MLS Flavors of the Week: 2021 edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Eleven Bravo, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We’re into the new year, and there’s a lot to discuss...

One of the first issues will be how and when will the league start because of Covid? How does the league plan to be structured because of Covid? Will we have another summer tournament? How does the league plan to adjust to the demands and costs because of Covid? Unfortunately, this discussion will matter as we can expect this pandemic to have some impact on the flavors of the week.

Next - we have the introduction of Austin FC, and Charlotte FC, Sacramento Republic, and Saint Louis City FC will be preparing to enter the league soon. As we round out expansion, we should start to see all the clubs in MLS establish themselves with controlled stadium situations, youth academies, and so forth.

For fun - what are your predictions for this year? What clubs look good and which need work? Who do you predict will be MVP, win golden boot, best defender, etc.? Before every season, it’s always good fun to see how right/wrong you will be by the end of the season?

Also - what’s going on with youth development and the reserves? I’ve heard rumor of u23 league but nothing substantial. We must continue to press forward and pioneer ways to improve the depth and development of clubs in the league.

And, we need to discuss who will be the Brenden Aaronson and Mark McKenzie of 2021? Who’s on your radar now? Who is likely to start on the bench at the start but boost their stock as the season goes on? Likewise, what will January Camp 2022 look like?

Finally, I’m working on a club-by-club profile on what to watch for as a USMNT fan, and hope to post soon...

2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS 2021 - Americans to Watch - EAST

ATLANTA UNITED
    Projected XI:
    GK Guzan*
    RB Escobar
    CB Meza
    CB Robinson*
    LB Bello*
    MF Hyndman*
    MF Remedi
    AM Moreno (DP)
    RW Damm
    LW Barco (DP)
    FW Josef (DP) / Lopez​

Season Outlook: I would love to lie and say I feel very optimistic about Atlanta 2021, but I don’t feel that way. What once started as an FO who seemed like they were doing everything right... now it seems like they’re doing everything wrong. Its definitely not easy being an Atlanta fan, and I am worried about not making the play-offs again. Josef is a question mark. Barco is a bust. And Moreno is meh. Then, there are no quality academy products coming up the pipe. Still, you have to think that Atlanta won’t let that happen again. And if Josef returns to form, Atlanta might redeem itself.

Americans to watch:
    • George Bello (LB/LWB) - Bello is the main player to watch for Atlanta United - both for what he can do for the Olympic team, and for the hope that he can transform into solid depth for the national team as our second best natural left back. We are desperate for Bello to have a great season - and he has the potential to do so.
    • Miles Robinson (CB) - I’m a little less high on Miles than others. Although a great highlight reel defender, Robinson loses focus throughout the game and lacks the concentration to be an elite level defender. But he’s still young. If he can figure that part of his game out, then we should have another promising center back in the running.
    • Brad Guzan (GK) - Because we don’t have a solid #2 keeper, don’t be shocked if Berhalter turns to him, in case of an emergency. He’s getting older but he should be a reliable enough keeper for the rest of the ‘22 cycle.
    • Brooks Lennon (RB/RM) - He’s an outside choice for the Olympics, I’m but because he can play wing, and because we are so thin at wing - especially in MLS, he could sneak in there with a good season. He needs to beat out Jurgen Damm and prove Atlanta had some sense when they traded Gressel with Lennon as his heir apparent.
    • Emo Hyndman (CM) - It’s highly unlikely that Emo will ever be a US player. The main thing working against him is physicality. Still, he should get plenty of reps for Atlanta this year, unless they can work Moreno down to a TAM and sign another DP - which they must do if they wish to reclaim their former glory.
    Other Americans: Alec Kann (GK), Mikey Ambrose (LB), Adam Jahn (FW)

Youth Watch: Tyler Wolff (RW), Jackson Conway (FW), Efrain Morales (CB), George Campbell (CB), Caleb Wiley (LB), Will Reilly (MF)

CHICAGO FIRE
    Projected XI:
    GK Kronholm* / Shuttleworth *
    CB Kappelhoff
    CB Calvo
    CB Pineda*
    RM Frankowski
    CM Gimenez(DP)
    CM Medran
    AM Stojanovic
    LM Aliseda (DP)
    FW Ivanov (Herbers)
    FW Beric (DP)​

Season Outlook: I don’t know if Chicago will go with a 352 but I wonder if they could optimize their team that way. What once was one of the most frustrating clubs in the league, I believe there’s reason to start to hope. They seem solid across the XI and more importantly they’re bringing up some promising academy players.

Americans to watch:
    • The Goalkeepers - Kenneth Kronholm, Bobby Shuttleworth, Chris Brady, and Gabe Slonina - Kronholm has been injured and has been mediocre. It’s generous to say that Shuttleworth is a MLS back up quality keeper. Meanwhile, does that mean that Chicago could turn to some of the most promising young goalkeepers in the country - Chris Brady? Gabe Slonina? It’s probably too early, but I’d watch for a cameo appearance this season.
    • Mauricio Pineda (CB / DM) - Pineda has snuck into US contention after a good 2020 season. There are questions about his ceiling, but if you’re watching Chicago, watch Pineda.
    • Andre Reynolds (LB) - If Chicago sticks with a 4 man backline, it can’t count on Bornstein all cycle. This should open up a spot for Reynolds. Although he’ll have competition from Miguel Navarro.
    • Bryan Gutierrez (AM) - It’s a leap to say Gutierrez will get a shot this year, but he’s a solid prospect and Stojanovic is still hurt, I believe.
    Other Americans: Jonathan Bornstein (LB), Wyatt Omsberg (CB)

Youth Watch: Chris Brady (GK), Gabe Slonina (GK), Nicholas Slonina (CB), Bryan Gutierrez (AM), Javier Casas (CM), Andre Reynolds (LB), Allan Rodriguez (DM), Alex Monis (RW/FW)

FC CINCINNATI
    Projected XI:
    GK Tyton / Cropper*
    RB Bailey*
    CB Van der Werff
    CB Hagglund*
    LB Matarrita
    MF Mokotjo
    MF Cruz (DP)
    MF Amaya*
    RF Kubo (DP)
    FW Locadia (DP)
    LF Gyau*​

Season Outlook: It looks like another long year for Cincinnati. I predict they’ll finish close to the bottom of the table. If they wish to reverse that misfortune, I’ll put that pressure on Frankie Amaya to make this team better than they are.

Americans to Watch:
    • Frankie Amaya (CM) - The main man to watch at Cincinnati... let’s hope he’s fully recovered from Covid and he builds off a good 2020.
    • Joe Gyau (FB/WG) - Gyau should line up where ever there is a need for him - either at fullback or on the wing. Personally, I hope he’ll get more of a shot to compete for a forward spot.
    • Nick Hagglund (CB) - Hagglund is the epitome of a regular, starting MLS center back who will likely never be USMNT worthy.
    • Zico Bailey (RB) - It might be generous to say he’ll be Cincinnati’s starting right back, but we should watch for that.
    • Caleb Stanko (DM) - Stanko makes this list not for what he’s expected to do for Cincinnati, but he should be up for a trade. And I’m interested what he can do for a club that doesn’t horde defensive mids.
    Other Americans: Cody Cropper (GK), Saad Abdul-Salaam (RB)

Youth Watch: Beckham Sunderland (GK), Ben Mines (R/LW), Brandon Vasquez (FW)

COLUMBUS CREW
    Projected XI:
    GK Room
    RB Afful
    CB Mensah
    CB Keita*
    LB Valenzuela
    MF Artur
    MF Nagbe*
    AM Zelarayan (DP)
    RW Santos (DP)
    LW Molino
    FW Zardes* (DP)​

Season Outlook: Columbus looks like it’s back on top, and they will be a hard team to knock off - especially with some youth reinforcements.

Americans to Watch:
    • Gyasi Zardes (FW) - Love him or hate him, he’s still one of the best American center forwards in the league.
    • Aiden Morris (CM) - Morris filled the very large shoes of Darlington Nagbe, and you have to believe he’s going to push for bigger things in 2021.
    • Sebastian Berhalter (CM) - You have to look out for the coach’s boy. He was good enough to keep an eye on him anyways.
    • Aboubacar Keita (CB) - It might be generous to say he’ll beat out Wormgoor, but I’m holding my breath in optimism.
    Other Americans: Josh Williams (CB), Evan Bush (GK), Matt Lampson (GK), Eric Dick (GK), Grant Lillard (CB)

Youth Watch: Isaiah Parente (MF)

DC UNITED
    Projected XI:
    GK Hamid*
    CB Pines*
    CB Brilliant
    CB Birnbaum *
    DM Canouse*
    RM Gressel
    LM Asad
    RW Arriola* (DP)
    LW Flores (DP)
    FW Kamara​

Season Outlook: I imagine DC will field a different XI than mine, but this is what I would do if I was them. A 3-1-3-3 where Canouse moves back to DM and Gressel and Arriola play on the right.

Americans to watch:
    • Paul Arriola (R/LM) - Arriola had a very unfortunate injury that hampered his 2020 season, but he seems on the rebound. If Morris goes abroad; he’ll be competing against Mueller to be the best American winger in the league.
    • Bill Hamid (GK) - Hamid’s career has stalled but because of every other American keeper’s career has stalled - if he has a good 2021, he should feel good about his role as a back up.
    • Donovan Pines (CB) - Pines had a good 2020, and it allowed him to earn a US (u-23) call up.
    • Russell Canouse (DM, RB) - The move to right back was a career killer for him. He should really try to push back to DM where he gained attention as a potential player for a US call-up.
    • Steve Birnbaum (CB) - It’s hard to believe he’s only 29.
    • Kevin Paredes (W/F) - Paredes is a very promising youngster who isn’t likely to start, but should get his chances.
    • Moses Nyeman (DM) - Similar to Paredes, Nyeman should get more minutes in 2021.
    • Griffin Yow (W/F) - I’m less high on Yow than Paredes and Nyeman but he still deserves an honorable mention.
    Other Americans: Adrien Perez (FW), Chris Odoi-Atsem (RB)

Youth Watch: Jacob Greene (LB)

INTER MIAMI
    Projected XI:
    GK McCarthy*
    CB Makoun
    CB Figal
    CB Gonzalez-Pirez
    DM Matuidi
    DM Chapman / Ulloa *
    RM Pellegrini (DP)
    AM Pizarro (DP)
    LM Morgan
    FW Caranza
    FW G. Higuain (DP)​

Season Outlook: Inter Miami surprised me in 2020, but I believe they benefited more from teams underperforming than them over performing. I don’t like this roster management. It’s disjointed and incoherent. Too strong in some places and too weak in others. Still, they have enough star power to probably get over the line into the playoffs.

Americans to watch:
    • Robbie Robinson (FW) - I expected bigger things out of Robinson in 2020, and I would be afraid that there’s too many forwards at Inter Miami for him to get a shot. But I think he could beat out Carranza.
    • Juan Agudelo (FW) - Like Robinson, I think he can compete for a spot in the starting XI. Unlike Robinson, Agudelo was decent in 2020 (not so decent that I think he should receive a US call-up). Honestly, one of Agudelo and Robinson need to go, and they need to pick up another DM.
    • Brek Shea (LB/LM) - Shea is always an interesting left back, but we know what we know.
    • Dylan Nealis (RB) -Nealis locked down a starting spot, but he needs to do more in 2021. He’s facing an uphill battle to get noticed, but keep an eye on him.
    • John McCarthy (GK) - Is he really read to start? It appears so.
    • Victor Ulloa (DM) - If Inter Miami go with a 352 - he’ll compete with Chapman for time. Nonetheless, Matuidi can’t be expected to play every minute either.
    Other Americans: N/A

Youth Watch: Felipe Valencia (AM), George Acosta (AM), Patrick Seagrist (LB), Drake Callendar (GK)

CF MONTREAL
    Projected XI:
    GK Diop
    RB Brault-Guillard
    CB Binks
    CB Yao
    LB Miller
    CM Piette
    CM Wanyama (DP)
    AM Mihailovic *
    RW Toye *
    LW Quioto
    FW Urruti​

Season Outlook: Montreal looks like a whipping boy for the season, but they will surprise at least a few teams this year.

Americans to watch:
    • Djordje Mihailovic (AM) - Mihailovic should feel good supported by Piette and Wanyama.
    • Mason Toye (FW) - Toye needs to have a better year than he did in 2020 because he become too soon ‘the forgotten man.’ It’s a shame. Because he’s still a skilled player.
    Other Americans: Amar Sejdic (DM)

Youth Watch: None

NASHVILLE SC
    Projected XI:
    GK Willis *
    RB Johnston
    CB Romney *
    CB Zimmerman *
    LB Lovitz *
    CM McCarty *
    CM Godoy
    AM Mukhtar (DP)
    RW Muyl *
    LW Leal (DP)
    FW Cadiz (DP)​

Season Outlook: Nashville has a really well structured team, and even though McCarty is getting older, I believe they’ll be better in 2021 than 2020. But goalkeeper is a weak spot for them. If you don’t want to watch them for that... watch them as one of the more American friendly clubs.

Americans to watch:
    • Walker Zimmerman (CB) - Strong candidate for MLS defender of the year and a huge leadership presence. Expect good things.
    • Jack Maher (CB/DM) - Maher could hardly get a sniff in 2020, but with Romney having his limitations and McCarty getting older - Maher should get more minutes.
    • Dax McCarty (MF) - McCarty has been Mr. MLS and we should still expect another good year from him. But he’ll need cover.
    • Dave Romney (CB) - Romney punched above his weight in 2020. We’ll see if he can keep that up in 2021.
    • Daniel Lovitz (LB) - Lovitz was the bastard child for US fans, but he was good for Nashville. I still wouldn’t call him for the national team, but he’s a good enough MLS left back.
    • Joe Willis (GK) - It says a lot about our goalkeeping pool when a young keeper can’t push someone like Willis aside.
    • Alex Muyl (RW) - Muyl is one of those easily forgotten guys but he’s a good squad guy in MLS. I expect more of the same in 2021.
    Other Americans: Taylor Washington (LB), Eric Miller (RB), Jalil Anibaba (CB), Ken Tribbett (CB), Matt LaGrassa (DM), Alan Winn (FW)

Youth Watch: Tanner Dieterich (MF), Derrick Jones (DM), Handwalla Bwana (W/F)

NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION
    Projected XI:
    GK Turner *
    RB Buchanan
    CB Kessler *
    CB Farrell *
    LB Jones *
    CM Polster *
    CM Kaptoum
    AM Bou (DP)
    RW Bunbury *
    LW Gil (DP)
    FW Buksa (DP)​

Season Outlook: New England should be considered title contenders in the East. They’re strong across the field and they have depth in every position.

Americans to watch:
    • Matt Turner (GK) - Arguably the best keeper in the league, and still young to get excited about. Of all the keepers, we should watch him the closest.
    • Henry Kessler (CB) - Kessler had a great year in 2020 and we should look to see how he builds off that season in 2021.
    • DeJuan Jones (LB) - We should watch any Olympic-aged left back starting for a title contender team.
    • Andrew Farrell (CB) - Can we believe he’s still only 28 years old? He didn’t turn out to be a USMNT player, but he’s good enough for MLS.
    • Brandon Bye (RB) - Bye has been a great fill-in defender. But I would bet that Buchanan beats him out this year.
    • Matt Polster (DM) - Polster isn’t USMNT quality but he’s certainly MLS quality.
    • Teal Bunbury (FW) - He’s now 30 years old, and his days of fans wanting to call him up are over, but he’s still a reliable MLS player.
    • Justin Rennicks (FW) - I was not the biggest fan of Rennicks, but if someone can get something out of average talent, it’s Bruce Arena.
    • Tommy McNamara (R/LW) - He’s probably surplus, but when he was on for Houston, he was a solid player that could pull some highlight reel plays every once and awhile.
    • Kekuta Manneh (R/LW) - Manneh is not a kid anymore, but speed kills
    • Kelyn Rowe (AM) - Versatile and crafty. Rowe has unfortunately struggled to make an impact in MLS.
    • Scott Caldwell (DM) - I was never that impressed with Caldwell but he knows how to get into the line-up and be a good squad guy.
    Other Americans: Seth Sinovic (LB), Collin Verfurth (CB), Jeff Caldwell (GK), Brad Knighton (GK), Earl Edwards (GK)

Youth Watch: Damien Rivera (AM), Isaac Angking (AM),

NEW YORK CITY FC
    Projected XI:
    GK Johnson*
    RB Tinnerholm
    CB Chanot
    CB Callens
    LB Thorarinsson
    CM Sands * (Parks *)
    CM Moralez (DP)
    AM Medina (DP)
    RW Tajouri-Shradi
    LW Jasson *
    FW Castellanos​

Season Outlook: there’s a massive hole at left back right now for NYCFC, and I am very unimpressed with their attack right now. Plus, the team looks like it’s old and needs to rebuild. I predict NYCFC will slip this year, and they’ll miss the playoffs.

Americans to watch:
    • Andres Jasson (LW) - I don’t know much about Jasson, but if he’s a good player, he should get a shot to start.
    • James Sands (DM) - it’s too bad that he got hurt. He’s arguably the best #6 American midfielder and would have been a strong contender for the Olympics. We need him to get healthy and pick up his play.
    • Keaton Parks (MF) - Parks has yet to be a dominant force in MLS even though he’s been one of the most hyped. He’s a good player but we need him to be a regular starter.
    • Sean Johnson (GK) - Personally, I rate him below Turner and Hamid for the back up role, but he’s still a contender.
    • Justin Haak (DM) - With Sands’ injury problems, there’s an opening for Haak to make a name for himself.
    • Tayvon Gray (CB) - I doubt he’ll be a starter this year, but I am interested if he can work his way up to be the first back up center back.
    • Juan Torres (MF) - Still only 21 years old and with a lot of experience, it’ll be interesting to see if he can breakthrough as a MLS regular.
    • Gideon Zelalem (MF) - He’s not that old, and he has to be over his ACL problems by now. We’ll see what he can do.
    Other Americans: Sebastian Ibeagha (CB), Luis Barraza (GK)

Youth Watch: (all listed)

NEW YORK RED BULLS
    Projected XI:
    GK Meara *
    RB Duncan *
    CB Long *
    CB Parker *
    LB Pendant
    CM Davis *
    CM Yearwood (DP) (Casseres)
    AM Kaku (DP)
    RW Clark *
    LW Royer
    FW White * / Barlow *​

Season Outlook: If NYRB had a center forward, and if they could sort out their problems with Kaku, they would have a very solid team. They still have the best center back duo, good depth, and some promising youngsters.

Americans to watch:
    • Caden Clark (AM) - the main man I’m watching from them this year. I’m hoping and praying that he has a Brenden Aaronson level year and gets a transfer overseas.
    • Cameron Harper (W/F) - I’m counting Cameron Harper (W/F) as already with the team, even though he hasn’t signed yet. I’m excited to see what he can
    • Ryan Meara (GK) - if he can’t beat out Jensen, he needs to request a transfer. He can certainly beat out a number of goalkeepers across the league.
    • Tim Parker (CB) - If he’s not starting, I would push for a transfer. He would be the best defender for most clubs.
    • John Tolkien (LB) - he won’t walk into a starting spot, but he should be able to beat out Pendant.
    • Sean Davis (CM) - he’s a long ways away from the senior team, but he’s still one of the best and most underrated American mids in the league.
    • Omir Fernandez (FW) - Center forward is still wide open for NYRB. I don’t think he’s that guy. But keep an eye out.
    • Brian White (FW) - There are so many American forwards that I wish would get a shot... I’m surprised that White has had such an opportunity. If I’m NYRB, I’m pushing for a trade with Inter Miami for Robinson or Agudelo, or with Portland for Ebobisse.
    • Tom Barlow (FW) - I actually like Barlow better than White. He’s a bigger, stronger presence. But I doubt his ability as MLS title contender starting CF.
    Other Americans: (all listed)

Youth Watch: Sean Nealis (CB), John Tolkin (LB)

ORLANDO CITY SC
    Projected XI:
    GK Gallese
    RB Ruan
    CB Antonio Carlos
    CB Jansson
    LB Moutinho / Smith*
    DM Perea *
    DM Mendez
    AM Pereyra (DP)
    RW Mueller *
    LW Nani (DP)
    FW Dike *​

Season Outlook: Orlando looks great on offense, and horrible on defense. I don’t get how teams get so lopsided like this. If I’m Orlando, I’m dropping Dwyer who can never stay healthy, and trade for a left back and a center back. If they can’t sort that out - they won’t be as good as they could be. Nonetheless, they look to be better in 2021 than 2020 (if they can fix their defense problems).

Americans to watch:
    • Daryl Dike (FW) - We really need Dike to step it up this year. And he has every ability to do so. I would love to have our version of Romelu Lukaku.
    • Andres Perea (DM) - We really want Perea to step it up and be more consistent and step up his game in 2021. He’s one to keep a close eye on.
    • Chris Mueller (RW) - Mueller had a breakout year in 2020 and pushed himself into the big boy conversation. The question is can he step it up.
    • Benji Michel (R/LW) - If Mueller steps it up, he could get a good transfer, and that should open up a spot for a promising Michel.
    Other Americans: Alex John (CB), Kyle Smith (RB), Brian Rowe (GK), Dom Dwyer (FW)

Youth Watch: Mason Stajduhar (GK), Michael Halliday (RB), Jordan Bender (CM), David Loera (FW)

PHILADELPHIA UNION
    Projected XI:
    GK Blake
    RB Gaddis *
    CB Elliott
    CB Glesnes
    LB Wagner
    DM Oravec
    MF Bedoya *
    MF Monteiro
    AM Fontana *
    FW Santos
    FW Przybylko​

Season Outlook: They have a major hole to fill with the departure of Brenden Aaronson - who was (in my opinion) the best American in MLS last year. Also, they lost the heart of their defense - Mark McKenzie. And, Alejandro Bedoya is not getting younger. But the good thing for Philadelphia is that they have become the FC Dallas of the East, and they are turning out talent like it’s fun to do. Expect to see a lot of young Americans earning appearances this season. That said, I think it’s a mountain to tall for them to climb. They’ll fall a little bit this season, but will reclaim their position in the years to come.

Americans to watch:
    • Anthony Fontana (AM) - He has to replace Aaronson. That’s big shoes to fill. But Fontana is an exciting prospect in his own right.
    • Paxten Aaronson (AM) - I’m excited to see all of Philadelphia new homegrown players, but I’m most excited to see what the brother can do.
    • Alejandro Bedoya (MF) - He’s been a tank for Philadelphia in the past years, but he’s getting old. It can’t last forever. I want to see him take on a bigger leadership role with the new HGPs.
    • Raymon Gaddis (RB) - I don’t think Gaddis finished the season as the starting right back, but he’s been serviceable.

Youth Watch: Brandan Craig (CB), Quinn Sullivan (AM), Jack McGlynn (CM), Cole Turner (DM), Nathan Harriel (RB), Matt Freese (GK), Jack DeVries (RW, FW)

TORONTO FC
    Projected XI:
    GK Westberg *
    RB Auro
    CB Gonzalez *
    CB Mavinga
    LB Laryea
    DM Osorio
    RM Shaffelburg
    LM Nelson
    AM Pozuelo (DP)
    FW Akinola
    FW Altidore * (DP)​

Season Outlook: I don’t know how Toronto did as well as they did in 2020, but I expect the ass to fall out in 2021. Bradley and Altidore are on their last breath. And even their squad guys are mostly over it too. What they need to count on is what their young Canadians can do.

Americans to watch:
    • Jozy Altidore (FW) - Can he stay healthy and in form? I guess we’ll see.
    • Ayo Akinola (FW) - USA or Canada? It looks like Canada, but until that’s final, he’s the promising US prospect for Toronto.
    • Quentin Westberg (GK) - he’s likely to never get in the US picture, but he’s a good MLS keeper.
    • Marky Delgado (DM) - It’s too bad that he’s been hurt, but he’ll be a squad guy that Toronto will need to count on.
    • Michael Bradley (DM) - I’m going with this is when Bradley is no longer counted on as a regular starter. He’s just so slow and immobile now that I don’t see how they can count on him.
    • Omar Gonzalez (CB) - How many more miles does he have left? Likely, he’ll still be a good defender in the league.
    • Nick DeLeon (W/F)- He’s reaching his final years, but he’s not ancient either. And he’s always been able to have hot streaks from time to time. Still, I’m betting that Toronto favors Nelson this year.
    • Justin Morrow (LB) - he’s past it, but I doubt Toronto is going to drop him by 2021.
    • Eriq Zavaleta (CB) - with the aging defense, you have to think he’s going to get a good look this year. But he’s no spring chicken, and he’s never showed anything.
    • Patrick Mullins (FW) - He’s past it. But Mullins is normally good once or twice a year to pull some magic out of his hat.
    • Alex Bono (GK) - He should push for a transfer, ASAP. He’s good enough to start and there are clubs that need him to start.

Youth Watch: Griffin Dorsey (RW), Kevin Silva (GK)

2021 MLS SEASON PREDICTION - EAST
    1. Columbus Crew
    2. New England Revolution
    3. Chicago Fire
    4. New York Red Bulls
    5. Atlanta United
    6. Orlando City SC
    7. DC United
    8. Philadelphia Union
    9. Nashville SC
    10. Inter Miami
    11. New York City FC
    12. Toronto FC
    13. FC Cincinnati
    14. CF Montreal

EXALIFTIN, gunnerfan7 and DirectK repped this.
  3. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS 2021 - Americans to Watch - West

AUSTIN FC
    Projected XI:
    GK Scott * / Tarbell *
    RB Lima *
    CB Cascante
    CB Besler * (Romana)
    LB Sweat *
    CM Ring
    RM Gallacher
    AM Segura
    AM Fagundez
    LM Redes
    FW Dominguez (DP)​

Season Outlook: Austin is going to get picked on this year. Teams should really be running the score up on them, unless they get some help... all over the field.

Americans to Watch:
    • Brady Scott (GK) - Scott is the main player from Austin FC that I hope breaks out this year. He should be able to beat out Tarbell.
    • Nick Lima (R/LB) - I don’t know yet how much we’ll need to count on Lima, but Austin FC is going to be counting on him.
    • Matt Besler (CB) - Besler is done. But he should be someone that could bring leadership.
    • Ben Sweat (LB) - Sweat is a mediocre enough defender that he won’t stand out but he shouldn’t be the worst player on the field for them either.
    • Andrew Tarbell (GK) - He will likely start as the #1 goalkeeper.
    Other Americans: Jared Stroud (AM), Brad Stuver (GK), Hector Jimenez (DF)

Youth Watch: None

COLORADO RAPIDS
    Projected XI:
    GK Irwin *
    RB Rosenberry *
    CB Trusty *
    CB Abubakar
    LB Vines *
    DM Acosta *
    MF Price
    AM Bassett *
    RW Namli (DP)
    LW Lewis * / Shinyashiki
    FW Rubio​

Season Outlook: Colorado has reason to be optimistic this year, but I don’t know if Rubio is the guy to get them over the line for a supporters shield or MLS Cup. A lot will depend on their young players stepping up. And a big year from Cole Bassett - he must be this year’s Brenden Aaronson. That said, Colorado is a team to watch this year as they have a lot of promising young Americans.

Americans to Watch:
    • Cole Bassett (AM) - It’s time to perform. He is one the hottest prospects for us to watch this year.
    • Sam Vines (LB) - Like Bello, we need Vines to really take his game to the next level. We’re desperate for quality left backs.
    • Kelyn Acosta (MF, FB) - Acosta needs more consistency and he needs to lead this team.
    • Jonathan Lewis (L/RW) - It’s time that Lewis went from super sub to 90 min threat.
    • Auston Trusty (CB) - I don’t know how he fell off a cliff, but Colorado will need him to rediscover his form a few years ago at the Union.
    • Keegan Rosenberry (RB) - I don’t know if he’ll ever get to the “Cap him now” camp, but he’s still a very solid MLS Defender.
    • Clint Irwin (GK) - Irwin is a solid keeper. He won’t win them championships. But he won’t lose it for them either.
    Other Americans: Andre Rawls (GK), Collen Warner (DM), Kortne Ford (CB), Drew Moor (CB)

Youth Watch: Matt Hundley (W/F), Abraham Rodriguez (GK), Sebastian Anderson (RB/RW), Jeremy Kelly (RB), Will Vint (DM)

FC DALLAS
    Projected XI:
    GK Maurer *
    RB Hollingshead* (Reynolds transfer)
    CB Hedges*
    CB Martinez
    LB Nelson*
    MF Acosta (DP)
    MF Tessman*
    MF Ricaurte (Pomykal*)
    CF Ferreira *
    FW Jara (DP)
    FW Pepi *​

Season Outlook: FC Dallas should be feeling optimistic, and as usual, USMNT fans need to partially adopt Dallas because they’re doing all the heavy lifting for our player development. That said, there are some question marks. Jara is getting older and was never a top goal scorer. So, they’re counting on Pepi and Ferreira. Meanwhile, Pomykal is never healthy. With Reynolds departing - what’s their fullback situation going to look like. And goalkeeper is a question mark. Still, they’re in good position.

Americans to Watch:
    • Ricardo Pepi (FW) - It’s the year of Ricardo. He should be primed for a big year with a lot of playing time, and he had the skill to be a big factor.
    • Jesus Ferreira (CF) - I was disappointed with Ferreira in 2020, but I believe we can still expect big things in 2021.
    • Tanner Tessman (DM) - Tessman was a raw but talented prospect in 2020. It’s still early, but I want to see him show signs of polishing his game and making noise to transfer abroad next winter.
    • John Nelson (LB) - Hopefully Nelson can step up his game the way that Reynolds and Cannon did - only on the left side. That seems like a tall task. But I’ll be watching him.
    • Ryan Hollingshead (R/LB) - With Reynolds transferring and Nelson stepping up, the versatile Hollingshead might have to move to right back.
    • Paxton Pomykal (CM) - can he stay healthy? Apparently not. Damn shame too. He really is like Stu Holden...
    • Thomas Roberts (CM) - Dallas fans seem high on Roberts, so I’ll keep an eye out on him.
    • Edwin Cerrillo (DM) - in sort of a slump? I didn’t hear about him hardly at all in 2020.
    • Brandon Servania (CM) - has he jumped ship? Maybe so. Either way, he had a poor year and Tessman is clearly better.
    • Matt Hedges (CB) - He’s been around forever and he’s no spring chicken, but for MLS, he’s still in his prime years.
    • Justin Che (CB) - I doubt he’ll see the light of day, but he’s held in high regard with Dallas fans, and that’s saying something.
    • Dante Sealy (W/F) - Another Dallas player who is not a likely starter but fans seem to be high on as a prospect. I’ll watch him for that.
    Other Americans: Kyle Zobeck (GK)

Youth Watch: Nkosi Burgess (CB), Eddie Munjoma (RB), Kalil El-Medkhar (W/F)

HOUSTON DYNAMO
    Projected XI:
    GK Maric
    RB Valentin *
    CB Fuenmayor
    CB Cabrera
    LB Lundqvist
    CM Hoffman *
    CM Corona *
    AM Quintero
    RW Picault *
    LW Memo *
    FW Ramirez *​

Season Outlook: Houston needs to shake things up, and they need to start with adding a couple center backs. And if I’m not mistaken, they have no DP’s? Has their management just given up? Whatever it is - I have Houston has bottom dwellers. But, they could upset a top dog in the race. The silver lining is the hope that one of these youth players is worth a damn.

Americans to Watch:
    • Memo Rodriguez (L/RM) - Memo has been the best American player for Houston. And that’s saying something because he still has a ways to go for consideration of the US.
    • Christian Ramirez (FW) - If Ramirez could rediscover some of his old form that made him a USMNT prospect, Dynamo would be in a lot better position.
    • Fafa Picault (R/LW) - You can’t teach speed, and even though he’s getting older, Fafa should help Houston out.
    • Joe Corona (MF) - Corona was probably a huge bonus for Houston. I don’t think he’s going to put himself in USMNT contention, but he’s a solid player.
    • Ian Hoffman (DM) - I don’t know much about him, except Houston really needs some help and I hope Tab can breathe some life into Houston’ s youth.
    • Zarek Valentin (R/LB) - I guess he’s a Puerto Rico player now. A good MLS player - who is not international level.
    Other Americans: Sam Junqua (LB), Michael Nelson (GK)

Youth Watch: Erik McCue (CB), Nico Lemoine (RM), Marcelo Palomino (AM), Daniel Rios (AM), Juan Castilla (AM)

LA GALAXY
    Projected XI:
    GK Bingham *
    RB Araujo *
    CB Steres *
    CB DePuy*
    LB Villafana *
    CM Kitchen *
    CM Jonathan (DP)
    AM Lletget *
    RW Dunbar *
    LW Alvarez *
    FW Chicharito (DP)​

Season Outlook: I don’t know what the hell this is, but this is one depressing Galaxy team. Outside of Lletget, Araujo, and Jonathan Dos Santos, I’m thinking, “yeah, sure, I guess you can start.” It feels like the Galaxy management has given up and there is not much to be excited with the Galaxy anymore. This is a USL team outside of 3-5 players, at best. But it does seem to have a decent number of Americans playing for them.

Americans to Watch:
    • Julian Araujo (RB) - He might transfer, but until then, he’s the right back to watch in MLS.
    • Seb Lletget (AM) - It’s a shame that Chicharito was such a bust, because Lletget (now that Aaronson is out) arguably the best American attacking kid in the league.
    • Efrain Alvarez (M/F) - Personally, I don’t get the hype. But he’s got a pulse and that makes him someone to watch. Besides, we’ll be waiting to see who he picks now between US and Mexico.
    • David Bingham (GK) - Mr. inconsistency is a good MLS keeper but his shakiness is what prevents him from bigger, better things.
    • Perry Kitchen (DM) - When Kitchen was a 19 year old, tearing it up for DC United, I thought he would be a lot better than he is now. But he’s an alright MLS player.
    • Ethan Zubak (FW) - He’s Olympic eligible, and he starts - since Chicharito isn’t good enough to do that anymore, so he’s got that going for him.
    • Cameron Dunbar (W/F) - Galaxy better put a lot of hope and prayers into this kid.
    • Jorge Villafana (LB) - Still a reliable MLS defender? We’ll see in 2021.
    • Nick DePuy (CB) - I can’t believe I put him on a starting XI.
    • Kai Koreniuk (W/F) - He’s Olympic eligible, and he has scored. So that makes him partially interesting.
    • Daniel Steres (CB) - he captains this bunch of misfits, so you may as well watch him.
    Other Americans: Sacha Kljestan (AM)

Youth Watch: Emil Cuello (AM), Jonathan Perez (W/F), Danilo Acosta (LB), Jonathan Klinsmann (GK), Justin Vom Steeg (GK), Eric Lopez (GK)

LOS ANGELES FC
    Projected XI:
    GK Vermeer (even though I think Sisniega is better)
    RB Moon
    CB Blackmon *
    CB Segura
    LB Farfan * (or Palacios)
    MF Cifuentes / Atuesta / Ginella
    MF Kaye
    AM Blessing
    RW Vela (DP)
    LW Rossi (DP)
    FW Rodriguez (DP)​

Season Outlook: LAFC are clear favorites. They need to add a center back. But they’re covered - head to toe. It’s just weird comparing the Galaxy to LAFC.

Americans to Watch:
    • Marco Farfan (LB) - I don’t know if he can beat out Palacios, but we really need him to do so.
    • Tristan Blackmon (RB, CB) - I think he’s playing out of position as a CB, but he’s impressed enough so far to get into a January Camp.
    • Danny Musovski (FW) - I doubt he’s the next great thing, but if you’re a forward and you can get on the field with these talented players around you, it should be a sin to not score.
    • Corey Baird (W/F) - I had not even realized he transferred. I imagine he’ll only see the field for coverage, but that’s pretty good coverage to have.
    Other Americans: Alejandro Guido (AM)

Youth Watch: Antonio Leone (CB), Christian Torres (FW), Erik Duenas (RB), Bryce Duke (MF)

MINNESOTA UNITED
    Projected XI:
    GK St. Clair
    RB Metanire
    CB Dibassy
    CB Opara * (Boxall)
    LB Gasper *
    CM Trapp* (Dotson*)
    CM Gregus (DP)
    AM Reynoso (DP)
    RW Finlay *
    LW Chacon (DP)
    FW Lod​

Season Outlook: Are they aware they don’t have a forward? Also, why did they spend DP money on Chacon? That seems like someone who you might try to buy down. Besides these things, Minnesota looks pretty good paper - just hope for them that Opara is okay. Oh, and they need to work on their youth development.

Americans to Watch:
    • Chase Gasper (LB) - Gasper is the player for Minnesota that I’m the most interested in watching. We are desperate for left backs, and he’s arguably the best American left back in the league.
    • Wil Trapp (DM) - From Miami beaches to Minnesota has to be a huge adjustment. He never found his footing in Miami, but on paper, it looks like he should have stayed. They need a DM there, and not in Minnesota. I would not be shocked to see him struggle to be a regular starter.
    • Hassani Dotson (MF, RB) - It’s weird to think there’s a league where he’s on the bench, and around the league the amount of players who are clearly less than him are starting. Nonetheless, he’ll be one of the first off the bench players for Minnesota.
    • Ethan Finlay (RW) - he’s been around forever, but old reliable looks to have another reliable year for Minnesota.
    • Ike Opara (CB) - He needs to get healthy and stay healthy for Minnesota to be the team they can be.
    • Trey Miller (GK) - He has yet to re-enter the USMNT conversation, but he’s become a good MLS goalkeeper. That said, he’s been hurt, so he’s going to have to reclaim his spot from St. Clair or he’s going to have to transfer. He might want to push for a move.
    Other Americans: Foster Langsdorf (FW), Adrien Zendejas (GK),

Youth Watch: none

PORTLAND TIMBERS
    Projected XI:
    GK Clark *
    RB Bonilla
    CB Mabiala
    CB Zuparic
    LB Bravo
    CM D. Chara
    CM Williamson *
    AM Valeri
    RW Blanco (DP) / Polo
    LW Y. Chara (DP)
    FW Ebobisse* / Niezgoda - (DP)​

Season Outlook: Timbers look like they’ll be competitive this season, but I don’t think they have enough to get them to the title. Their defense seems suspect. Diego Chara and Diego Valeri are getting old. And they have neglected youth development.

Americans to Watch:
    • Jeremey Ebobisse (FW) - I get that you have to have a quality striker in MLS to be a title contender; but if I was Ebobisse, there are a number of clubs I’d push to move to if Portland kept going out and buying forwards. Either way, we really need Ebobisse to be a 10+ goal scorer - anything less would be a disappointment.
    • Eryk Williamson (MF) - Williamson finally found himself getting regular starting time in MLS. We hope he can build on that performance in 2021.
    • Steve Clark (GK) - Clark is a quality keeper in MLS.
    • Jeff Attinella (GK) - Attinella is good enough to start in MLS. He might want to push for a move.
    Other Americans: (none)

Youth Watch: Hunter Sulte (GK), Zac McGraw (CB), Blake Bodily (W/F)

REAL SALT LAKE
    Projected XI:
    GK Ochoa *
    RB Herrera *
    CB Glad *
    CB Silva
    LB Toia *
    RM Ramirez (DP)
    CM Kreilach
    CM Rusnak (DP)
    LM Ruiz
    FW Rubin *
    FW Martinez​

Season Outlook: I’ll be honest. Things don’t look good for RSL. Their team is very disjointed. Old reliables are getting old and prime aged players aren’t that good. RSL really needs Glad and Rubin to redeem themselves, Ochoa to live up to his potential, and their academy players to step up. They have some talent coming up, but it’s probably too soon to expect much.

Americans to Watch:
    • David Ochoa (GK) - If Ochoa can’t grab the #1 spot, we might all have to conclude that he’s not as good as we hope and our goalkeeping situation is more desperate than we think. Besides, he’s 20 years old now. Still really young - but you want your best 20 year old keeper to be able to beat out Andrew Putna.
    • Aaron Herrera (R/LB) - Herrera isn’t the sexiest fullback but he’s reliable, versatile, and Olympic eligible.
    • Justen Glad (CB) - Glad was an extremely reliable young center back, but he’s been struggling lately. He probably needs a transfer and a new change of scenery. But he needs to step it up to land somewhere good.
    • Rubio Rubin (FW) - since FC Utrecht years ago, Rubin has fallen off a cliff. I don’t know what he can do anymore, but he once was one of our most promising and can’t miss prospects.
    • Donny Toia (LB) - He’s not international level, but we have to pay attention to any starting left back.
    • Nick Besler (CM) - Matt’s baby brother will be a rotational starter. He’s good enough for MLS but don’t expect him to reach his brothers potential.
    • Andrew Putna (GK) - If Ochoa can’t beat him out, Putna is set to be the starting keeper for RSL.
    • Zac MacMath (GK) - MacMath was once one of our most promising goalkeepers, but his career stalled. Still, there’s room for competition at RSL, and he could earn the starting spot.
    • Tate Schmitt (W/F) - He likely won’t be a regular starter, but he’ll probably be good enough to be an off the bench option. He’s Olympic eligible too.
    Other Americans: Andrew Brody (RB), Erik Holt (CB)

Youth Watch: Jeff Dewsnup (GK), Justin Portillo (DM), Bode Davis (LM), Luis Arriaga (AM), Julian Vazquez (W/F), Chris Garcia (W/F), Milan Iloski (FW)

SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES
    Projected XI:
    GK Marcinkowski *
    RB Akanyirige *
    CB Alanis
    CB Jungwirth
    LB Lopez
    MF Yuiell *
    MF Judson
    AM Thompson
    RW Espinoza (DP)
    LW Cowell *
    FW Fierro​

Season Outlook: There seems to be a lot of shuffling that San Jose needs to do this year, but they look like they have some promise and they have some promising youngsters.

Americans to Watch:
    • JT Marcinkowski (GK) - We have a lot counting on Marcinkowski. We need our only starting u23 keeper to be a consistent and reliable.
    • Jackson Yuiell (DM) - Yuiell might not be a world class midfielder anytime soon, but he’s a good MLS player and he’s been good when he’s played for the US. We want him to continue to grow as a player and dominate in the Olympics.
    • Cade Cowell (W/F) - It might be premature to call him up for January Camp, but we can make our bets that Cowell is going to be a very promising player for us and for San Jose.
    • Jacob Akanyirige (RB) - Akanyirige has been one of our most promising youth defenders, and we should expect him to start starting soon.
    • Tommy Thompson (AM, RB) - If Akanyirige starts, and there’s a hole in the midfield, Tommy moves back to midfield.
    • Chris Wondolowski (FW) - Although, he didn’t amount to much at the international level, he was an absolute legend for San Jose. We should want to him go out with style.
    Other Americans: Shea Salinas (LB, LM)

Youth Watch: Eric Calvillo (MF), Gilbert Fuentes (AM), Jack Skahan (MF), Casey Walls (CB), Tanner Beason (CB), Emmanuel Ochoa (GK)

SEATTLE SOUNDERS
    Projected XI:
    GK Frei *
    RB Leerdam
    CB Gomez Andrade
    CB Arreaga / O’Neill *
    LB Tolo
    CM C. Roldan *
    CM Leyva * / Svensson / A. Roldan * / Atencio *
    AM Lodeiro (DP)
    RW Ibarra * / Dobbelaere *
    LW Jones
    FW Ruidiaz (DP)​

Note: I’m betting Jordan Morris transfers, so I didn’t include him.

Season Outlook: If Jordan Morris leaves and they don’t get Joao Paulo back, there’ll be big shoes for Seattle to fill. Plus, Seattle might want to start shopping around because Ruidiaz and Lodeiro are now both over 30. Regardless, Seattle will still be competitive, but I would bet it’s not going to be their best year.

Americans to Watch:
    • Cristian Roldan (CM) - Roldan is going to have to go from squad player to key player this year.
    • Danny Leyva (CM) - Entering his third year and with a potential opening in the XI, Leyva needs to break out.
    • Miguel Ibarra (R/LM) - If Morris leaves, someone has to take his spot. Ibarra will be one of the first ones to get first crack.
    • Ethan Dobbelaere (RM) - Dobbelaere has a long ways to go, but if he could step his game up, there’s an opening in the XI that he could take advantage of.
    • Alex Roldan (MF, RB) - Cristian’s younger brother equipped himself well, and looks to stay in the rotation, at the least.
    • Will Bruin (FW) - He’s still Ruidiaz primary back-up, but AOC could push him out. If that’s the case, Bruin would be a welcome back up for a lot of teams.
    • Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez (FW) - AOC was anonymous last year. He’s still very young, but he needs to show he can play.
    • Josh Atencio (DM/CB) - Atencio doesn’t have the hype of Leyva, but he’s still shown to be a promising midfielder/defender. If he’s ready, he should get a shot this year.
    • Shane O’Neil (CB) - O’Neill was solid for Seattle towards the end of the season. He’s still not the player that he was once hyped to become, but I believe he would start for many MLS teams if not Seattle.
    • Steffen Frei (GK) - 2021 will still be Frei’s year.
    Other Americans: Stefan Cleveland (GK)

Youth Watch: Shandon Hopeau (W/F), Trey Muse (GK)

SPORTING KANSAS CITY
    Projected XI:
    GK Melia *
    RB Lindsey *
    CB Puncec
    CB Smith *
    LB Martins
    CM Ilie
    CM Busio *
    AM Kinda (DP)
    RW Russell (DP)
    LW Salloi
    FW Pulido (DP)​

Season Outlook: SKC will be competitive but there’s a lot of holes in their line-up Specifically around their defense.

Americans to Watch:
    • Gianluca Busio (MF) - This team is the Busio show, and it’s time he embraces that role. This should be the year that Busio tries really hard to pad his resume and book a move overseas.
    • Jaylin Lindsey (R/LB) - Lindsey had a solid 2020, but he has to be bigger in 2021 - at left back or right back
    • Amadou Dia (LB) - Dia could push for a starting spot for SKC, and we should keep an eye on any starting left back... even if he’s far away from the national team.
    • Tim Melia (GK) - SKC need to start scouting their next keeper because Melia isn’t getting younger, but he should be alright for 2021.
    • Graham Smith (CB) - Because of a lack of better center back options, Smith should get a shot this year.
    • Graham Zusi (RB, RW) - I don’t know how much he has left, but this might be it.
    • Khiry Shelton (FW) - Shelton is set to be a rotational starter for SKC.
    Other Americans: Kendall McIntosh (GK),

Youth Watch: John Pulskamp (GK), Cameron Duke (RB), Felipe Hernandez (DM), Tyler Freeman (W/F), Wilson Harris (FW)

VANCOUVER WHITECAPS
    Projected XI:
    GK Crepeau / Hasal / Meredith*
    RB Nerwinski *
    CB Veselinovic
    CB Godoy
    LB Gutierrez
    RM Dajome
    CM Teibert
    CM Bikel
    LM Adnan (DP)
    FW Cavallini
    FW Montero​

Season Outlook: Vancouver look to repeat where they are every year... good enough to upset some teams, not good enough to contend for a title. For Americans, it’s still all on Nerwinski.

Americans to Watch:
    • Jake Nerwinski (RB) - Nerwinski is a very underrated MLS defender, but he has a long way to go to ever be in contention for a US call up.
    Other Americans: Bryan Meredith (GK)

Youth Watch: none

2021 MLS SEASON PREDICTION- WEST
    1. Los Angeles FC
    2. FC Dallas
    3. Colorado Rapids
    4. Sporting Kansas City
    5. Minnesota United
    6. Seattle Sounders
    7. Portland Timbers
    8. San Jose Earthquakes
    9. Vancouver Whitecaps
    10. LA Galaxy
    11. Houston Dynamo
    12. Real Salt Lake
    13. Austin FC

4. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    phenomenal list, great work there.

Saw that Bobby Wood just moved to RSL, that actually could be a situation to watch there.

Additionally, Tim Parker just got shipped to Houston. Would be nice to get him back in the USMNT picture, I have always thought highly of him and thought he should absolutely be a regular in the discussion. Kinda this cycle's Jimmy Conrad.

From my San Jose insight, Casey Walls is going to be the guy to watch this year in the youth ranks. Some rank him just as highly as Cade as a prospect, so I want to see what we got there. Also curious to see a second year of Beason, who really came along the second half of the season. Finally, there shouldnt be any teams in MLS really depending on draft picks, but San Jose's lone......loan re-enforcement is a guy who cant get a sniff in Liga MX because of sexual harrassment/assault allegations (Chifos). Almeyda threw him a career lifeline.......greaaaattt......

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its more and more so irrelevant than it ever was, and this year how do you evaluate a player. Dike is more the exception and not the rule now. Look at Siad Haji, second overall just a few years ago, can barely get a whiff of PT. Fatai Alashe is barely clinging on to the league, also second overall. But Tanner Beason, 12th overall last year, got a good amount of minutes for the quakes. so who knows. Seems like 2-3 of these guys every year eventually become something. It would be more relevant to hold the superdraft in the USL now. Would do them a lot more good.

RalleeMonkey and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  7. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I think it’s a waste that could be used to really help stabilize USL as they also begin to work on their academy and reserve teams. Plus, I would like to see MLS teams start spending money on some of these players who prove their worth in the lower leagues. For example, I could see someone like left back Aedan Stanley (one of the few players I’ve heard of) signing with the USL, playing for a Championship team for a year or two, and get bought for say $500k. Stanley would get a little bit of cut of that money and the USL club could invest that transfer money into their operational costs.

8. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    CB seems to be a good place to go in the superdraft. The extra years and playing time seem to yield a lot more quality players quickly.

But there's a few people in the superdraft every year. I'd focus on the number of quality players that come out.

the top 6 seem like pretty good picks.

OWN(yewu)ED and IndividualEleven repped this.
  9. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Isn't the record USL to MLS transfer $200k?

And the average USL salary is well below the MLS minimum (~$30k v $65k) and it's at a overall level where that money is a massive difference in quality of life.

I'm not sure the economics work all that well here.

10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I expect DC to make a big move. They were much improved after the belated coaching change.

11. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    They also had a massive amount of injuries on the year.

I don't think that helps the young kids, though.

12. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think DC dodged a bullet with Ozil though.

Winoman, gogorath and IndividualEleven repped this.
  13. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
  14. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    OC needs a LB not a CB.

15. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said they need a left back and a center back. And on the draft, out of last year’s top ten picks, only 3 become regulars in MLS... and the first two had pitiful seasons. That has been the trend when it comes to the draft. That pretty much defines - hit or miss.

16. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well some of the kids in the draft get pretty good situations that fell into their laps. Teams that sincerely needed players at those positions were picked (shocking, i know). Meanwhile, San Jose picked a forward who scored 3 goals in 27 games, two of which were PKs. Probably would have went undrafted for literally any other team. Par for the course.

Chesco United and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  17. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    We’ve been hitting a lot more than missing in the draft. I didn’t even list some of the marginal players we’ve drafted that have contributed over the years.
    Our CBs were the best we’ve ever had, and is not a place of need. Also Dom’s Contact has expired and we didn’t renew. So we have a DP opening and the FO is talking about bringing in a winger. I think we need some cover at ACM.

18. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Unbelievable. You should be paid for this.

19. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks!

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  20. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Robbie Robinson wants to play for Chile. His mother is Chilean.

21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought this was interesting...

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    ................a 22 year old forward with zero professional goals.

Yeah, sounds perfect for Chile.

23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would also like to play for Chile. I'm not Chilean. Never even been there. Just think it would be cool to play for a national team and maybe make a World Cup.

Chesco United, Magikfute and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The clubs that really put in the effort into the draft, can get some contributors out of it. But with so many academy signings these days, some clubs don't have roster slots available anyway. Philly, FCD, SKC are in this position. Philly traded away a bunch of their picks. I've been advocating for FCD to do the same. FCD is drafting for their USL team.....................

[Just a note, folks should look at Oscar Pareja's record with drafted players in Colorado and Dallas. No surprise that he went into Orlando and is having an impact with them. He has his staff do the homework, and then he gives the players a chance.]

For those of us that have been MLS fans for a long time, that draft brings back nostalgia. We remember the days 20 years ago when we did significant analysis on the players available. We'd analyze which teams should select which players, etc. We knew many of the top 25 players available. So in 2003 we could have a really lively discussion about whether DCU should select Ricardo Clark, Alecko Eskandarian, Mike Magee, Eddie Gaven, Arturo Alvarez, Logan Pause, Jake Jewsbury, Diego Walsh, Nate Jaqua, Memo Gonzalez, Pat Noonan, Brian Carroll, Damani Ralph, Todd Dunivant, etc. etc. It was fun to have the debate, and then follow all of the players as they entered the league.

Nowadays nobody had heard of Dani Perreira when he signed a GenAd deal. Then he went #1 overall. Nobody knew if he was American, what position he played, or what school he went to.

RalleeMonkey and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  25. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw the headline yesterday or the day before that USL is close to coming to terms with the players' union on their first CBA, so salaries might take a decent jump. But I know nothing of the details, so I could be entirely mistaken.

gogorath repped this.