MLS in 2020

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by showtime12, Jan 29, 2010.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And MLS should never have more than 20. But I know that i am in the minority with this point. :(

2. amazingjakeo

amazingjakeo New Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why shouldn't we?

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said, I know I am in the minority so no big deal, I know it will happen so I just better get used to the idea.

my reasons, is that, I like it when all teams play each other 2 times Home and away, like this year (2010) I think that the max for the USA should be 18 teams 34 games + playoffs from March to November.

Once you go over 18 then home/away is not practical and MLS will need to play in groups. Actually 16 teams is perfect, I think Russia does that.

but I know that I am sounding un-American so I will stop. It is the way things are done over here.

Also It hurts D-2, but D-2 is already a joke here in North America. :(

4. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    i thought stan collins, who i feel extremely comfortable quoting as reliable, has stated that MLS has already achieved status as the fastest growing pro league in the US.

possibly if you only judge by the raw numbers, but i think we are in the same general sphere as the j-league right now.

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So by the actual numbers carnifex2005 would be correct (except for the number of teams) that MLS 2020 would be at the level of J-league 2007. But by opinion we already are like the J-league?

6. TheKid21

TheKid21 New Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Jump down my throat for saying it is a possibility that MLS will over take the NHL but no one says anything about how crazy the statement of MLS overtaking the NBA and MLB was?? I do not think MLS will beat out the NHL in 10 years but it is the only league within striking distance.

As for the number of teams, I completely agree that 20 teams should be the limit. How can rivalries exist in a 24 team league where teams don't meet every year? Everyone should have to have a home/away with every other team every year. 24 teams destroys that possibility.

7. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    MLS wont stop at 20. it might take a break at 20 but without pro/reg there is no point in stopping at 20. by 2020 i see it being a 24 team league, by 2030 a 28-32 team league.

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even 20 teams are too many, 38 regular season games + playoffs + US Cup + CCL = way to many games!

It is a reality that MLS will follow the other American sports and split into conferences and the balance schedule will be a nice dream.

I guess I should really enjoy the 2010 season because perhaps this will be unique, as the only MLS season with a balance schedule.

Dang I wish the FIRE could win the Supporters shield this year.

9. Sportsfan1

Sportsfan1 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not trying to jump down your throat..I was just pointing out how far apart it really is.

10. Sportsfan1

Sportsfan1 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

maybe right now..but the NFL in a few years added tens of millions of viewers to there games on tv....I am not sure MLS can be said to grow faster then that.

but there could be more factors.

11. mls2010

mls2010 Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Crystal Ball:
    (1) USSF annouces new finance and stadium requirements for Division 2. (2) Bob Bradley takes DC United job. (3) Jurgen Klinsmann takes US coaching job.(4) USA wins bid to host 2022 World Cup. Finds out in Dec 2010. (5) Division 2 finds only 6 teams that meet new requirements, allow 2 other teams to enter anyway. (6) MLS announces balanced schedule for 2011. (7) Portland bigger success in first year than Vancouver. Nkufo gets traded to Vancouver. Hahnemann in goal for Portland. Montero announced as new DP in Seattle. (8) MLS announces end of TV contract with FSC. (9) MLS announces TV contract with Versus, rights 55-60 million. (10) KC opens new stadium. (11) FC Dallas opens resident academy. (12) Montreal starts with David Trezeguet as DP, MLS has balanced 38 game schedule (13) Atlanta starts team in Division 2 (14) Dynamo stadium opens in Houston (15) Ronaldinho and Van Nistelrooy join league as DPs (16) Minnesota in Division 2 announces 18,000 SSS next to Metrodome (17) With ownership under control, St. Louis in Division 2 expands stadium to 18,000 (18) MLS announces loan arrangement with several Euro and South American leagues for young prospects. (19) David Beckham retires, joins NYC ownership, NYC2 takes field in 2014 (20) DC United moves to Baltimore but DC retains United name for future use (21) Cristian Ronaldo joins league as DP in 2015 at the age of 30 (22) After A's and 49ers get stadiums built in San Jose, Lew Wolff realizes SSS next to new Warriors arena in SF is perfect for Earthquakes (23) MLS expands to St. Louis and Atlanta in 2016 (24) LA Galaxy move into downtown stadium owned and operated by AEG next to Staples Center and Kodak Theatre. Chivas are all alone at Home Depot Center. (25) After success of Vancouver and Montreal keeping teams in Division 2, other MLS clubs add teams to Division 2 and it becomes de facto reserve league (26) Revolution get SSS in Sommerville (27)MLS expands to Miami and "DC" in 2018 (28) In 2019, MLS and SUM finally disclose financial numbers. MLS/SUM bring in $211 million in profit each year (29) MLS changes schedule format:
    2 Conferences of 12 Teams.
    2 Divisions of 6 Teams in each Conference.
    20 Game Against Division Opponents- (2 Home, 2 Away).
    12 Games Against Conference Opponents Not in Division- (1 Home, 1 Away).
    1 Home and 1 Away Series Against One Team from Each Of the Divisions in the Other Conference (Changes each year)
    Total Games= 36 Games

West- Anschutz Trophy
    Division A: Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, San Jose, Chivas, LA Galaxy
    Division B: Colorado, Real Salt Lake, Kansas City, Houston, Dallas, St. Louis*
    East- Hunt Trophy
    Division #1: Chicago, Columbus, Toronto, Montreal, New England, NYRB
    Division #2: Philadelphia, DC, NY2, Baltimore*, Atlanta*, Miami*

West Playoffs:
    Division A Champ v. Division B Champ (1 Home and 1 Away)
    East Playoffs:
    Division #1 Champ v. Division #2 Champ (1 Home and 1 Away)
    MLS Cup:
    West Playoff Winner v. East Playoff Winner

12. Zuzas

Zuzas New Member

Aug 15, 2010
    In 2020, americans will be in forums discussing soccer tactics, players or coaches instead of talking DOLLARS.

13. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    1001 West New York Street, Indianapolis, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll always be talking dollars even if MLS becomes the best league in the world. Money is a major part of sports.

14. amazingjakeo

amazingjakeo New Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea but you know what he meant. MLS fans talk about business and how to set up a league and such. More so then any other american sports fans IMO.

15. Zuzas

Zuzas New Member

Aug 15, 2010
    What i meant was that in 2020 americans will love the king of sports. It's destiny.

I always thought USA would never have its soccer standing on its feet, but after seeing that the americans loved the USA national team in the world cup, things might be diferent now. I believe you are too proud of yourselfs to let the rest of the world see USA as a minor soccer power.

Money is important of course, but MSL needs a working soccer structure to support its growth.
    Instead of buying almost retired star players from europe, you should try hiring the best managers/coaches for your senior and youth teams. That would give the best results in a 10 year range.
    Instead of having the rich clubs in MSL, consider the promotion / relegation rule, its a MUST. That means the best clubs with the best players would be on top. You need this system in all of your states, with several divisions in each one. Who wins the top divison will play a knockout tournament with the rest of the state champions.
    It seems amazing too me that some people can be so narrowminded about pro/rel. Is it something americans dont know or understand?? In the rest of the world is a MUST. Pro/rel means that even the smallest province club can make into national champion. With this system you will have national and local effort to grow stronger and better. In a medium/long time range will have effects on your soccer inside the four lines having more quality in senior and youth club squads.
    Also, instead of having a MLS managing the player transfers, consider having a free market, where each clubs make its own decisions, its own broadcast fees, its own sponsor fees, its own player transfers. Correct me if i'm wrong but i think this market i talk about is controlled by MLS.
    In 10/ 15 years USA would have a stronger soccer / stronger clubs in international tournaments and a stronger national team. This would be the boost you need for americans to start loving the game... because, let me tell you, its the most beatiful and loved sport in the world.

16. amazingjakeo

amazingjakeo New Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are new to this site it seems (even though I'm new also :)). We have discussed the pro/rel system over and over. We are aware of it. But that state champions idea you had doesn't really make sense to an american's perspective, we just don't do that in our sports leagues. But I agree we will get better.

17. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    MLS is available in the UK/Ireland on ESPN, which is pretty minor over here. I'm not sure if ESPN is available to SKY subscribers at all. Time zone differences mean the live game coverage starts after 11.30 pm - sometimes 1.30am.

Football quality ain't bad, but it ain't great either - mostly 10-15th in the Championship IMHO. The real problem for selling MLS games on this side of the pond is the lack of atmosphere at a lot of the games - Jesus, does anyone actually go to an NYRB game. Half-empty stadiums make a fans who's interested in the sport but doesn't know much about the league think "the game's not that VIP/the teams aren't much good; better go to bed."