MLS Mexico tourney Libertadores Berth

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by MesQueUnClub, Aug 21, 2006.

1. MesQueUnClub

MesQueUnClub New Member

Jul 23, 2006
  2. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Yes.. it will take 5 years before an MLS club wins in Mexico.

Sachin

3. Miss Webous

Miss Webous Member

Oct 3, 2005
    Club:
    Cruz Azul Hidalgo
    So what is this? MLS teams playing in the Interliga? In that case...will all games be in the US

4. el fenómeno

el fenómeno New Member

Mar 23, 2005
    5th Ward. Texas
    Sure why not, it's not like their going to have any fans at the games anyway. :)

5. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

true but they won't have to come play in mexico where they usually lose 5-0,4-0, 10-0:D

6. MesQueUnClub

MesQueUnClub New Member

Jul 23, 2006
    I think the fact that it has a Libertadores bert at stake should make it important to the participants, and would be better than that crap concacaf puts out there.

7. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Acutally, I heard somewhere that it's supposed to be a home and away elimination tournament between MLS and Mexican teams. We'll just have to take our whippings like men. :)

Sachin

8. el chingon

el chingon Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    is this trough??? but what will the mexico get out of this??? they'll just risk loosing some libertadores spots

9. MesQueUnClub

MesQueUnClub New Member

Jul 23, 2006
    It will benefit Mexican teams economically you could say, and a little extra competition doesnt hurt.

10. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    My question exactly. I mean, they may love the competition, and it might make it more interesting on both sides of the border in some sense...but why would Mexico risk a spot in a lucrative tournament?

I also think that given MLS' season, would they be able to field a full strength team during the Libertadores, assuming they qualified?

Maybe the competition would lead to a lesser tournament--Merconorte or whatever they call it these days.

If soccer becomes big in the US this won't matter, as CL will have no problem finding slots for us to play.

I'm curious to see how this rumored thing is going to turn out.

11. MeanstreakDCU

MeanstreakDCU New Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Seven Corners, VA
    Eh, no reason for this.. better for all clubs to worry about the CONCACAF Champions Cup. Someone smack jack Warner in the head, get him to make it into a real Champions League, and the TV money will be there. Two group stages, like UEFA used to have, that was awesome.

12. el chingon

el chingon Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    well yea the mexican league will make more money but they're already rich and i dont think they would accept having to risk copa libertadores spots.

so i dont think this tournament will decide who goes to libertadores because the only league that will win something out of this is the MLS