MLS Flavors of the Week, 2018 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Jan 5, 2018.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    EPB didn't actually win the award, though. He did play 641 league minutes before transferring to Man City.

What was the Donovan policy? His early years coincided with poor growth in MLS. The last 5 years have seen strong growth in average attendance. Average attendance in 2016 was 68% higher than in 2001, his first year in the league.

2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Wow that's a really strong argument. I change my mind. Forget what I said.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Whatever it takes to save face, bro.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    EPB was the MVP of the CONCACAF tournament, and essentially a consensus best XI player at the U-20 WC. Rarely do defenders win MVP of any tournament, so that should be taken into consideration. If the USA had advanced towards the end of the tournament, he could've won player of the tournament.

He was our best player in qualifying and at the U-20 WC, and I didn't think it was even close.

Ghost repped this.
  5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    In other words, he did not win a major award at the U20 WC.

6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    No, he got a contract with ManCity instead.

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Exactly. SKC did well by him.

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    IndividualEleven and butters59 repped this.
  9. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    So, could someone post a U.S. MLS best 11? I'd be curious.

--------------------Sapong
    ----------------------------------Jozy
    ---------------------X
    X-----------------------------------------------X
    ------------------Bradley

-X-------------Besler-----X--------------X

-------------------------T Ho

What else ya got?

Baysider and USAMEX10 repped this.
  10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    -------------------Sapong---------------
    --------------------Rowe---
    --Picault---Bedoya--Nagbe---Adams---
    --------------------Bradley------
    ----------Besler--Opara--Farrell
    --------------------Steffen---

Sapong--Best runner off the ball, of any MLS-based strikers
    Rowe--has a promising record as a am/cm at club level. looked good in his US GC
    appearances though those were out wide
    Picault--has a good work-rate, excellent productivity, and otherworldly speed.
    his technical skills, which are somewhat lacking for an attacking role, won't be a hindrance at wingback.
    Farrell--has done well at RB and CB for the Revs. Last season he improved his fitness considerably.

deuteronomy and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS 2018 prediction

Goalkeepers:
    Favorite: Zack Steffen

Contenders: Alex Bono, Sean Johnson, Tim Melia

Lookout: David Bingham

Position Grade: B -

Comments: Steffen showed at the end of last season, why he is the goalkeeper to be most excited about. And, we need him to be. Never before has goalkeeper looked so bleak. Melia, on the other hand, was a beast last year, but projecting out, I don’t see him taking the top spot. I don’t see any big surprises for emerging players... if there is one, it’ll be the resurgence of David Bingham.

Right Backs:
    Favorite: Matt Polster

Contenders Andrew Farrell, Jakob Nerwinski, Marlon Hairston, Keegan Rosenberry

Lookout: Reggie Cannon

Position Grade: D

Comments: going into 2017, I was thrilled over Rosenberry. However, 2017 turned out to be a dud for him and for American right Backs in MLS. Case in point, Matt Polster is the best we have to offer. That said, 2018 could see a star be born in 2018 with Reggie Cannon... pressure is high, but we should all be excited, at least for today.

Left Backs
    :
    Favorite: Danilo Acosta

Contenders: Justin Morrow, Greg Garza, Brandon Vincent, Nick Lima

Lookout: Marco Farfan

Position Grade: C+

Comments: Justin Morrow has been the best left back in MLS for some time now, but I think he’s going to lose his grip on that title this year, to a player who looks poised to become international quality in Danilo Acosta. That said, I’m still a fan of Garza but he’s injured so much, and the rest is kind of...meh. On the flip side, Farfan, showed glimpses last year but then kind of fizzled; nonetheless, let’s all hope he builds in 2018.

Center Backs:
    Favorites: Justen Glad

Contenders: Matt Hedges, Walker Zimmerman, Matt Besler, Ike Opara, Tim Parker, Aaron Long

Lookout: Tomas Hilliard-Arce, Miles Robinson, Austin Trusty, Tommy Redding

Position Grade: B

Comments: Opara and Besler are the two best defenders going into 2018, but my money is on Glad emerging as the best at the end of it. Speaking of, I don’t predict RSL will win anything this year, but I do expect them to be much improved from last year, with Glad leading that charge. Then, the usual suspects will contend, and we could see bigger roles/performance out of Miles, Redding, Trusty, etc.

Center Midfielders:
    Favorite: Darlington Nagbe

Contenders: Michael Bradley, Marco Delgado, Cristian Roldan, Kellyn Acosta, Wil Trapp, Tyler Adams, Russell Canouse, Perry Kitchen

Lookout: Chris Durkin, Chris Goslin

Position Grade: A-

Comments: Center Mid looks to be our most competitive position on the field for American talent in MLS. Really, about anyone on that list could emerge as a favorite, but I’m projecting Nagbe. He has the raw talent and is finally in a position and club where his best qualities will shine. We could even see the emergence of Goslin/Durkin.

Att.Midfielders/Wingers
    Favorite: Paul Arriola

Contenders: Kelyn Rowe, Seb Lletget, Lee Nguyen, Benny Feilhaber, Sacha Kljestan, Brooks Lennon, Ethan Finlay, Fafa Picault

Lookout: Eryk Williamson, Jackson Yeuill, Andrew Carleton, Jonathan Lewis, Paxton Pomykal

Position Grade: C-

Comments: it’s disheartening the complete lack of quality in this department for American players in MLS. And, we are counting on a player to shine who was out an entire season. After that, Rowe is about the only under 30 MLS regular worth a damn. Thus, Paul Arriola is so far away from this competition that he’s in a one man race. Let’s hope and pray for Carleton to get in Tata’s good graces. The silver lining, Lennon projects to be a solid prospect.

Forwards:
    Favorite: Jozy Altidore

Contenders: CJ Sapong, Gyasi Zardes, Dom Dwyer, Jordan Morris, Jozy Agudelo

Lookout: Jeremy Ebobisse, Brandon Vasquez, Ayo Akinola, Jesus Ferreira

Position Grade: C+

Comments: We can want all that we can want, but Jozy is still the best American forward in MLS. Sapong is emerging as serviceable, but don’t expect much. Dwyer needs to get his act together in Orlando. And, Morris, Agudelo, and Zardes are the definition of vanilla. Of the possible faces that could emerge, I’m most hopeful right now about Vasquez. To be honest, I’m as about as hopeful about Vasquez as most here are about Carleton. He’s got the raw skills, he seems hungry, and he’s showing early that he’s ready to score. The question is will Tata put him on the field.

Therefore, my best XI at the start of the 2018 season. (Not my USMNT XI I would start, forcing players into positions)

———Altidore—Arriola————-
    —Nagbe——Rowe——Adams—
    ——————Roldan——————
    D.Acosta————————Parker
    ————Glad——-Opara————
    ——————-Steffen——————

neems, deuteronomy and largegarlic repped this.
  12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    On Matchday 1 of the 2008 MLS Regular Season, Approx 79 of a total 132 starters were US-eligible. Approx 39 of the 79 were midfielders or forwards(i.e., attackers).

On Matchday 1 of the 2017 MLS Regular Season,
    Approx 102 of a total 242 starters were US-eligible. Approx 36 of the 102 were midfielders or forwards(i.e., attackers).

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Can we be upfront about what this argument is because its not what it might appear to be? Your opinion is valid, but the stats tell a few stories, not just that one.

You are saying that there are more or just as many Americans playing now as there were nearly 10 years ago. That is factually true, but what else is factually true is that there are more spots available because there are more teams. It is also true that the percentage of American starters from those numbers has dropped about 18% in that time-span for all players, and about 14% for attackers.

The reason why I think the situation has gotten worse instead of better (or the same) via there being more teams is that we now see a system where there is not an equal split in these numbers per team, its actually very segmented. Atlanta (347) and Dallas (151) (the two premier academies in the USA) gave American "attackers" 498 total MLS minutes last season. The attacker spots occupy 36% of the spots on a football pitch. If a team had played one game where only Americans were used in the front four, they would give them 360 minutes, thats more than either team gave to Americans individually over the course of 34 games.

Those teams don't want to use American attackers. The numbers tell that story. The problem comes from a situation like the current one where you have players like Pomykal and Carleton, probably the two best young Americans in the league, play attacking positions for those two teams who have shown they don't want to use Americans for the attacking positions. What are these players supposed to do? The MLS (and US) system limits the movement of players to different clubs within MLS, and the FIFA system limits the movement of most Americans abroad based on a precedent that has almost zero relation to American players. It creates a situation where some either get really lucky or really unlucky, depending on the MLS academy they came through or the different passports they possess.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Gotta love TFC's chances in CCL. They have made the investments in personnel and preparation. They're now truly two-deep in each position, except Seba's.

15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The post wasn't an 'argument'.

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Thats an interesting set of facts then.

Either way, I should just add to my post to make clear, teams couldn't circumvent the roster rules 10 years ago to anywhere near the extent that they can now. It means that they had to give Americans minutes, whether its the journeyman or young American. It doesn't mean that young Americans would've been guaranteed significant minutes, but it wouldn't have created a situation where they start off as the reserves who just can't stack up to the resumes that the foreigners that were brought in (who teams have a bigger financial commitment to) had, and therefore will only be given a chance if they are the last player available in the squad.

17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    ---------------Giovinco/Hamilton--Altidore/Ricketts
    ---------------------------Vazquez/Chapman
    -----------Aketxe/Osorio----------------Delgado/Hasler
    -------------------------------Bradley/Fraser
    ---Morrow/Morgan----------------------------------------VDW/Auro
    -----------------Mavinga/Hagglund---Moor/Zavaleta---
    -----------------------------------Bono/Irwin

the first mls ccl champs?

18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Green cards existed 10 years ago. But the salaries of that time were simply too low to attract high numbers of talented foreigners.

These are the salaries of the 2008 MLS Cup Champs, the Columbus Crew:

Guillermo Barros Schelotto $425,000 Frankie Hejduk 175,000 Eddie Gaven 165,000 Chad Marshall 125,000 Alejandro Moreno 131,000 Brian Carroll 122,500 126,250 Nicolas Hernandez 100,000 Stefani Miglioranzi 84,200 Duncan Oughton 75,600 Ezra Hendrickson 72,000 William Hesmer 70,000 Danny O'Rourke 69,148 Jason Garey 60,625 Robbie Rogers 57,500 Andy I ro 53,500 Leonard Griffin 45,500 Jed Zayner 43,800 Brad Evans 33,000 Andy Gruenebaum 33,000 Adam Moffat 17,700 Brandon Moss 17,700 Kenny Schoeni 17,700 Kevin Burns 12,900 George Josten 12,900 Ryan Junge 12,900 Ryan Miller 12,900

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #44 IndividualEleven, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Schellotto, by far the highest paid player on the '08 Crew, would have only had the third highest salary on the team with 2017's lowest payroll, the Houston Dynamo.

Frankie Hejduk, the next highest paid player, and a WC veteran, would have only had the 17th highest salary on the '17 Dynamo, who again had that season's lowest payroll!

20. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The American MLS player is now having to compete with talented foreigners for that mountain of cash that is piling up. A lot of those Crew players would not make it in today's league.

21. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect Zardes to make a somewhat drastic improvement tactically under Berhalter.

22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Tactical nous was never really an issue Zardes.

frankburgers repped this.
  23. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was at striker.

24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He scored 16 goals at forward in a season in which he was paired with a good partner.

25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Berhalter likes forwards who lead the line and play in front of his beloved Higuaín. I don't see Zardes leading the line.

Zardes is a midfielder who plays defense positionally to close off passing lanes while being in position to counter - like Donovan, i.o.w. With the ball from the midfield position he can pass long with his powerful leg or run from the inside out and cross from the forward wing area, either left or right, from wide positions, if necessary. otoh, if the ball is not in his area he can run into the channels and play trailing (second striker) option,especially because he can hit good shots from top of the box or run to the far post for headers and tap ins.

I'm surprised to see him at Columbus.