MLS Is Back Tournament Draw

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Berks, Jun 11, 2020.

1. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Honestly the thought of watching Schelotto try to outcoach anyone in this tournament is a depressing one - I don't think we can win with him at the helm. Nothing has really changed since our opening losses of the season.

MLS is hard to watch on tv as it is, with no crowd it's going to be like watching a pre-season scrimmage. But at least it's something.... Hope the league get's it right.

kaburu and TrickHog repped this.
  2. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Unfortunately, this is true. This was the season to either have Guillermo live up to expectations of get to stepping. Now as the players age a year more and due to force majeure events we have to wait yet again for a new season to begin in 2021. I do not expect the FO to make any moves in the coaching department except maybe Don seeking greener pastures as his hope to maybe become Galaxy's head stretches also yet another year.This situation sucks size fives.

As a fan however, I will be watching Guillermo like a hawk. He needs to show he has a plan at the very least and that the players are behind him by end of year.

3. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I disagree about Efrain. IMO, he has a ton of talent, but in all the games that I have watched him play (a small sample to be honest), he's not shown any hustle and little or no speed. Kind of the inverse of Altuna, who showed a lot of offensive hustle and moments of defensive hustle, along with a weak shot and poor cross.

I think that they might be get better results with Klkestan and Cuello each playing a half especially with 5 subs

4. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Cadaver repped this.
  5. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Granted Age a is inexperienced to a point in comparison with players like Sasha and Emil but while Klejestan is on his home stretch a young player like Efra is what we need to be polishing right now. Alvarez has shown he has an innate ability to drive and make excellent crosses to his team mates with precision and under pressure. The lack of hustle may be he does not yet feel comfortable for stretches and that needs to be worked on by playing him through subs and/or a start here and there and that I believe right quick. This kid is hungry. He's already under the Mexican radar. He is not a new sign. He's been here a while and we need to allow him the time to show us what he has and can become.

6. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    As a former coach I can almost guarantee he gets to show what he has in training/scrimmages every day. His speed, skill, strength, hustle, finishing ability, defensive effort, game IQ, etc. are all on display every time they practice. The progress of these guys is a just a mystery to us fans.

I understand there is the rare “game-day-only player” but >95% of the time the best players in practice turn out to be the best players in games. And vice-versa. It’s us fans who tend to fall into the grass-is-greener mindset, wanting to elevate the abilities of the players we aren’t seeing. It’s only natural - otherwise where do we find hope when our starters aren’t getting it done?!

Having said this I really hope Efrain becomes a star. To do that he has to improve his work rate on both sides of the ball - that has been my biggest knock on him so far.

ProudNatRN, JPAR, hav77 and 2 others repped this.
  7. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    With regard to Efrain it just feels like its time to start pushing the issue even tho Bruin73 points are valid in what we have seen of him so far along with some very interesting play. Granted It's just a feeling and nobody knows what the coaching staff sees in him that would justify his long rides on that bench but as a somewhat patient fan that I have been, I would like to start seeing him more in matches this year, or what's left of it.

I am no coach but at what point does guarded development turn into arrested development?

At his young age he has not only lots of talent but lots of experience both abroad with Mexico at the youth international level but also his two years practicing with Galaxy and his seldom appearances. Time to begin a slow introduction into the team matches IMHO and let come what may. From a fan's point of view.

8. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I don't follow the Mexican National team other than a few games in the major international tournaments, and follow their youth teams even less. However, I seem to recall that Efrain was not a star in his games for those youth teams In one game, I seem to remember the team playing much better after he was replaced at half. Perhaps someone who follows them could share their sense of his play.

ProudNatRN repped this.
  9. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So our schedule in that pretend tourney is:

Mon July 13th 7:30PM vs Porta Potty
    Sat July 18th 7:30PM vs Shitvas 2
    Thur July 23rd 5PM vs Screwston

10. galvanator

galvanator Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Atascadero, CA USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see the broadcast schedule is released.
    • Monday, July 13, 7:30 p.m. PT – LA Galaxy vs. Portland Timbers (FS1/TUDN/TSN)
    • Saturday, July 18, 7:30 p.m. PT – LA Galaxy vs. LAFC (ESPN/ESPN Deportes/TSN)
    • Thursday, July 23, 5 p.m. PT – LA Galaxy vs. Houston Dynamo (FS1/TUDN/TSN)
    If I understand it correctly, ESPN+ will not be broadcasting any of the Galaxy group games live since they will be broadcast on ESPN or FS1 per this:

MLS LIVE on ESPN+ does not include live streams from ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, FOX, FS1, Univision or UniMás.

Anyone know if replays will be available on ESPN+?

hav77, 73Bruin and ProudNatRN repped this.
  11. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Usually they are available 48 hours after the original airing, IIRC.

12. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes even less, could be 24 hours and in some cases same day if the game happened earlier in the day. I definitely remember times where the game was at 5, and then I could watch online at say...9-10pm.

TrickHog repped this.
  13. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    For those who wish to print out and get ready for other interesting matches:

MLS Is Back tournament schedule

(all times Pacific)

First round

July 8: Orlando City vs. Inter Miami CF, 5 p.m. (ESPN / ESPN Deportes); Nashville vs. Chicago Fire, 7:30 p.m. (ESPN / ESPN Deportes)

July 9: New York City vs. Philadelphia Union, 6 a.m. (ESPN / ESPN Deportes); Montreal Impact vs. New England Revolution, 5 p.m. (TUDN); FC Dallas vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC, 7:30 p.m. (TUDN)

July 10: Toronto vs. D.C. United, 5 p.m. (ESPN / ESPN Deportes); Seattle Sounders vs. San Jose Earthquakes, 7:30 p.m. (ESPN / ESPN Deportes)

July 11: Atlanta United vs. New York Red Bulls, 5 p.m. (FOX / TUDN); Cincinnati vs. Columbus Crew, 7:30 p.m. (FS1 / TUDN)

July 12: Sporting Kansas City vs. Minnesota United, 5 p.m. (ESPN / ESPN Deportes); Real Salt Lake vs. Colorado Rapids, 7:30 p.m. (ESPN / ESPN Deportes)

July 13: LAFC vs. Houston Dynamo, 5 p.m. (FS1 / TUDN); Galaxy vs. Portland Timbers, 7:30 p.m. (FS1 / TUDN)

July 14: Inter Miami vs. Chicago Fire, 6 a.m. (ESPN / ESPN Deportes); Philadelphia Union vs. Nashville, 5 p.m. (TUDN); Orlando City vs. New York City, 7:30 p.m. (TUDN)

July 15: Seattle Sounders vs. Dallas, 6 a.m. (ESPN / ESPN Deportes); Montreal Impact vs. Toronto, 5 p.m. (TUDN); Vancouver Whitecaps vs. San Jose Earthquakes, 7:30 p.m. (TUDN)

July 16: Atlanta United vs. Cincinnati, 6 a.m. (ESPN / ESPN Deportes); D.C. United vs. New England Revolution, 5 p.m. (FS1 / TUDN); Columbus Crew vs. New York Red Bulls, 7:30 p.m. (FS1 / TUDN)

July 17: Sporting Kansas City vs. Colorado Rapids, 5 p.m. (ESPN / ESPN Deportes); Real Salt Lake vs. Minnesota United, 7:30 p.m. (ESPN / ESPN Deportes)

July 18: Portland Timbers vs. Houston Dynamo, 5 p.m. (ESPN2 / ESPN Deportes);LAFC vs. Galaxy, 7:30 p.m. (ESPN / ESPN Deportes)

July 19: New York City vs. Chicago Fire, 5 p.m. (FS1 / TUDN); Philadelphia Union vs. Inter Miami, 7:30 p.m. (FS1 / TUDN)

July 20: Orlando City vs. Nashville, 6 a.m. (ESPN / ESPN Deportes); Dallas vs. San Jose Earthquakes, 5 p.m. (TUDN); Seattle Sounders vs. Vancouver Whitecaps, 7:30 p.m. (TUDN)

July 21: Toronto vs. New England Revolution, 6 a.m. (ESPN / ESPN Deportes); Atlanta United vs. Columbus Crew, 5 p.m. (TUDN); Montreal Impact vs. D.C. United, 7:30 p.m. (TUDN)

July 22: Real Salt Lake vs. Sporting Kansas City, 6 a.m. (ESPN / ESPN Deportes); Cincinnati vs. New York Red Bulls, 5 p.m. (ESPN / ESPN Deportes); Colorado Rapids vs. Minnesota United FC, 7:30 p.m. (ESPN / ESPN Deportes)

July 23: Galaxy vs. Houston Dynamo, 5 p.m. (FS1 / TUDN); LAFC vs. Portland Timbers, 7:30 p.m. (ESPN2 / ESPN Deportes)

Berks, MPNumber9, hav77 and 3 others repped this.
  14. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Darn, we dont play until 6th day of tourney. So many things can go wrong in 6 day - wish we played earlier in schedule. In any case - Go Galaxy!

15. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Hernández: Galaxy prodigy Efraín Álvarez returns from shutdown a new man. 'Quarantine helped me'
    Dylan Hernández
    [​IMG]June 26, 2020, 3:11 PM PDT

[​IMG]
    Efraín Álvarez practices with the Galaxy on June 12 at Dignity Health Sports Park. The 18-year-old midfielder used the coronavirus shutdown to improve his lifestyle with healthier eating and a new workout program.(Kelvin Kuo / Associated Press)
    He’s special. Throughout his childhood in East Los Angeles, that was obvious to everyone, from his Mexican immigrant parents laboring at a meatpacking plant to the former players guiding his soccer career.

Efraín Álvarez started playing for youth national teams at 12 and signed his first professional contract at 15. Last year, at 16, he made his Major League Soccer debut as a late-game substitute and created two goals in a season-opening comeback victory for his hometown team, the Galaxy.

“He’s the best talent in MLS by far,” declared Zlatan Ibrahimovic, the world-class striker who was a teammate at the time.

Yet now, a week after his 18th birthday, Alvarez is already at a crossroads, with observers wondering if he will climb to be the next Christian Pulisic or slide like Freddy Adu.

- ADVERTISEMENT -
    Pulisic, 21, successfully transitioned from child prodigy to international star, theestablished leader of the U.S. national team’s attack who commanded a $73 million transfer fee when he was sold by the German club team Borussia Dortmund to Chelsea of England. Adu was compared to Pele when he broke into MLS at 14, only to become a journeyman. At 31, Adu is out of the game.

If Álvarez played baseball or basketball, this wouldn’t potentially be a make-or-break year from him. But soccer demands more sooner, at least from players with Álvarez’s upside. Even top teams routinely give opportunities to teenagers. This week, a 15-year-old nicknamed the “Mexican Messi” appeared in Spain’s first division. His teammates included a 19-year-old from Japan already four years into his own career.

As well as Álvarez played in the opener for the Galaxy and at the Under-17 World Cup for Mexico, he spent the majority of his rookie MLS season in the background, starting only four games. His distinct qualities — the precision of his left foot, his sense of anticipation and timing — didn’t entirely make up for the reality that he was a boy playing against men.

He wasn’t taking care of his body, leading to concerns about how his stocky 5-foot-8 frame might look in the future. His defense bordered on nonexistent. He retained the mindset of youth player who was always a couple of steps ahead of opponents because of his advanced technique and know-how.

“I was thinking, ‘With my attacking [talent], I can do anything I want,” Álvarez said.

Ibrahimovic convinced him change was necessary. As the greatest scorer of his generation outside of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, the outspoken Swede’s words carried weight. Before he joined the Galaxy, Ibrahimovic played for many of the world’s most prestigious teams, including Juventus, Inter Milan, Barcelona, AC Milan, Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester United.

“Efra, if you ever want to play in Europe, you have to be at your max every day,” Álvarez said he was told by Ibrahimovic. “It’s a live-or-die situation.”

Álvarez recalled Ibrahimovic’s advice when the MLS season was suspended in March because of the coronavirus outbreak.

“It was time for me to change,” he said.

[​IMG]
    Mexico's Efraín Álvarez, left, fights for the ball with Brazil's Pedro Lucas during the 2019 U-17 World Cup final. (Eraldo Peres / Associated Press)
    Álvarez consulted his 29-year-old brother, Carlos, who plays for the San Diego Loyal of the United Soccer League, a second-tier pro league.

Carlos emphasized eating healthier and in smaller portions. He encouraged replacing sports drinks and potato chips with water and fruits. He provided nutritional supplements from a company that sponsors him and his wife, Renae Cuellar, who represented Mexico at the 2015 Women’s World Cup.

Cuellar’s father runs a soccer training facility in the City of Industry and helped Efraín develop a workout program that included resistance bands and dumbbells.

Carlos also preached the importance of defense. "In the game right now, as an offensive player, you have to defend,” Carlos said. “There's no such thing any more as the luxury No. 10 or the forward who doesn't run. Now, everybody runs.”

Messi, who is the best player in the world, defends. So does Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez, the all-time leading scorer of the Mexican national team who plays for the Galaxy.

Carlos believes his own shortcomings on defense are why he lasted only three years in MLS. He was once a highly regarded prospect himself, selected by now-defunct Chivas USA with the No. 2 overall pick in the 2013 draft.

“I went through stuff that I don’t want him to go through,” Carlos said.

Conventional wisdom would hold that MLS’ shutdown deprived Álvarez of four critical months of development. The league, which started in February, won’t restart play until next month.

But Álvarez didn’t see the downtime as a waste.

“The quarantine helped me,” he said.

When the Galaxy reopened their facility for individual workouts last month, management was pleasantly surprised by the degree to which their academy graduate had reduced his body fat while gaining muscle.

“I think it speaks very well of him,” said general manager Dennis te Kloese, who also worked with Álvarez in the Mexican Football Federation.

Álvarez noticed improvements when the Galaxy resumed full-squad workouts this month.

“I can move more,” he said. “When you cut sharp. All the little stuff.”

And when he defends, he closes down on his opponents quicker.

[​IMG]
    When the Galaxy resumed full-squad workouts this month, Álvarez said he noticed improvements after reducing his body fat and gaining muscle. (Robert Mora / LA Galaxy)
    Te Kloese wants Álvarez to model himself after Galaxy winger Cristian Pavon, a member of Argentina’s 2018 World Cup team who combines creativity with a steady work rate. If Alvarez defends with more enthusiasm and attacks with greater efficiency, Te Kloese said he should receive more playing time.

Alvarez is expected to have chances at the MLS is Back Tournament in Orlando, in which the league’s 26 teams are scheduled to compete in a World Cup-style event. The Galaxy are expected to play three games in 11 days starting July 13, and Álvarez figures to see plenty of action as his veteran teammates work their way into shape.

“I think this is the year I do something big for myself and for my family,” Álvarez said.

Performing well for the Galaxy could result in an important opportunity in Europe.

“But of course, if I have the chance, I’d love to go play there," Álvarez said. "It’s every soccer player’s dream.”

While MLS has improved in recent years, Europe’s top leagues remain the standard. The players are better and the salaries higher. Álvarez would prefer to make such a move sooner than later.

“If I ever want Europe, it’s time now,” he said. “… I want to go as soon as possible to adapt there as well.”

[​IMG]
    Galaxy midfielder Efraín Álvarez, left, joins teammates celebrating a goal against Sporting Kansas City in 2019 at Dignity Health Sports Park. (Ringo H.W. Chiu / Associated Press)
    During international competitions, Alvarez intends to continue representing Mexico. A dual citizen, the bilingual Alvarez played for the United States, his birth country, at the under-15 level. He switched to his parents’ homeland in 2016. Alvarez remains eligible to play for both countries because he hasn’t appeared in an official competition at the senior level.

“I have my doors open, but right now I’m happy with Mexico,” Alvarez said. “If everything goes as planned, I would love to stay in Mexico.”

As the former director of Mexico’s youth national teams, Te Kloese has closely observed a number of child prodigies. Some became stars. Many disappeared. Asked what separates the player who makes it from the one who doesn’t, Te Kloese replied, “I think it’s basically mentality and character.”

Te Kloese added that environment is crucial. The people overseeing the development of a player have to manage his ego while maintaining his confidence and exercise patience as he learns the parts of the game his talented permitted him to ignore as a youth player.

“These kids, with their special talent, they need some special management,” Te Kloese said. “I think it’s worth paying a lot of attention to these kids because they’re different. They can make a difference for a team or a federation or a club team. You need to be careful with them because you can’t just grab them from a tree. In our specific case of Efra, I think he’s really worth the investment because he’s very talented.”

Te Kloese would like to think the Galaxy are providing Alvarez with the proper support. As for the necessary mentality and character, he’s hopeful Alvarez has discovered them.

16. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for Alvarez. I note that the Galaxy seem to have had no part in advising a diet or workout regiment.

skydog, JPAR, natfaninla and 1 other person repped this.
  17. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey everyone, a reminder: Please don’t post full articles. You can post the most pertinent paragraph or two and a link. But you shouldn’t copy the full text of an article.

El Futbolisimo repped this.
  18. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Yep, that's what jumped up at me also. No nutritionist on staff at all or even as a periodic consultant on key players like the designated or especially the young ones in development. Blows the mind at this level.:eek:

Take care of your investments Galaxy, for the love of...

19. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    #69 73Bruin, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Both of your comments are at odds with the Galaxy's staff directory that lists 2 sports dieticians. One for, I presume, the senior team(s) and the second more focused on the youth teams. One caveat, they both seem affiliated with Herbalife.

However, I also don't believe for a minute that the Mexican National team doesn't provide nutritional counselling for member of their youth teams. I find it much more likely that he ignored their advice until it became personally important to him at which point he reached out to his family.

20. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's certainly possible that the Galaxy staff is very active in this area, but they just got no credit in the article. We don't know the full story.

TrickHog and 73Bruin repped this.
  21. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, guys.
    I miss this team. GALAXY!

The Beautiful Gamer, Berks and TrickHog repped this.
  22. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I agree that we don't know the full story. The dieticians could be window dressing from Herbalife, Efrain could be unwilling to follow their advice for both sound and unsound reasons. There are all kinds of possibilities, except that you can't just blame the Galaxy management for inaction based on what was in the article.

23. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Well, I beg to differ. If I was Te Kloese and I saw this article in the times my first action would be to get to the entire training staff on monday morning. My first question to them would be: Folks, are we bush league or are we major league? Major league? great. Why then is there an article in the local paper telling everybody that Efra prefers to go to his bro in San Diego for nutritional advice and not our two dieticians supposedly on staff? Why is the kid asking and getting a workout program from Cuellar's father then our trainers on staff? I mean, this is embarrassing and I believe you are right to believe the Herbalife people just window dressing.

Sure the kid could be neglectful and ignoring good advice but its not anybody else's responsibility but Galaxy's to make sure a prospect like Alvarez takes his career seriously. Alvarez would be second person I talk to as to why he felt he could not come to his own team for advice.

ProudNatRN, hav77, MPNumber9 and 2 others repped this.
  24. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did say "seem to have had no part" in my original post - casting shade for sure, but with some room or doubt.

TrickHog repped this.
  25. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    You seem to want to assign responsibility for Efrain's prior lack of fitness to the Galaxy and their management. Do you think that Te Kloese and the rest of the Galaxy couldn't see the baby fat on him or that they just suddenly started testing body composition? Do really think that this wasn't discussed last year or even previously? Do you think that no one discussed this with Efrain?

Now I'm frankly encouraged that he is in better shape and that this could bode well for both the Galaxy and Efrain's long term career. However, as a parent, I remember that advice given teenagers is not always followed and on more than one occasion ignored. They like adults, myself included, make their own choices.

ProudNatRN, TrickHog and Beakmon FC repped this.