MLS in Indianapolis

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by BringSoccerToIndy, Aug 4, 2008.

1. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    1001 West New York Street, Indianapolis, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen a thread for this, which is slightly surprising since Indianapolis is a fairly big city (bigger than some of the others I've seen proposed). Indianapolis has the tendency to fly under the radar in, well, everything. We are definitely a growing city, especially in sports. Currently, there is no mens soccer team in the city, which is frustrating for soccer fans around here. However, I have a feeling that there is going to be some interest, maybe for the 19th or 20th spot.

~An interesting fact about the new Lucas Oil Stadium. The field can be expanded to fit a FIFA-regulation soccer pitch. Whether that is for some friendlies or a future World Cup being held here, it is still interesting that a soccer-less town would make a football stadium that has movable seats to accomidate soccer.

~The Bush Stadium talks would be the best place for a SSS. Bush Stadium is the former home of the Indianapolis Indians, but it has since been abandoned. The local womens team, FC Indiana, has been trying to get it renovated so they can enter the new WPS. Bush Stadium is an 80 degree angle half stadium that looks like it was made for soccer. Here's some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you get an aerial from Google Maps (it's called 61st Street Speedway and it is just south of Kuntz Stadium and west of downtown, you can see the stadium in it's rundown glory. FC Indiana has said the rebuilding would cost in the low seven digit range. For a city that has just built a 1 billion dollar airport terminal and a 750 million dollar football stadium, I think that the city could spare some change, maybe that they make from the 2012 Super Bowl, to help redo Bush. As you can see, the stadium has regular seats in the current 12,000 seat stadium. If this were to happen, my guess is the Indiana team would play a year or two in the USL-1 while another set of seats were being built to finish off the rectangle or else the team would play a year or two in the Luke. This stadium lasted for 60 years, and it is still in pretty good shape considering how old it is. Bush Stadium is a city landmark, so there have been a bunch of plans to rebuild it into something. This right now seems like the best option, since it would likely double as an outdoor concert venue and a high school football stadium.

~The only competition this team would receive would be the Indianapolis Indians, a triple-A minor league baseball team. The Indians have a beautiful stadium and great PR, but there is enough room for there to be another team. This is not a baseball town, and I know many people who would rather go to a MLS game than a minor league baseball game. It would not be a real competition, since neither team would lose attendance.

~This city embraces its sports team. The Colts have a season ticket waiting list that is in the ten thousands. The Indiana Ice, an amatuer hockey team, has set league records for attendance many times. The Indians have good attendance (7,385 as of July 20th). The Pacers are a different story because of their off-the-court troubles, which have led to the abandoning of the team. A pro soccer team here would have top attendance just because of the sports lovers here.

~Right now, no one has talked about owning an MLS team, but there are definitely the wealthy people here that could buy a team. Jim Irsay, the Colts owner, Herb and Mel Simon, owners of Simon Malls and the Indiana Pacers, Eli Lily, Finish Line, HH Gregg, Lucas Oil, Conseco, CP Morgan, Brightpoint, Wellpoint, Republic Airways, and Scott Jones, inventor of automated voice mail and Chacha search engine all are definitely rich enough to own a team. Irsay would be the most likely to own the team since the Lucas Oil Stadium connection would be similar to the Kraft one that the Revs have. The Simons also may look to invest in another seemingly risky franchise, since the Pacers were struggling when they bought them.

So, that is why I think Indianapolis can hold another major pro sports team here.

2. zidja

zidja Member

Jul 26, 2006
    [​IMG]
    You know, I'm seeing a potential situation where a Colorado derby would be hilarious. (well, if you have the mind of a 14 year old)

3. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    1001 West New York Street, Indianapolis, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a great name. Their grandson plays football for Notre Dame. The problem is it is pronounced like Koontz. Bummer.

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having a wee bit of experience with this market and professional soccer, I'll chime in here.

First off, unless someone with a lot (A LOT) of money steps up, the question is completely and utterly moot. If MLS does raise the franchise fee for expansion to $50 million, you'll need even more then (post-2011, because they're not in the queue for 2011 and if they want to get in the queue, the clock is ticking).

As for your other points:

I'd do that, too. Because soccer IS on the upswing in this country. While MLS is, too, I'm talking more about the friendly/international exhibition thing. If Indianapolis wants to even be considered for the World Cup (if it should come here in 2010 on short notice or in a later year), that was good planning. Since there will only be a finite number of venues for a World Cup whenever it comes here, Indy would have lots of cities in front of it, but they could make a pitch for a friendly or a European side to come over in preseason training.

The site might be good. There's lots of parking. Everybody knows where it is. It's not the best neighborhood, and the access to it is only (basically) off 16th Street (unless you come in the back way).

The problem is Bush itself. Almost ten years ago now, the city presented that as an option to us (the Indiana Blast, then of the A-League). We toured the place and it was a freaking disaster then. I can only imagine it now. Renovate? No freaking way on God's green earth. You'd have to tear it down and start all over.

Actually, it looks like it was made for baseball. Which it was, in 1931 or something.

Completely and utterly wrong.

If they just spent a billion on the airport and 750 million on Lucas Oil AFTER building Conseco Fieldhouse AND Victory Field all in the last dozen years, there's no spare change left. Indianapolis is DONE building stadiums, as near as I can tell. The CIB is very, very unlikely to allocate more funds for something like this, as much as you and I might like soccer.

Tell you another story: Probably around 2000, I think it was. We met with the Deputy Mayor (is that the right title) of Indianapolis about getting a lil' help with Kuntz Stadium. The city's official position was that they'd do stuff for entities that had an economic impact on the city or added something, and that our particular soccer team didn't do that (drawing about 2k a night). Maybe they'd think more of an MLS team, but I wouldn't expect them to pony up much, if anything, to help you.

I have a hard time believing this, as it was a complete and utter dump in 1994 and worse in 2000, which I think was the last time I toured it. I can't see any way it's "still in pretty good shape." I just can't.

16th Street Speedway. Failed miserably.

Interesting. You have an outdoor concert venue at what used to be Deer Creek, right?

Noooo, not at all. :rolleyes:

Yet they wouldn't go to an A-League game. Huh. Odd.

I'd say you're naive about how this all works. Of course there would be competition, if not for ticket sales (there would be) but on the corporate base. Indianapolis is a fairly good-sized city, but every team there has a challenge tapping into sponsorships and corporate ticket sales and suites (unless you win a Super Bowl). An MLS team would struggle mightily, not just because of the presence of the Indians, but just by sheer virtue of the size of the market.

Because they won. Believe me, I was there when they sucked. This city embraces its sports teams when they win. And some they don't embrace at all (see Fever, Indiana). How have the Pacers been drawing since they've sucked? And Indiana's a basketball state, right?

Completely naive and wrong.

And there you go. That's really where we should stop reading, but we press on.

Usual suspects. Never expressed interest. Have had years to do so. Have their core competencies and haven't seemed to stray too far from that.

I thought you wanted this team to be successful. :)

Yeah, thirtysomething years ago. The numbers have gone off the charts since then. What on Earth makes you think they "also may look to invest in another seemingly risky franchise?"

Good luck. You should talk to that other college kid who's convinced of the same thing.

I don't see it happening.

If you're going to play at LOS, it makes no sense unless Irsay is involved. Why he'd want to be involved is beyond me - his interests seem to be football and rock 'n roll. He's not a soccer guy. Being a tenant in that building wouldn't help you any more than playing at University of Phoenix Stadium in Phoenix unless the Cardinals own you. And the Cardinals ain't owning an MLS team.

So then your options are renovate Bush, build on the Bush site, or build somewhere else. Option 1 is a non-starter. You can't tell me you could fix that place up and leave anything standing other than maybe one wall with ivy just for effect. You can build on the site, but starting from scratch is expensive, too, and there's Hamilton County to consider if you're going to build somewhere else. That's where the money is.

So unless someone steps up with a lot of money (that's A LOT of money) to get into the league ($50M), build a new stadium (at least another $90M, just pulling a number out of the air based on what Toyota Park cost) and then run the thing, you can forget about it.

It ain't happening.

5. Blackbox

Blackbox Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Indiana/Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the team would be named Racing Indianapolis. Sorry, had to say it. ;)

Yeah, gotta agree with that. The Colts being as blessed as they've been with great fan support is only a byproduct of their season-after-season of winning. Before Manning and their consistent Super Bowl contention, they had so-so attendance. Indianapolis fans are fickle and the city is no pro sports capital. MLS success in Indy isn't as simple as stated in the first post.

That said, I'd love it if a club here could work! Unfortunately, there is so much going against an Indiana bid, its depressing. So our sorrows are best better drowned in dreaming of team names.

6. Blackbox

Blackbox Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Indiana/Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? I had no idea. Where have they said that? That'd potentially be very interesting to see if it could be done. With enough success, maybe a revived men's side could be USL-1.

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read where FC Indiana has talked about it. They're very ambitious, that outfit. Good for them.

But a USL-1 side? I wish the next guy good luck with that.

8. moeller61

moeller61 New Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    As much as I would want to see it, I don't think Indy can support MLS at this time. Maybe in fifteen or twenty years, if we keep growing, and the MLS goes to 30 teams or so. I do think we could support a lower level team, if it was marketed right. It might need to be PDL or USL-2 to start however.

9. FireFanInPackerLand

Dec 8, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless of how nice the stadium is, I would be very surprised to see LOS hosting World Cup matches.

Qualifiers yes. But if the US ever got the World Cup Finals again, my guess is Indy would be on the long list. Far behind similar new or renovated stadiums in Chicago, Seattle, New England, New York, Washington, Philly, Dallas, Houston, and potentially LA. That's 9 stadiums right there. Likewise, these are all cities that have a larger soccer fanbase. But LOS would be a good WCQ location.

On the club level, Indy is more likely as a USL contender.

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. There's a long, long, long list of high-quality venues that can generate a lot of revenue in a World Cup scenario and a short list of actual fixtures. You never know, someone could get really aggressive and go for it, but Indy lost their shirt (IIRC) on the World Basketball Championships a few years ago.

That wouldn't keep them from going after a summer friendly. Someone would just have to go after it.

As for club, yeah, but even the standards in USL have risen since the Blast died. I loved Kuntz's field quality, but infrastructurally, it needs work and expansion if you're going to be serious about it.

It all comes down to money. Until and unless someone steps up with the money, it's not happening. Not USL, not MLS, not WPS.

11. eintracht.19

eintracht.19 New Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Toms River, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'd say be content with watever lower league team you have, start an SG because indy could not be a worse idea. well..... rochesters pretty bad

you got the invaders and fort wayne fever in PDL. they could use some fans u know

12. BlackGold

BlackGold New Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Fort Wayne is two-hours away. I say get a nice stadium going at the fair grounds. That would be a nice spot. I remember the indoor team Twisters i think? They played at the old Market Square Arena( God Bless MSA) Anyone Know if the blast are still around?

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blast died years ago. A year in the PDL and then that was that. 2004, I think.

14. eintracht.19

eintracht.19 New Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Toms River, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what is that far for you guys? it takes like 2 1/2 hours to get to mets games from my house. giants stadium is like 1 1/2.

15. BlackGold

BlackGold New Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I know where Toms river is i used to live in the Montogmery/Hillsboro area. I bet it would take a lot less than 1 1/2 if Giants stadium wasn't so hard to get to. I mean if Fort Wayne is two hours i should just go to fire games instead.

16. Blackbox

Blackbox Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Indiana/Tennessee
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, comparing the Mets to PDL teams is a bit of a stretch. Rapid soccer fans from Indy should travel to support the Fire or Crew. PDL is meant to serve a very small geographic location and those two Indiana teams are serving their purpose. South Bend and Ft. Wayne shouldn't be seen as ideal spots for Indy residence and the rest of the state. Indianapolis is really the only option for big time soccer in the state. Elsewhere, Evansville could definitely be another ideal PDL spot.

And now for some really bad name ideas...

Racing Indiana or Racing Indianapolis
    Indianapolis Cardinal or Cardinals, state bird
    FC Indiana, if the women's side ever wanted to resurrect a men's team
    Circle City FC, city nickname
    Indiana Soldiers & Sailors, famous monument
    Indianapolis Pistons, eh okay I'm getting unoriginal...

17. eintracht.19

eintracht.19 New Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Toms River, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea i wasnt thinking that columbus or chicago could be just as close but no a complete joke to support.

it would also be quicker if we didnt get tolled for pulling out of our driveway

18. BlackGold

BlackGold New Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Indianapolis

I know Right!!! whoever said the NJ Parkway was faster was F**kin lyin.
    I mean Doesn't NJ have another way to pay New York

19. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the US gets the World Cup again, I think it's possible retractable roof stadiums are going to get extra consideration because the games will be during harsh summer day time weather to satisfy the European timezones. I don't know if any of you all remember how miserable the weather was for the fans and players alike in 1994. I practically melted into my seat at the game I went, it was brutal. For that reason and now that dome venues are being used more (Sapporo, Gelsenkirchen), I could see Phoenix, Houston, Dallas (new Cowboys retractable roof) and Indianapolis all getting to be venues.

I have a hunch that Indianapolis would do great as a World Cup venue. They are a city that prides themselves on athletics (basketball, beautiful facilities, NCAA hq, US Olympic hqs) and hosting big sporting events (final fours, the races, World Basket, a future Super Bowl). I would think they have the ability to handle a handful of games.

20. Dynamo442

Dynamo442 Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Houston, Tejas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You,ve got a lot of solid takes on many things in the world of soccer, but I think you're out of your element when it comes to architecture. I've seen far worse messes than Bush Stadium renovated sucessfully.

It might not be the cheapest option in the long run, but early 20th century buildings usually come with good bones which are often "as good as new" structurally speaking. It can be done, I've done it.

21. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    What, stealing the Colts wasn't enough? Had to steal the name of the Indoor team from Baltimore as well?

:rolleyes:

:D

22. Bisonr

Bisonr Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Napoli, Italia
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be all for it but, right now it just looks like a lost cause. I live on the Northside and am a Fire season ticket holder. It would be nice to have a local team to support.

23. Altidore_Adu_Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    Hammond In
    any news on a Indiana team it would be a great rivalry with the fire if Indiana had a team of their own

24. crew92

crew92 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Pripyat, Ukraine
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably wont happen unless someone with money steps forward to back it because right now there is no stadium or investor so right now 0 % chance.

Maybe you indy fans should start their own movement because it isnt going to happen by waiting for someone to step forward.