MLS / Liga MX merger

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by DHC1, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yes they are, hence the expanded Club World Cup, what's being discussed here is to minimize/diminish the CCL, which CONCACAF would take issue with.

FIFA likes to make profit their way...a super league doesn't profit them that much, mostly the club owners hence, super league never happening.

I can see the USSF wanting that but does the Mexican association wants it? The CSA would certainly not support it

2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CCL has been entertaining?

It’s not even on TV, how can it be entertaining? There’s no hype. No nothing. At best, it’s a preseason distraction for MLS teams. The only way it gets interesting is when MLS teams play Liga MX teams... other than, I just hope our players don’t get hurt.

TOAzer repped this.
  3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There will be hype in Seattle, Atlanta and LA this season.

And only Club America has attracted bigger home attendances than Montreal.

CCL record home attendances:

1. América 80,000
    2. América 66,208
    3. Montreal Impact 61,004
    4. América 56,783
    5. Montreal Impact 55,571
    6. Monterrey 53,500
    7. Seattle Sounders FC 42,885
    8. Seattle Sounders FC 42,836

Robert Borden repped this.
  4. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It is not up to MLS, Liga MX, the Costa Rican league etc to promote CCL. That's all CONCACAF, the more profits they make the better for them. If they don't care it's on them.

5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (Technically MLS does promote CCL as SUM is CONCACAF's marketing partner).

6. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    CL= CONCACAF League

I dont disagree with you but that's from your perspective and perhaps most Americans. Let's not project that onto the rest of the region.

But I agree, CONCACAF needs to find a better formula, current format for CCL doesn't work in my opinion

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  7. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Technically it's in the interest of everyone to have all parties promote CCL. Always found Canadian clubs doing a much better job in doing so overall. CCL is a big deal here and clubs hype it up

8. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    so we spent years trying to outgrow Mexican soccer both from a national team and domestic league perspective and now Garber wants to join up with his World Soccer co- Vice President and create a unified league? isent Canada enough? the guy has too many positions. Conflict of interest.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  9. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Good analysis on ESPN

10. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a nutshell, the worst thing they’ve ever heard.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think 99% of folks understand why it would happen. The almighty dollar.
    But 99% of folks understand that logistically its impossible. Impossible.
    I don't think you even get by the hurdle of FIFA in the first place.

What Herc proposed makes a lot of sense. The two leagues can continue fleshing out a cup competition that is separate from one conjoined league.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  12. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Problem with that is that CONCACAF looks to expand both CL & CCL which might limit the ability of that league Cup competition to grow. Mexican clubs will always prioritize CCL over the league cup.

Also, from CONCACAF point of view, MLS were always arguing about a congestion of games/ too many games which prompt the Confederation to rework the CCL format to accommodate them. Now they are willing to grow it, which kind of defeat that original argument.

That's why the region will most likely revert back to group stages and make CL like Europa or Sudamericana and make it last most of the year.

13. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not why they ditched the group format. MLS and Liga MX wanted more matches between MLS and Liga MX teams. Also, neither league liked the group format. Liga MX teams would often field youth or B Teams for the away matches, same with MLS teams.

If Concacaf really wants to get the buy in from the two wealthiest leagues in its region it needs to make it more worth their while, i.e. greater $$$.

That's all this is about, MONEY. Why do you think Liga MX and MLS started the Leagues Cup? Here's a few hints...starts in M, ends in Y and I'm not talking about Monday........MONEY.

Why is Concacaf trying to grow the CL and CCL??? $$$$$

14. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That was mainly the reason they gave for wanting out of the group stage. It was an ESPN article I posted earlier, but of course, money was the main motivation for sure.

I agree, the prize money compare to the other Confederations is ridiculous and need to be increased. It's the chicken or the egg though, the tournament needs to grow in scope too. It's unrealistic to expect the kind of prize money like Europe and South America when our tournament is literally a joke in it's current format...so you got to expand it.

Also, that FIFA Club World Cup berth might not matter to US soccer fans but it matters to Liga MX clubs who sees it as an opportunity to grow their brand on a global scale.

Lastly, the other Confederations went to the "growing pains" of average/weak clubs getting destroyed by stronger opposition. That's what happened on Europe and you can witness it now in South America with Sudamericana. They did it right. CONCACAF has to do it to.

15. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    How does expanding CCL make CONCACAF more money? There were more teams before in CCL and the pay out was still very very poor. Unless they add more Liga MX and MLS teams, I don't see how adding more teams from the rest of CONCACAF will make them more money.

16. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #66 Robert Borden, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    Bingo.

Dont be shock if you see CONCACAF league berths being given to MLS and Liga MX clubs on top of their champions league berths.

You could see US and Mexico keep 4 CCL spot each but having the next best teams (1 or 2) going into CCL qualifiers and an extra 4 going into CONCACAF League each. If those leagues can play League Cup, they can play CONCACAF football and of course....more money for the Confederation.

If you look at how CONMEBOL table looks like for the 2 strongest leagues, that's a lot of clubs seeing Continental competition on their respective table. Wouldn't surprise me if CONCACAF went that direction.

It's a great way to keep the level high while gradually integrating other league's clubs that are improving. They can't improve if they aren't exposed to this level of competition and learn from it.

Brazil
    Screenshot_20200318-181706_FotMob.jpg

Argentina
    Screenshot_20200318-181731_FotMob.jpg

Green - Copa Libertadores
    Yellow - Copa Libertadores Qualifications
    Blue - Sudamericana

This was posted on the Voyageurs Forum (to give you an idea)

Champions League
    • Mexico (4)
    • USA (4)
    • Canada (2)
    • Top 2 clubs from each Central American league - Panama, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua (12)
    • Caribbean Club Championship winner (1)
    • Previous year CONCACAF League winner (1)
    • Previous year Champions League winner (1)
    • Champions League playoffs Qualifiers winners (7)
    Group stage 8 groups of 4 team, top 2 advance to knockout like UEFA
    • Winner qualifies for FIFA Club World Cup* & next year Champions League
    *Tournament being expanded could see more clubs from the Semifinals qualify

Notes
    • The Champions League Level of play not only remains high, but increasing the exposure to quality teams/leagues will help the rest improve
    • Group Stage should be in the fall and knockout in the Spring
    • Significantly increasing the prize money is necessary to sell this expanded competition to Liga MX and MLS
    • The fact that more of MLS & Liga MX clubs could get berths and be involved (see below) is a good way to keep more teams with something to play for. More fans would be invested in CONCACAF which in terms is good to raise the popularity and prestige of soccer and more clubs
    Champions League playoffs

Notes:
    1. 14 clubs
    2. Draw to set up the home and away series
    3. 2 games in August
    4. Involving more Liga MX and MLS teams (they would be up to 6 berths at this point) is a good way to get more fans to be invested in CONCACAF and more variety of clubs & players,
    Berths
    • Best 3rd overall club from each Central American league (6)
    • Caribbean Club Championship runner ups (3)
    • Canada (1)
    • USA (2) (5th-6th best)
    • Mexico (2) (5th-6th best)
    -7 winners advance to Champions League group stage

-7 losers advance to CONCACAF League Group Stage (Europa Model) or Round of 16 knockout bracket (Sudamericana model)

CONCACAF League

- Using the Europa formula with group stage or Sudamericana massive knockout tournament

Europa League format
    • Losers Champions League playoffs (7)
    • Central America (4th-5th best) (12)
    • Caribbean Club Shield finalists (2)
    • Canada (2)
    • Mexico (4) (7th-10th best) or (7th to 9th + Domestic cup)
    • USA (4) (7th-10th best) or (7th to 9th + US Open)
    • Belize (1)
    Group stage 8 groups of 4 team, top 2 advance to knockout like UEFA
    • Winner qualifies for FIFA next year Champions League

Sudamericana Format

-1st Round of home & away matches involving 36 clubs

-2nd Round involves the 18 clubs who won their playoffs

-(9) remaining clubs will be seeded with the 7 clubs who lost their Champions League playoffs (7) to Round of 16 knockout stage

-Winner qualifies for next year Champions League

Note
    • Previous rounds in the fall, Round of 16 Knockout stage in the spring
    • Potential to include even more clubs while keeping the amount of games low (Sudamericana involves 44 clubs from 10 nations meeting 10 clubs at the next stage, CONCACAF invite more clubs as they level up

17. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I like that format and the idea is good but there is a big drop off in quality in all CA leagues after their 2 best teams. The Caribbean leagues, which many are amateur, are even worst. I don't think we have enough quality to have a second competition like South America or Europe.

There is no doubt CONCACAF is going to try and screw over Liga MX and MLS with the Leagues Cup because it's money CONCACAF don't have control of. So simply making CCL a year long event with more teams will simply kill Leagues Cup.

18. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #68 Robert Borden, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    You're right about the big drop off after the top 2 in Central America. What matters is Champions league remaining strong. As shown in the format, potentially, the winners of those qualifiers would be mostly MLS and Liga MX clubs on top of the previous year CCL & CL champions.

That's more MLS vs Liga MX and when clubs from other leagues makes it far, this format ensures that they truly deserve to be there.

As for CONCACAF league, it would be a piece of cake for mid-table MLS and Liga MX clubs for the foreseeable future but making it attainable for other clubs to make it far against these team or even upset. That's exposing more clubs and talent to high quality football, which should raise their level in turn.

Liga MX vs MLS games in a format where it truly matters makes it more exciting than having all the games in the US. That's more game with the "suspense" of having to get a result elsewhere in CONCACAF which is something we have to learn to do more consistently in my opinion.

19. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Montagliani on the Liga MX-MLS merger. Short term, expect an expanded CCL tournament involving more Liga MX and MLS clubs.

Three and Three repped this.
  20. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

/thread

21. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That's one thing, something with which I could live. A merger would be disaffecting; I'd lose all interest. Mexico has its league, we - the United States - have ours. Our teams will meet when they're meant to meet, i.e., in international competitions.

22. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liga MX has 55% of Federation votes so it gets what it wants.

23. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #73 Eleven Bravo, May 11, 2020
    Last edited: May 11, 2020
    At first, I thought it was a joke. But the more and more I see it in the news, the more I believe we need to embrace this as a future reality.

What I conceive is something that does away with the CCL and is replaced by a Leagues Cup.

Because of Corona, MLS will probably halt expansion for awhile... tell the truth, I’m worried about the new teams coming in. Horrible timing for Nashville, Austin, Sacramento, Charlotte, St Louis, and Miami. I hope they can stay afloat.

Nonetheless, that puts MLS at 30 teams. Break up into conferences - 6 groups of 5 teams.

South - Atlanta, Orlando, Miami, Nashville, Charlotte

East - DC, Philly, NYRB, NYCFC, New England

North - Toronto, Montreal, Cincinnati, Columbus, Minnesota

Central - Chicago, Kansas City, St Louis, RSL, Colorado

West - Galaxy, LAFC, Dallas, Houston, Austin

Pacific - San Jose, Sacramento, Vancouver, Seattle, Portland

...For MLS, conference games home/away. Alternate home/away outside of conference. 33 games.

...then break Liga MX into 2 groups of 9 teams... Liga Norte vs Liga Sud. Home/away + alternating home/away inside conference. Alternating home/away outside conference. 33 games.

For the Leagues Cup,

MLS conference champions = 6 teams
    + best 2 runners-up as wild cards

For Liga MX, top 4 from both Norte and Sud.

16 teams tournament.

Use this Coronavirus, to get MLS/Liga MX on the same schedule.

Primary drawback is that this would essentially not only do away with CCL, but it might do away with MLS Cup.

Also, MLS is going to have to “let the dogs out” so to speak... and quit handicapping teams if they hope to compete.

Ultimately, I like it. North America is basically just USA and Mexico. We will never replicate the UEFA champions league. Hell, we can’t even be Africa, Asia, or South America. It doesn’t make sense to treat North America as such. But what North America does have is a very fierce potential rivalry between USA and Mexico that is being under utilized in club soccer. So, if we stoke this fire. We make both our leagues better. And make more owners, sponsors, and players want to play here instead of in Europe. It might be awhile before we leaped over the top 5 in Europe, but a North American League that capitalized on what USA and Mexico can offer, could launch us into big 6 territory.

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor has it that Canada is also on North America and judging by TV ratings MLS appears to be more popular in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver than it is in most MLS cities in the US.

You can't do away with CCL. It's run by the Confederation. No CCL, no ratification. It's also a SUM production.

I'm not worried for the new clubs. They're rolling in money. Austin have taken over 30k season ticket deposits. I'd be more worried about certain existing clubs, the Red Bulls for instance.

Finally how do you cope with US clubs taking a winter break, while Mexican clubs are forced to take a summer break?

25. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #75 Eleven Bravo, May 11, 2020
    Last edited: May 11, 2020
    Canada is just an auxiliary country to the US lol.

MLS isn’t beholden to CONCACAF. If Liga Mx and MLS band together, CONCACAF can’t stop them. Even if somehow MLS/Mx were forced to play in the CCL... If this merger was serious, they’d both just play reserve squads for the CCL. It has been a joke tournament so far anyways

I could see both changing their schedules around if they’re serious.

In the end, it’ll come down to money... nothing else. Will this merger make more money than it would if they did not merge?

I’m not saying they will nor that they necessarily should. But it’s interesting. And it would definitely raise the profile of both leagues.

Also, I bet MLS and MX are afraid of China and maybe some of these upstart leagues too. I still believe MLS has the edge but it’s still trying to prove that it’s a destination league. If you add in the heated rivalries and get these games broadcasted and marketed as a legitimate tournament, you have a reason to tune in.