MLS International TV Rights Bring In 2 Million

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Colonial717, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Colonial717

Colonial717 New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    http://publications.socceramerica.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.san&s=22573&Nid=32150&p=390942

Not sure most people can see the link or not as it is from the Soccer America website. It is just a short paragraph that basically says that deals with Cadena Tres, TeleVisa, ESPN International and ART, a North African and Middle Eastern distribution company will bring in 2 Million this year. Not sure if this includes Five in England or not. Also says that SUM is working on finalizing deals with broadcasters in Japan and South Korea in the next 45 days.

2. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a start.

3. cwt9

cwt9 New Member

Jul 27, 2005
    I always believed the MLS can get more in TV rights fees from overseas than here in the US.

By signing a few big name Euro players, they can sell TV rights all over Europe. Also, with Beckham's Asian popularity, TV rights in Asia can bring in millions every year.

4. Soccerdude redded

Oct 14, 1999
    NY
    What a great news. Now this forces ESPN brass to give MLS more money after 2014 deal expires. By then the league is a lot more stable and could bring in other networks to the fold for the TV rights.

5. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really sure how international rights will push up the cost of the domestic rights. I could see how it would increase the overall media bucket. I'm guessing that it will be two completely different packages that they are selling.

But overall this is a great step for MLS. It moves them closer to an overall profit. Also, it helps to encourage additional investment in the league. Not only owners, but also sponsors/advertisers.

6. Dummeldinger

Dummeldinger New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Tampa, Fl
    anything to get our league money is good

the international signings are great for advertising too

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    So Becks keep earning more cash for the Yanks.

8. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yea. i figure it ain't just dumb luck that the deal with Japan and South Korea is coming in in the next 45 days, just as Beckham is going to get started.

9. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Latin America + Africa and Middle East = $2 mil a year
    Europe + Asia + Australia = ?
    North America = $15-20 mil a year

10. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    every little bit helps

11. Colonial717

Colonial717 New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    Now that I think about it, ESPN might have bought the world-wide rights to the games it produces (it is the worldwide leader in sports). Five in England might be purchasing those games from ESPN and not MLS. That could be why they don't show up in the article.

12. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is an improvement on the usual 60-90....oh never mind.

13. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I'm seeing here is spare change combining with spare change to make spare change. Which games will these stations cover? (do I even need to ask?)

The 8-year TV rights deals that seemed great last year no longer does this year.

14. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Yeah - I'm with ya on that - ESPN is the winner here, not MLS - MLS is finally making money on its TV deal, but either should have waited longer for the Becks signing, or smarter yet gone with a much shorter deal of 3-4 years instead of 8

15. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

From all I've read, the current rights deal was struck with the understanding that MLS would more aggressively go after big name players (i.e. Beckham). So the signing is already factored into whatever money MLS is getting from ESPN.

I am getting the feeling some of you have no idea what you're talking about. But whatever.

16. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With that said, the deal isn't bad at all. Besides, without the deal, we'd still be suffering from games at 4 p.m. on Saturdays, time buying, and a month-long break when College Football season rolls in (right when things started to climax :mad: ).

17. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    didn't garber say he'd been in talks with cctv (chinese tv's equivalent of bbc)? espn's not standard cable here, but we do get it, and if they have worldwide rights there wouldnt be much for cctv to talk about.