MLS Flavors of the week: 2019 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sombrerito, Dec 20, 2018.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Depends on what is meant by 'caution'. Don't start him in a World Cup Qualifier? That's reasonable.

He should certainly be called in for a friendly.

Patrick167 repped this.
  2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    A 40-team league divided along East-West lines would be fine.

3. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS West
    -Pacific: LA Galaxy, Los Angeles FC, Phoenix Rising, Las Vegas Lights, San Jose Earthquakes, Sacramento Republic, Seattle Sounders, Portland Timbers, Vancouver Whitecaps, San Diego

-Mountain: Colorado Rapids, Real Salt Lake, Houston Dynamo, Sporting Kansas City, FC Dallas, Houston Dynamo, Austin FC, Oklahoma City Energy, San Antonio FC, New Mexico United

MLS East
    -Midwest: FC Cincinnati, Columbus Crew, Minnesota United, Chicago Fire, Detroit, Indianapolis Eleven, Toronto FC, Montreal Impact, Louisville City FC, Saint Louis

-Atlantic: Atlanta United, Charlotte, Nashville SC, Inter Miami, Orlando City, DC United, Philadelphia Union, New York City FC, New York Red Bulls, New England Revolution

gunnerfan7 and IndividualEleven repped this.
  4. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Miami is going to give student a try, I like that move a lot more

5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Yeah, he doesn't need to be under the influence of Jozy and his protein shakes.

6. maroonlaw

maroonlaw Member

Mar 26, 2015
    I don’t really disagree with any of that, but I don’t think it’s responsive to my post. My post said history of yanks abroad recommended more caution in *projections* about Otasowie. I have no real problem with calling him up. “Caution” in my post doesn’t refer to taking a cautious approach to call ups, friendly, qualifier or otherwise.

My issue is with the logic of “if a player is getting token minutes with a name brand euro club, then he is good enough for the US.” He might be another Kamani Hill (9 first team appearances for Wolfsburg) or Will Packwood (21 appearances for Birmingham City). I hope he’s not, and am fine with giving him call ups to find out. In short, I’m talking about “caution” as to the hype.

007Spartan, Winoman and tomásbernal repped this.
  7. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm disappointed. I trust Vanney to give guys a chance and to coach them up. Maybe once Miami had a coach I'll feel better.

Dr.Phil repped this.
  8. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    largegarlic repped this.
  9. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good hire. Hopefully that brings out the best in some of the guys like Agudelo (just acquired for a 3rd rounder from TFC) and Keiswetter

10. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Seems like a good hire. Overall, though, I'm very underwhelmed with Miami. They're talking like it's some grand feat to get their supposed USL stadium in Ft. Lauderdale renovated by the start of the season, when they have no confirmation of a real stadium in Miami proper, no coach (officially), and a Cincinnati-level roster. I was hoping they'd be another LAFC or Atlanta, but it seems like we'll be lucky to get another Minnesota.

On the plus side, it looks like their poor roster construction will afford some more chances to more experienced US-eligible guys like Agudelo and Kiesewetter and less experienced ones like Acosta and Lillard, who likely wouldn't otherwise have gotten them.

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Packwood fracturing both his tibia and fibula likely altered the trajectory of his career.

I'm not sure anyone had been making this argument.

12. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, they have been. Why it's been in this thread about MLS flavors of the week, I do not know. But there have been several people who want Owen Otasowie to get called up on account of his appearance in one Europa League game for Wolverhampton.

maroonlaw repped this.
  13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I'm not sure that was the poster's point. Being good enough for a courtesy cap isn't the same as being good enough for the team.

That's Otasowie's performances in the PL2 and other competitions have been good enough to both merit interest from the giants and make the Wolves gameday rosters should be enough for the player to get a courtesy cap.

yurch10, DHC1 and USSoccerNova repped this.
  14. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    FFS.

It’s pretty simple - we don’t have a full squad of major league players and our coach has been calling in (AND STARTING) a large number of pedestrian, low-ceiling players (heavily biased but not exclusively towards MLS).

If that is the threshold for who is good enough for the USMNT, then yes, we should take a strong look at a teenager who is shooting up the ranks and got some time at a level that many preferred MLS players will never achieve. He’s also viewed as a top-tier prospect by many elite clubs.

does that means he’s going to be a sure fire USMNT player? Nope, but I’m guess he’s got a reasonable chance to be better than trapp and it’s ridiculous not to give long looks to high ceiling players perhaps on the cusp of breaking out. The person who get pushed out (if at all) should be fairly pedestrian, I’d guess.

the way that MLS fans here turn a blind eye to the facts on the ground in order to defend MLS and Berhalter is simply breath-taking: I wouldn’t be surprised to see a comment that it’s not like Berhalter’s keeping van Dijk from the squad as if that’s the level of the USMNT under Berhalter.

@IndividualEleven - this isn’t directed at you, if it wasn’t obvious.

yurch10 repped this.
  15. 007Spartan

007Spartan Member+

Mar 1, 2006
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wondering if he has actually committed to the US @ the senior level or if the Wolves would release him for the January camp?

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  16. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    he is still eligible for multiple national teams - he has attended a US youth camp. That is another reason to bring him into the fold sooner

17. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Lol look at you pushing for an 18 year old with one 15 min europa appearance to be our starting 6 for the next 15 years!!

Obviously in not so many words, but I'm reading between the lines here...we don't have time for this experimentation. We need to focus on experience for now. Once he is starting for Wolves for 4 years (over 2500 mins each season) then we can talk about giving him an exploratory cap.

Patrick167 repped this.
  18. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no break for EPL teams in January so don’t know why they would release him or why you would want to disrupt any possible opportunity with Wolves Sr team by bringing him into a January Camp.

Patrick167 and DHC1 repped this.
  19. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's unlikely to commit until he at least gets a call. I'd guess it would be highly doubtful that Wolves would release him for Jan Camp.

20. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't be such an absurdist. There are a lot of first team minutes between the 17 that he currently has and over 10,000. It's not good sarcasm when your reference is some bizarro non-existant standard that no one here has remotely ever suggested.

21. maroonlaw

maroonlaw Member

Mar 26, 2015
    You’re not. I think we’re just talking past each other. I was responding to the multiple paragraphs of posts about where Otasowie fits in our lineup, how he and Brooks would line up on corners, etc.

I don’t think you and I disagree on how Otasowie should be approached at all.

22. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    it shouldn’t require a law degree to figure out that saying how a prospect could fit into a USMNT lineup is nothing like saying that’s where he deserves to play now.

23. maroonlaw

maroonlaw Member

Mar 26, 2015
    OK. I think a discussion of whether Otasowie should line up as a center back or a six reasonably implies some immediacy and is premature. You’re right that a discussion of where Otasowie will or would start is not precisely a statement that he deserves to start.

So fair enough. No harm in daydreaming about where our prospects line up. It’s just a soccer forum. And specially an MLS prospects thread. So I’ll bow out of the off topic Otasowie (and law degree) discussion in this one.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  24. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States