MLS Flavors of the week: 2019 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sombrerito, Dec 20, 2018.

1. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    MB captained the worst game played by NT and now the worst game played by MLS club in CCL.
    And I don't know in which game he was more useless. That's today's MB under pressure.
    I hope GB watched that.

2. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How’s Boyd look?

3. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Not good.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  4. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched most of the game, and he was TERRIBLE from the opening whistle. I mean, absolutely horrific. That Panamanian team clearly got the coaching message that if you pressure Bradley, he'll cough up the ball, again and again. What a difference from his play against Panama for the NT.

I mean TERRIBLE.

5. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like dog shit. Not to mention that he blasted his PK way the eff over the bar.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  6. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he was pretty anonymous and isolated until the PK. The PK was terrible. He made a few decent defensive plays and a nice pass to Osorio in the box. TFC looked a man short out there for most of the game.

Slightly harsh but I can see why you saw it that way.

7. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a bizarre signing. Boyd is a shell of his former self who had never proven to be all that good before the injuries. Peaked at Rapid Vienna and then was an unproductive bit player on a random club in the 2. BL. Then he's supposed to come in and save you on an intracontintental qualifier in a moderately better league? Their f.o. are way too nostalgic about US national teamers from days of yore.

Speaking of which, yeah, Bradley's performance against Panama B may well have been an illusion. I wanted to see him against Costa Rica to gauge if there was something to it because they're notoriously good at pressuring. May have hid him because they knew there was nothing to it and would have been exposed as the same player. Thought he tentatively worked himself back to the borderline. Definitely back under the borderline now, but I think Gregg will continue to waste his and our time with him based on his public comments and the associations.

majspike and IndividualEleven repped this.
  8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    - HollingsGOAT came in and helped turn things around for FCD. Spotless, outside a couple random TO's trying to act too quick in midfield. Sniffed out attacks at the back, tidy passing back there, and a factor on the overlap up front. FCD really takes him for granted. For another organization he'd be an international by now.

- Hayes does the basics again. Hard to notice. He did have a bad miss on an open net on an acute angle. But should have just trapped the ball and drawn it back because the keeper was out.

- Ferreira could give Hayes some finishing lessons. Cool finish to open the scoring. He nearly scored again on a breakaway where he split the keeper and defender on what led to that Hayes miss. Should have been an assist. Poor take on ability on the wing and mediocre physicality, but very smart passer and will put an honest effort in on pressures.

- Nelson played ahead of Cannon with mostly the 1's in the 2nd. Don't know if that means anything, but he was super cool passing out of the back and very alert defensive interventions. Color me intrigued.

- Roberts has to intrigue you as well. Still very raw and inconsisent, but he improved a lot from game-to-game. Another guy with meh physicality, but a lot of spunk, skilled with his left, has vision with a little time, and flair. Needs to play quicker, hit the simple ball more often, and develop his right.

- Pomykal played in the 1st, which I didn't see much of, but got the sense it was more of the same. Tidy but not overly creative. Announcers mentioned little was happening in the attack.

FCD will win a lot more than they lose and turn a considerable profit if they play enough domestics.

9. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and IndividualEleven repped this.
  10. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    does anybody else get the feeling this will be a bad year for MLS?

The CCL looks bleak.

playoffs will not feature a home and away series but will be a one game ko with game hosted by team with best record. The season will finish early.

The players brought in to start the season are not on par with past imports like Gio, the dude at Atlanta, Villa, etc.

Hopefully, MLS will learn all the right lessons and re-start with stronger impetus in 2020.

11. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Am I the only one disappointed that Kellyn Acosta was not sold for the reported 3.5M that was offered for his services by a Championship team recently? Apparently K.Acosta resigned thru 2022 with Colorado which means they could sell him if they want - and if K.Acosta agrees, I suppose. With a chance to peform in Championship, I think K. Acosta would have every opportunity to shine and get offers from EPL.

K.Acosta is the perfect export, imo. He would do really well in Championship. MLS made sure he had enough USMNT call ups to receive a work permit in UK without problem. Why not make the move?

12. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some “selling” league.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Kellyn could have let his MLS contract expire after this year and then move abroad like others have done. Instead he just signed a new long term deal. Am I supposed to feel bad for him now? I mean, the ball was in his court and HE chose to stay.

Worth mentioning that the 3.5 million dollar fee wasn't 3.5 million dollars to Colorado. FCD negotiated a substantial "sell on" fee (I can't remember the percentage) as part of the trade with Colorado. Then MLS would have taken their cut. So it wasn't 3.5 million to Colorado...………………….

I actually think FCD fleeced Colorado on that trade, but that's my opinion. They obtained a lot of assets...………………….

onefineesq repped this.
  14. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I’m not convinced that a move from MLS to the Championship is a good one. Feels lateral to me. I guess if there was a good chance at promotion that would be a consideration but one can Be sold to an EPL team from both MLS and championship teams.

15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why did TFC build that stadium expansion if they were going to follow it up with such a shitty roster.

Doubt that thing will be even half full most weekends.

16. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true but look at the regularity of sales to the EPL out of the championship vs the MLS. Very different.

Winoman and DHC1 repped this.
  17. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many of the multitude of Americans that have played in the Championship have been sold to EPL teams? I can't recall any right now.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  18. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    The only ones that I can think of that have gone to EPL have gone directly from MLS (or another European league) or they have arrived via promotion. The SPL is a better vehicle to get to the PL than the Championship.

19. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who Cares? Last I checked Toronto is in Canada.............

20. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ccl is a wash for various reason

i actually like the new schedule, there were too many 2 week-ish gaps without games for clubs

i like most of the playoff changes single elim will make regular seasons more important but they are letting in more teams, they should have kept it at 12

21. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    CCL should have started us off with a bang but they refuse to change the dates. they are adding more meaningless games with Mexican clubs mid/end season for some reason that befuddles me - it cheapens the currency, imo. The single elimination playoff format means half the teams may not have any home game at all in playoffs.

It would be interesting to see more flavors playing v. MexLeague players to give them more experience with international game but the games should be meaningful, not exhibition quality.

comoesa repped this.
  22. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Holy moly SKC is actually fun to watch. They look really good for preseason

23. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bello (and Robinson) starting for ATL against Herediano :)

Eleven Bravo, 50/50 Ball and onefineesq repped this.
  24. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wuuuuutttttt????!!!! Time for them to put up or shut up.

25. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a ball from Besler on the goal.

IndividualEleven repped this.