MLS Flavors of the Week: 2022 edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    It’s a great question. Larin was notoriously lazy when he played for OC; as many goals as he scored for us, he was one of the most hated players by our fans. Once he went to Turkey, he was required to press/ play defense to even see the field. Forward to now, and he is a complete player. If moving up a level pushes Pefok to work harder and improve his weakness, than that’s great.

Mike03, ardubois3, theboogeyman and 6 others repped this.
  2. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'd rather earn than go to the World Cup. But I'm not in his shoes. Far from it.

3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    It is interesting to see how much the first section differs with the youtuber's analysis of Vazquez -- that he was slow to react and recognize situations.

On the one hand, Lowery can be a bit effusive and overly positive ... on the other, he has things like stats and footage.

And up next ... Vazquez is a quality hold up guy ... in comparison to the guy who thought Brenden Aaronson would be 50/50 good at it?

5. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    Zimmerman had some very nice passes out there last night

6. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    He played 15(!) minutes in the stupid friendly. He didn't prove anything as he didn't even have a chance. His place in the camp he deserves based on the whole season, but any talk of Qatar roster is highly premature before September.

jaykoz3 and gogorath repped this.
  7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Lack of time with the US.

8. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Yesh, I don’t think he has had the same chance to show out that lots of other CF candidates have. Hopefully he gets that shot in September.

Dervos repped this.
  9. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    IndividualEleven repped this.
  11. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pefok lost his spot, because Pepi was scoring and he wasn't. Then, Gregg switched to playing a False 9 and when Pefok was called up, he continued to not score.

12. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Might be a streaky inconsistent striker. Not an uheard thing. Pepi is another one. GB needs to take a lucky guess. Ferreira is very consistent on another hand what's good, and Sargent is unfortunately too. Vasquez looks pretty consistent, but is his ceiling high enough?

13. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what his ceiling is but his floor is a lot higher than it used to be.

14. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pepi hasn't score in 8 months, that includes the month and half in MLS and all of his time in Germany. His chances to score in a WC is slim at best.

15. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    A lot of discussion re: Pefok is that he's somehow established himself as a high-level scorer at Union. I wouldn't be so hasty. He's had two games so far; one against a 2. Bundesliga team (where he scored a tough goal) and another in which he converted a 20% chance against a top-flight team. If anything he's had a not-great beginning to his Union career concealed by some hot finishing.*

*(but it's too early to tell.)

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Pefok has a solid record spanning UCL, Ligue 1, EL, and the B1. He's not 18.

17. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    And that should be enough to get him into the camp.

18. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    Yes and no. He's got an indisputable scoring record at the Swiss Super League and Ligue 2 level. At the first-division (top-five) or continental levels, we're talking per-90 expected goals + assists ranging from .4 to .87. Lot of variation, and some awfully small sample sizes -- he's never convinced a coach to give him starters' minutes at a top-5 league level so far in his career. That should be a pretty curious factoid for Pefok proponents, I would think.

I basically think if you have a strong opinion about which forward is indisputably the best, you're exaggerating quite a bit. All the forward options are unproven and flawed; you're basically guessing if you strongly prefer one guy above the others.

Pegasus and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny, I often find that Lowery tries too hard to be critical of Americans and MLS to seem unbiased.

gogorath repped this.
  20. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Yeah, I think what I meant by that is that when he's in print, he really pushes for the strong point of view, and it's usually positive.

In a podcast, he's actually generally very cagey.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He has 2920 minutes across Ligue 1, the B1, Champions League, and Europa League. I disagree that's an ' awfully small sample size'. He has 13 goals and 5 assists in those minutes for a g+a per 90 rate of 0.56, which is good.

I have Vazquez and Pefok as the top strikers for the US. I can't say Pefok is 'indisputably' the best, as he hasn't enough minutes with the US. He is unproven with the US, certainly. He obviously is not unproven as a pro.

22. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Striker minutes, USMNT 2022, all competitions:

Pepi 641
    Fereira 279
    Zardes 179
    Pefok 140
    Sarge 116
    Wright 45
    Vasquez 0

23. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    It all depends upon circumstance. Brooks has been earning good money for a while now. Unless he has been bad with his finances, he could afford to choose a wc over a few measly million...if it was his choice to make. Of course, if he sees his chances for a wc as slim to none, than the big payday is at least some consolation.

If I had the chance, right now, I would do like you and take the money but I am not in the same financial boat as Brooks.

24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Brooks was never making the squad.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Indeed. He was great for 2nd tier clubs and leagues. He scored goals for fun in Ligue 2 for Reims. Not in Ligue 1 for Reims. Now he'll have a chance to prove it on a bigger stage than the Swiss League.

And it should be pointed out that Pefok was in our last USMNT camp roster that truly mattered. That was the last do-or-die WCQing window. And he played. I'm not sure I understand this whole thread about how Berhalter doesn't like him or doesn't use him.

For the USMNT of late, a guy actually scoring for us...............gets a run in the squad. Pepi scores some WCQing goals? He gets a run. Ferreira scores some goals? He gets a run. If Pefok (or Vasquez) gets a chance at the upcoming camp, and does well...............he could be our starter in Qatar.

Bajoro repped this.