MLS international expansion

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Goforthekill, Dec 17, 2011.

1. sandog

sandog Member

May 30, 2008
    I think you're delusional. This will never happen. MLS doesn't even have teams in the southeast, San Diego, Arizona, San Antonio, Detroit, St Louis, and on and on... But you think they should expand to Costa Rica and Venezuela?

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  2. Zxcv

Zxcv Member+

Feb 22, 2012
    Agreed. Both Costa Rica and Venezuela already have their own leagues. International competition is the reason they have the CCL.

3. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you foreigners have your own leagues to follow before you come over here and fix problems that we don't actually have?

4. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to keep this bet from being lost in the bigsoccer abyss, I thought I would update this thread.:D

To quote myself:
    "So my prediction is if the MEX league plateaus at 25K* then MLS will be equal in attendance to the MEX league somewhere around 2030. 25 years from now MLS will be the dominate league in North America"

These are the estimated numbers I came up with earlier in this thread, this was from Jan 2012:
    2021 = 22K
    2031 = 27.3K
    2041 = 33.8K

MLS is having a great 2012 and may reach the 19K mark by the end of the year. If the MLS hits 19K and continues to grow at 24% every 10 years then it would look like this:
    2012 = 19K
    2022 = 23.5K
    2032 = 29.14K

The league is ahead of schedule to reach the 22K mark by 2021. Maybe I was off by 5 to 10 years in my prediction of MLS being the dominate league in North America by 2036. Just maybe it might be on par with the Mexican league by 2026, and be the dominate league shortly after that.

To 'It's called FOOTBALL',
    We never really defined what dominate league means in our bet. There are a few ways to measure this. Are we measuring this by league average attendance, average club revenues/values or maybe CCL results?

5. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    CCL results. Dominant means on-field play.

A 25 year prediction is kinda weak, tho, since no one will be here to collect. I'm pretty sure Huss will move on from this little hobby of his by then. And the football world could look completely different by then. If a Euro Superleague ever happens, Champions Leagues will probably die, along with lesser leagues.

6. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if MLS wins one year or the majority of MLS teams place above the majority of the Primera?

7. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Antigua Barracudas? Puerto Rico Islanders? I know it's not MLS, but US leagues already are in a couple of other countries. Mexico probably won't happen because the FMF wouldn't go for it. Let's also not forget travel costs...

8. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Do you really wanna do a 25 year bet? lol. Ok, at the 25 year mark, the dominant league will have to have won the 2037 CCL, plus at least 3 of the previous 4. Anything less than that is not dominant. Just promise to PM me if you leave this board and I'll do vice-versa, so we can still have contact info to collect on the bet. (lol)

There are many wrong long-term predictions in the archives of this message board, but the predictors never had to eat crow, because those threads are long forgotten. If those predicting fools had integrity, they'd conjur up their posts and eat up. But part of the reason they made their goofy predictions is because they knew they wouldn't get called on them.

But anyway, I doubt the CCL will exist in 2037. I do forsee a Euroleague by then, which would cripple rotw football. But who knows. If CCL exists in 2037, then the bet is on.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with extrapolating like this is that many MLS teams average very near their stadium capacity. MLS attendance is gonna hit that ceiling. Now, you'll see ticket REVENUE rise as teams take advantage of scarcity and jack up prices. But attendance won't go up in Portland or KC or Philadelphia, not enough to notice anyway.

mike4066 repped this.
  10. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are no markets in the Caribbean that have the population and/or the economy to support an MLS team today. As the league grows, markets like Puerto Rico and Antigua will become more and more marginal. MLS will stop growing long, long before it needs to look at markets outside the US and Canada. The other American/Canadian leagues haven't put teams outside of those two countries, and I doubt MLS will be any different.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Not gonna happen.

The more this league grows, the more markets we'll have in the US & Canada that will want to be a part of it.

Of the top 20 US metropolitan areas (by population) we don't have MLS teams in 9 of them. [Two have already been tried in Tampa & Miami)

A & B? The whole nation has a smaller population size (~80k) than Temecula, California or Arvada, Colorado.

12. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. We discussed this very thing earlier in this thread....
    Here is what I said earlier this year.

13. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I will consider a 12 year bet. But, instead of the winner deciding the bet (because this could mean a dominant team, not a dominant league). What would you say to more MLS teams placing higher in the semifinal round than Primera Teams by or before 2024? (plus at least 2 of the previous 3 years. If 2 of these previous years the Primera and MLS are tied then nobody wins)

Also, if one of us leaves this board doesn't it make this bet meaningless, because I thought we where betting our username?

14. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Well, one or both of us may leave due to circumstances beyond our control. There are very few posters from 2000 who still post here today. Chances are we'll both be gone.

Ok, how bout this: The dominant league has to win the 2024 CCL, and 2 of previous 3 before that, PLUS have more semifinal teams during the 3 year period of 2022-2024 CCLs. Anything less is not dominant.

We'll just bet bragging rights. I don't bet other things anymore, I've dealt with too many welchers :cautious:

15. Andres G

Andres G New Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Superdave, I understand where you are coming from, but in the future I do see KC attendance rising. Not only does SKC sell more tickets than capacity, the other KC sports teams are struggling. SKC is crazy popular now compared to years ago, especially with the young crowd. The members stand is particularly difficult to get in, and Livestrong Park was designed to expand in the future.

16. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Please nobody mention Edmonton and Calgary as potential MLS expansion sites. EVER. These two cities have failed at pro soccer more than any other pair of local rivals on the continent. NASL original, USL pro, CSL, indoor soccer....you name it, they've failed.

The cities have a strange love/hate relationship and as soon as city gets a team the other one will move heaven and earth to replicate. Edmonton is a great sports city and will turn out to watch but they both are a soccer graveyard.

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say from 2030 to 2037 Belize clubs will win at least 5 CCLs, who takes that bet. :p

How about what Concacaf country will be the first to win the FIFA WC?

18. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, with Garber trying to resurrect the Cosmos as NY2, you're going to have to accept that the name "Drillers" is going to come up many, many times. (Although I doubt anything will ever come of it...)

19. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Well it's now been 8 years and it didn't happen. Time to pay up, breh.
    lol I was right.

20. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for digging up this old thread.... I am not to far off on my MLS attendance prediction.

Back in 2012 average attendance was almost 19K. Here we are in 2020 and average attendance is just over 21K. I predicted back in 2012 MLS would be at 22K in 2021.
    MLS is on track to hit these numbers in 2021.

You aren’t right in regards to our bet.... it’s not 2024 yet... let’s chat in 4 years.:D

21. Joey Vimsante The Poet

Aberdeen FC
    Scotland
    Nov 4, 2023
    Scottish, Welsh, and Irish Sides Join Major League Soccer.
    I know know about the international expansion idea into Europe.
    How about Glasgow Celtic, Glasgow Rangers, Motherwell, Aberdeen, Heart of Midlothian, Hibernian, Dundee, Dundee United join the North American Major League Soccer?
    Football is growing in the USA and Canada, so Glasgow Celtic, Glasgow Rangers, Aberdeen, Motherwell, Hearts, Hibs, Dundee Utd, and Dundee could bring history and support to the MLS. The MLS could be the biggest league in the World, so the 8 biggest Scottish sides could benefit from playing in the North American soccer leagues. While also adding lore and passion to the Major League Soccer brand.
    Also perhaps clubs from Wales, like Wrexham, Newport County, Cardiff City, and Swansea City could join the Major League Soccer.
    Perhaps Northern Ireland, and the Republic of Ireland could enter clubs from Dublin, Cork, Dundalk, and Belfast in Major League Soccer?
    Maybe even Cornwall, Brittany and the Isle of Man could enter sides in a Celtic conference?
    Perhaps the Celtic nations could form a Celtic Nations League conference of the MLS? With extra games played against MLS sides from largely Eastern North America. The leading teams would then qualify for the MLS playoffs. This is an idea.
    Even Glasgow Celtic and Glasgow Rangers on their own could bring benefits to the MLS system. In terms of fan base, commercial support, fans and lore.
    It might be that one day all the major European leagues enter sides in the MLS system. Perhaps clubs like Real Madrid, Barcelona, AC Milan, Inter Milan, PSG, Sporting Lisbon, B Dortmund, Bayern Munich, Anderlecht, Copenhagen, IFK, Brondby, Ajax, Real Zaragoza, Roma, Porto, and Hamburg, could end up joining MLS?
    Another view I have.
    British – Irish – North American Competitive Soccer Club Trophy.
    How about cross border trophies between the leading Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish, Republic of Ireland, England, USA, Mexican, and Canadian soccer club sides, separately at male and female soccer?
    The soccer scene in the USA and Canada is growing. And there is a strong historical connection between Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Canada, the USA, and England.
    Scotland have some top sides in men’s and women’s football like Glasgow Celtic, Glasgow Rangers, Glasgow City, Aberdeen, Heart of Midlothian, Dundee United, and Hibernian.
    Ireland has a strong cultural connection to the USA and Canada.
    And Wales has some strong teams also. Maybe the Welsh sides in the English leagues could take part also.
    Plus England has one of the strongest leagues on Earth.
    There are many, many, cross border trophies that could happen at male and female football between the teams from the British and Irish Isles and North America.
    The Scottish would bring fans, passion and massive passionate support. While would be able to grow commercially in a big market.
    The Scottish leading sides like Celtic and Rangers would see the USA as a dream come true.
    The leading MLS and NWSL sides would benefit from playing big teams from the British and Irish Isles.
    There could be various trophies such as
    1) A Scottish – USA Women’s Cup. The winner of the Scottish Women’s Premier and NWSL play a match to claim the dual title of Scotland and the USA.
    2) A Scottish – MLS America Cup With the winners of the Scottish Premiership and MLS in a one off or two leg tie. This could be even bigger with 4 Scottish Premier sides playing all or 4 of the MLS sides in North America in a Scottish MLS Cup.
    3) An Anglo – American Cup. A men’s version could be the champions of the EPL v the champions of the MLS. Or at women’s level, the champions of the NWSL versus the champions of the English Super League. It could even have in the men’s game teams from the lower divisions.
    4) A British – Irish – North American Men’s Cup. Played between the champions of Scotland, Wales, the League of Ireland, Northern Ireland, England, Mexico, the MLS. Or it could be even more teams from Scotland (maybe all top tier sides), and the MLS. As Scotland and the MLS could afford that.
    5) A British – Irish – North America Women’s Cup. Played between the champions of Scotland, Wales, the League of Ireland, Northern Ireland, England, Mexico, the NWSL. Or it could be even more teams from Scotland (maybe up to 4 top tier sides each) and the NWSL. As Scotland, Mexico, and the NWSL could afford that.
    6) A Scottish – USA – Canada – Mexico Cup – Played between the leading sides of Canada, Scotland, Mexico, and the USA.
    7) A Celtic – American Men’s Cup. Played between multiple Scottish and MLS sides (including the championship winners), plus the champions of Wales, Northern Ireland, and the League of Ireland. This could be played in the USA or Canada. As the Celtic nations have strong links to the USA and Canada.
    8) A Celtic – American Women’s Cup. Played between multiple Scottish Premier and NWSL sides (including the champions),plus the champions of Wales, Northern Ireland, and the League of Ireland. This could be played in the USA or Canada. As the Celtic nations have strong links to the USA and Canada.
    9) The Irish - Scottish - USA Male Cup. Played between the leading top tier sides of Scotland, the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland and all MLS sides.
    10) The Irish - Scottish - USA Women’s Cup. Played between the champions of Ireland, Scotland and the NWSL.