MLS Match #20: 7/16, Columbus Crew @ Chicago Fire [R]

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by jjayg, Jul 11, 2005.

1. lammygeek

lammygeek New Member

Feb 4, 2003
    minneapolis mn
    I had to read it a couple times too. It's good news though. I'm conflicted about who I'd like back more.

2. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Yeah, and Rob Stone kept saying it was Reiter, which isn't even close. Made the same mistake later on as well.

Later,
    COZ

3. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    I think it speaks to just how underrated Ivan Guerrero is, actually. Or at least how he's been able to keep low on the radar as such an important part of the team. This speaks to the All-Star issue as well. If there's anyone close to a consensus MVP through the first half for the Fire, it's Guerrero, and yet the "All-Star snub" talk seems centered around Nate Jaqua, or maybe Justin Mapp.

I agree on the points thing. We're still in second if every team in the east wins every game they have in hand. Stone did make the point that we're doing exactly what we need to, in stockpiling points during the easier part of our schedule, mostly at home and mostly against crap teams.

Later,
    COZ

4. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 of our ties should have been wins. the game a gainst colorado and sat game sticks out in my mind. I don't know why Will John got a start before barret. What does barrett have to do to get more playing time?

5. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Barrett is NOT a midfielder. So what Barrett needs to do is beat out Jaqua, Rolfe, Herron and Reiter for one of the two Forward spots. I personally think he should be starting instead of Reiter while Jaqua is out but I can understand why they want to give Reiter time to see if he can adjust to the Fire and MLS. They paid a bit of money for him. Still, I'd rather see Barrett playing and developing. He is definately a future star for the Fire.

6. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a few other things about sat doublehaeader. How many times did they show the beginning of a replay and then they cut away to a crowd shot at the climax of the play. I know what the damn crowd looks like I'm at the damn game. It was great for them to go to only the spanish PA announcer. The only announcements in english were the commercials. I don't think the chivas fans really cared about the spanish announcements. They couldn't stand up without spilling their cerveza and peeing in their pants.

7. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They gave griffin a shot at MF. Here is what I would go with based on our nat callups.

-------------------Zach-------------------
    Segares------CJ--------Curtin-------Pause
    Mapp-----------Jesse--------------John
    Rolfe------------Reiter-----------Barrett

8. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Griffin has played Midfield before. And it's easier to turn a defender into a midfielder rather then a forward.
    I understand why people construct lineups like the one you have. On paper they look so nice. (and I'm guessing that you got your left and right mixed up) But Niether Mapp nor John are at all defensive minded. That leaves Marsch to control the entire midfield in front of our back 4. That's just not a good idea. (Opinions obviously vary) I don't see Sarachan suddenly changing to a 4-3-3 either.
    Based on players available I'd go with :

-----------Zach-----------
    Pause---CJ----Curtin----Segares
    John---Marsch---Buete--Mapp
    ----Barrett-------Rolfe-----

I guess it's time to start a new match thread.

9. bgb

bgb New Member

Sep 8, 2000
    This was extremely aggravating. Not only did they cut away for a crowd shot or whatever, they frequently did it before the completion if the replay. If they're not going to show the entire replay (and there's no reason on earth not to), they shouldn't even start the darn thing. Crowds of people looking at the video to see a replay of a score or nice move or a good shot and they cut it off before it's even finished. Dumb!
    Yes, it seemed as if as soon as the Fire-Crew match was over they forgot that there were still people in the stadium who understood english. The player introductions for the second match were done only in spanish and almost all of the announcements during the second match were only done in spanish. Making the Chivas fans feel at home is nice, but how about all the other people, many who came to see Beckham, Owen, Zidane, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Luis Figo, and maybe even Gravesen, none of whom come from countries where spanish is the principal language. And if SUM is really trying to court the non-MLS attending American fútbol fan, you might expect that communicating to them in the language that most of the people use would be a good thing. Even more dumb!

10. Ron Keller

Ron Keller New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Shampoo-Banana
    I didn't tape the game but to me it looked like the ball stayed in on that goal that was disallowed just a couple of minutes into the game. Did anyone else think that, or was it just me? I couldn't tell what the hell they were yammering about during the replay.

11. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    I tivo'd the game. I watched it in slo-mo a couple of times. I kept wanting the ball to stay in so I could bitch about it but the ball definately went out. It was a good call.

12. bing1985

bing1985 Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Near West ChiSuburbs
    From the camera angle at mid-field it looked out. I'll bet for Reiter, running directly over the top of the ball, it looked in. I sure wish his first touch had taken a better line and stayed in - it was a pretty goal.