MLS general media thread.

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kayak, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus

I think now that NBCSN has created the first? MLS magazine style show we might as well have a thread to discuss them; I’m hopeful there will be more. I would really like to see something in preseason, if they followed any of the young players during the offseason; potential trials anything like that I’d watch that too.

I’m sure it won’t happen anytime soon but just for the hell of it which Crew player would you like to see on MLS 36? Marshall/Williams/Gruenebaum could all be good. If you wanted to go with an attacker maybe Duka? Arrieta and Higuain aren’t established enough and I don’t know how Gaven would do, not really his thing.

2. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like O'Rourke or The Hammer would make for the best TV.

3. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Yeah I think Danny would be great if you could be sure he was going to play.

Also sorry I don't know why the Montero feed went to hell; here's the youtube feed:

4. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Best moments for me:

In Wondo’s John Terry complementing Wondo was cool because Wondo seems like a pretty humble guy. But Dan Kennedy to Wondo “so you’re playing keeper today?” “Wondo now has four minutes to make the bus.” Was pretty great.

In Montero’s all Sigi for me; calling out Alonso “We are very fortunate here we don’t get a red card” halftime during the friendly “Do you want to defend? Do you want to be known as that kind of team that f***ing just pisses away goals? priceless.

5. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone help me out. We are into the playoffs and there has been barely any written about the playoffs. Si.com, espn.com, nbcsports and foxsports barely have anything about the games. Am I missing a site (don't tell me about MLSsoccerpropaganda.com) as a place with actual content? What are the few soccer writers actually doing. Shouldn't this be one of the busiest times of the years with them cracking out content?

6. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    Last week's game is proof that some things are best left unsaid...

7. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's be honest, the MLS playoffs are an after thought pretty much. It works for American sports, but I don't feel like it does with soccer. Imagine if Southampton or Everton had won the 'EPL playoffs' last year instead of City, or Villarreal won La Liga playoffs instead of Real Madrid, or if Mainz won the Bundesliga instead of Bayern.

I'm not a Eurosnob, and I don't think we need to follow Europe 100%, but I'd much rather have no playoffs. Have the Conference Champions play in a 'Super Cup' the next season or something. Or I might even be ok with the two conference champs playing in a one off championship match. And look at the attendance in most games so far, fans don't care either.

Play-In Games
    FC Dallas 2014 attendance average: 16,816. Playoff attendance: 10,279
    NYRB 2014 attendance average: 19,421. Playoff attendance: 15,518

Conference Semifinals
    Columbus Crew 2014 attendance average: 16,881. Playoff attendance: 9,074
    Real Salt Lake 2014 attendance average: 20,3351. Playoff attendance: 20,713
    NYRB 2014 attendance average: 19,421. Playoff attendance: 18,054
    FC Dallas 2014 attendance average: 16,816. Playoff attendance: 16.112

S0, 5 out of 6 games had LOWER attendances than the season average, and two of those teams had TWO playoff games. The only team to do better was RSL.

And I'm not going to bother to look, but I'd bet previous years follow a similar trend as well.

8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But then what do you do to keep the mid-table teams from sagging attendance later in the season? That game we played against New England in September worked so good partially because we had a playoff chase going for us. If it was just the conference winners in MLS Cup, well, imagine being a third-place team in early October with NFL, NCAA football, NHL, high school/youth sports, etc.

I'd guess those first two playoff games were considerably less because they were mid-week games with very little time to sell. The semis all had lower attendance, but does a couple hundred really make a huge difference when you're looking at several thousand anyway? To put it in CCS comparison, 600-700 people might be about half the Nordecke. (I think section 137 had about 485 seats or so.)

9. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were a midtable team most of this season and set the average attendance record. And that September NE game was a dollar beer night wasnt it?

If the playoffs are so damn important then attendance should be higher, period. That being said, apparently tv ratings are up (which isnt saying much for mls).

And we did end up being the third place team this year, and look how much the attendance for the philly game dropped after our last home game, which was a sellout.

Its an interesting question, would you rather be the best team all season and lose in the playoffs, or be mediocre and sneak in and win (like houston or colorado)?