MLS Flavors of the Week: 2021 edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Eleven Bravo, Jan 19, 2021.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Roldan has mainly been used as an inside/wide forward in 343. He's certainly not a real a-mid.

2. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you call him a forward though? He spends too much time defending and central according to his season heatmap, I guess the heatmap kinds of makes the case that he's all over the place.

https://www.sofascore.com/player/cristian-roldan/790171

tomásbernal repped this.
  3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #5003 IndividualEleven, Dec 2, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    IndividualEleven repped this.
  5. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Pulisic would be a better fit in a system in which he didn't have to track back so far. Like Liverpool. Or Barcelona.
    :ROFLMAO:
    But actually in terms of style of play, Roldan would be a better fit than Pulisic currently is at Chelsea.

7. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s definitely said he wants to coach a national team next and there aren’t a ton of obvious candidates.

Brazil has basically never hired foreign coach, England just extended Southgate past this World Cup, Germany just hired Flick and Klopp has also expressed interest in taking over once he finishes at Liverpool. And I think his views on Catalan independence make him a no go for Spain.

It’s not inconceivable he’d take the US job if it were available. Of course he also finished her career in Mexico so he could have interest there too.

dspence2311 repped this.
  8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That could be an angle. And I could see wisdom in trying to buy lowish on the US' talent, in conjunction w/ enjoying a home WC.

But it would be hard to finagle getting the US job mid-cycle. Whoever the manager would be earlier would have to flop first.

I've been a pro domestic option in the past because of pool knowledge & system quirks. But I think the way our system is evolving to where domestics are getting moves from MLS to Europe around 20, independent of the nat'l team, I think we might want to prioritize a tactician in a couple years. Also his particular style the youth would take better to. And he likely wouldn't be as inflexible or at least inept at executing his strategy.

9. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    USSF would never dump a manager mid-cycle in order to hire a trendy Euro manager…

Doogh, jaykoz3 and rgli13 repped this.
  10. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Appropriate sarcasm, though Sunil Gulati and Dan Flynn are no longer in charge.

11. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bob gave them the leeway though. That's the type of scenario I'm talking about that could work in Guardiola's favor, hypothetically. But he'd be blind to whether it would come to fruition.

Berhalter, Marsch, or whoever it is could win the Gold Cup, and make a switch unrealistic. Meaning, if the motive for Guardiola moving here was to get the nat'l team job eventually, it'd be all for naught. Or at least he'd have to wait until after the cycle.

12. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Har har, Love that. But is he 'trendy' or 'real deal'? If the USSF didn't get rid of who ever the heck is in place for the opportunity to have that man lead the team then I really give up.

13. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Such a possibility intrigues me on one level, but honestly, I just really can't imagine Pep Guardiola moving to NYCFC as a stepping stone to get the USMNT job. If he actually wants the job, he'll simply make it privately known to USSF that he's interested in the job, and what sort of situation/terms would be agreeable to him. He doesn't exactly need to "prove himself." He might need a good US-knowledgable assistant or two.

Pestbeulen repped this.
  14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
  15. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I approve of this highly unlikely (in several ways) fantasy!

16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Klopp would be a better fit, if we're fantasizing

17. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I’m probably going to be in the minority on this, but I think Guardiola is one of the most overrated coaches/managers in any sport, in history. I think he got lucky his tenure at Barca coincided with a one in a generation academy class and a once in a lifetime player, and since then he’s managed the two richest teams in two separate leagues. His biannual pummelings of Burnley and Watford don’t impress me given his 3rd choice left back cost more than the opponent’s entire starting XI.

I think his own opinion of his genius far outweighs his actual genius, and his hubris has resulted in him underperforming relative to the teams he had at Bayern and City when he runs into peer opposition in the CL.

If we’re going to daydream on club managers to take over the NT, give me Klopp or Tuchel over Pep 100/100.

18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The discussion for this is in 2023, so USSF would have to be satisfied w/ hiring an interim for the first year of a cycle again. And they'd have to not maintain Gregg if he makes a run at the WC. Plenty of moving parts here.

Well, I'd agree, but there's no credible rumor of his interest, AFAIK.

19. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its not a hypothetical, though- he was used as an 8 for his first 19 or so caps and couldnt have been less of a factor in any of them, then hes been used as a (whatever you want to call it) since- when hes been vaguely helpful.

20. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ah yes, the phil jackson conundrum

Pestbeulen repped this.
  21. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Jackson bombed out hard when he no longer had the most talented rosters/individuals in the league to coach though, so…

22. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    He did?

Jackson has had a winning record every year as a head coach, and currently has the highest winning percentage of any Hall of Fame coach, and the highest of any NBA coach coaching 500 games or more.

TheHoustonHoyaFan and gogorath repped this.
  23. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    That’s my fault; I was conflating him being president of the Knicks with coaching them.

dlokteff repped this.
  24. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah. he was terrible as a GM

25. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Club ain't NT, simply.

TheHoustonHoyaFan and 50/50 Ball repped this.