MLS Flavors of the Week: 2020 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by IndividualEleven, Feb 28, 2020.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yup.......feeling old confirmed.

2. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    Unfortunately I don’t think we know much about what the long term effects are for survivors even when they have no or mild symptoms. I’ve seen reports of asymptotic patients having scared lungs when scanned. Just to name one of the many problems reported I’ve seen. I’m not trying to turn this thread into a COVID thread.

Patrick167 repped this.
  3. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rapids have a huge complex. That would have been my pick.

4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Damn, when even Mexico closes their side of the border, you know this house has fallen.

DHC1 repped this.
  5. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The greed going into this is incredible.

FCD just had another positive case. A number of teams dealing with positive cases. MLS wants to hold this in the current epicenter.

Greed is probably too kind of an adjective.

Raise your hand if your company would send the majority of its employees to Florida right now.

Patrick167 and nobody repped this.
  6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Funny but Germany just finished their season. Even England seems to be on track to finish theirs. We can't get off the ground.

7. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're not Germany nor are we England.

Much larger land mass than either with states acting on their own accord.

Of course, NY got hit hard when most of Europe really got hit and COVID has largely subsided there. So NY hosting MLS or the NBA would be safer and more similar to England or Germany if one were to compare the NY metro region to a Euro country.

Patrick167 and TCS35 repped this.
  8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    With a comprehensive set of testing and isolation protocols a finite set of individuals should be able to get the job done. NASA/SpaceX just sent a couple of astronauts into space out of Florida. They're going to launch another Mars Rover mission this or next month.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  9. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is so very worrying...

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    A Yank Abroad coming back to MLS.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Winoman repped this.
  13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The bubble isn't even really a bubble.

14. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone who lives in the former epicenter, there is no way you can just focus on your job. Being surrounded by COVID takes a toll on you mentally every time you leave the house. It is a threat to have players in the hotel while staff is just going in and out of the bubble every day. I don't even like the idea that the people cooking and handling the food the players eat go in and out of the bubble.

And the family issue is real. No doubt wives and family are concerned. I left the house during the pandemic every day for work and my wife was quite worried. But my business was essential.

This is sports. The risk seems completely unnecessary.

BTW, even though young people likely won't die the longterm side effects, particularly to the lungs can negatively impact the rest of a players' career.

I know over 10 people who died from this. Our company had a few very serious cases. I don't think some people realize how serious this can get.

15. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if my employer sent me there with the testing and isolation MLS have in place I'd be ok with it. It seems like the positive tests are not from the bubble itself.

Florida seems poor for the weather. I also don’t understand why they have not also isolated the food service people etc.

I’m sure there are people willing to isolate for a month of work.

16. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I think MLS should have done like the NHL and picked a Canadian locale for the tournament. The NHL was reportedly looking at Vegas and somewhere in the Eastern half of the country with relatively low cases like Columbus or Pittsburgh, but when the case count started getting out of control in the US again, they supposedly switched their thinking and now are rumored to have picked Edmonton and Toronto.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  17. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would Canada even take this many foreigners? Especially from some of the hotspots.

18. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reporting w/ @PaulTenorio: Sources say Nashville has had five players test positive for COVID since arriving in Orlando on Fri. One upon arrival, four more subsequently. Last four need to be confirmed by follow-ups.

NSC hasn’t trained since Tues. Supposed to play Fire on Weds.

The bubble has burst.

19. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    If one doesn't follow the news to witness how awful our response to the pandemic has been, just look at soccer. Total clownshow here while Europe has been playing for a month with few problems. Embarrassing.

20. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Dip$shits. Endangering the careers of these players in such wreckless fashion.

nobody and Winoman repped this.
  21. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, and I thought they (MLS) had a good handle on what was happening. Goes to show what I know. :(

22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Wonder if they were just trying to do this on the cheap. The final reporting on this should be interesting.

23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS HQ is in NYC. All the suits know damn well how bad this can get. They’ve experienced the death all around them.

Are they really going to follow thru with risking the lives and health of their players?

24. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I'm not sure I see anything that's on MLS doing it on the cheap. The players didn't want to go to Orlando early -- they fought the total time in the bubble. And so they are all trying to come in last minute and that's where they are testing positive.

Most of these positive tests to be likely infection from before getting to Orlando. I suppose it's possible some of them caught it in the Orlando airport or something, but I think it's far more likely it was caught back in their hometowns.

USSoccerNova and IndividualEleven repped this.