News: MLS Flushing Meadow Park Stadium Plan thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Fiosfan, Jun 26, 2012.

1. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Now that would be interesting. The ideal dynamic the league could ever hope for is a situation where both teams are among the biggest in the league (more Inter/AC Milan than Real/Atletico Madrid). I don't know how much this would do, but I think it would help.

RafaLarios repped this.
  2. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will see...Only time will tell.

3. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah . There ownership interest in Orando, Minnesota, maybe san antonio and vegas. Also Minnesota is gettiing a new stadium, orlando will most likely be looking around, san antonio scropions ulitmate plan is to expand there new stadium to 18,000 seats and the LV sports center proposal. If the groups are willing to pay the 50-60 million expansion fee i doubt the MLS is goibg to refuse that kind of money.

4. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to see this, just for the exploding heads it would cause.

BarcaLover, Sounders78, DoctorD and 3 others repped this.
  5. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope ...The RBs are just finding their audience.

6. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    And perhaps a team name re-branding (and simply keeping RB as a sponsor) would be an excellent way for them to best find their audience (in Harrison and in and around NYC).

No, a team name "re-branding" is not some magic bullet (and certainly MLS clubs have had mixed results via various re-branding efforts), but there may be some very intriguing developments for both the team in Harrison currently, and MLSteam20 that MLS is working to place in NYC (at Flushing Meadows).

Would be very interesting if RB bought the rights to the Cosmos name. (Now I just need to go dig up a post of mine from several months ago where I suggested the possible benefits to such a naming scenario for MLS team 1 in NY/NJ -- had RB opted to take on that Cosmos name for their team when they were first investing in MLS and building that stadium.)

8. MobileSoccerFan

May 14, 2012
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    As an outsider, sounds like the RB fans desperately want to the Cosmos rebrand instead of a rivalry.

Would be an odd thing to happen given the nature of the recent Cosmos v RB fan fights.

Unak78 repped this.
  9. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red Bull isnt going to up the name. They want to sell there product.

Unak78 repped this.
  10. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Well, more specifically, their brand. Their biggest money maker is their drink, but what they're really interested in is selling the Red Bull brand, ideally so that anything that has that name attached sells simply because it's a Red Bull product.

soccermilitant repped this.
  11. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there not going to own a different brand and just put there logo on it. Thye wouldve already did that when the team was named the Metrostars.

12. Ruict

Ruict Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this paragraph makes no sense. Makes me sick. City of NY is BS.

The soccer stadium would be privately financed, but it would still have to overcome significant hurdles: Because the stadium would be built on city-owned park land, the project would need approval from both the City Council and the state Legislature. To make up for the lost green space, MLS would have to create roughly eight acres of new park land elsewhere in the city.

13. MobileSoccerFan

May 14, 2012
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    While I agree, I do think it's worth noting that the MetroStars brand IS NOT the Cosmos brand.

RB corp. needs to way whether having a brand team of mediocre significance with an unknown ceiling has the same punch as having your logo on a team that is essentially it's own brand and has a VERY HIGH ceiling.

14. MobileSoccerFan

May 14, 2012
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Seems pretty standard to me.

15. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They already said that they're building 8 soccer fields within the park.
    FromWSJ..

16. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they not trying to sell the cosmos brand there selling Red Bull.

17. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this appears to be a good point, but I'm not so sure about that. What diehard fan of an existing team anywhere in the world in any sport would decide "I'm going to cheer for a brand new team that 1) doesn't exist yet, 2) doesn't have a name or any sort of culture to identify with, 3) doesn't have a stadium yet, and 4) there's not only no timetable for any of those things, but it may never even happen"?
    Guess what, every nonexistent team has the same number of fans: zero.

18. MobileSoccerFan

May 14, 2012
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Which could possibly sell more by having their logo on the Cosmos instead of having a team.

Just talking the possibilities.

19. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Look, I don't want to get into this discussion again. I'm going to make this fast. In the long run, RB will sell a lot more cans of sodie pop by getting 20,000 people chanting "Let's go Red Bulls" every week than they will ever get by showing millions of people a commercial. Fans of the the team are branded for life.

20. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Hard to know.

Certainly there could be some merit to the idea that a Cosmos jersey (with a front sponsor Red Bull logo) would be a much better seller (and marketable for the RB brand) than the NYRB brand and jersey is on its own.

MLS and NY professional soccer is not an easy "marketing nut" to crack. (we have no real idea if RB Corp is potentially considering some new/different approaches with their MLS team -- relative to what they've previously done in MLS and with their other sporting teams/investments elsewhere in the world.)

And there's also the possibility that RB could be considering the preemptive benefits of taking on the Cosmos brand/name to prevent MLS Team 20 from doing the same, in the same market (if/when MLS is able to get a new venue built and welcome in some new team/investor for Team 20 in NYC).

21. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Particularly if Red Bull is the permanent sponsor for the Cosmos.. But let's be realistic here, the name of the team wouldn't be New York Cosmos, it would be RB New York Cosmos, just like their Leipzig team isn't Red Bull Leipzig, but RB Leipzig.

22. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I'm sorry -- are we talking about the Cosmos that signed Pele, Chinaglia and Beckenbauer and lived the good life until Warner's stock slid? Or the one with a lot of honorary front-office members that has had to back away from several plans on the youth front?

SYoshonis repped this.
  23. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    The talk (somewhat unrelated to this thread's topic of a stadium idea/plan for Flushing Meadows) is of the brand name Cosmos, and whomever (if anybody) wants to buy and use that brand name, assuming it is now or will be in the future for sale as a brand name.

Certainly the brand name Earthquakes is an example for what may become of the brand name Cosmos, if the discussion might be about what may indeed one day be a brand/team named used in MLS.

Perhaps the talk should not be limited and can be somewhat inclusive of any and all things that have been or are branded as Cosmos.

24. The 92nd Fish

The 92nd Fish Member

Jan 16, 2007
    London, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah because fans of PSV Eindhoven absolutely refuse to buy any electronic goods other than those produced by Philips and fans of Bayer Leverkusen go around paying 2/3x the price of generic drugs to buy Bayer drugs. Seriously just think about it. It doesn't even work for the people in the stadium, let alone the greater market.

25. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Remind me how those two teams were started?