MLS Flavors of the Week: 2021 edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Eleven Bravo, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yeah, though I suppose it wasn't easy being an American goalkeeper back in the 70s, and he managed it.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  2. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Never take your eyes off the depth chart. I'm sure it's moot this cycle unless there's a horrible rash of injuries, but next cycle is four years long...

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Austin fc signed McKenze Gaines, boom, forward problem solved (that abs signing the ex Zenit forward as a dp)

4. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    had that sweet zardes v haiti assist last night, though it wasnt really fair cause clark knew where the attacker was :cool:

5. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cade Cowell needs more seasoning. He was also having issues with the turf in Seattle.

6. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hollingshead is some variety of evangelical. I wonder if his religious beliefs somehow prevent him from representing the country?

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Not in that sense. He's reportedly passed up opportunities in order to spend his off-seasons doing charity work. That's very important to him.

Hollingshead has always been better going forward than defensively.
    He's a former #10.
    He's not as good defensively as Vines. Bello? I don't know. Bello's athleticism seems to get him out of tricky situations when his positioning, etc. let him down.

Against CONCACAF? Hollingshead would presumably be fine. Just like Lovitz was fine. [For some reason Lovitz became a punching bag on these boards. He's good for Nashville, and do people know what the USMNT's record was in games that Lovitz started?]

Sometimes players miss their window, and I think Hollingshead missed his window. The USSF has moved on to younger options, and we have yet another wave about to come thru (led by Gomez, Tolkin, etc.)

This might be one of those "what might have been" situations. If he hadn't gotten hit by that car right as he was entering his prime, this could have been a different story. Let's not forget that he broke 3 vertebrae in his neck.

Bajoro, OWN(yewu)ED, neems and 5 others repped this.
  8. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for this info. Perhaps, then, all the NT coaches have been aware that he wouldn't accept callups during the summer and so what's the point in bringing him in if he'd never make himself available for selection during the months that generally matter most for the NT?

xbhaskarx repped this.
  9. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Even if Ricardo Pepi continues to impress, when would you bring him in? Would you gamble a roster spot on any upcoming wcq's? Or just wait for camp cupcake?

10. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I would bring him into camp this fall (I don't care which one).

1. Get him involved with the team.
    2. Get him some high level training.
    3. IF the matches went well in that window then sub him in for some minutes in the second or third match of the window.
    Low risk/high reward to me.

Bajoro, Pegasus, gogorath and 9 others repped this.
  11. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That has little to do with it. It ended up being a standard injury timetable-wise like a blown knee, only w/ less lingering impact.

Dallas' coach, and you were defending this, wasn't starting him with regularity, and would play him all over the park. It created a stigma for him.

Also, the college system and positional switches give a player a much smaller window than your typical footballer worldwide.

It was a similar situation as Shea Salinas, and to a lesser extent CJ Sapong or Nick Lima. This is where it helps to have nat'l team managers who have savvy and lack prejudice find diamonds in the rough, not Jurgen Klinsmann.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  12. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i wait for jan, or whenever we can get a team together without qualifying on the line.

porkrind repped this.
  13. no exit

no exit Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    Bring him in at earliest opportunity, especially since GGG is indicated he wants to bring in expanded rosters to aid rotations. There's little reason to think Pepi can't be a backup forward against, like, El Salvador or Honduras.

sXeWesley, xbhaskarx, porkrind and 5 others repped this.
  14. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Yep, if Greg is willing to expand to a 30 man camp there's room for Clark, Cowell, Pepi, Pomykal, Miles Robinson, etc in any given camp depending on the opponent. Then he can choose from those available players putting one or two of them on the bench in a game day 23 shouldn't hinder anything.

Pegasus, xbhaskarx, porkrind and 2 others repped this.
  15. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether this is possible depends on the roster rules.

Edited, just checked, a 30 man roster is fine. The matchday roster must be given to the ref 85 minutes before kickoff.

tomásbernal repped this.
  16. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you share a link to the rules you found?

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not seeing it say anything about calling rosters larger than 23. It notes that The starting lineup must be provided no less than 85 minutes before kickoff.

It also says: "Each association entering the preliminary competition shall provide FIFA with as extensive and realistic a provisional list as possible of prospective players for the preliminary competition no later than 30 days before its first qualifying match. This list shall show each player’s last name, first name(s), current club, date of birth and passport number as well as the head coach’s last name, first name(s), date of birth and nationality."

This is the only number 30 relevant to rosters that I found in the document. It also says that provisional list isn't binding and players can be added as late as one day before the qualifying match in question, so it seems very broad. Nonetheless, I can only imagine the clubs' rage if NT coaches start calling up 40 players to qualifying camps, knowing that only 23 will be rostered for a game.

19. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't put a limit on rosters and says that if one of the 12 subs get injured he can be replaced on matchday. Again, that implies no limits on rosters.

20. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where do you see that one of the 12 sub can be replaced on matchday?

Section 19, 6b:

"If any of the 12 substitutes named on the start list (given to the ref 85 minutes before kickoff) are not able to be fielded for any reason, the player(s) concerned may not be replaced on the bench by an additional player"

Bolded part is my addition. I agree that the overall roster size seems very broad, up to one day before the game in question. I'm sure you had responded before I added content to the post you were responding to, so maybe go back and check the edited version.

21. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    great point - that sounds feasible as a relatively low-risk way to see how he fares against others in the player pool. And if it works out, he can be named to one of the rosters.

22. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I missed the word 'not', which changes my conclusion:oops:

19.1 just says the provisional roster must be 'extensive and realistic'. There's no specific number.

19.2 states the list is not binding and may be changed the day before the match.

tomásbernal repped this.
  23. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Huh?

The rosters aren’t larger than 23 but each game’s roster is unique and need have no tie to the other.

Do you can have a unique 23 man roster to each game.

This isn’t that hard.

24. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only reason I've questioned it is because of what I posted earlier today (I think it was today, anyway)--what kind of rage will clubs have if NT coaches start calling up 40 players for each window? FIFA seems to have let it very open-ended.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I was wondering if there was a limit to the number of players you could call up for a NL or WCQ break.