MLS listing on Yahoo

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by Worm Burner, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Worm Burner

Worm Burner New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Denver
    Yahoo just removed their MLS link from the main sports page. You now need to click on other sports to access MLS.

I already sent them feedback with my disappointment and I thought if there was anywhere to get others to do the same it was bigsoccer.

Here is the link...

http://add.yahoo.com/fast/help/sports/cgi_feedback

Let them know what you think.

2. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Good...so I wasn't the only one who was upset about that. Since when is Horse Racing considered more of a priority?

3. Worm Burner

Worm Burner New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Denver
    Exactly...I guess Segroves cares more about what's going on at the races than he does about the attention given to the MLS playoff race.

4. Power

Power New Member

Oct 8, 2001
    San Juan, PR
    We need your help !

I just send them a message. I dont understand their decission. Yahoo is a sponsor of MLS. Lets keep sending messages!

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Since more horse racing fans obviously use Yahoo to get their horse racing news.

Complaints don't matter. Clicks do. At this point, Yahoo's dollars in MLS coffers means a lot more than the placement of the link for MLS news.

If more soccer fans had used Yahoo for their MLS news, then I suspect the link would have remain. Why waste prime real estate on an audience that uses other means to get their news?

Links for portals are determined by metrics. They respond to the audience and users. Nothing more, nothing less. Write-in campains, etc... really don't mean anything.

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean the market makes a lot of these decisions?

Heresy, I tell you, heresy.

7. gosya

gosya Member

Feb 6, 2001
    New York
    Few people use yahoo for any sports news. there are plenty more in-depth websites that provide comprehensive information. I wouldn't be surprised if horse racing got more clicks than nba, nfl, mlb, etc. yet, you'll never see it before those sports. it's a combination of clicks and general interest for a particular sport.

8. Preston McMurry

Preston McMurry New Member

Jul 28, 1999
    Earth
    As you've found out, there is a cult of BigSoccer posters who consider themselves intellectually superior to others, and whose seeming sole postings consist of putting down others. (These posters are also known as 'moderators'.) Ignore them. Or, alternately, go away, with everyone else, until they are left here alone, attempting to one-up each other.

9. type_32

type_32 New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Huh?

1.) Why is it "obvious" that more people are using Yahoo to check horse racing than MLS?

2.) We love a relatively unpopular sport. The implication of you post is that the way to make it more popular is to just sit on our hands until <poof> it's more popular.

10. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just glad I don't have to click on other sports to get college football news. Does anybody go to Yahoo for MLS news? I don't, maybe for scores but that's it.

11. Moderators are a yawn.

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't see a single moderator in this thread.

13. Worm Burner

Worm Burner New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Denver
    I don't go to Yahoo for MLS news either, but it does help put MLS in front of the casual or nonsoccer fan. If MLS doesn't have a presence in various media, it is going to be a lot harder to convince people to check it out.

I do go to the MLS section on Yahoo daily, just to add another "click" to the log. I do the same with my local newspaper to let them know people are reading their MLS articles. The clicks add up.

If you don't care, that is fine, but I will do everything I can to support the MLS and keep it in the view of the mainstream.

14. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    Considering that they sponsor the friggin' league (don't they still sponsor the league) - this strikes me as a ridiculous move.

15. SoccerSD

SoccerSD Member

Mar 2, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Seeing as how they didn't have Fantasy MLS this year on Yahoo...I was never in the area to get my sports info from them.

It's a vicious circle.

16. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kenn, Mike, and Andy,

The guy was making a call to action, and his post didn't seem all that whiny to me. I think it is justifiable to ask yahoo to put the link back the way it was (which is different than going out of their way to add something that was never there).

Even though in the big scheme of things having a direct link to their MLS pages isn't a big deal, this is one of many many small things that can add up if people are active about it.

You might not want to be active about it, but I don't see a need to kibitz and discourage others.

Thanks,
    Paul

17. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Now we finally have a moderator in this thread!

This moderator is going to agree. There are times when I roll my eyes, but people sometimes just want to vent, and message boards are good for this. I'm just going to suggest that if people do contact Yahoo!, they be polite about it. Don't tee off on them; just say "Could you please put this back on the front page at least until the season is done?"

FWIW, the link to WUSA hasn't been on Yahoo!'s front page very much this season.

Ultimately, though, Yahoo! will love us if we, as soccer fans, get more people to be soccer fans, thus clicking on Yahoo! and thus resolving this question as Yahoo! won't even think about wanting to pull MLS off the front page because the sport is so popular.

18. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. photar74

photar74 New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    West Philly
    Re: Now we finally have a moderator in this thread!

This works for me too. I've made fun of threads that complain about soccer's coverage in the media before, but I think that this post is just fine, not whiny at all. Its just the sort of thing that should be on the B & M board.

MLS's profile in the mass media just slipped a bit. That is news, and its bad news.

20. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same thing here:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/wusa

21. gosya

gosya Member

Feb 6, 2001
    New York
    just for comparison, I went to all all sports pages at Yahoo! and voted on a question - quickest, although not the most precise way to check how many people visit that page. All votes were since Aug. 30.

MLB - no voting
    NFL - 2,716 (I think there are actually 32 questions on that page - for each team, depending when you click, so you can multiply by 32, approximately - ~64,000)
    NBA - 28,566
    NHL - 16,225
    NCAA Football - 27,060
    Golf - 5,536
    NASCAR - 8,459
    Tennis - no voting
    World Soccer - no voting
    Horse Racing - no voting
    MLS - 1,447:(

It's clear which one does not belong

22. photar74

photar74 New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    West Philly
    If another 4,000 votes in a poll is all it would have taken to keep MLS's profile up on Yahoo, thent he Bigsoccer poll stuffing machine could have saved it easily, had only we known. :)

23. jotadia

jotadia New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Miami
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just sent mine.

24. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    The ratings say otherwise. They're a powerhouse.

25. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    Yahoo! Sports is a sponsor of Major League Lacrosse. Try hunting for that link.

Sponsorship means nothing.