MLS in Louisiana???

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Fire Lovin' Hoosier, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Fire Lovin' Hoosier

Fire Lovin' Hoosier New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Indy
    Came across this article on the MLS site newstand.
    http://www.2theadvocate.com/opinion/4493801.html

"In closing, I feel as though the city(Baton Rouge) should at least examine the potential of a soccer facility before committing to a minor league baseball stadium."
    Not exactly on the burner but at least its being mentioned. Would definetely be a good location for expansion...draw more attention to south east and possibly help bring along other cities such as Atlanta or Miama

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its a letter to the editor.

Basically a classy BigSoccer post.

Nice thought though.

3. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    MLS in New Orleans:

Crescent City FC

4. jlo

jlo New Member

May 18, 2000
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I recently moved to Baton Rouge, and I lived here once before for a few years in the mid-90s. I would love to have a team here, but I don't see it happening. There's a decent youth soccer organization here, but I have encountered almost no interest in professional soccer. I don't believe that the market is big enough, either.

5. jlo

jlo New Member

May 18, 2000
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Good name for a team, but that's not going to happen either. New Orleans is crippled right now, and they will probably spend the next several years trying to re-build the economic infrastructure of the city and lure some workers back.

6. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Des Moines is about the same size as Baton Rouge, and has done very well with a PDL team. It's a great resource for the local soccer community, and provides an opportunity for local high school and college players.

7. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow i am surprised any other sport that football exists in Lousiana. I have been there once and all they seem to car about is NFL and Nascar. Not my cup of tea at all.

8. CK

CK Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Southeast
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wish, but the problem is I only know of 1 other person in Baton Rouge who actually follows MLS, and only a handful of people who actually admit soccer is a real sport.

Plus getting people to attend soccer games on a fall Saturday would be impossible with LSU drawing 94,000 to Tiger Stadium.

Bottom line: Batron Rouge is too much of a football city, IMO.

Edit: And I honestly don't know 1 single NASCAR fan, and I've lived in Louisiana my entire life....F1 is a different story though.

9. LiveattheOasis

LiveattheOasis New Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Austin
    I'll say this about New Orleans. They have predicted the city (like many others granted) will gain much Latino population with the amount of jobs rebuilding the city will create. There may be a market there sooner than people think. Right now there is no way, but 5 or 10 years down the road it could be a great thing to help bring excitement to the city.

10. SoccaBoy

SoccaBoy New Member

May 9, 2002
    New Orleans
    I really doubt that this could ever be possible.
    I live in New Orleans and the truth is that before Hurricane Katrina New Orleans was the only city in the state that could support a major league sports franchise.

If you guys hadn't been paying attention before Katrina I want to let you know that Tom Benson, the Saints owner, was threatening to leave and move the team. Although how serious he was depends on who you talk to.
    As you guys can see now, we did sell out the Superdome for the whole season and I think there is a good chance that we will keep the Saints here. But we also have the Hornets in New Orleans and they are only playing 6 (yes only SIX) games here in the city. The rest of their home games are being played in Oklahoma City because we just simply can't support 2 major league sports teams here. Personally, I think that the Hornets will end up moving permanently within the next few years, probably to Seattle (as it seems probable the Sonics may be moving to Oklahoma City).

Now, if we can't completely support 2 major league teams I highly doubt that we can support an MLS team. As much as I would like that it just ain't happenin.

11. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before the Hornets, I think New Orleans could have done well with an MLS team. Over 100,000 Hondurans in the area, plus probably another 50,000 from other Central American countries.

Now after Katrina, no way. No how.

Baton Rouge, well I heard they might get a PDL team. I would guess they would play at Olympia Stadium - good place for a PDL team. The old Gamblers played a few games there back in 95-96 I think.

I still wonder what would have happened had the Gamblers not gone A-League. Would the Gulf Coast teams in Jackson, Mobile, Birmingham, Lafayette, Arkansas been able to survive and grow together?

Sorry to drift, memories..

Back to Baton Rouge - heck, if they had an owner, and they built a stadium they'd jump to the head of the list.

12. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

13. seniorsoccer

seniorsoccer New Member

Sep 10, 2006
    Both the Saints (L.A.) and the Hornets (Oklahoma) would leave New Orleans if it were politically possible. I don't think either will ultimately be allowed to leave by their respective leagues.

Also the Sonics are staying in Washington, but if they leave to OK, Paul Allen will move his 'Blazers up to Seattle.

14. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Saints are great this year but LSU football colors the state.

15. ONE

ONE Member

Aug 11, 2000
    NOLA
    In Baton Rouge, if its not LSU or Saints related they dont really give a flying hoo-hah. In New Orleans, even pre-Katrina we were lucky to get a couple hundred at a Shell Shockers game. I love MLS and I love this area, but MLS is at least 20 years down the road, if ever.

16. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Grew up in New Orleans, and loved going to old Gambers matches. That being said, MLS won't be heading to New Orleans, or anywhere in Louisiana for that matter. I could certainly see a PDL team in Baton Rouge though (maybe Lafayette as well?), but much depends on who's funding the venture.

I recall some amateur matches between Latin American clubs at Pan American stadium that drew in the thousands though...

The Magpie

17. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Gamblers.. good times.

I think our record crowd was 4,300 at Pan Am.

6,700 at Zephyr Field.

PDL works best when you have teams all over the region, and when the Gamblers moved to A-league, it killed the rest of the teams.

No more Memphis Jackyls, Birmingham Grasshoppers, Mobile Revelers, Jackson Chargers... talk of a team in Baton Rouge at Olympia died with it.

--
    The ISLANO league would hit about 1,500 on a good night, but great atmosphere.

The Honduran teams at Tad Gormley drew flies, very sad.