MLS Flavors of the Week: 2020 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by IndividualEleven, Feb 28, 2020.

1. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One reason Schelotto prefers Feltscher is he's a better crosser of the ball and generally better in the attack, even if you consider him a poorer defender. Galaxy fans are pretty underwhelmed with Feltscher, but most agree Araujo is not a lock-starter yet. Having a cheaper, younger, domestic option in that position is a plus for everyone. Araujo's being set up to make the position his; everyone knows it. The rest is up to him, but he's not anointed yet. That's my assessment, take it or leave it.

Does whatever you think the answer to the question is have something to do with Araujo's very specific situation?

mbar repped this.
  2. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Araujo is a decent offensive contributor. Makes solid passing decisions and can get to the end line w/ his speed. Feltscher's advantage is more the bonus of being good on set pieces.

It's not a plus being a cheap, young, domestic for Araujo if it means he's less likely to play relative to a vet who the club invested more capital in.

It speaks to the Galaxy's established tendency had before this, and Araujo is one of the top prospects they've had, but are still dragging their feet.

3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    In a normal league, Atlanta would simply buy a Ebobisse or Toye. In the garber bucks world of MLS, there's much less incentive to transfer underpaid, under-contract assets.

RalleeMonkey and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  4. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think Araujo's a lock-starter. A lot of people, including his coach, don't. Reasonable people can disagree. Where we go away from analysis and into left field is when we invent conspiracies to support our opinion. Araujo is more valuable than Feltscher for all the reasons listed (he's cheap in terms of what he costs the team, not what he's worth to the team; the opposite of Feltscher). He'll get chances, probably as soon as the weekend.

The Galaxy's established tendency of...not making 18 y/os with less than a season of pro appearances a lock starter? Araujo has played more first team minutes than Mendez and Llanez, who are from the same class. Locking down a starting job is a good goal for Araujo this year. To do it, he'll have to be more consistently threatening in the attack and more consistent in his decision-making. He'll get the opportunities to show he's improved in those areas and he has to make the most of them.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The salary cap makes less and less sense.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  6. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Would say the problem is the combination of the garber bucks system, the lack of a real money-transfer system, and the poor free agency system.

Even in the hard-capped NFL, a young, excellent player has a better chance of advancing his career.

In MLS, someone like Gressel had to rattle the cage for 2 seasons. Then Atlanta, who were holding all the cards, had to be 'nice' about the situation to make the trade. In that situation, a team like the New England Revolution would've ignored Gressel.

8. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you want a league you dont care anything about to do your bidding. Gotcha. Since MLS isnt going to do so, will you take your own advice concerning your vote?

jaykoz3 repped this.
  9. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Of course, the salary cap is not intended to let Atlanta recover from an injury.

The salary cap does exactly as intended.

Atlanta actually has more than enough assets currently to go get a decent replacement, in and or out of MLS.

11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #111 Eleven Bravo, Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    They’re unnecessarily complicated...

-Set salary cap.
    -4 DP’s.
    -DP’s are 100% cap exempt players.
    -Domestic players receive 1/2 discount to salary cap.
    -u20 international players receive 1/2 discount to salary cap.
    -Other senior international players receive 1/4 discount to salary cap. (Player must have played 75% of games, etc.)
    -HGP are 100% cap exempt.
    -HGP are forever cap exempt.
    -Clubs can purchase other team’s HGP status.
    -10% bonus allowed every year for returning player with no salary hit.

Add: Teams that play at least ____ u23 HGP for at least ____ minutes during the season - Receive a salary cap increase for the next year.

12. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I mean, that's pretty similar in complexity to what they have now. It would also be a massive increase in spending, I think -- and it wouldn't necessarily create more flexibility in this situation.

The cap is about cost control. An added benefit is parity -- which is important, but one of the downfalls of prior leagues was the inability to draw in markets that couldn't compete.

I'm interested to see who Atlanta goes and gets. If they are confident in selling Barco by end of January, there's a lot they can actually do.

13. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I said: I only care about MLS to the extent it develops players for the NT.

For a lawyer, you sure are sloppy in your analysis. Or, maybe your mischaracterization of my statement was intentional?

You don't know that. I said that fans should vote with their eyes. If Atlanta isn't going to release players, fans should stop watching. Why shouldn't fans express their opinions in any way we see fit.

I'm only really going to try to watch Dallas. Their playing a lot of young Americans; developing a lot of young Americans. And, they've stated that they see part of their role as developing players for the NT.

Patrick167 repped this.
  14. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    You should watch Philly at some point as well; they also have that as a stated role. Not quite as much success, though. Aaronson needs to make the leap that Paxton may have; McKenzie looked really good against Dallas.

Atlanta fans aren't going to stop watching Atlanta because of this. Actually, if MLS boards are any indication, most of their fans agree with the decision. The level of vitriol over Miles Robinson's injury was extreme.

15. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here

Wow, I guess you can make accurate judgments off of highlight clips.

Actually, I bet MLS picked their best 11 based on highlight clips.

16. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Thank you. I'm dying to see that new kid at Dallas - Tessman?

17. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a tactic to deflect to use the buzz-word of conspiracy (most over-used and misapplied term in the English language by design) to characterize an argument about built-in financial incentives and potential personal biases.

And yes, it's their tendency. Mendez (inferior to Araujo) and Llanez play for far bigger clubs than LA. LA should be compared to other clubs in MLS and the talent pool they're drawing from. This is a tendency that goes back years. From these standpoints, they're abject failures when it comes to integration.

Speaking of Llanez and Mendez, I've made it clear I'm no fan of the Kleibans. But Gary steered players away from them for a reason. The hard truth is LA has a ton to prove in this department, and until they do it, they haven't earned the benefit of the doubt. They even acknowledged it was something they needed to work on and would be a directive. That was before last season, and after early returns, there were diminishing ones.

Patrick167 and DHC1 repped this.
  18. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    He looked very good for his first game. He's got size you can't teach and watching his all touches, had a better game than I remembered. He's got some real skill.

He just tends to move very ... efficiently. He doesn't feel as active. But there was also one play where he ran down a breakaway -- so he might not be skeeterbug quick, but he can move when needed.

kickin365, RalleeMonkey and USSoccerNova repped this.
  19. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, what does "skeeterbug" tell us about where you're from?

IndividualEleven repped this.
  20. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Jong Ajax and the Wolfsburg U19s are bigger than the LA Galaxy?

I don't disagree that the Galaxy's track record of playing youth is not great (though it should get better under te Kloese).

But when talking about playing time with the senior team and lack thereof, should we really be giving credit to Ajax and Wolfsburg for playing time they haven't given to these specific young players, either?

In this long running argument, I notice that people act like these players have already become stars. You can blast LAG for not playing Araujo, but Llanez has torn up the U19 league more than Araujo ever tore up USL.

Why hasn't Llanez gotten any senior team time yet? Why should Wolfsburg get credit until they actually execute?

21. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I'm not sure I want to know.

22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Yeah. I saw that. He gets a raise to what is thought to be $400-$600k. He gets to be backup to expensive imports who won't be as productive. He didn't get to auction his talents to the highest league bidders.

Patrick167 and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  23. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Thank you. Where could I watch his all touches vid?

24. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

25. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    The Llanez at Wolfsburg situation is a puzzler. I'm not that familiar with their wing options but it is strange they released him for January and he has not even made an 18.

Adding to the puzzle is the fact that, Gregg and the Wolfsburg TD are ex-teammates and probably good friends. Gregg has said just about as much and says they have a really good relationship with Wolfsburg.

Another Kleiban client just signed with them. So, Uly and Gary can't be unhappy even though it seems he isn't getting a chance. Gregg had Wolfsburg target Kayo in January camp beyond any reasonable explanation as to why he would be ahead of the rest of his U17 team, all the other U18-U20 pool too.

I think it likely, and this is just speculation, that Wolfsburg have already agreed to release Uly for Olympic Qualifying. For that reason, he is not in their plans until the Spring barring a string of injuries. That Uly wants to play for the U23s and getting a USMNT camp and cap was his reward.

But we might never know if any of that is true.

But if Lennon will not be released, and Reyna too, then it is pretty critical that Uly is on the team.

USSoccerNova repped this.