MLS IN CCL: Final CCL Groupstage Matchday (R) Aug 20,21,22

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by tigersoccer2005, Oct 18, 2009.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I think we've all come to the realization that whoever CONCACAF has produce the matches is worse than anything FSC does.

2. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As for the record No one mentioned MLS in regard to this, but you did, I said concacaf.

Looks like I was wrong, they did change that rule. I am not sure when because for 2006/2007 they still used the superior goal difference from ALL group matches as the first tiebraker if equal on points.

3. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Yeah... i love the endless 'miss live action so they can show a pointless replay' move.

4. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Yeah, I tossed this question out into the BigSoccer wind a few weeks ago, but nobody bit:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1188994

5. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a clue

He used to have his own production company and has worked for Univision and some other outlets so I don't know how much is done in house and how much is contracted to local people.

6. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Ahh, excellent sleuthing, thanks.

So, theoretically at least, all these crappy replays and missed shots are being generated out of the same single production facility in New York.

7. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the record, it all those competitions, the teams play each other in a balanced schedule (home and away) where in MLS the teams can play each other 3 times, with one team getting 2 home games.

Hence, the inherent unfairness of such a system should be apparent to anyone.

8. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The same unfairness would be present using goal differential as well. You can't get around it.

9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Using goal differential as the tiebreaker would be almost fair for any group of teams because the schedules are close to balanced. Using head-to-head would be fair for any group of teams that all played each other twice and but siginificantly unfair if one team hosted two out of three games against the other or if there was a tie with three or more teams and the teams had an unequal number of games played against the teams they were tied with.

10. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who? ;)

11. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's also pretty much a fluke that the runner-up was so bad this year. In fact, from 1997-2008, the MLS Cup runner-up was, on average, a better team than the champion in the next season, based on league record.

Average point total, MLS Cup champion in the next season: 44.3
    Average point total, MLS Cup loser in the next season: 46.9

1 person likes this.
  12. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Perhaps you missed that both Concacaf and MLS were mentioned in this thread for having the tie breaker.

To the CCL I responded with the Uefa and Asian champions' leagues having the same rule. Then I scrolled further and saw the MLS comment and noted that Spain, Italy, Portugal, Poland, and Greece all have the same rule.

So no, I don't think I brought MLS into this.

13. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the truth is that it was a poor decision by FSC IMO.... IF Telefutura was already showing DC @ Toluca....why air it also live in FSC...Show the Crew game so that fans of either team can watch the game live... or others can switch back and forth accordingly.....

14. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't even think it's even a CR versus MLS thing. A lost of Ticos were pounding their chests about how Costa Rica teams were so superior and how they were the second best league and how they deserves more spots. Whether or not MLS deserves or has earned the spots they have gotten, the Costa Rican teams have certainly not done well -- as stated, CR teams are 0 for 3 in the prelim round and 0 for 2 in the group stage in the two years. They haven't looked good compared to Honduras -- or even the CFU teams or Panama.

You can make a case that the US deserves fewer spots (though I think they've acquitted themselves fine this season) but Costa Rica certainly doesn't deserve any more, at least based on their performance to date.

It still IMHO comes down to the point that Saprissa is generally a very good and competitive side and Alajuelense has been good mostly (but is now in a down cycle) but after that the gap is large and your typical CR team isn't likely to be any better than your typical team from Honduras or Guatamala or Panama, etc. So, there's no particular reason that CR should get more than 2 spots under the current format.

15. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off topic and depending, but honestly if you have 16 teams and they include 4 from Mexico...the other 12 teams.

I don't see why USSF wouldn't deserve 3 like they had this year (2 full slots + 2 .5 slots is 3) are there really 10 other deserving groups in concacaf?

It isn't that USSF deserves 3 or 4 its that there are very few teams in concacaf that deserve more than a token 1.

Seriously, what teams outside of Mexico and the US deserve a spot in the CCL? Marathon and...well whoever else advances this year I guess.

16. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    About 30 minutes in and Arabe Unido have dodged 3 bullets so far. Their goalkeeper smothered a shot on the line (announcer even called goal, much to his chagrin), headed another shot off the line when the keeper went walkabout, and just watched a Pachuca shot hit the post. Pachuca has (as expected) had a majority of the possession and chances.

17. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Houston has life as Pachuca score in the 44th minute. 1-0 Pachuca.

And yes. I realize I may be doing "play by play" for myself.

18. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    My feed froze up before the goal...

why were all those people out on the pitch? what happened?

19. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    no hablo espanol. I saw something minor happen and then both teams got together and started pushing. After a minute all the subs came out and tried separating the teams, then everyone proceeded to halftime for tea and biscuits. It looks like a repeat of the Houston/A.U. game.

20. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Yeah... nothing really happened to set that off. A guy went up for a header in the box, fell over a defender... and was apparently called for the foul. The defender talked some shit to him while he was on the ground, then they all started shoving each other. The ref just whistled for halftime at that point rather than hand out a zillion cards.

21. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  22. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all i guess those not watching on TV do not have Telefutura....

Yes, there has been animosity from the get-go , highlighted by the scramble a bit after the goal got scored (which can conceivably eliminate Arabe Unido) .. the commentators say the reason is that the PAchuca players were offended that the Panamanian club while blowing them off the field in their previous encounter, made fun of them in the process which made them feel insulted (i guess they did not think Pachuca would be pissed at them from those actions)...So Pachuca sort of are taking this game very seriously (to themselves anyway) and wish to return the favor: win and if possible blow them off the field as well with a "goleada".....

23. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
  24. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    Well, historically I'd say Olimpia, Motagua, Real Espana, Marathon, Municipal, Cocamuniciones, Saprissa, LDA, FAS, and Alianza FC are probably the strongest teams in their respective leagues, and in any given year most of them would be nice to have in the competition IMO.

25. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Pachuca doing their part, now houston has to do theirs. 2-0 Pachuca.