is this?

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Accurate? None. It's just random speculation. It's what we thrive on here on BS, especially in this forum.

20. zhe fulano

zhe fulano Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Jan 31, 2010
    Florida Keys, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The terms "random speculation" and "BS" speak to parallel concepts which directly correlate to one another.

As for MLS in Miami, the potential is there but the organization does not appear to be there as of now.

21. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    :rolleyes: You and that one other guy always talking about Orlando kill me. When the brand new D3 side takes the field there this year with a few hundred people in attendance, let me know how close you think Orlando is to MLS.........

22. Utherhimo

Utherhimo Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and if Orlando d3 out draw both TB and Miami? What if Orlando out draws both teams combined? not that would actually be that hard to do.

23. chichi

chichi Member

May 21, 1999
    Miami Fl
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckham not involved with Cosmos. He has been in talks with Claure.

Byrne: Yeah. In every interview I'm asked about David. Is David involved in the Cosmos? Is David going to be involved in the Cosmos? And I sit here and go, On my son's life, we have not approached David to be involved in the Cosmos. If that should happen in the years to come, who knows? But right now, because of the franchise option he has [to own an MLS expansion team at a below-market price], everybody thinks two and two together and comes up with seven. The reality is he has another year on his existing Galaxy contract. I said to Tim [Leiweke], "We're never going to be disrespectful to Tim by trying to approach David about any of that." David's got his own management now, and I have nothing to do with that. So I don't get aggrieved if people link me to David. I was a big part of his life. I still am. It's natural in some cases.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...2/terry.byrne.cosmos/index.html#ixzz1AyTrkm6Q

24. chichi

chichi Member

May 21, 1999
    Miami Fl
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is another one that backs up the no NY for Beckham point.

http://es.pn/bs0wAW

Like I mentioned before I heard it from an ex MLS player and a reporter that seems to be in the know. There seems to be no solution to the stadium dilemma for United in DC nor Baltimore, looks like they will end up moving to NYC and become the Cosmos.
    20th team seems to be Miami. I was assured South Florida will get a team. Either 20 or 21, too big of a market to be ignored. Much advertising dollars to be made.

25. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doubt it.