MLS Live 2013

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by cjschlos, Feb 13, 2013.

1. cjschlos

cjschlos Member

Jan 21, 1999
    New York
    Figured it was time to start a new thread. I will answer questions for you guys here to ensure you have the latest information on our streaming system.

Some Basics.
    Upto 230 Live games in 2013, Full access to every game from 2010-2013 in the archive. There are blackouts based on our broadcast agreements, some local broadcasts will be blacked out for 24 hours and national broadcasts (ESPN, NBC, Univision) will be blacked out for 48. After the blackout period all 2013 games are available on the system.

Go Sign up:
    http://live.mlssoccer.com

As for platforms we will support this year:
    Computer, iOS, Roku, Panasonic TV's. We are in final testing of Android and hope to have it live ahead of 3/2, if we don't it will be live soon after. For Android we will support Android version 3.0 and above on phone and selected tablets.

We are also working on Windows 8 and should launch that later this spring. We are always looking at additional platforms but those are the only platforms that I can confirm at this time we will have in 2013.

2. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Do you know which android tablets? I have a nexus 7 and if it is supported I would sign up for sure.

3. sedlie

sedlie Member+

Apr 5, 2011
    Whoa, glad to have you back cjschlos . I thought maybe the site update had driven you away.

HP Touchpad with Android support?
    Minix Neo G4 support?

Not related to MLSLive directly, but do you know if NBCSports plans to stream any games on their website or with their app, a la ESPN3/WatchESPN app?

4. IndyMac

IndyMac Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Evansville, Indiana
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any chance we will be able to choose which local broadcast we watch, or is it still going to be just one feed for each game?

sedlie repped this.
  5. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    With regards to the Android app for select phones, will we have to download a new app, or will our current MLS app update?

6. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    I am assuming that those who need this most - those living abroad - will continue to use illegal feeds because MLS refuses to accept our money...

7. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS probably doesn't own the rights to those games (they sold them). I assume they would get sued if they offered them to you.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  8. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I REALLY like that they will be archiving blackout / nationally broadcast matches for later viewing. Will give me something to do at work on Monday... :whistling:

9. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    They've always done that. You just would have to wait 48 hours from the game's start time to actually watch it.

10. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    Well, I for one am very much looking forward to this, as we have completely cut the cord in our house, and stream everything through Roku or over the air. I am excited about the prospects of being able to watch all games (even if on a slight delay) - I often do not have an opportunity to watch live anyway, and I used to DVR to watch at night a few days later anyway.

Most of the time, however, I would just watch the 6 minute condensed match on mlssoccer.com. Is there a condensed match offering on MLS Live? It would be great if there was like a 15-20 minute condensed feed, though - 6 minutes seems a bit too short to get a flavor of a match.

11. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    They do have condensed matches of 15-20 minutes, but when it's on your computer you need to change it from full game to condensed at the bottom of the screen. In the other MLS Live thread, I detailed how to do it. I'll see if I can link it here.

12. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nexus 7 is still a top of the line Android tablet. I would assume it should work without issue if they use http live streaming instead of flash.

13. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may be mistaken, but I don't think this was available last year for the iOS devices.

14. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question:

Will the apps support the Opta stats this year? The MLS web site requires FLASH to view the Opta stats, which makes it a pain for iPad users.

15. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Any chance of an Xbox Live app?

16. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    IIRC, the Roku app's menu allows you to easily select a 15-20 minute condensed match.

17. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What happened to the free match per week option ?

18. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am really confused here. I had the MLS Live 2012 subscription and according to MLS Live we will automatically renew for the 2013 season on Jan 7 for 49.99. I looked at my CC statement, I see nothing. I read on MLS Live web site that February 15 is the auto renewal date. I know this is the Mickey Mouse part we are dealing with, but these conflicting messages don't help the situation because I don't want to get double billed if they are renewing this Friday automatically and I fill out a subscription for 2013 again. I am just waiting to see what MLS Live does before I do anything. Any insight on this would be great. Thanks.

19. sedlie

sedlie Member+

Apr 5, 2011
    Make sure your CC info is up-to-date on the website.

20. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will this be available on all iDevices?

21. Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Member

Apr 29, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully this means that we're getting Xbox and AppleTV support and those companies are doing the announcement themselves? Cuz that would be awesome.

22. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is not the issue. The issue is I purchased the subscription via Apple store/MLS Matchday App which I have this on my iPad. There shouldn't be any ambiguity whatsoever if MLS Live is using various platforms to attract subscribers. You are either in the system or you are not. Simply relying on the operations of various platforms to retain subscriptions are quite shortsighted because Apple or Android (Google) are not going to waste their time advertising someone else's product.

23. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    I understand that. Theoretically they have no obligation to sell anything to anybody, lawsuit or not. It is frustrating, though, that they sold international rights for a lump sum (I think) to a company that doesn't appear to have any real intention to develop small and medium markets.

Qdog repped this.
  24. btharner

btharner Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Selinsgrove, Pa.
    My MLSLive wish list. 1) a vault of classic games as on NHL Gamecenter (the offerings on Kick TV are rather meager). 2) No repetitive KickTV content at halftime of streamed games.

25. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    So we know if SUM sold international broadcast rights across all platforms (including online), or only the TV rights as part of the current international media deal(s)?