MLS in Sacramento?

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by chuwy2000, Jul 19, 2012.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHAT

“Source says that Sacramento’s ownership group never signed nor returned the long-form expansion agreement to MLS.”

2in10 and aetraxx7 repped this.
  2. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The intriguing aspect about Phoenix is they have local ownership, a Chinese Billionaire and Drogba. They also are ready to put a shove in the ground for a new stadium near Scottsdale.

3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sacramento mayor’s statement:

https://www.indomitablecitysoccer.c...ted-ron-burkle-abandoning-sacramento-mls-team

Sacramento’s rightful quest for Major League soccer is far from done. It took multiple stops and starts to keep the Kings. We won then, and we will win again.

I am very disappointed in Ron Burkle’s decision to step out of his October 2019 public commitment to our city.
    >Despite the difficult past year for our city, we have upheld every commitment to Mr. Burkle, the league, and our community. We took major steps to welcome Major League Soccer to a new stadium in The Railyards, and we remain prepared to move forward immediately.

I greatly appreciate the support of Commissioner Don Garber and MLS. They have done right by us, and they continue to stand behind us.

We will still bring MLS to Sacramento, and we will work with the league to find a new lead investor.

We are not starting from scratch by any means. We have an approved stadium plan and an approved plan to build and pay for infrastructure. We also have the best fan base in the country – one that has shown time and time again that it can support an MLS team.

We have only begun to fight for what our city deserves.

TrueCrew repped this.
  4. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup , they gotta make an alpha move now though and make themselves known. They’ve seemed to be wishy washy about making their intentions and moves public which needs to change

aetraxx7 repped this.
  5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

6. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sac fans getting served some humble pies! Ya'll been talking so much trash about our Quakes, how you would outspend us, how you would build a better stadium than ours, how your fan support are more legit, how you got more "farms to table" restaurants bla bla bla.

Now you got nothing. NOTHING.

NorCal is Quakes territory. Sac is Quakes territory. Always remember, Sac is nothing more than a place for Bay Area rejects to move to when they can no longer afford SJ/SF. That's all you are, and that's all you'll ever be.

So go eat your fcuckin humble pies. I'll wait for you to join us at the big boys table in 5 years. Until then, see ya in the new few Open Cups, where it'll always end for you. We whooped your asses twice already and will whoop your asses again, and again, and again.

7. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    feel better now?

jaykoz3, 2in10 and aetraxx7 repped this.
  8. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When LA/SF look down on SJ, the only other city to kick around is Sacramento. Earthquakes potential in NorCal is huge, but ownership won’t spend the money to seize it. It’s gotta be frustrating for Quakes fans.

jaykoz3, SiberianThunderT and aetraxx7 repped this.
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #34 falvo, Feb 27, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Pre Covid, MLS was skyrocketing with attendances and expansion.

Now we are in a completely different world.

I just hope that post and during Covid , this isn’t a sign of more things to come...

2in10, aetraxx7 and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    This is probably the biggest COVID-related hit since it's affect MLS, but COVID has certainly not been nice to USLC in general: this hit to Sac's ambitions, NC dropping a league, and STL & Reno folding entirely. It's a rough go. I'm sure that general expansion efforts everywhere are going to be put on hold until attendances recover after COVID runs its course.

2in10, SteveUSSF_ref8 and aetraxx7 repped this.
  11. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose has never kicked Sacramento around. It was Sacramento fans who were beating their chests, talking trash about San Jose, and talking about owning all of NorCal first.

Quakes fans have generally embraced your team at the start. Together, we would have made for great rivals and partners, we were supposed to lift each other up together. I myself saw your team as the fire that could light up our ownerships' butts and motivate them to spend more.

But then you Sac fans start talking so much trash, with so much pent-up hatred towards San Jose and the Bay Area. All we wanted to do was give you a hug, but all you wanted to do was punch us in the face. Why?

So yes, it's nice to see Karma biting Sac in the ass. Next time, be humbler. Be nicer. You can build your own club up without needing to denigrate the neighboring club and its fans.

I certainly feel like karma has been served, considering the kind of asshole attitude I often see from Sacramento fans towards Quakes fans. If you talk shit, you gotta be able to handle them when they come back your way :)

12. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USLC STL planned to fold prior to Covid when the MLS STL franchise was announced. I believe it was announced shortly after MLS granted the MLS STL franchise. This fact does not lessen your point in anyway though. Covid has been a disaster in just about every way for almost everyone.

I have gotten to know a few of the SAC fans here on BS and at games Reno had with Sac and I truly feel disappointed for them as they are dyed in the wool soccer fans who have been behind their team and this expansion from day one. They deserve better than this soap opera that is Sacramento pro sports.
    As far as the trolls go..... yeah I got nuthin'.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeah but the intent was to last until the MLS team actually started. COVID killed the USLC squad early.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  14. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We saw this from many of their fans when Reno got and while we had our USLC team. We gave back as good as we got and there are a lot of Reno fans who feel as you do. I admit to be one. I do feel for the few good ones who did participate in the assholery though.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  15. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No they immediately stated they were shutting down at the end of the season the MLS STL was announced. I thought it was kind of a dickish move on their part since the city would be without a team for a year, at least if would have been at the time. STL USL and MLS STL were different ownership groups.

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    From the official announcement:
    "Unfortunately, the financial impact of COVID-19 during 2020 and beyond make it too difficult to continue operations."
    https://www.saintlouisfc.com/news_article/show/1119297
    And from Sports Illustrated:
    "The ownership decided that with the financial impact of COVID-19 and MLS on the horizon, it didn’t make sense to continue operations."
    https://www.si.com/soccer/2020/08/25/saint-louis-fc-fold-usl-mls-expansion-st-louis-city
    Remember, MLS awarded STL a franchise in August 2019. While STLFC was going to end, it wasn't immediate - STLFC continued operations to the end of 2019 and through 2020. COVID is what caused it to end when it did. The only STL City thing that somewhat closely coincided with STLFC folding was the news that STL City would be delayed a year - also a consequence of COVID.

aetraxx7 and 2in10 repped this.
  17. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope

18. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck, Sacramento fans! I hope y’all figure this out. I was looking forward to seeing Sacramento Republic in the league.

19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    40? Jesus, people are already complaining about 30 and 32. At some point it's too much. The decreasing likelihood a team would ever win anything begins to eat into any kind of enjoyment of the league.

21. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. 30 is prefect and expansion would be okay to match the other North American sports leagues, but never 40. Now that the stadium in San Diego is under construction let's hope Landon Donovan and the Loyal can bring San Diego our own MLS club.

owian and athletics68 repped this.
  22. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #47 TrueCrew, Mar 13, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    This makes no sense to me.

All of the major sports leagues in the US have 30-32 teams. And fans of MLS teams have more shots at trophies than the other leagues, which only have 1. We have MLS, USOC, SS, CCL, etc.

Though I do not mind a pause. It has been an orgy of expansion.

Phase I. MLS goes from 10 to 19 teams from 2005 to 2012. Added 2 in 2005. None in 2006. One in 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010. Two in 2011. One in 2012. Six straight years adding teams.

Then 2 years with no additions.

Phase II. 19 to 30 (29?) from 2015 to 2023. Two in 2015 (netting one while losing Chivas). None in 2016. Then 7 straight years adding at least one team. Two in 2017. One in '18. One in '19. Two in '20. One in '21. One in '22. And now one (two?) in '23. Seven straight years adding at least 1 team.

Then a break.

Then it will be WC time. We are hosting. Soccer will be hot. I mean, I am sure the Don will be reluctant and everything, but for the right price....say $400 million?

23. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think MLS will extend beyond 32 teams.

Likely will follow the NFL model, 2 East-West conferences, eight divisions of four teams each, or just 2 East-West conferences - 16 teams each.

If they wish to expand beyond 32, maybe there's a case for MLS2.

24. (They call him) RMc

Jun 1, 2013
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    When LA/SF look down on SJ, the only other city to kick around is Sacramento.

Who does Sacramento kick around? Stockton? Vacaville? Yuba City...?!

aetraxx7 and 2in10 repped this.
  25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone kicks around yuba city and rightfully so LOL