MLS Flavors of the Week: 2021 edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Eleven Bravo, Jan 19, 2021.

1. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Top 10 Things Responsible for Pulisic's performances:

1) The coach
    2) The team
    3) Timo Werner
    4) Trump
    5) Bitcoin
    6) Hillary's e-mails
    7) Chemtrails
    8) MLS bias
    9) The Star Wars Prequels
    10) The Grouper Fish Mafia

2. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE! IT WAS SAID YOU'D DESTROY THE SITH NOT JOIN THEM!

jaykoz3 and MPNumber9 repped this.
  3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Not really.

4. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s true but I want to know why.

I have little recollection of those early games. Berhalter seems to only use him as a winger except for the beat down of Martinique.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/cristi...eler/354792/hauptwettbewerb/GC/verein_id/3505

5. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess we both slightly mis-remember. He was actually in his Seattle spot for that game. Zimmerman and Pines both getting hurt put an end to that experiment in Gold Cup.

7. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did use him in the midfield at times early on. For instance against Mexico in the Gold Cup Final in 2019. Where I thought he looked good in the early going, until he and the team faded later in the match.

8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Against Martinique, Roldan played right forward, which was where he'd mainly played for Seattle this past season.

[​IMG]

9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    There's none of Pep's interest in the US, either.

Editor In Chimp repped this.
  10. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, none other than he loved living in NYC during his year long sabbatical.

It wouldn't be shocking if he went to coach NYC FC. Especially if CFG gets s stadium built. Pep coaching them in their maiden season in a new stadium in NYC.....that would put buts in seats, and bring eyes to TV/Computer/tablet/phone screens.

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    US = National Team.

12. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that....I was adding more context to your point. He's not interested in the USNT (at least from what has been said), but he likely is interested in living in the US again.

13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The context had already been provided by other posters, but cool.

14. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    If we're fantasying for 2026 then Roberto Mancini should be toward the tops of our list. Don't get me wrong if Pep wants it he gets it but call me skeptical that he will.

After his success with Italy, Mancini may want a new challenge and a US team hosting with our current talent trajectory could be really appealing to a bunch of coaches we would otherwise never pull. I can dream right?

15. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Just chose your comment on Roldan when I could have chosen others to quote as well.

But in regards to where Roldan has played for Seattle this year, he has essentially replaced Lodeiro for the whole season.

That role is as 10 with the freedom to go wherever the heck you want.

Obviously Roldan will play that role differently. He doesn't get out to the left nearly as much. He combined more on the right and then late runs centrally when ball is wide left. He always puts in the defensive effort.

The few times Lodeiro got minutes, he played on the right, or as an 8.

I believe Roldan started as an 8 in the playoff game. Alex was banged up which pushed Rowe to RWB and Schmetzer didn't want to start Atencio.

Next season Roldan could be a locked in 8.

Lodeiro's health is in question. Barely played this year. Ruidiaz reportedly wants out or is negotiating very strongly. Morris is back and likely not leaving Seattle anytime soon.

Morris might get a shot up top if Ruidiaz isn't back.

And thus Roldan may be playing up again.

But if everyone is healthy and back, Roldan is back to an 8.

Don't tell anyone, but I want to move on from Lodeiro and leave Roldan in that spot then continue to develop Atencio and Leyva in the CM spots. They need minutes badly.

Mahtzo1 and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  16. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Lodeiro turns 33 in March. He's probably done as anything close to a full time player, and he's probably not terribly far off from being done altogether.

We saw this with Valeri and Nani (who was miles better at his peak than either of those guys). At 33, 34, playing full time a full season in MLS is asking for productivity to go to zero. Nani was in MLS for 33, 34, 35, and he always had an MVP first half and then cratered. Valeri was a superstar at 31, strong at 32, 33, and now has gotten hurt and fallen off a cliff.

Those two are now 35, so he *might* have another great year next year.

But I wouldn't bet on it. And if I'm Seattle, I think about a super sub role.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  17. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've really been fascinated by the difference between the performance, stats and perception of Roldán. I've started watching Sounders games to see for myself. He looks good to me. I also appreciate the detailed player ratings from Realio from Sounder at Heart.

18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Before GGG's hire, David Moyes, Tata Martino, and Julen Lopetegui had been interested in the US job. Klopp and Pep wouldn't be so removed from those three.

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Seattle had mostly played 4231 during the Lodeiro years. Dempsey played the 10, before Lodeiro took over the position.

This season, Seattle have mostly used a 343 with Roldan playing inside forward, rather than attacking midfield. Lodeiro only played 476 minutes so wasn't a big part of this season's reckoning.

20. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd argue there's a few tiers between those guys and Klopp / Guardiola.

21. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fook, Sullivan's out too. Could have been his chance to be a hero & vault his prospects. But looks like it'll still be a chance for Paxten & McGlynn.

That lineup will really be interesting. I'd guess Freese starts in net. Harriel may start. Powell manned his spot last game. Both their cb's are out. Does that mean Brandon Craig?! Real may be needed for LB.

It was already going to be tough enough beating a hot NYCFC team in Yankee Stadium. Though they have some attrition of their own.

Covid has really messed w/ competitive integrity and created a lot of asterisks in team accomplishments during this time.

22. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luckily the game will be at Subaru Park!

50/50 Ball repped this.
  23. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that absolutely sucks for the Union, so hard.

24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Availability is part of winning. There's nothing wrong with the integrity of the competition.

onefineesq repped this.
  25. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I strongly disagree. This stinks even as a neutral. Practically speaking, anybody who passes a test game day should be eligible.

Eleven Bravo repped this.