MLS Flavors of the Week: 2020 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by IndividualEleven, Feb 28, 2020.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The new season is about to kicks off this weekend!!

gogorath, Pegasus and DHC1 repped this.
  2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS 2020 -Start of the Season - Club Preview of American Players

***THE EAST***

#1 Atlanta United

1. Miles Robinson (CB) – Everyone will have their eyes on the Defender of the Year early candidate. He’s been injured – so that must be factored in. But if all goes well, Miles will be moving onto Europe in 2021.

2. Brad Guzan (GK) – America’s reliable back up keeper. He’s not the sexy pick. But he’s the guy who fans can trust will get the job done.

3. Emerson Hyndman (CM) – In my opinion, he’s overpriced and overrated. And I say that as an Atlanta fan. But he’s got big shoes to fill this season, as it looks like Atlanta has every interest in giving the job to Hyndman. So, if he does well, surpassing the job done by Nagbe, he might get a shot at the next January Camp… His competition will be against Cristian Roldan – a fight that isn’t insurmountable.

4. Brooks Lennon (RB/RM) – Again, I think Atlanta took a step back by expecting Lennon to fill Gressel’s shoes. But if he can, he’ll be an immediate factor for the Olympic Squad – and could surprise everyone as a potential January candidate.

5. George Bello (LB/LM) – I had Bello as my Tyler Adams candidate for 2019, but he could not get healthy. And he still can’t stay healthy. The door hasn’t closed on him. And the biggest hole in Atlanta’s lineup (outside of maybe DM), is at left back.

6. George Campbell (CB) – 2020 is probably still too soon for Campbell, but I expect him to get some minutes this season. Atlanta will want to groom him as a replacement for Miles Robinson. And he has looked promising in limited minutes.

7. Adam Jahn (FW) – A possible sleeper pick! He did very well in the USL Championship last year, and Atlanta will need to do better this season by rotating a back-up striker to either rest or give support to Josef Martinez.

N/R: Brendan Moore (GK), Alec Kann (GK), Jeff Larentowicz (DM), Edgar Castillo (LB/LM)

Atlanta looks to be a step behind the team they fielded in 2019 and in 2018. Their squad is either going to be hit or miss this season. Nonetheless, there are some Americans worth watching this season.

#2 DC United

1. Bill Hamid (GK) – He’s done the job in MLS. But we all need him to still take his ability to the next level if he’s going to contend for a spot on the USMNT. At 29… (yes, it’s hard to think of Hamid as an old man now.) It’s hard to envision that he will try his luck in Europe again.

2. Russell Canouse (DM/RB) – Unfortunate for Arriola, but fortunate for Canouse… He will likely get his chance to lock down the RB spot. Still, it’s a shame because he projects better as a DM. 3. Donovan Pines (CB) – He was alright last year for a young defender. Still, he has a long ways to go. But who knows? This could be his year.

4. Steve Birnbaum (CB) – Entering the twilight of his peak years, Birnbaum could reclaim the kind of form that made him a legit USMNT contender. I wouldn’t bet on it… but stranger things have happened.

5. Moses Nyeman (MF) – Highly rated youngster could make a statement this year. He’s not yet on my radar, but we’ll see in the coming months if he’s worth the hype.

6. Griffin Yow (W/F) – At the last youth tournament, Yow was a major disappointment. But he’s still very young and he could grow into his body and emerge as lethal attacker. Or, he could fade into oblivion.

N/R: Chris Seitz, Chris Odoi-Atsem, Kevin Paredes

Injured: Paul Arriola

I think DC might surprise some people this year. Unfortunately, it won’t come from many of the Americans.

#3 Philadelphia Union

1. Brendan Aaronson (CM) – In my opinion, one of the most talented American youngsters. He should be primed for an even bigger breakout year, and expectations should be that he’s now ready to lead Philadelphia into the MLS Playoffs and be one of the top American players in the league.

2. Mark McKenzie (CB) – I’m not quite as high on McKenzie as I am Aaronson, but the US and Philadelphia need for McKenzie to become a big time player.

3. Andrew Wooten (FW) – Wooten fell off a cliff when he moved to Philadelphia, but let’s not forget that he was tearing up the Bundesliga.2 last year too. As one of the streakiest players in the entire US pool; keep an eye out on Wooten – who could go from nobody to somebody really quickly.

4. Alejandro Bedoya (CM) – Yes, he’s too old for the USMNT. But he’s still of the age that some Americans might question if he should still be part of the program.

5. Matt Real (LB) – Real has a legitimate shot at claiming the left back spot. If he does so, fans might be quick to bump him ahead of some other American who played a significant amount of time at left back in 2019.

6. Jack De Vries (FW) – Too soon? We’ll see. But there’s a lot of hype surrounding him.

7. Matt Freese (GK) – He’s not going to replace Blake anytime soon… which is a shame. Our Olympic age goalkeepers are not looking impressive.

8. Anthony Fontana (AM) – It’s time for Fontana to take the next step in his career. I could see him pushing for a transfer, but we’ll see if he can become a regular for Philadelphia and make fans take notice of him again.

N/R: Cole Turner, Ray Gaddis, Joe Bendik

There’s a lot to take notice of with Philadelphia in 2020. Aaronson will be the star of the show. McKenzie is one to watch. And Wooten should find his scoring touch.

#4 New York City FC

1. James Sands (DM, CB) – Sands is the man of the hour for NYCFC when it comes to Americans. He’s the silky smooth technical type player that makes fans take notice. This year though; we want to see if he can improve his physicality and aggression on and off the ball. If he does so; he could catapult to not only the Olympic squad, but the senior team.

2. Sean Johnson (GK) – Johnson’s story has mirrored the same as Hamid’s story. He’s no longer the player with a lot of potential. We know what we’re going to get… It’ll never be the next Friedel, Howard, Keller, or even Meola. But it hopefully can be good enough, if the USMNT needs him.

3. Joe Scally (RB) – Already a Bundesliga man, Scally needs to take a big step forward and make a name for himself this year. It’ll probably be as a substitute, but when he does come on.. he needs to put his stamp on the game.

4. Keaton Parks (CM) – I don’t get it with Parks… He’ll have a string of games, and fans will clamor that he should already be a senior team player. Then, he’ll fall off a cliff and can’t get a sniff of the field. This year – he needs to put that to bed. He needs to consistently be a big time player.

5. Gedion Zelalem (CM) – Believe it or not; Zelalem is still only 23. That’s not so young, but it provides him an alibi for not yet being the player we wanted him to be during his days at Arsenal. It’s been awhile now since his ACL tear… and he might be able to find the game this season. I’m not betting on it… but I wouldn’t be shocked either.

6. Justin Haak (DM) – There was a lot of hype surrounding this youngster. It’s probably still too soon for him, but if Sands breaks out and teases a move to Europe; I could see Haak being groomed to take his spot.

N/R: Luis Barrarza, Juan Pablo Torres, Tayvon Gray, Sebastian IBeagha, Brad Stuver

Sands is the main guy to pay attention to… NYCFC is still a team build on foreign talent. But Sands figures to be a key player. Next up, Johnson will need to be consistent and good enough for us to feel comfortable if we have no other options at goalkeeper.

#5 New York Red Bulls

1. Aaron Long (CB) – I have to admit… I’m very disappointed in Long that he did not go abroad this winter break. I fear he will regress at this point. Nonetheless, he’s still the American defender to beat.

2. Tim Parker (CB) – 2019 was not too kind for Parker. But I expect Parker to rebound this year. He’s still young enough and tough enough that I expect him to be one of the top defenders for the Red Bulls in 2020.

3. Omir Fernandez (AM) – Fernandez isn’t going to be the main guy in 2020, but he showed flashes last year. He could be someone to keep an eye out on to see how he develops.

4. Ben Mines (AM) – In 2019, Mines disappeared after he gathered a lot of hype in 2019. He still is on my radar. But he needs to start getting onto the field even if it’s for sub minutes.

5. John Tolkin (LB) – Tolkin aims to be the breakout youngster for NYRB in 2020, and we could really use a very talented left back. Still, 2020 might be too soon for him. We’ll see.

6. Kyle Duncan (RB/LB) – Duncan needs to stay healthy consistently in 2020, and if he stays in form, he might impress some fans this year.

7. Ryan Meara (GK) – Is this his year? If I’m Meara, I’d be adamant to get a legitimate shot at the #1 spot.

8. Brian White (FW) – The guy who’s not quite good enough to be an international player, but had a decent year last year. I’d keep an eye on him, but my expectations are not set high.

9. Sean Davis (CM) – He’s never going to be an international player, but he has consistently be a diligent MLS player.

10. Alex Muyl (MF) – Basically, a younger, more offensive version of Davis… works hard, good enough for MLS. Not good enough to even be considered for the senior team.

11. Tom Barlow – Truthfully, I was more impressed by Barlow than I was White. He seems hungrier to score and offers a greater aerial threat. I’d expect him to get minutes in 2020, and he could catch fire. Now, I mean… a small fire. Don’t expect him to do any greater than just becoming a respectable striker in the league.

N/R: Jared Stroud, Sean Nealis, Kendall McIntosh, Chris Lema, Reece Buckmaster, Patrick Seagrist

There’s a lot to get excited about NYRB, and then there’s a lot to figure that they’ll fall flat this year. I predict they’ll get streaky and will also fall into funks throughout the year.

#6 Columbus Crew

1.Gyasi Zardes (FW) – Zardes is what he is… A good enough MLS striker that manages to score more from luck than from talent. Still, he will bang in a lot of goals this season if he can stay healthy and in form.

2. Darlington Nagbe (CM) – It’s unfortunate that he’s not interested in playing for the USMNT, because he was my MLS American player of the year in 2019 (tied with Morris).

3. Aboubacar Keita (CB) – I might be higher on Keita more than most, but I see a bit of Ike Opara in him. He has good tenacity and if he can build off of 2019, he could force his way into the Crew line up and could become a candidate for the US youth squads.

4. Sebastian Berhalter (CM) – The next Bradley? We’ll see.

N/R: Josh Williams, Hector Jimenez, Aiden Morris, Matt Lampson, Andrew Tarbell, Jon Kempin

A lot of pundits are rating the Crew as a sleeper this year. I think they’ll do better… but I am doubtful they’ll do much more than qualify for the playoffs.

#7 Inter Miami

1.Robbie Robinson (FW) – Maybe it’s just wishful thinking, but I am going to take a stab and say that Robinson wins rookie of the year, he scores more than 10 goals, and he earns a spot in the January Camp in 2021.

2. Wil Trapp (DM) – Will Miami’s beaches do the trick for Trapp? I guess we can all hope so. It was time for him to get out of Columbus and lead Miami from expansion franchise to playoff contender.

3. Ben Sweat (LB) – We all are looking at left backs. Sweat might not be international quality. But he’s MLS quality for sure.

4. Dylan Nealis (RB) - Nealis is one of the highly routed players coming out of the draft. He should lock down a starting spot and make a name for himself.

5. Luis Robles (GK) – This dinosaur doesn’t stand a chance for the USMNT anymore, but Miami will desperately need him to lead this team. Yet, where his value for the US will come in; offering guidance to young keepers Callendar and McCarthy.

6. Lee Nguyen (AM) – Bouncing all over the league cannot be good for Nguyen, but he’s been a talented wizard on the ball wherever he plays.

7. George Acosta (AM) - Hopefully he learns from Nguyen and other veterans… because Acosta is one of the highly touted youngsters who could breakout in 2020.

8. Jerome Kiesewetter (RW) – Kiesewetter went from USMNT prospect to nobody way too quickly. Nonetheless, he had a solid year last year in the USL. I wouldn’t write him off this year.

9. Juan Agudelo (FW) – I’m not that high on Agudelo, but he’s finally out of New England. It’s time to see what he can do under the Florida sun.

10. Grant Lillard (CB) – There’s going to be a lot of responsibility placed on Lillard unless Miami get some better center backs. He’ll face some competition, but who knows? He could make some noise.

11. Mikey Ambrose (LB/RB) – He just wasn’t quite good enough for Atlanta. But he’s one of those guys who could go from nobody to an irreplaceable player on somebody’s squad.

N/R: John McCarthy, Drake Callendar

Write off Miami if you like, but I’m going with Miami making the playoffs in their first year. I think they have the flair and the ability to do enough to sneak in. They should scores goals, for sure. If they crumble though; it’ll be because of their defense. Thus, their make or break player this year will be Wil Trapp.

#8 New England Revolution

1. Matt Turner (GK)– Can we get a goalkeeper to step up, please!? Turner is our best bet to be that guy.

2. Henry Kessler (CB, DM) – There’s been a lot of hype surrounding Kessler in preseason. And we could really use a guy who can play either CB or DM on the national team.

3. Teal Bunbury (FW) – Bunbury could still be a 10+ goal scorer for the Revs. If so, he could sneak in as an option for the USMNT. I don’t think it’ll happen, but I’m rooting for the guy.

4. Kelyn Rowe (LAM) – Back in New England, my prediction is that Rowe is one of the contenders for the comeback player of the year. Not only do I think he’ll start, but I figure he’ll be their main man this year.

5. Justin Rennicks (FW) – Rennicks strikes me as one of those guys who was able to make it onto the US youth squads, and then fall of the face of the earth. I hope to be wrong. I hope he emerges as a top talent. We’ll see.

6. Andrew Farrell (CB, RB) – What happened to Farrell? At one point, he was a legit USMNT contender, and now he might not even be starting for the New England Revolution.

7. Brandon Bye (RB, LB) – Bye should get plenty of starts for the Revolution, but don’t expect him to make it onto the USMNT anytime soon.

8. Scott Caldwell (DM) – Fading out of the picture; Caldwell is still someone who’s worth keeping an eye on.

9. DeJuan Jones (RB, RW) – Jones had a few good games last year, and he’s young enough to turn into a steady contributor in MLS.

N/R: Isaac Angking, Brad Knighton, Jeff Caldwell, Damian Rivera, Seth Sinovic

As far as Americans go, it’s pretty much Matt Turner. Henry Kessler, Bunbury, and Rowe could make noise. But “could” is the key word. The rest of the picture looks pretty bleak.

#9 Toronto FC

1. Jozy Altidore (FW) – Can he stay healthy? Can he stay in form? As the years go by, that looks less and less likely. But with the dour state of the USMNT forwards; we’re still counting on him.

2. Marky Delgado (DM) – I don’t see Delgado taking that next step to the national level, but it should be noted that when he did play for the US, he didn’t embarrass himself. He should look to be a consistent player, stay healthy, and take his game to the next level.

3. Quentin Westberg (GK) – Westberg was solid in the playoffs. He’s getting older. But our goalkeeper situation looks very bleak.

4. Justin Morrow (LB) – Morrow is getting near the end of his career, but until there’s a plethora of suitable left backs; Morrow is still worth watching.

5. Eriq Zavaleta (CB) – Still youngish. Still capable. He might could earn a starting spot and solidify his place in the league.

6. Patrick Mullins (FW) – If there has ever been a domestic league version of the streaky Andrew Wooten (who is now in MLS); its Mullins. He’ll go from nobody to banging in hattricks then back to nobody.

7. Nick deLeon (RW) – Similar to Mullins; he’s a streaky player. He’ll need to be consistent. But he’s still a factor in the league.

8. Griffin Dorsey (RW) – A highly touted youngster… I think he’ll get a shot this year.

9. Ayo Akinola (FW) – Akinola was a monster at the youth level. He’s still young. And Jozy’s health is always a question. Therefore, I’d keep an eye on him.

10. Alex Bono (GK) – Bono lost his job to Westberg last year. But he’s still young enough that he could either take his spot back or push for a transfer where he could be the #1. Personally, I would say he’d walk into the job at Nashville – if both clubs would be so wise.

11. Omar Gonzalez (CB) – The old man is still ticking, and I don’t see the powers that be, let anyone forget that they still rate Omar as one of top dogs in defense in the league.

N/R: N/A

Injured: Michael Bradley

Toronto snuck back into the MLS Playoffs after falling off a cliff in 2018. My prediction is that fall back off that cliff in 2020. And while there’s a good number of Americans who contend for a spot; none really make a name for themselves.

#10 FC Cincinnati

1. Frankie Amaya (MF) – Maybe I’m too high on Amaya, but I believe Amaya is the forgotten child of the top American youth midfielders in the country. I thought he did better when he dropped back at as an 8, and if he works on his defense, he could really accelerate his trajectory and status in the league.

2. Greg Garza (LB) – If he can stay healthy, and stay in form, Garza would be a contender for a starting spot with the national team. But, what’s more likely is that Garza retires young than he stays healthy and in form.

3. Joe Gyau (LW) – Speaking of players with injury histories; Gyau is that man. With years past since his significant injury, Gyau could be a force in 2020. Or, he could be just another “what could have been.”

4. Brandon Vasquez (FW) – Vasquez couldn’t find the field for Atlanta, but he had moments where he was thought to be in the same category as Jeremy Ebobisse and Mason Toye. Yeah, that’s not setting the world on fire, but it’s nothing to sneeze at either.

5.Kekuta Manneh (LW) – Manneh went from one of the most highly thought of youngster in the league to an absolute nobody way too soon for my liking. He’s still young. He’s still capable. Chances are that he fades into the distance, but the potential is still there.

6. Andrew Gutman (LB) – While Garza is looking closer and closer to retirement… Gutman should be contending for that starting spot. I doubt he’ll ever be good enough for Celtic though.

7. Caleb Stanko (DM) – Man, I got this one wrong last year. I thought Stanko was going to be a hit last year, but 2019 was an absolute bust for him. Still, it’s too early to give up on him entirely as an MLS player.

8. Fatai Alashe (DM) – Alashe has had the better career than Stanko – although, he has faded from glory too. Still, he has not had the potential of Stanko. Nevertheless, he should get plenty of time this year.

9. Nick Hagglund (CB) – Hagglund went from whispers of making an appearance for the USMNT to falling off a cliff. 2020 is a new year though.

N/R: Bobby Edwards, Saad Abdul-Salaam, Zico Bailey, Spencher Richey, Jimmy McLaughlin, Tommy McCabe

FC Cincinnati’s fanbase entered the league with a bang. But it sadly seems for them, they’re destiny is to be like another Orlando City. Still, FCC has a few contenders. It’ll be a measure how many, if any, will step up.

#11 Chicago Fire

1. Djordje Mihailovic (CM) – Pretty much… Mihailovic is the only American at Chicago worth watching… and that fire is dwindling fast. 2020 was not kind to Mihailovic after a successful January Camp. It’s time that he puts his stamp on the league and make a name for himself.

2. CJ Sapong (FW) – There’s still Sapong. Yes, he’s getting older. But forward is still a weak spot. And we could benefit from a forward who can hold the ball up against imposing physical defenders.

3. Kenneth Kronholm (GK) – Again, Goalkeeper looks so bleak… that any starting goalkeeper is worth watching.

N/R: Bobby Shuttleworth, Jonathan Bornstein, Brandt Bonico, Mauricio Pineda, Connor Sparrow, Nicholas Slonina, Gabriel Slonina, Jeremiah Gutjahr, Andrew Reynolds

Man, Chicago Fire… looks bad. Under new ownership, one would think they would have a better shot, but it looks like they’ll still have to go through some growing pains. And from an American fan perspective, there’s not much there.

#12 Orlando City SC

1. Chris Mueller (RW) – Mueller is about the most exciting American player that Orlando has. But Mueller is the type of player who would be exciting if he was an 18-19 year old prospect… not a 23 year old who should be entering the prime of his career.

2. Dom Dwyer (FW) – Injured again. Their main man went from being one of the top MLS strikers to falling off a cliff.

3. Daryl Dike (FW) – Dike is supposed to be one of the big shots of the MLS 2020 draft. For Orlando’s sake, they better hope so.

4. Benji Michel (FW) – He’s got a long way to go. But he’s been alright.

N/R: Alex DeJohn, Brian Rowe, Kyle Smith, David Loera, Jordan Bender, Joey DeZart, Mason Stajduhar

It has to be sad to be an Orlando City fan.

#13 Montreal Impact

N/R: Evan Bush.

Why are they even in MLS anymore? And not in the CPL?

mbar, 50/50 Ball, wixson7 and 9 others repped this.
  3. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ***THE WEST***

#1 Seattle Sounders

1. Jordan Morris (RW) – Arguably the best American player in 2019… all eyes will be on Morris if he can build on a very successful year.

2. Stefan Frei (GK) – Although he’s getting older, Frei has been one of the most consistent goalkeepers in the league. With the state of desperation of the American goalkeeper, Frei is someone to keep an eye on.

3. Cristian Roldan (CM) – Roldan has not been great at the national level, but he has consistently performed for Seattle. In this way, he’s worthy of being one of the players in the pool who’s on the periphery but shouldn’t be the best we have.

4. Danny Leyva (CM) – One of the most talented youths in our player pool, will he take the leap from prospect to contributor this year?

5. Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez (FW) – It may be too soon for AOC to be a regular starter; he should still get regular sub minutes this year.

6. Miguel Ibarra (RW) – Unfortunately for Ibarra, Minnesota felt that Ibarra was not worth keeping. Well, will Minnesota’s loss be Seattle’s gain? We’ll see.

7. Harry Shipp (LW) – Shipp proved himself a reliable bench option for the best team in MLS last year. I expect much of the same in this year.

8. Shane O’Neill (CB) – O’Neill was one of the most talented youngsters early in his career. And then he went abroad and his career has struggled ever since. Could he rally this year? Possibly so. It’s an uphill climb though.

9. Will Bruin (FW) – I wouldn’t expect Bruin to be a starter much less a leading goal scorer nor punch his name on a USMNT roster anytime soon, but he could be a reliable back up.

10. Trey Muse (GK) – Muse is unlikely to unseat Frei this year. But I’d hope that Seattle value him enough to give him some minutes here or there.

N/R: Alex Roldan, Steven Cleveland, Justin Dhillon

Right now, Seattle look like the team to beat in the league. And there are plenty of American talents… although most will start on the bench.

#3 Los Angeles FC

1. Tristan Blackmon (RB) – The only American starter for one of the best clubs in MLS? How does that look? And it may be generous to call Blackmon a starter.

N/R: Jordan Harvey, Alejandro Guido, Danny Musovski, Bryce Duke, Adrien Perez, Phillip Ejimadu

There’s not much here on the American front. LAFC is certainly a team built on the back of foreign talent. More specifically, LAFC is built on the back of Carlos Vela and Diego Rossi and a few others. For a team that is considered so strong; they lack depth – to the point, that an injury to Vela and Rossi would make them a longshot to make the playoffs.

#3 LA Galaxy

1. Sebastian Lletget (MF) – Without a doubt, one of the best American midfielders in MLS. The Galaxy will depend on Lletget to lead this team.

2. Julian Araujo (RB) – Araujo needs to beat out Feltscher, but signs point to that is a winnable battle. If he can beat out Feltscher and become the Galaxy’s starting right back. He will emerge as one of the top American prospects at right back. Still, it seems almost silly that the Galaxy & LAFC don’t work out a trade where one of Araujo/Feltscher goes to LAFC and the Galaxy gets something of value in return.

3. David Bingham (GK) – Bingham is a rather erratic goalkeeper. He goes from USMNT contention to falling way down in the pecking order. This year, the Galaxy will need him to step up his game. And he’s a long ways away from earning a spot for the national team.

4. Joe Corona (MF) – Corona is no kid anymore, but he was a reliable contributor for the Galaxy. I wouldn’t expect to see him again in the US shirt though.

5. Perry Kitchen (DM) – With Jonathan Dos Santos carrying a knock, Kitchen needs to step up his game and demonstrate that he’s the player he was hyped to be as a youth.

6. Ethan Zubak (FW) – Will Zubak receive playing time this year? I don’t have the answer for that yet. But he looks like he might be the best the Galaxy has as their up-and-coming striker.

7. Daniel Steres (CB) – It’s odd that a team as rich as the Galaxy is encumbered by such a weak center back. Nonetheless, fans can expect to see a lot of Steres this season.

N/R: Eric Lopez, Justin Vom Steeg, Cameron Dunbar, Sacha Kljestan, Nick DePuy,

Injured: Danilo Acosta

Call me a pessimistic, but I predict that Chicharito will not be the hit that Carlos Vela was. But I am hoping that Lletget takes charge of this team. As far as American go, this LA team will be the more pressing team to watch.

#4 FC Dallas

1. Paxton Pomykal (CM) – Hopefully he returns fresh from his injuries. FC Dallas and the USMNT needs him.

2. Reggie Cannon (RB) – The best American right back in the league by a longshot. It should only be a matter of time before he goes abroad.

3. Jesus Ferreira (FW) – With Weah’s injury woes and Sargent struggling to find form; the USMNT will be desperate for Ferreira to become the man.

4. Brandon Servania (CM) – Suffering an untimely injury will hopefully not prevent Servania from putting his stamp on the FC Dallas starting line-up and emerging as a good enough prospect for the USMNT.

5. Ricardo Pepi (FW) – Maybe he’s still too young, but Pepi should continue to get more of a look with the senior team as he destroyed USL League One last year.

6 .Edwin Cerrillo (DM) – Even when FC Dallas takes a hit with Pomykal and Servania out; they just inject Cerrillo into the line up. A very promising young American midfielder.

7. Jesse Gonzalez (GK) – Gonzalez is still very young. Although, he needs to become consistent if he wants to push into the senior team.

8. Thomas Roberts (MF) – The next Pomykal? 2020 could be his year to prove his worth.

9. Tanner Tessman (MF) – Now, that he’s declared for Dallas instead of Clemson, it’s time he lives up to the hype.

10. Matt Hedges (CB) – And while everyone is focused on the embarrassment of riches that the Dallas academies are producing, there’s still old reliable out there. Once considered the best defender in the league, Hedges is still only 29… the prime years of his career.

11. Ryan Hollingshead (LB, RB) – He may have missed the boat with the USMNT; Hollingshead is still one of the best fullbacks in the league.

12. John Nelson (LB) – If Cannon leaves for Europe (as he should), Hollingshead is likely to start on the right, and Nelson on the left. Apparently, Nelson is a potential stud and would start for most teams in MLS.

13. Fafa Picault (LW) – And while FC Dallas has midfielders coming out of their ears, they pick up one of the paciest players in the league with Picault. He might not be senior team material… but, he has to leave FC Dallas front office with reason to feel cocky going into 2020.

N/R: Jimmy Maurer, Eddie Munjoma, Nkosi Burgess, Kyle Zobeck, Dante Sealy, Bryan Reynolds

There is no other team in the league that general USMNT fans should tune in for than FC Dallas. They’re stocked across the board with young and exciting American talents. A testament for the youth academies in the league. Perhaps the only reason they’re not ranked higher is because their lack of star power from their DP’s.

#5 Sporting Kansas City

1. Gianluca Busio (CF) – Busio will be the main man to watch for regarding American talent at Sporting Kansas City. Now, a little bit older (although still very young)… he should be expected to take the reigns, and make a case for a good European team to steal him in the winter.

2. Matt Besler (CB) – Nearing the end of his career, Sporting will still need him to be the man to lead the backline for Kansas City.

3. Graham Zusi (RB) – Pretty much the same story as Besler. Vermes will need Zusi to provide leadership to an unsettled squad.

4. Jaylin Lindsey (LB, RB) – 2019 was not kind for Lindsey. Surely, he will be hoping that in 2020 that he will reemerge and solidify his status in the league.

5. Tim Melia (GK) – Age is catching up on Melia. Nonetheless, he should still be the main man in 2020.

6. Khiry Shelton (FW) – Returning from Bundesliga, he should bring some experience with him and determination to get his name in the starting line-up and on the scoresheet.

7. Wan Kuzain (DM) – Like Lindsey, 2019 was not kind for Kuzain. But he should hope that he could push to become a rotational player for SKC.

8. Tyler Freeman (FW) – The very young Freeman will be hoping that he will get his shot to be the next big thing for SKC.

N/R: Amadou Dia, Graham Smith, Erik Hurtado, Felipe Hernandez, Cameron Duke, John Pulskamp

Sporting Kansas City could go either way this season. Personally, I think Vermes has enough savvy to get his team across the playoff line in 2020 – even if they’re not considered a contender by most.

#6 Minnesota United

1. Mason Toye (FW) – Toye had a bit of a breakout year last year. But he still seemed to hit a bit of a slump afterwards. This year he needs to work on his consistency and build on last year.

2. Tyler Miller (GK) – LAFC’s loss will be Minnesota’s gain. Miller will be in the running for a January Camp call up with a successful run with Minnesota. But he has to be more consistent.

3. Chase Gasper (LB) – Gasper ended the season with Minnesota on a hot run of form. Now, the true test will be to build on that form.

4. Ike Opara (CB) – Last year’s defender of the year should be primed for a repeat of that title.

5. Hassani Dotson (MF, RB, LB) – Dotson did well by the end of last year, and became a factor for the U23 team. The question will be, what’s his best position? And can he build off a successful 2019?

6. Jacori Hayes (MF) – Hayes is one of those guys who is nice to have on the bench, but he’s not going to push any MLS side over the line. Good news for Minnesota is that they’ll be able to use Hayes for just that.

7. Ethan Finlay (RW) – Finlay is getting older and he has had a career of significant injuries. Nevertheless, he is set to be a contributor for a Minnesota team set to make the playoffs.

N/R: Aaron Schoenfeld, Marlon Hairston, Brent Kallman

Minnesota shows promise this season, but there are still some question marks in their team. I believe they’ll make the playoffs by the skin of their teeth… thanks to the leadership of Opara and a few rising young American players.

#7 San Jose Earthquakes

1. Jackson Yuiell (DM) – Yuiell may have been the MLS breakout player of the year in 2019. It’ll be up to him to build off a very successful 2019, and continue to make a case for the Olympic and senior team.

2. Nick Lima (LB, RB) – In contrast, Lima had a very poor 2019. It may be because it switched to the left side last year, but versatility has always been one of Lima’s strengths. Nevertheless, I’ll take the bet that Lima has a better year this year.

3. JT Marcinkowski (GK) – It’s time we have at least one youth keeper take a starting spot in MLS. And Marcinkowski should get his chance to stake that claim. It should be pointed out again that without Steffen – who seems to be out indefinitely - our goalkeeper situation again looks extremely dire. We need him to take that leap.

4. Tommy Thompson (RB) – Thompson had a bit of a revelation year at right back last year. Is that where he’ll play again this year? It looks most likely.

5. Chris Wondolowski (FW) – Okay, so Wondolowski’s days on the national team are long past. But I see one last year for Wondolowski in MLS where he hits 10+ goals.

6. Eric Calvillo (MF) – San Jose has been working hard on their youth academy, and Calvillo might be the guy to start getting some minutes in 2020.

7. Jacob Akanyirige (CB) – Similarly, the young, Akanyirige, could grow into a rotational center back option for San Jose.

8. Cade Cowell (FW) – Cowell is still just a baby, but he had flashes when he came onto the field. He should be working hard to get into the regular rotation at San Jose.

N/R: Matt Bersano, Shea Salinas, Tanner Beason, Jack Skahan, Siad Haji, Gilbert Fuentes, Casey Walls, Luis Felipe, Emi Ochoa

San Jose was once a non-player when it came to developing young Americans. But that issue has seemed to turn a corner. For that reason, I am predicting San Jose gets the last playoff spot… even though I predict it to be a dogfight in the west.

#8 Real Salt Lake

1. Justen Glad (CB) – It’s time that Glad quits messing around in mediocre status, and take his game to that next level where European teams begin to take notice. Otherwise, he’ll be the CB who peaked at 19.

2. David Ochoa (GK) – I’m hoping and praying that Ochoa gets his shot to earn the #1 spot at RSL. As a USMNT fan, we are desperate for the next wave of American goalkeepers to emerge, and right now, he is the most talented youth keeper.

3. Aaron Herrera (RB, LB) – He can play on the left or right… Herrera is the underrated American youth fullback in MLS.

4. Corey Baird (FW) – I believe 2020 proved that Baird might be a MLS caliber player, but he’ll never be an international player. Nonetheless, he’ll work hard to prove that notion wrong.

5. Donny Toia (LB) – Toia was once a name thrown around as a USMNT candidate. Today, not so much. But he has still locked down a starting position for MLS playoff contender caliber team.

6. Nick Besler (MF) – With Beckerman getting older; Besler might have his chance to really lock down that CDM spot with RSL. Not that it’ll benefit the USMNT much though.

N/R: Kyle Beckerman, Chris Garcia, Zac MacMath, Tate Schmittt, Milan Iloski, Luis Arriaga, Justin Portillo, Sam Johnson, Andrew Putna, Erik Holt

Real Salt Lake has done their due diligence in building their youth academy. But I fear it won’t be enough for them in 2020. With Rimando’s retirement, Beckerman – probably needing to retire, and a lack of otherwise star power, I don’t think this group of talented young Americans are talented enough to get them across the line.

#9 Colorado Rapids

1. Sam Vines (LB) – Vines had a breakout year in 2019, and he’s off to a good start in 2020. Left Back is such a sour spot for the USMNT that he might be a USMNT regular before anyone could have predicted.

2. Cole Bassett (MF) – Line-up predictions do not have Bassett has a starter yet. But my prediction is that he will emerge as one of the key players for the Colorado Rapids in 2020, and will help them make a push for the playoffs – although I also believe that push will be unsuccessful.

3. Keegan Rosenberry (RB) – Rosenberry is a wildly inconsistent fullback. He went from rising star on the USMNT to a nobody to medicore last year. He should hope to reclaim his rookie form and build off that.

4. Auston Trusty (CB) – Speaking of players who fell off a cliff… What the hell happened to Trusty? He was one of our most promising center backs! He’s still young. So he should hope to get back to form in 2020.

5. Jonathan Lewis (LW) – Lewis has unfortunately never been a big hit in MLS although he was a very talented youngster at the youth level. He couldn’t crack it at NYCFC and he doesn’t project to crack it at lowly Colorado Rapids either. Nevertheless, Lewis needs to prove that he can be a starting caliber winger in MLS this year.

6. Kellyn Acosta (MF) – On the subject of busts, Kellyn Acosta certainly fits the bill. Acosta was supposed to be the next big thing for the USMNT and now people are questioning if he’s even starting quality for the Colorado Rapids.

7. Clint Irwin (GK) – Will this be Irwin’s year? He has a shot now to prove that he’s got the position on lockdown.

N/R: Drew Moor, Andrew Rawls, Jeremy Kelly, Kortne Ford

Colorado still seems like a hot mess. Although there are still some promising young Americans – such as Vines and Bassett. More so, there’s young American, Sebastian Anderson is on loan, who could get recalled. But I don’t think any of that will help them get across the line. For the most part, they seem to be made up of Americans who had a lot of promise and turned into a bust.

#10 Portland Timbers

1.Jeremy Ebobisse (FW) – I feel sorry for Ebobisse. If there’s one American striker who deserves to be a starting American striker in MLS – its’ him. But Portland do not seem to have that kind of faith in him. Maybe that’s the curse of the DP rule where CF is a must for any team in the league. It’s a damn shame too. Because I would predict he’d be a 15+ goal scorer if he could stay healthy, in form, and play every minute.

2. Jorge Villafana (LB) – Villafana should have the left-back spot on lockdown at Portland in 2020. And we should all remember that Villafana is still young enough to be a USMNT player.

3. Eryk Williamson (MF) – Will this finally be Williamson’s year? I am not betting on it because Portland does not seem to value playing American youths. It’s a shame for a once hot youth prospect who seems to be turning into a ‘never was.’

4. Steve Clark (GK) – Portland has a big dilemma – Clark or Attinella? Right now, it’s Clark’s job, but at the end of 2018, Attinella had everyone convinced that he was a starting caliber goalkeeper in the league.

5. Jeff Attinella (GK) – See above.

6. Marco Farfan (LB) – Farfan’s career has stalled, but I am sure he’s hoping to get back on the field if he can step up his game. Right now, I do not have him even as a contender for the Olympic team; and in truth, I wouldn’t even have him as a contender for the U-20’s.

N/R: Chris Duvall, Blake Bodily

Portland is the team I predict will not live up to expectations. Nevertheless, there’s still some hope from the American front. I’ll stake that Ebobisse hits 10+ goals. Villafana makes a case for LB at the January Camp. And Williamson reemerges from the ashes to become a solid pro.

#11 Nashville SC

1.Walker Zimmermann (CB) – Nashville will depend heavily on Zimmermann. Unfortunately, it won’t be to see if they can make it into the playoffs; so much as it is to simply not be embarrassed like an FC Cincinnati or Orlando City.

2. Jack Maher (DM, CB) – Maher is an early contender for the ROY award. Nashville will need him to step up big, and he should get his shot. Question will be, at CB or DM?

3. Daniel Lovitz (LB) – We can say what we want about Lovitz – but he projects to be Nashville’s starting LB.

4. Derrick Jones (DM) – Jones was once a very promising youngster, but his career stalled at Philadelphia. My prediction is that he’s behind Maher, but he could work hard and push ahead of him too.

5. Joe Willis (GK) – Personally, I have nothing against Willis. That said, I personally believe Willis is going to get picked on in 2020. If I’m Nashville, I’m pushing for a trade hard for Willis for either Marcinkowski, Ochoa, or Freese. At least get some value of playing a young American keeper if you’re going to throw just anybody to the wolves.

6. Dave Romney (CB) – Romney will face an onslaught in 2020 as he projects to be the partner for Zimmermann.

7. Dax McCarty (MF) – Too old for the USMNT; McCarty will still be counted on to provide a leadership presence for Nashville. In a way, they will look to him to be their Atlanta’s Jeff Larentowicz.

8. Eric Miller (RB, LB) – Miller is the league’s journeyman fullback. He should do good enough to stay on the field. But he will likely not do good enough to help Nashville be a playoff contender or ever be considered for the USMNT.

N/R: Adrien Zendejas, Alan Winn, Matt LaGrassa, Taylor Washington, Tanner Dieterich, Luke Haakenson, Ken Tribbett, Jalil Anibaba, Elliot Panicco

Unlike Miami, I see a hard year in front of Nashville. Although, they do seem to have upgraded their backline by adding Zimmermann. Still, they do not have the offensive firepower to move the needle. Still, I think they’ll do better than some of the teams without aspiration. Nevertheless, I don’t expect much from the American players at Nashville.

#12 Houston Dynamo

1. Christian Ramirez (FW) – Big Bad Christian Ramirez needs to be his stamp on the Houston Dynamo to prove that MLS can have an American striker as its first choice CF. Still, he looks to be behind the DP’s at Houston. Honestly, a transfer to Nashville would make a lot of sense for all parties.

2. Memo Rodriguez (LW) – Memo was a bit of a surprise in 2019. He stayed mostly unnoticed but he did amass quite the stats last year. For Houston’s sake, we should all hope that he builds off that year. Still, I don’t think he’s a USMNT caliber player, but he could be a regular contributor for the Dynamo.

3. Tommy McNamara (RW) – McNamara has always seemed to me a bit out of shape to maintain a long professional MLS career. But he’s always managed to at least not embarrass himself when he gets on the field. So he has that going for him.

4. Zarek Valentin (RB, LB) – With Beasley’s retirement; Valentin will look to lockdown that spot. It’s highly unlikely that he’ll ever be a USMNT contender, but I do think he’ll help make the Dynamo a better team.

N/R: Marcelo Palomino, Michael Nelson, Sam Junqua, Cody Cropper

Houston predicts to be one of the whipping boys of the league. And the American players at Houston look to be in a bad place.

#13 Vancouver Whitecaps

1.Jake Nerwinski (RB) – A solid pro, but he’s a ways away from the national team level.

N/R: Bryan Meredith

Ultimately, I believe Vancouver and Montreal will battle it out for the worst in MLS. And only Nerwinski will be impacted from what will likely be a long year.

mbar, 50/50 Ball, wixson7 and 11 others repped this.
  4. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    In terms of this thread, LAFC has gradually turned into a disappointment. The club has generally relied on older players (Nguyen, Harvey, Feilhaber) to fill key roles in its first two seasons and have traded the prime Americans (Zimmerman, Miller, Ramirez) they have had for peak value. I hope to see a new face emerge into the picture.

Speaking of Christian Ramirez...

I'm actually more curious about Tab Ramos than any of the players with Houston. I want to see if Ramos can achieve success in MLS.

5. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I seem to recall others who follow the youth teams more closely than me saying that LAFC's academy looks really promising (which makes sense, given that it's SoCal). So, I'm willing to cut them some slack for the next couple years with regard to playing Americans.

NYC started out with very little American presence as well, but now that their academy is getting rolling, Sands seems to be a regular, Scally looks to get minutes off the bench, and Haak, as Eleven Bravo notes, is getting lots of hype, not to mention them picking up Parks and Torres.

schrutebuck repped this.
  6. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    LAFC does have very good teams at the younger ages. But that team is ambitious; they are going to have to earn their time.

Right now, he's a bit older, but I do think Adrian Perez is going to get some time.

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    LAFC have Adrien Perez, Latif Blessing(working on citizenship), and Tristan Blackmon.

8. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    @Eleven Bravo - great work.

if you were to put potential on these players like you did in another thread, how would that look?

We have posters who think that dozens of the listed players are good enough for the EPL barring passports. I don’t see it but interested in your thoughts.

thanks.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  9. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    canouse in for the golden boot...

10. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I'm not watching the DC/Colorado game, but looking at the lineup on mlssoccer.com, they have Gressel playing in the center of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1. Is that normal for him? I feel like I've only ever seen him play wide.

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    There is an MLS vs Europe thread. Please use the appropriate thread.

Gressel mainly played on the right for Atlanta but was occasionally used centrally. DC are missing Yamil Asad who would be preferred centrally.

largegarlic repped this.
  12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    As a correction, they're missing Asad, but he actually was used more as a left mid.

13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Supersub, Lewis!!!

14. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll work on it.

DHC1 repped this.
  15. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not anything to do with playing but the commentary for the DC-Colorado game put me to sleep. Literally. Woke up to Lewis scoring.

Just was not an exciting game on either end. I guess not until later.

16. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    A poor clearance by Canouse under difficult circumstances led to pinball in the DC defensive box and the winner by Lewis.

Since firing Anthony Hudson, Colorado has been a club to watch under Casey and Fraser. Seattle and the two LA clubs should be at the top, but I think otherwise the Western Conference is totally up for grabs.

17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I'm expecting FCD to challenge in the West.

Atlanta have announced they won't releasing any first team players for games outside of the FIFA window. Flavor, Miles Robinson, should then be called up to the senior NT.

18. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Sick outlet pass by Bingham leads to Pavon goal. Not sure credited with assist, but deserves one.

gogorath repped this.
  19. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @DHC1 Be generous... I don't play FIFA that often, but this is what I'd rate using the FIFA rating system...

MLS 2020 -Start of the Season - Club Preview of American Players

***THE EAST***

#1 Atlanta United

1. Miles Robinson (CB) – 77 - 83

2. Brad Guzan (GK) – 76 - 76

3. Emerson Hyndman (CM) – 73 - 78

4. Brooks Lennon (RB/RM) – 73 - 78

5. George Bello (LB/LM) – 65 - 85

6. George Campbell (CB) – 64 - 80

7. Adam Jahn (FW) – 68 – 74

N/R: Brendan Moore (GK), Alec Kann (GK), Jeff Larentowicz (DM), Edgar Castillo (LB/LM)

#2 DC United

1. Bill Hamid (GK) – 75 - 78

2. Russell Canouse (DM/RB) – 71 - 74

3. Donovan Pines (CB) – 68 - 75

4. Steve Birnbaum (CB) – 73 - 73

5. Moses Nyeman (MF) – 60 - 78

6. Griffin Yow (W/F) – 55 - 78

N/R: Chris Seitz, Chris Odoi-Atsem, Kevin Paredes

Injured: Paul Arriola 76 - 78

#3 Philadelphia Union

1. Brendan Aaronson (CM) – 74 - 86

2. Mark McKenzie (CB) – 69 - 82

3. Andrew Wooten (FW) – 71 - 72

4. Alejandro Bedoya (CM) – 75 - 75

5. Matt Real (LB) – 67 - 78

6. Jack De Vries (FW) – 59 - 78

7. Matt Freese (GK) – 66 - 80

8. Anthony Fontana (AM) – 64 - 76

N/R: Cole Turner, Ray Gaddis, Joe Bendik

#4 New York City FC

1. James Sands (DM, CB) – 73 - 85

2. Sean Johnson (GK) – 76 – 77

3. Joe Scally (RB) – 64 - 84

4. Keaton Parks (CM) – 71 - 81

5. Gedion Zelalem (CM) – 66 - 76

6. Justin Haak (DM) – 58 - 78

N/R: Luis Barrarza, Juan Pablo Torres, Tayvon Gray, Sebastian IBeagha, Brad Stuver

#5 New York Red Bulls

1. Aaron Long (CB) – 77 - 79

2. Tim Parker (CB) – 74 - 76

3. Omir Fernandez (AM) – 66 - 78

4. Ben Mines (AM) – 58 - 78

5. John Tolkin (LB) – 58 - 78

6. Kyle Duncan (RB/LB) – 70 - 78

7. Ryan Meara (GK) – 71 - 75

8. Brian White (FW) – 71 - 73

9. Sean Davis (CM) – 71 – 71

10. Alex Muyl (MF) – 71 - 72

11. Tom Barlow – 69 - 74

N/R: Jared Stroud, Sean Nealis, Kendall McIntosh, Chris Lema, Reece Buckmaster, Patrick Seagrist

#6 Columbus Crew

1.Gyasi Zardes (FW) – 76 - 77

2. Darlington Nagbe (CM) – 80 - 80

3. Aboubacar Keita (CB) – 69 - 79

4. Sebastian Berhalter (CM) – ??

N/R: Josh Williams, Hector Jimenez, Aiden Morris, Matt Lampson, Andrew Tarbell, Jon Kempin

A lot of pundits are rating the Crew as a sleeper this year. I think they’ll do better… but I am doubtful they’ll do much more than qualify for the playoffs.

#7 Inter Miami

1.Robbie Robinson (FW) – 69 - 79

2. Wil Trapp (DM) – 74 - 76

3. Ben Sweat (LB) – 69 – 69

4. Dylan Nealis (RB) - 67 - 76

5. Luis Robles (GK) – 74 - 74

6. Lee Nguyen (AM) – 71 – 71

7. George Acosta (AM) - 67 - 77

8. Jerome Kiesewetter (RW) – 69 - 74

9. Juan Agudelo (FW) – 68 - 71

10. Grant Lillard (CB) – 66 - 70

11. Mikey Ambrose (LB/RB) – 67 – 70

N/R: John McCarthy, Drake Callendar

#8 New England Revolution

1. Matt Turner (GK)– 75 – 82

2. Henry Kessler (CB, DM) – 69 – 79

3. Teal Bunbury (FW) – 74 - 75

4. Kelyn Rowe (LAM) – 70 - 74

5. Justin Rennicks (FW) – 66 - 76

6. Andrew Farrell (CB, RB) – 71 - 72

7. Brandon Bye (RB, LB) – 69 - 72

8. Scott Caldwell (DM) – 68 - 70

9. DeJuan Jones (RB, RW) – 66 - 73

N/R: Isaac Angking, Brad Knighton, Jeff Caldwell, Damian Rivera, Seth Sinovic

#9 Toronto FC

1. Jozy Altidore (FW) – 77 - 77

2. Marky Delgado (DM) – 73 - 76

3. Quentin Westberg (GK) – 73 - 76

4. Justin Morrow (LB) – 71 - 71

5. Eriq Zavaleta (CB) – 68 - 72

6. Patrick Mullins (FW) – 70 - 70

7. Nick deLeon (RW) – 71 - 71

8. Griffin Dorsey (RW) – 65 - 75

9. Ayo Akinola (FW) – 68 - 78

10. Alex Bono (GK) – 73 - 78

11. Omar Gonzalez (CB) – 73 - 73

N/R: N/A

Injured: Michael Bradley

#10 FC Cincinnati

1. Frankie Amaya (MF) – 70 - 80

2. Greg Garza (LB) – 74 - 74

3. Joe Gyau (LW) – 71 - 71

4. Brandon Vasquez (FW) – 70 - 78

5.Kekuta Manneh (LW) – 69 - 76

6. Andrew Gutman (LB) – 69 - 76

7. Caleb Stanko (DM) – 70 - 73

8. Fatai Alashe (DM) – 69 - 72

9. Nick Hagglund (CB) – 67 - 72

N/R: Bobby Edwards, Saad Abdul-Salaam, Zico Bailey, Spencher Richey, Jimmy McLaughlin, Tommy McCabe

#11 Chicago Fire

1. Djordje Mihailovic (CM) – 73 - 80

2. CJ Sapong (FW) – 74 - 75

3. Kenneth Kronholm (GK) – 71 - 71

N/R: Bobby Shuttleworth, Jonathan Bornstein, Brandt Bonico, Mauricio Pineda, Connor Sparrow, Nicholas Slonina, Gabriel Slonina, Jeremiah Gutjahr, Andrew Reynolds

#12 Orlando City SC

1. Chris Mueller (RW) – 70 - 75

2. Dom Dwyer (FW) – 73 - 73

3. Daryl Dike (FW) – 67 - 78

4. Benji Michel (FW) – 67 - 78

N/R: Alex DeJohn, Brian Rowe, Kyle Smith, David Loera, Jordan Bender, Joey DeZart, Mason Stajduhar

#13 Montreal Impact

N/R: Evan Bush.

***THE WEST***

#1 Seattle Sounders

1. Jordan Morris (RW) – 78 - 82

2. Stefan Frei (GK) – 76 - 76

3. Cristian Roldan (CM) – 75 - 78

4. Danny Leyva (CM) – 66 - 82

5. Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez (FW) – 64 - 81

6. Miguel Ibarra (RW) – 70 - 70

7. Harry Shipp (LW) – 71 - 71

8. Shane O’Neill (CB) – 69 - 72

9. Will Bruin (FW) – 70 – 70

10. Trey Muse (GK) – 64 - 79

N/R: Alex Roldan, Steven Cleveland, Justin Dhillon

#3 Los Angeles FC

1. Tristan Blackmon (RB) – 70 – 74

N/R: Jordan Harvey, Alejandro Guido, Danny Musovski, Bryce Duke, Adrien Perez, Phillip Ejimadu

#3 LA Galaxy

1. Sebastian Lletget (MF) – 77 - 80

2. Julian Araujo (RB) – 68 - 82

3. David Bingham (GK) – 75 - 75

4. Joe Corona (MF) – 72 - 72

5. Perry Kitchen (DM) – 70 - 70

6. Ethan Zubak (FW) – 58 – 78

7. Daniel Steres (CB) – 67 – 70

N/R: Eric Lopez, Justin Vom Steeg, Cameron Dunbar, Sacha Kljestan, Nick DePuy,

Injured: Danilo Acosta

#4 FC Dallas

1. Paxton Pomykal (CM) – 76 - 86

2. Reggie Cannon (RB) – 76 - 83

3. Jesus Ferreira (FW) – 75 - 85

4. Brandon Servania (CM) – 71 - 81

5. Ricardo Pepi (FW) – 67 - 82

6 .Edwin Cerrillo (DM) – 69 - 79

7. Jesse Gonzalez (GK) – 75 - 82

8. Thomas Roberts (MF) – 67 - 80

9. Tanner Tessman (MF) – 64 - 78

10. Matt Hedges (CB) – 75 - 75

11. Ryan Hollingshead (LB, RB) – 74 - 74

12. John Nelson (LB) – 70 - 78

13. Fafa Picault (LW) – 73 - 73

N/R: Jimmy Maurer, Eddie Munjoma, Nkosi Burgess, Kyle Zobeck, Dante Sealy, Bryan Reynolds

#5 Sporting Kansas City

1. Gianluca Busio (CF) – 71 - 86

2. Matt Besler (CB) – 73 - 73

3. Graham Zusi (RB) – 73 – 73

4. Jaylin Lindsey (LB, RB) – 68 - 78

5. Tim Melia (GK) – 75 - 75

6. Khiry Shelton (FW) – 70 - 71

7. Wan Kuzain (DM) – 63 - 74

8. Tyler Freeman (FW) – 60 - 78

N/R: Amadou Dia, Graham Smith, Erik Hurtado, Felipe Hernandez, Cameron Duke, John Pulskamp

#6 Minnesota United

1. Mason Toye (FW) – 74 - 80

2. Tyler Miller (GK) – 75 - 80

3. Chase Gasper (LB) – 73 - 78

4. Ike Opara (CB) – 79 – 79

5. Hassani Dotson (MF, RB, LB) – 71 - 78

6. Jacori Hayes (MF) – 70 - 72

7. Ethan Finlay (RW) – 72 - 72

N/R: Aaron Schoenfeld, Marlon Hairston, Brent Kallman

#7 San Jose Earthquakes

1. Jackson Yuiell (DM) – 75 - 83

2. Nick Lima (LB, RB) – 74 - 77

3. JT Marcinkowski (GK) – 71 - 81

4. Tommy Thompson (RB) – 72 - 74

5. Chris Wondolowski (FW) – 71 - 71

6. Eric Calvillo (MF) – 65 - 75

7. Jacob Akanyirige (CB) – 65 -75

8. Cade Cowell (FW) – 60 - 78

N/R: Matt Bersano, Shea Salinas, Tanner Beason, Jack Skahan, Siad Haji, Gilbert Fuentes, Casey Walls, Luis Felipe, Emi Ochoa

#8 Real Salt Lake

1. Justen Glad (CB) – 74 - 80

2. David Ochoa (GK) – 70 - 84

3. Aaron Herrera (RB, LB) – 73 - 78

4. Corey Baird (FW) – 72 - 76

5. Donny Toia (LB) – 71 – 71

6. Nick Besler (MF) – 69 - 71

N/R: Kyle Beckerman, Chris Garcia, Zac MacMath, Tate Schmittt, Milan Iloski, Luis Arriaga, Justin Portillo, Sam Johnson, Andrew Putna, Erik Holt

#9 Colorado Rapids

1. Sam Vines (LB) – 73 – 80

2. Cole Bassett (MF) – 68 - 80

3. Keegan Rosenberry (RB) – 73 - 76

4. Auston Trusty (CB) – 71 - 77

5. Jonathan Lewis (LW) – 71 - 78

6. Kellyn Acosta (MF) – 73 - 75

7. Clint Irwin (GK) – 70 - 73

N/R: Drew Moor, Andrew Rawls, Jeremy Kelly, Kortne Ford

#10 Portland Timbers

1.Jeremy Ebobisse (FW) – 74 – 80

2. Jorge Villafana (LB) – 74 - 74

3. Eryk Williamson (MF) – 68 - 75

4. Steve Clark (GK) – 73 - 73

5. Jeff Attinella (GK) – 72 - 72

6. Marco Farfan (LB) – 66 - 72

N/R: Chris Duvall, Blake Bodily

#11 Nashville SC

1.Walker Zimmermann (CB) – 77 - 79

2. Jack Maher (DM, CB) – 69 - 79

3. Daniel Lovitz (LB) – 70 - 70

4. Derrick Jones (DM) – 69 - 74

5. Joe Willis (GK) – 69 - 73

6. Dave Romney (CB) – 70 - 72

7. Dax McCarty (MF) – 74 - 74

8. Eric Miller (RB, LB) – 71 - 71

N/R: Adrien Zendejas, Alan Winn, Matt LaGrassa, Taylor Washington, Tanner Dieterich, Luke Haakenson, Ken Tribbett, Jalil Anibaba, Elliot Panicco

#12 Houston Dynamo

1. Christian Ramirez (FW) – 73 - 75

2. Memo Rodriguez (LW) – 72 - 76

3. Tommy McNamara (RW) – 70 - 71

4. Zarek Valentin (RB, LB) – 72 - 72

N/R: Marcelo Palomino, Michael Nelson, Sam Junqua, Cody Cropper

#13 Vancouver Whitecaps

1.Jake Nerwinski (RB) – 72 - 73

DHC1 repped this.
  20. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Thanks! I will now look up FIFA scores for a benchmark...

21. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a quick comparison of how I’d rate these players against some DP’s and Dortmund as an example

Dortmund
    Haland 84 - 93
    Sancho 87 - 94
    Witsel 82 - 82
    Can 79 - 82
    Reyna 74 - 89
    Brandt 82 - 88
    Zagadou 83 - 89
    Hummels 83 - 83
    Piszczek 77 - 77
    Hazard 80 - 80
    Burki 81 - 81

Other MLS DP’s
    Vela 84 - 84
    Josef 83 - 83
    Pity 80 - 82
    Barco 78 - 87
    Pavon 78 - 84
    Chicharito 80 - 80
    Lodeiro 82 - 82
    Maxi Moralez 78 - 78

DHC1 repped this.
  22. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll say I like that system but I need to polish how I rate players...

23. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll say, the FC Dallas-Philadelphia match should be the most interesting match for US fans this weekend...

Surprisingly, Tessman starts for FC Dallas.

24. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    26. Let’s end this with a bit of news: Atlanta United has instituted a blanket policy against releasing players to national teams outside of official FIFA windows, a club spokesman confirmed to Yahoo Sports on Thursday. That means that unless U.S. under-23 national team coach Jason Kreis holds a roster spot open for him, starting center back Miles Robinson won’t play in next month’s Olympic qualifying tournament in Mexico.

The Five Stripes also refused to let their players participate in South America’s Olympic qualifying tourney and the senior U.S. team’s 2020 January camp.

25. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I swear some of these commentators make me wish I watching paint dry instead of listening to them talk.

approximately 5 minutes have gone by and the commentators for the Dallas-Philly game have not shut the ******** up about themselves. Talk about the game!