MLS Flavors of the Week: 2022 edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jan 1, 2022.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good game so far, two good teams with a bunch of talent between them.

Nooooo idea how Portland just missed that. Blake tearing his defense a new one for that

2. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh

Just rotation for NYCFC. Chicago is a weak opponent, at home, and they were looking ahead to the Open Cup match on Wednesday against New England. Taty and Talles Magno were also out, though Taty was suspended.

3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYCFC, LAFC, and Phili seem to be the early class of 2022 MLS

Marko72 repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #1804 Clint Eastwood, May 23, 2022
    Last edited: May 23, 2022
    Why are people seemingly always surprised when Paul Arriola does something noteworthy like that? He's been doing that for nearly a decade now. It's the same with Roldan. They're good. They do it repeatedly over and over. They're not Christian Pulisic or Brenden Aaronson, but they're consistently good. He's had a couple of bad injuries that have undoubtedly slowed down the trajectory of his career (like Morris, Pomykal, etc.), but that guy is really good in MLS. And if you're really good in MLS, you've got a good shot at the national team.

If ya can't respect the work in MLS, maybe we'll have to post Liga MX goals.

Mike03, Atouk, gogorath and 1 other person repped this.
  5. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    It’s because most human beings are limited and lack the will, courage and basic intelligence.to change their mind. It’s easier and safer to form an opinion, and then do everything possible mentally to stick with it. It’s why humans are so easy to lead and manipulate.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Arriola is having a career year. He hadn't before produced a seasonal per-90 goals plus assist number that he has for this season.

So he hasn't been doing this for a decade.

xbhaskarx, OWN(yewu)ED and Yowza repped this.
  7. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    That’s a decent argument if I was trying to attack the team. But I’m looking at the chart and looking for possible explanation for it. If NYCFC played on a normal sized field, it would be easier to conclude that the players were the main cause. BUT because we have that home field size variable, I think it would be interesting to see if those numbers held up on normal size pitches. I also see the flaw in comparing NYCFC’s away data, to other sides home data, since team’s away lineups and tactics are often different from their home lineups and tactics. So maybe if the data used only away teams data and compares that data it would be more useful.

8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's time with Pomykal. He looked very sharp again last night.

I'm going to be very pissed at Gregg if he doesn't call him in as a replacement for McKennie (who we've heard is going home mid camp) & then closes ranks from that point to the WC.

We aren't in any way settled at that spot, beyond the starters. Reyna's a big injury question, LDLT's crazy overrated, and Roldan's never translated.

Boysinblue, xbhaskarx and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  9. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has it been reported McKennie is going home mid-camp? The only thing I've seen is that he will be on limited minutes and won't be able to start till at least the Nations Leagues games.

10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Sofascore Team of the Week
    * = 23-and-under
    ** = 20-and-under

------------------------Sapong(8.4)MOTM-------
    ---------Arriola(8.0)MOTM---------------OWolff(7.5)2nd**----
    ---------------McNamara(7.7)2nd---Morales(7.4)3rd
    -----------------------------Davis(7.5)3rd---------
    ----Markanich(7.6)2nd*---------------------------Bye(8.8)MOTM--
    ---------------Glad(7.2)2nd-----Birnbaum(7.1)4th---
    ----------------------------Clark(8.3)2nd---

Player of the Week: Sapong Clark Arriola
    23-and-under: Markanich OWolff Mihailovic(7.5)1st
    20-and-under: OWolff Narriel(7.1)7th Cowell(7.1)4th Duke(7.1)4th

Honorable Mention(MOTM, 1st, 2nd)
    Jimenez(7.6)MOTM Mihailovic(7.5)1st DJTaylor(7.5)1st Amaya(7.1)1st* Nelson(7.1)1st Melia(7.2)2nd Glad(7.2)2nd Fernadez(7.1)2nd* Bradley(7.1)2nd Farfan(7.0)2nd*

EXALIFTIN repped this.
  11. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    I'm not sure how Pomykal replaces McKennie in any meaningful way. McKennie is creative, a significant goal threat, and while he's not the most active defender (because his teams control the ball) he's an effective one when called upon to do so.

Pomykal isn't particularly creative or skilled in the passing game, he is no real threat to score, and while he's an active defender he's not a particularly successful one. If you need someone to spot Luca or Musah he seems like more of a candidate. He's maybe an above average MLS CM but not someone whose game screams out for a callup.

frankburgers repped this.
  12. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol with the way you just described Pom...why the hell would he ever get a call uo?

13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Weekly Tidbits

Nice debut start from Colorado's 22 y/o Markanich
    5 key passes
    4/4 tackles

Career day for Bye with 3 assists. He has greatly improved the passing. He just needs to tighten up the tactical aspects of his defending.

Big day for 17 y/o Owen Wolff
    5 key passes
    4 ints

CJ Sapong had 16 goals and 5 assists for the 2017 season. Maybe he could've gotten a call up.

EXALIFTIN repped this.
  14. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    No he’s not.

15. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    See above. I think you are right. I stand corrected.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Fagundez definitely got his American citizenship, though.
    I remember him tweeting about it with a picture of a monster truck.

On the youth boards they followed Fagundez' citizenship timeline like a hawk after he first broke into the Revs. He didn't seem to understand that the USSF couldn't expedite his citizenship timeline.

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2015/0...r-the-u-s-after-choosing-to-play-for-uruguay/

“The moment came when they told me I couldn’t continue because I wasn’t a citizen or a resident,” said Fagundez. “A lot of years passed – so many years – and the situation didn’t change. I was tired of waiting for the United States.”

Fagundez said he had no hard feeling against American soccer officials.

“Right now, I don’t want to play with the United States,” he said. “I’m very happy with Uruguay and I think we can go far.”

17. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I stand uncorrected?

18. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    There is replacement on a roster and replacement as a similar type of player.

I read that as simply duke wants him on roster not as a stylistically similar player necessarily.

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #1819 Clint Eastwood, May 23, 2022
    Last edited: May 23, 2022
    :)

Fagundez' situation was a lot like Andy Najar's.
    The timeline just didn't work. I'm not sure Andy Najar has ever gotten his citizenship.

By the way, Diego Fagundez is far and away the leader in MLS appearances now for homegrown field players. He's 27 years old and has played ~325 matches across all competitions. Its a great and dubious mark at the same time!! [If he keeps playing well, he's got a shot at the all-time appearance mark in MLS for a field player.]

He might actually be first overall. Maybe he's got a few more than Bill Hamid now. Last time I bothered tabulating the numbers I think Gyasi Zardes was in 3rd place.

20. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    So, now that we've got the Fagundez thing settled, I feel like .... if the MNT struggles to score, we should at least be keeping an eye on the top US-eligible assist guys in MLS, incl Amaya and Cowell.

21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deila rotates his midfield regularly. Parks and Morales haven't started together since April 17th.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  22. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    We don’t have a lot of good midfielders is why. One gets hurt, we’re in trouble. You don’t have to go too far down to get to Pomykal. He’s not a terrible player, he’s a bit above average for MLS.

23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What... Arriola usually tops out around 6-7 goals per season when healthy, so scoring a goal every other game is NOT the usual for him, it's an improvement.

[​IMG]

Exactly.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost hoping for one of the midfielders to not be game-ready so Gregg is forced to call in Pomykal or Keaton Parks... and if he still does not (Jackson Yueill :mad:) I will literally riot at the capitol with AC

thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  25. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watch every FC Dallas game and while I think Pomykal has been pretty good yesterday was the 1st time since his long injury layoff where he looked like the player many of you are clamoring over. The pace seems to have returned and his entry balls are super legit. Really like him as an 8 in the USMNT system and would be cool with him as a double-pivot 6 if GB ever decides to try it out again. But I still don't see him as a must call up right now. If I see the player I saw yesterday consistently then I will change my tune.