MLS Hater Jeff Kessler Finds New Dupes

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Bill Archer, Apr 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I think Takei's voice, as somebody who lived through the Japanese interment camps (and probably the best known person still living to do so), is an important one to hear from and keep hearing from.

Rapinoe taking a knee? Well...

My cousin works at Garfield High in Seattle, who's full football team took a knee at Friday night's game. They are largely getting the response you would expect for that move. Garfield is a pretty racially split school. Lots of inner city black kids that are dealing daily with the issues that they are highlighting. My cousin works with them on a daily basis (she's some kind of counselor/activities coordinator, I'm not sure of her exact title) and says that these kids are fully aware of what they're doing, what message they're sending, and why they're sending it.

I am very happy to see it myself. This is what kids/young adults should be learning, in some ways it might be the most important thing they can learn.

2. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is another example of improper wrongful equivalence. Some random yokel's distasteful sign in the Middle of Nowhere, USA should not be compared to institutionalized and governmentally enforced discrimination. How many muslim's were actually affected by that sign? If that guy is really in some small town sh!ithole, I'd wager zero or not far from it. Whereas obviously millions and millions of lives were ruined or really ********ed up due to the above policies.

3. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    So you agree that the issue does not merit being the basis of a highly devisive state law written to humiliate law-abiding taxpayers just 'cause. Glad we're on the same page: NCHB 2 is utter bullshit.

jayd8888 and xtomx repped this.
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took it more as a "remember when we did this twice before? Don't let it become a third" post more than a "we're doing exactly the same thing a third time now" comment.

5. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4305 Jazzy Altidore, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    Sure, I agree its a shit law. Looking at the issue from a utilitarian perspective, however, I suggest more of our limited resources and abilities should be focused elsewhere. But I don't need to make the same point over and over with no-one actually responding to it.

6. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Is there any other female athlete doing it.

Although she is kind of co-opting the kneel to create a discussion about LBGT inequality.

7. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Is this like using resources to create a law in which so few people to almost zero people were affected prior to the law.

EDIT: I may have messed the effect/affect. I am pretty bad with it.

Beau Dure and xtomx repped this.
  8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, I agree.

9. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I understand your point, it's kind of causation / correlation.

10. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I am not mad at all. Hence, why I deleted the part of my post that could have been seen as insulting.

Again, the "single gendered bathrooms" are a symptom of the problem of the historical discrimination. It is "over-exposed" as it is the current example of the historic and completely nonsensical discrimination faced by this particular group of people.
    I am truly sorry that you cannot see the bigger picture.

What you are saying is really like in the 1950's thinking that racially-segregated drinking fountains weren't "a big deal."

Death by car accidents? Far from that issue "get[ting] no play," there have been concerted efforts and action taken on this issue for decades.
    Seat belts, child seats, speed limits, air bags, etc. were all required by law to help reduce "death by car accidents."

You are simply wrong and your analogy is incorrect.

11. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I did respond to you "look at that problem over there argument."
    You were wrong about that one, as well.

12. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is more of a "this is a world with limited resources, so lets allocate our resources in a manner that most efficiently addresses the biggest problems" argument.

13. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because you don't have to worry about being arrested for going to the shitter.

You don't have to worry whether or not you're going to be pulled over for not looking like you belong in a particular neighborhood.

You don't have to worry about your child having beer poured on them by some drunk and being screamed at and told to go "back to the reservation", when your people were already here when everyone else showed up.

It's not important because not only are your rights not be harassed by the fears / distastes for you by the majority, but anyone that does discriminate or persecute you is likely to face less consequences than a person who speeds through a school zone.

You might ask the airbag guys (Takada) about that and their product killed less than 50, not to mention both Ford & Chevy on fuel tank rupture issues. I think you may be a fucking moron if you don't think that there is continuous public involvement for reduction in deaths by car accident, many of which have been fought tooth & nail by the auto industry (seatbelts, crash survivability) or by society overall (drunk driving, redlight cameras, texting while driving).

Literally, how small is your world

jayd8888, sitruc, NeilB and 1 other person repped this.
  14. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Please expand on this.

15. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From my point of view, discriminatory issues that affect Indians are almost always in Middle of Nowhere, USA places, unless it's Cleveland or DC. You know, from angry parents tossing bottles at the football team from Rez school because their best player hung 6 TD's on their kids school, or some jackass not being prosecuted for even a drunk & disorderly for pouring beer on a group of kids from a Rez and screaming at them, because they "don't belong there" to the Dakota Access Pipeline, you know, on top of sports monikers.

From your myopic point of view, a lot of these things are pretty trivial, but when people are allowed to get away with trivial discrimination or abuse, it merely emboldens those who do it and see it to increase it, because they know they will suffer no consequences for it.

jayd8888, AndyMead, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  16. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did respond. It is a crap argument.

xtomx repped this.
  17. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She's not co-opting the kneel for LGBTQ inequality. If anyone actually took the time to read what she said, she's saying that as a member of a minority group that is discriminated against in this country, I understand where Kapaernick is coming from and I'm showing solidarity with his position.

jayd8888, xtomx and Gamecock14 repped this.
  18. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe instead of protesting they should be teaching the kids how to work and comply with rules because that's what you face in the workplace when you become an employee as an adult.

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kids, especially at the high school age, should be learning about how to stand up for what you believe in. How to take steps to affect change. How to think critically about events and how they themselves are affected by them. How to decide for themselves what is right and what is wrong. Critical thinking is arguably the most important skill we can teach to kids.

I don't know these kids specifically, I don't know specifically what they deal with in their daily lives, but I do know what Garfield High has dealt with over the years and what the inner city kids that have gone to Garfield have dealt with. Assuming things haven't massively changed (and all signs point to they haven't) then the issues that we've been discussing around the kneeling for the anthem protests to apply to them. As my cousin put it (who again, works with these kids every day):

jayd8888 and puttputtfc repped this.
  20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Her 15 minutes of fame are fading the further we get into the NFL and college football seasons

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you couldn't find two more obvious sides of an argument posted closer together than these two posts at the same time.

22. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All those soldiers did was follow orders...

jayd8888, AndyMead, El Naranja and 3 others repped this.
  23. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A workplace that many of them won't be able to get into because not only do they have disadvantages from a class perspective, but even if they do qualify for the position, they won't get the job for the bullshit answer that "they don't fit the culture". Which is ALWAYS code for "He's black and he's going to make me feel awkward".

jayd8888, AndyMead, El Naranja and 3 others repped this.
  24. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to hear the "critical thinking" discussions at an inner-city school at the age of 16 or 17.

25. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about tell them: " if you get good grades and are a black kid from an inner-city high school, college is probably going to be free while the white people have to pay full price" rather than teaching them how to stand up what they believe in