MLS Flavors of the Week: 2020 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by IndividualEleven, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there used to be a rule that if a player was out for the year a replacement could be chosen. Not sure if it's still around but if so Atlanta will have to show Martinez on basically the disabled list for the year (meaning can't come back for playoffs etc).

2. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    You're the man!

3. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    From the all touches vid he reminds me a bit of Geoff Cameron with the tough in tackles sticking in a long leg sort of thing going on, with the mobility.

gogorath and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  4. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    From the all touches vid he reminds me a bit of Geoff Cameron with the tough in tackles sticking in a long leg sort of thing going on, with the mobility.

5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    My sense is he uses his tackle football moves on the soccer pitch.

6. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe so. Looks good to me! Between the body fakes and the jumping, I can definitely see the wide receiver that the Clemson coach said he could have been.

7. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, but the real thanks goes to @thedukeofsoccer, who was the original poster of the video (in the MLS youth breakout thread--worth following).

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  8. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And hops, and better foot skills and body fakes.

9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Reggie Cannon signed a new deal with FCD. Kinda surprising, as it looked like he would forge a path in a top-5. Back in the day, players would run down their contracts then leave or refuse to sign an extension to force MLS to sell. Nowadays, MLS seems to have found that sweet spot: $400-$800k seems enough to keep a senior team US player. Wonder would Adams have gone, if RBNY weren't RBL's feeder club.

largegarlic repped this.
  10. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Let's see if he still leaves to move up the ladder.

It would be bad for the USMNT if the best Americans in MLS stayed there for their entire career instead of pushing themselves to a higher level. At the very least, I hope they can emulate Landon and get loaned to a higher level during MLS' off-season. Thinking in particular about Morris, who is continuing his excellent run from the end of last season apparently.

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    For me, whether a player needs to leave is something that is best looked at on a case-by-case basis. I'd thought Cannon looked jaded last season. He looked ready to leave: MLS wasn't doing anything for him or his game. He had an excellent game this past weekend, though, to start the new season. Looked a leader out there. Plus, he's married now. So maybe he can settle in and continue to improve.

Some MLS teams are horrible at improving players. Some don't give young American players much of a chance. Other teams are or do the opposite.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nothing really changes here. Reggie was under contract with FCD for this year and they still had an option for next year. Reggie can still be sold to Europe at any time should a reasonable offer come in.

In fact, Buzz's column on this provides some context in this regard.

Pegasus and IndividualEleven repped this.
  13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Cannon signed an extension, so that changes the dynamics.

Was FCD going to bench Reggie, if he didn't sign a new deal--do him like DC did Hamid?

I'd like to see players get buyout clauses on their extensions to eliminate some of the potential ridiculousness MLS clubs can engage in.

14. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    The other downside is that players staying block another American from moving up. Most MLS teams have the bare minimum of required # of American players. When one leaves, that opens a spot for another.

Aside from that, though, MLS is improving. And, with stupidf#ck Nations League + SUM making money everytime concacaf team plays a friendly in the U.S., a super large % of our matches will be in the U.S.

Finally, and this is not really likely to be a thing …. Dallas has become something of a NT pipeline for us. It can't hurt to have a core of players on the same MLS team. By my count, Cannon, Pomy, Ferreira, Servania, the other Dmid, and this new kid - Tanner T, are all in the mix. I may have left someone out. That kind of familiarity can pay huge dividends. I think of Sanneh sending in a cross to McB in the WC and them talking about having played together on some pre-MLS U.S. "pro" team.

15. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    All the talk around the deal is that he will be sold sooner rather than later. But, its never happened before, so I will be skeptical.

Glad Reggie is not playing for $80k.

IndividualEleven and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  16. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But there is no evidence to support the idea that Araujo didn't start 1 game because of "financial incentives" or "personal biases", so why trump-up those narratives to begin with? Even after I told you that, if anything, there is an financial incentive to play Araujo, as the Galaxy org has invested a lot more in him than Feltscher.

There are rational, observable reasons for Araujo not starting 1 game; choosing instead to invent narratives to explain it is the definition of conspiratorial thinking.

Nice story. Again, what do you think any of that has to do with Araujo?

17. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tristan Blackmon is the guy I’m seeing as USMNT timber. He’s playing a marauding right back for BB right now but also slides to CB at times.

The last couple of games he’s been almost a midfielder in attack from RB. I don’t know about the D yet but I plan to watch and see.

He’s big, fast and good on the ball, and an aggressive passer.

Patrick167, largegarlic and USSoccerNova repped this.
  18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #143 IndividualEleven, Mar 5, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    Last season, which he had started as a 17-year-old, Araujo played over 1000 minutes for the Galaxy's senior team. That's quality time for a player his age. Another season of ~1000 minutes would be perfectly reasonable, especially if he also were to get time with the U23s or the senior NT.

In the current B2 season, only 7 currently U19 players have gotten time in the league. Only 1 has played over 200 league minutes. Only 2 such players have 500 minutes in the current C'ship. One is the 16 y/o Bellingham, who secured that big transfer to Dortmund.

Perspective. Most teams are looking to avoid bringing along young players too quickly.

majspike, jaykoz3 and USSoccerNova repped this.
  19. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Looked him up. A college guy. He's 23.

I don't know why, but I like the idea of college soccer continuing to provide a path to the pro's. I guess because it's such a massive resource. There are over 200 colleges and university fielding D1 men's teams.

20. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interestingly Reyna should end up with more than that in the full Bundesliga. US players have changed from late bloomers to record setting early bloomers.

USSoccerNova and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  21. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m taking this as FCD is the Bayern, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Ajax of MLS!

22. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    That's kind of how I'd like to see it.

23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    7 current U19 players have made appearances in the B1. 2 have over 200 minutes. Reyna is currently on 115, so he is in rare air.

Pegasus repped this.
  24. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Based on 3rd Degree's reporting, Cannon's salary might not have even doubled.

While terms of the deal were not disclosed, right back is not a watershed position in MLS and thus doesn’t usually garner a large wage like Paxton Pomykal and Jesus Ferreira just signed. The deal is more likely to be near, or even below, the deal Ryan Hollingshead signed last year.

Hollingshead made $175K in 2019.

Let's hope the terms reported by 3rd Degree are erroneous, or there is an absolutely tiny release clause written in the contract; otherwise, this is an atrocious contract for Cannon.

RalleeMonkey and IndividualEleven repped this.
  25. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the insight. I hadn't bothered to look up Hollingshead's salary. I wonder if the contract isn't for x amount this year (say, $150K), with perhaps a substantial bump in year 2 (say, $250K-$350k) and smaller bumps for the years after that. That would seem reasonable enough to keep Cannon happy for this year, with the potential for extra happy in future years (if he doesn't get sold) and while also encouraging FCD to sell him on for a good profit. Of course, this is all purely conjecture based on my own logic (for good or for bad).

schrutebuck repped this.