MLS Flavors of the Week: 2022 edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jan 1, 2022.

1. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he wasn't. He was on the bench for both matches.

Naturally, he got dropped for poor play after the Mexico abomination (again, not just the missed semi-sitter).

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's your opinion.

Put yourself in GGG's shoes here. You selected players to perform against our biggest rival in the region. They didn't perform. This is no different then a manager not selecting you for another big project when you previously didn't perform. It's not personal, it's not a grudge, it's business. It's about getting results.

Mario Balotelli repped this.
  3. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Berhalter defense committee in full force; mounting resistance against statements that weren't even criticisms. Rather you took umbrage with semantics.

You didn't even disagree with what I said, which was, in effect, that he dropped players for a disastrous performance in a big match. But I used the terminology "grudge" for that. So that warranted a response...I guess.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DeJuan Jones

5. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you expect guys to respond to when you use that term?

grudge - malice, malevolence, ill will, spite

Mike03, gomichigan24 and jaykoz3 repped this.
  6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If Pefok had been tagged by Berhalter for the USMNT, his agent would have told him to stay in Swiss League rather than risk not performing in BL and being dropped. Because Berhalter told him he'd need to step up to make the team, his agent worked overtime to get him the BL gig and now both agent and player stand to cash in nicely, agw.

Reasonable scenario? Or do we stay with the grudge theory..........o_O

p,s, edit: With Malik getting into the action, I've thought of a name for the USMNT since we are mocked for being the only nat team without a nickname. How about Elsie?

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't understand the argument at all.

Are people surprised that when a player doesn't perform in a big game, that another player is chosen the next game? Isn't that how this is supposed to work?

Who can argue Berhalter has a "grudge" against Pefok, when he was literally called up to the last "do or die" WCQing window?

onefineesq, jaykoz3 and SoccerFanInIA repped this.
  8. ardubois3

ardubois3 Member

May 20, 2015
    When Pefok went to Union his chances of making the team went way up in my mind because he is on a team where he is expected to press. His lack of effective pressing was his biggest issue vis a vis the national team in my mind.

theboogeyman and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  9. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is an interesting point.
    Why is it Pefok didn't press well for the MNT but for the past two games his pressing has been good for club. Did he find the fountain of youth?

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  10. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Berhalter defense crew is an unstoppable force. Even when you clarify what you meant multiple times, and it wasn't a criticism in the first place, just a tendency to explain the absence of Pefok or whoever (which I agree w/), and a lot of managers have, they still persist as if it never happened. Continue to straw man.

I hope you guys are paid for this and don't just do it for free. Though I think that you do, and it's just something superficial like you have an acquaintance in the organization you are compelled to irrationally stick up for constantly. Even when it's not actually under attack.

RalleeMonkey, la torre and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good lord, is every fullback in belgium going to be american?

12. ardubois3

ardubois3 Member

May 20, 2015
    I think it’s tough to expect a player to do something well that they aren’t doing with their club team. Pressing isn’t just effort, right? It’s reading the game and knowing when and where to press. That’s a lot harder to do if you are thinking about it, rather than it being second nature.

tomásbernal and jaykoz3 repped this.
  13. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    How many instinctive goal scorers are good at pressing?

14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    No, a better team.

15. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pefok played 168 minutes across 6 successive games in the first half of 2021, so between that and what Berhalter has seen in training seems to have been enough for him to make his mind up.

16. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    What do we think Berhalter made his mind up about regarding Pefok?

In terms of facts, Pefok played in the first window, coming in against El Salvador and starting against Canada. Those two games weren't offensive successes, and he didn't get called in again until March.

In that time, Pepi exploded and then tailed off. Zardes had a game and then hasn't been seen again. Ferreira came in and played pretty well.

I could see people saying Berhalter was done with Pefok at that point.

But in March, he was called in with Pepi and Ferreira. Pepi started against Mexico, Pefok came in and did miss that shot. Ferreira started against Panama, which may have been a reaction to Pepi and Pefok underperformance, or maybe just matchups.

Pepi started the Costa Rica game, and Ferreira came in to finish it off.

And Pefok was hurt for Nations League. He still gets mentioned by Berhalter.

I suppose that miss in Mexico could have been a final straw. But I don't know why we think his situation is worse now than before March, when he hadn't been called in for months.

There's no doubt that Ferreira and Pepi are preferred in terms of style. I don't think it's all that debatable that Berhalter wants a more complete striker who can both press and play in the build up, and Pefok is lacking there.

But is he really somehow completed excluded, and because of a miss? Eh. The miss doesn't help -- if he had made it there's a shift in the offense/defense calculus, I'm sure.

But people on here spend a lot of time building up a lot of anger over choices they've only assumed Berhalter has made.

17. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Scoring and pressing are not exclusive. There's always a question of endurance there, but these aren't contradictory skillsets.

Can you define what you mean by instinctive goal scorer?

18. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps he understood what the USMNT coaching staff likely told him he needed to show in order to get a callup for the WC.

19. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah....our coaching staff has no clue what they are doing. Just ask the BS braintrust.

20. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pefok is a big, physical, classic #9 and the goal he scored for Union was an instinctive, classic #9 goal where he got to the ball first.

It opened eyes in the BuLi because he looks like a player wo will score in the box with quarter chances.

Calling BS, Bajoro and dspence2311 repped this.
  21. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    A centerforward who scores. Cool. Maybe if he had gotten to beat up on Morocco he’d be our #1 now.

22. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

23. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tolkin seems likely to be going to Europe soon either way.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aaron Long and Sean Johnson looked like monsters against Liga MX tonight.

IndividualEleven and Bajoro repped this.
  25. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States