MLS Flavors of the Week, 2017 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing him a RB would be a bad decisions. He is very limited there

truefan420 repped this.
  2. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #102 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    Winoman repped this.
  3. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    edcrocker repped this.
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm so glad they brought in another player to take playing time away from Tommy Redding. I think Kreis should be off any "next USMNT manager". I think he's the most overrated American manager there is. What has he done the last few seasons? Nothing.

6. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A NT coach doesnt develop players

7. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Atlanta are doing some nice team building. Probably the wrong place for this but ill say Greg Garza just to qualify.

keller4president repped this.
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Check the edit. I added a sentence to explain why I don't think he'd do well with the NT. Getting fired by NYCFC, and missing the playoffs with Orlando isn't all that impressive.

Besides, he came in last season while Redding was injured, didn't seem to care that Redding was the only Orlando CB who had played half-decent football, talked a big game about Redding's potential, and then went with mediocre foreign CB's. Orlando missed the playoffs because of their CB's, yet Kreis got it wrong with his CB's. They had the worse defense in the league.

I don't like how Kreis acts like a Championship RB is going to walk into a worse league and solve all of Orlando's defensive problems when he had a CB he wouldn't even use that would help their defensive problems even more. Spector isn't even an option for the USMNT, why will he solve Orlando's defensive problems? Seems like a backward thinking move.

9. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    I hope he pans out. Orlando are the closest MLS team to me and its been pretty painful. Atlanta seem to be serious though. Hope to see. Vazquez, Carleton, Goslin.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    If you wanna talk about young players and Jason Kreis, just think about two words: Luis Gil.

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Kreis did well with Tony Beltran and Chris Schuler. Gil simply wasn't an amid and will likely need to retool as a d-mid.

12. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or just maybe from watching over months of practice and play he just doesn't have what it takes yet for the next step.

13. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your agenda based bashing of Major League Soccer coaches because they rate your favorite players a bit differently than you, is nasty and tiresome.

COMtnGuy and keller4president repped this.
  14. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Im really liking what Darren Eales is doing right now. Any chance we can switch him with Sunlil? Too soon?

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #115 ussoccer97531, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    So practice is more important than games? Redding was their best CB in the games that were played.

Thats a cop out from discussing Kreis's merits as a NT manager.

Fair or not, Kreis gets a reputation from his prior resume. His last two stints in MLS have not been good. Missed the playoffs with NYCFC, missed the playoffs with Orlando. And I don't know why American fans wouldn't hold it against him that he talked a big game about Redding and then didn't deliver. We are talking about the absolute worst defense in MLS, and he decided that the only player of that CB group who was having a good season was the one he'd remove from the lineup. Do you think thats good coaching? The solution is to bring in another has been?

16. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    20 yr old CB who is weak in the air. What coach wouldn't look to solidify things and bring in more experience to the back line?

17. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Generally I think that exposure to genuinely good coaching leads to early career growth. So on that front Gil is not a good data point, but it's just one guy and there can be individual factors at play.

18. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #118 deuteronomy, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    Tommy Redding's record last season as a starter for Orlando City was 3-4-9.

He started one match after August 28th, a match where they gave up four goals at home to Columbus.
    Redding was also subbed off at halftime in Orlando's July 4th, 0-4 loss against Dallas. Two games after this match, Adrian Heath was fired and Redding did not play in 6 consecutive matches.
    He played 1346 minutes out of a possible 3060, that works out to be less than 45% of the total potential minutes.

Insisting Redding was the best defender for Orlando is bizarre enough, pretending Kreis is his problem, because he brought in Jonathan Spector to strengthen the defense is bizarro World reasoning.

If anything, Kreis is replacing one of the two central defenders who started 34 of the potential 38 matches who closed out the season. Four of these non starts for Redding came after the Dallas debacle, while Heath was still the coach.

There is substantial evidence that Redding was offered a chance early and, at best, failed to step up. The coach who played him more was fired. Redding was on the field during Orlando's two worst losses of their season and then went 6 and 8 matches following these losses without playing.

Redding has been Redding's problem, not Kreis.

Mr Martin, COMtnGuy and Marko72 repped this.
  19. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Redding is timid. He didnt have much help though. No protection. Average keeper(at best). Sold the best cb. Cluster***

20. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now on paper it looks like Atlanta is building a juggernaut, and Minnesota will get ragdolled. but that's why we play the game.

It even looks like a solid offseason for Chicago. I suspect itll be between Minnesota and San Jose for the wooden spoon this year. San Jose has done next to nothing to address their issues, only commendable thing was they didn't screw up the draft and drafted the BPA in Yueill. Whether he plays or not is another question. They brought Cummings in but he looks like just a guy,. and have done absolutely nothing to address their problems on the flank or in the attack.

21. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Im excited about what Atlanta is doing. I really would like to see teams competing for ccc.

22. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. SportsFan2011

SportsFan2011 Member

Jan 16, 2012

To be fair, Redding was subbed out in that July 4th game due to a pulled hamstring, resulting in not playing again for six consecutive matches. He was injured during Heath's tenure and not healthy again until Kreis had already taken the helm, at which time a new signing (Aja) had been brought aboard and paired with Mateos and seemed to be doing quite well, sans the LA Galaxy game, where 4 goals were given up. It would have been nice to have a solid, veteran defender to mentor Redding and Donovan (who hasn't sniffed the first team since his injury, which is concerning considering Orlando's complete shambles in the back).

FeedhimtothepigsArold repped this.
  24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You are seriously misleading people. How many Orlando games did you watch? What were your observations of Redding in those games? If you want to make this about deceiving stats, I could do the same, but I won't. I am giving my opinion based on what I watched, and what I read from those who did watch.

25. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    True