MLS Local TV Markets & ESPN 2

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by GIO17, Oct 22, 2004.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, after missing out on all the HDNet-only Wizards broadcasts last year - mollifed by FSW showing the Wizards 9 or 10 teams, I was mortified when the espn2/FSW schedules were released and included only one KC game between them. The week before the season began, I called DirecTV and had them upgrade me to their HD receiver. I still only have an NTSC receiver, but the games come in clear and look great. Since I'd been a customer for about 4 years, they gave me the "new subscriber" offer - (call and ask for "Customer Retention"). For $99 I got the HD receiver, a second regular receiver, a new tri-oval dish, and an over-the-air HD antenna (for local HD feeds) all installed. I have to pay a monthly $5 or so for the HD package, but I dropped the Starz Movie package, so that was a wash. Additionally I switched from Total Choice to Para Todos, which adds Telemundo, Fox Sports en Espanol, TyC Sports and a bunch of other channels.

2. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was watching three games at once some weekends on MLS.com. I could count the number of games not on their on my hands and toes - and I'm not even Antonio Alfonseca.

The Metros have benefitted greatly from the advent of the YES network which lost Jackass Dolan two local teams and time to fill during the summer. Whether or not these stations last now that the Metskis are getting their own network remains to be seen. I guess MSG would be Knicks/Rangers/Metro - which is great for Metro. Would I be correct in syaing that Metro Soccer Report is the only show of it's kind amongst the MLS teams?

(and no jokes about me counting to twenty please.)

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The Wizards have a weekly soccer show on KC MetroSports

4. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    I looked up all the information thru all 10 clubs Schedule departments on their websites. A bit painstaking, but yet it had to be done. Winner Communications is no longer the Official Broadcasting department of the MLS anymore since about 2002. I also understand that the reason the ExtraTime show on ESPN 2 was that Rob Stone and Alexi Lalas had to fly to Oklahoma to produce the show. The deal for the league ended and of course all the clubs were told to go and get your own contracts. Since FSN NE only shows the Celtics, they had to show the Revs. In all honesty MSG & FSN NY are the same people.

I am also in the business working in the TV Communications department. So it's all very interesting getting all the MLS matches with all the different announcers. So that's what I learned. But great follow ups on this post guys.

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Okay, 130 of 150 MLS games were broadcast in an NTSC format.

12 games were not broadcast at all (one of which was scheduled, but bounced by an MLB game), and 8 games were available on HDNet only.

MAY 01 not shown MLS 021 - Colorado at Kansas City
    MAY 15 not shown MLS 030 - Kansas City at DC United
    MAY 29 not shown MLS 041 - Colorado at Chicago
    JUN 05 not shown MLS 086 - Kansas City at Los Angeles
    JUN 09 HDNet --- MLS 048 - Kansas City at Colorado
    JUN 12 not shown MLS 050 - Colorado at DC United
    JUN 19 HDNet --- MLS 056 - Kansas City at New England
    JUN 26 not shown MLS 061 - Colorado at Columbus
    JUN 26 HDNet --- MLS 063 - Kansas City at San Jose
    JUL 17 HDNet --- MLS 083 - Kansas City at Dallas
    AUG 14 not shown MLS 143 - Colorado at Chicago
    AUG 18 HDNet --- MLS 103 - Kansas City at Columbus
    AUG 28 HDNet --- MLS 113 - Colorado at San Jose
    SEP 01 not shown MLS 093 - Kansas City at Chicago
    SEP 04 not shown MLS 115 - DC United at Chicago
    SEP 08 not shown MLS 120 - Columbus at San Jose
    SEP 10 not shown MLS 123 - Kansas City at Colorado
    SEP 18 HDNet --- MLS 130 - San Jose at Kansas City
    SEP 25 not shown MLS 132 - Colorado at Kansas City
    OCT 16 HDNet --- MLS 148 - San Jose at Dallas

Away Teams
    9 - Kansas City
    7 - Colorado
    2 - San Jose
    1 - DC United, Columbus

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only 3 of those games did not involve either KC or Colorado, 2 not shown and 1 HDNet only game.

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Of course that "1" game was KC vs Colorado, with the other 3 KC/COL matchups receiving no air time whatsoever.

On that basis alone, I'm predicting that KC will get past SJ and Colorado will get past LA. :p

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Apparently the Columbus at New England game will be shown on a local Columbus cable channel:

Time Warner Connection/Sport! TV

which on Time Warner's website is refered to as "and Central Ohio Sport! TV™, featuring local high school athletics!"

Awesome, baby! :p

As of right now, the playoffs look like this:
    Fri 9/22
    9:30pm HDNet Los Angeles at Colorado
    9:30pm FSW Los Angeles at Colorado
    9:30pm KWHY-22 Los Angeles at Colorado (DirectKick) (KWHY TD 11pm)

Sat 10/23
    7:05pm MSG Metro GameNight (1/2 hour) (iNDemand DirectKick)
    7:30pm MSG DC United at MetroStars (DirectKick)
    7:30pm CSN DC United at MetroStars
    7:30pm FSW DC United at MetroStars
    7:30pm WLVI-56 Columbus at New England (DirectKick)
    7:30pm SportTV Columbus at New England
    9:30pm FSW Columbus at New England (Delayed)
    Sun 10/24
    5:00pm espn2 Kansas City at San Jose
    Sat 10/30
    6:35pm MSG Metro GameNight (1/2 hour)
    7:00pm MSG MetroStars at DC United (DirectKick)
    7:00pm HDNet MetroStars at DC United
    7:00pm FSW MetroStars at DC United
    8:30pm FSBA-alt San Jose at Kansas City (DirectKick)
    10:00pm FSW Colorado at Los Angeles (DirectKick)
    Sun 10/31
    3:00pm FSW San Jose at Kansas City (Delayed)
    5:00pm espn2 New England at Columbus (3 hours)

- FSBA-alt is "Fox Sports Net Plus" and appears as an additional cable channel in San Jose area markets, and as FSBA-alternate on DirecTV and DISH Network.
    - I wonder if the DirectKick feed of Colorado at Los Angeles on 10/30 will carry the FSW audio?
    - If San Jose at Kansas City (10/30) runs to OT and/or PKs will the delayed FSW broadcast show the entire game?
    - I'm just guessing that the WLVI feed of Columbus at New England will be the DirectKick feed.
    - I'm also guessing - based on history (and iNDemand's invaluable schedule) - that MSG will be the DirectKick feed of United at MetroStars (9/23). Unfortunately the Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic feed will be blacked out and CSN-DC, unlike MSG, isn't rebroadcasting the game.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I meant that two of the games not shown anywhere and 1 game on HDNet had neither Colorado or KC playing in it. The other 9 games had either Colorado or KC (or for 3 of them, both) playing in it.

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA/Colorado on MLSNet.com has the video and Joe Tutino's radio call under, I believe. It's Joe, and it sounds like a simulcast of his radio call of the game.

So we think 130 is the number. That's 87% of the games available in non-high-def and that's $.53 a game, thereabouts. So all the bitching about the price of the Direct Kick going back up should be stifled as well.

11. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    I'm pretty sure MSG Network does its own MLS production with a semi-rotating team of full-timers (all MSG employees based in NY). Basically, they mostly seem to use a number of production crew members who either didn't get offered enough money to join YES or do hockey for a living (plenty of time to kill and make some extra money during the summer and a work stoppage).

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Actually, there were 24 espn2 games that weren't part of the shootout...

So for $69, DirectKick was 106 regular season and 8 post-season games.

or $69/114 per game. :p

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So $.61 a game.

Well, that's different. If it's going to be that much more, I'm not going to buy it anymore.

14. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, yeah, the Altitude broadcasts made it to DirecTV. I know this because I recorded some Rapids broadcasts from Altitude on my DirecTiVo, watched them, and realized that Mike Haynes, in addition to being an insufferable hockey announcer, is a really bad soccer announcer.

So far as I know, just about ever local broadcast made it onto DirecTV's Direct Kick. The only exception that comes to mind was an early-season Revs-Quakes game that was curiously the FSW game of the week. The really funny part was that while it wasn't on Direct Kick, it was on Fox Sports Net New England and was not blacked out. Weird.