MLS in Hawaii . . .

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by churchill2000, Oct 18, 2004.

1. OverWhichHill?

Apr 26, 2001
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The Tsunami played in different locations: Aloha Stadium (UH football stadium, seats 50,000+, Fieldturf installed this year), a UH practice field and various high school football fields. Since the Tsunami folded, a beautiful Waipio soccer complex including a stadium has been built on a peninsula that juts into Pearl Harbor. The Waipio stadium hosts the UH women's soccer team (there is no men's team), and seats 4,500 I believe, has beautifully maintained grass and is a wide field. The organizers of the Galaxy-United game announced it will be held at Aloha Stadium. The only reason to choose that over the Waipio stadium would be an expectation of drawing a big crowd.

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd think it would have to be a really big crowd. What have neutral site MLS exhibition games routinely drawn?

3. Steve Holroyd

Steve Holroyd New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're asking an attendance question??? First the Red Sox beat the Yankees, and now this. I sense a great disturbance in the Force...

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't track anything about MLS pre-April, usually. :)

5. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the MLS should only have American teams. Let Hawaii and Canada start their own leagues!

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The DC/Metro "Unity Games" series after the 2001 series was chock full of "guest" players. Zarco scored the only goal in the game played in DC. Both teams had several players from other MLS teams. Heck, even Jurgen Klinsmann played for DC.

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unintentional is quite often the best kind of comedy.

8. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Gioca is a prime example of why The No Child Gets Left Behind is needed.

For those who obviously don't know, Hawaii is the 50th State of the US

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. The Lieutenant

Dec 29, 1999
    Lupburg, Bayern
    Just moved back after 4 years in Hawaii.

Preseason in Hawaii is a good idea. Waipio Soccer complex is a sweet facility. The only thing that pisses me off is that they are doing this one season too late!!!!

Aloha Stadium, where they are going to play the game is also known as the "rust bowl" It is a piece of crap. The new turf installed will still suck for soccer.

Never in a million years should they play the all-star game there. ********, they can't even sell out the Pro bowl in Hawaii, let alone the MLS All Star game.