MLS Is Back B*iches Tournament!

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by m vann, Jun 12, 2020.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let’s post all our tournament info here!

TheWarmBurger and Rod1916 repped this.
  2. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    So far the referees have been atrocious ... hopefully they will get better.

3. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

4. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could we trade out MN for FC Dallas, then I will be really into this Tourney.

Sports Yak and Dom. FC repped this.
  5. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    This issue doesn’t apply to the Rapids, but does to the teams in group A.

JasonMa repped this.
  6. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Nice writeup on the Tourney:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/06/15/armchair-analyst-how-win-tournament-take-lessons-world-cup

Interestingly, the Rapids get a decent amount of "air time" or whatever you call it in print..."article time?"

Anyways, while I agree his point that the Rapids were un-freaking-believable (as the "armchair analyst" likes to use that expression alot) on set pieces, I think Doyle is making the same flaw that I'm sure a lot of teams will be making....

The Rapids under Fraser - while still successful on set pieces - are not focused on simply winning set pieces to win the game. We're really good at it, and of course we should be. Price whipping 'em in, Kamara jumping everywhere? Deadly. Our last several games under him showed this much, and its something that seems to be overlooked constantly. We've done a lot more than just sit back, defend well, and hope to get a counter attack that will win us a free kick somewhere.

If all people expect out of the Rapids is set piece goals, then I think we are going to take a lot of people by surprise. Namli, Benezet, Acosta, and Shinyashiki all like to play possession ball as well as break out with speed. Lewis and Nicholson have speed on the wings, but can also do more than "just wait for a counter and hope to win set pieces." Kei likes to pressure, but he also plays it smart and makes sure that he's in a positive position at almost all times. Rubio and Mezquida are hot-heads who like to get physical in the game.

I'm tired of people calling us a set-piece team. But at the same time, I'm thankful for it. While we kick some serious butt at set pieces, and seem to win a fair amount of set pieces each game, we are A LOT more than just a set-piece team. People seem to miss out on all the work it takes to get into positions where you're winning set pieces in places where you score 20 set piece goals. That's more than just "dumb luck" or "quick restarts" as the majority of writers seem to be implying about us.

Andy126, Rod1916 and m vann repped this.
  7. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fans might make that mistake. Writers (fans who get paid) might make that mistake. Coaches (at least good ones) won't.

Rod1916, COMtnGuy and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  8. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  9. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  10. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  11. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Athletic leaked the schedule:

Rapids games (MT, all on ESPN):

July 12th vs. FSL - 8:30pm

July 17th vs. KC - 6pm

July 22nd vs. Minnesota - 8:30pm

13. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Welp. That's unfortunate:

14. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Andy126 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  15. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunday, Friday, Wednesday. For those of you that didn't want to look at the calendar.

*shurg*

While the player is now out for 2 weeks at a minimum now, I think we should consider the fact that testing positive versus showing symptoms are different things.

16. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Very true.

Unfortunately this means that training is also temporarily suspended - which sets the team as a whole further back. And if it were a key player like Namli, Kamara, etc., that two weeks of no training shortens the already short "preseason-esque" training all the players are going through - meaning less time working on fitness, and less time as a group working on tactics, etc.

Hopefully no one else tests positive. The Orlando Pride had to pull out of the NWSL because of too many positive tests. Would hate to see that happen to the 'Pids.

17. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really we seem to have solid depth, my concern would be if Kamara or a starting outside back, otherwise I think we can easily “replace” them.

18. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  19. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    According to The Athletic piece, all Rapids matches in the group stage will be aired on ESPN.

It could be a lot worse, when Orlando Pride players recently tested positive the Pride pulled out of the NWSL competition in Utah scheduled to start soon.

Asymptomatic/presymtomatic transmission seems to be a major reason why Covid is so hard to get a handle on.

20. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    1276173457349152768 is not a valid tweet id

COMtnGuy repped this.
  21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *gulp*

COMtnGuy repped this.
  22. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #22 m vann, Jun 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    Ugh! I’m afraid we are going to see more players test positive as we inch closer to a return. Gut feeling. I hate my gut feeling. In fact, I think this whole bunker down in Orlando is going to be a mistake for MLS and NBA especially with Florida’s numbers are on the rise. All I can do is wish for healthy and precautious players, coaches, and staff.

23. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100% agree with you. I'm *really* having a hard time not going off on a rant about putting profits/money over health/life, but this isn't the right forum for that so I'll refrain.

24. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Gerber said MLS will lose $1B this year.

25. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think it's about minimizing losses. The idea of 2020 being profitable for MLS probably went out the window in March.

Paranoid Coyote repped this.