MLS Flavors of the Week, 2016 Edition

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Jan 13, 2016.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We produce better center-backs than attackers. Carroll really hurt his stock at the combine. Probably would've been a late 1st prior to the combine, but had a knee injury at the combine, which he played through, and he played poorly. If Miazga goes, I think he might get a chance to play. The other CB they drafted might also have a chance for playing time right away. They'll probably bring in another CB if Miazga leaves, but they have a lot of competitions to play. These rookie CB's could get some PT.

Seiler, I don't know. Might have to be really good right away. There seems to be an open spot at RB, maybe Parker plays that position, maybe the Costa Rican player plays it or maybe Seiler gets a chance. They have such good CB depth, that he's unlikely to get a chance at CB.

2. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't think he's good enough to really threaten Lletget and Zardes.

But it further puts the nail in the coffin of their academy prospects. You didn't name Lassiter. He regularly gets ignored, even though he had a strong campaign in USL and is a dynamic player w/ pedigree. I really wish he and Villarreal would be moved. They're stockpiling young talent, then overriding them with a vet directive. Should have pared down the vets, especially up front. Instead it's like they're doubling down. They were killing fools in the attack before Gio and Gerrard came in. Part of that was Lletget. Like I said, I don't think Boateng effects him, but I do worry he'll get forced deeper again, but I've laid it out, and Lletget can still work as the most advanced CM in a 4-3-3.

kba4life repped this.
  3. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're hating on Vincent on the Fire forum, not thinking he's ready to play right away merely because he's a rookie, and are bemoaning the fact his acquisition led to the loss of Joevin Jones. I think they are in for a rude awakening/pleasant surprise, and I'd have been irritated had they held onto Jones after drafting Vincent. It would be surplus, and blocking a talent, something they are in no position to do with how little of it they have. They got allocation money for the trade down for Vincent, also for Jones, in addition to Campbell. Now I think it comes down to how they use that allocation money. I think they understandably are worried he won't because their owner is cheap, but I think in isolation they handled draft day beautifully, don't you?

I think you're sleeping on Hodan as another candidate to emerge in MLS as a national team prospect, and sooner rather than later. Even though the Quakes have a ton of players, most of whom have a pulse, I think he can provide something that they're lacking, which is creativity in the midfield, especially centrally. Every time I've seen Pelosi, he's just pumped balls around. They've been non-descript performances. Not creating off the dribble, with incisive passes, or finishing. Those are things that Hodan can do. I think he was slept on because he moved back to d-mid to accommodate Notre Dame, it's hard to stand out there, and it's not close to his best position. Draft Utopia does the only mock I know that updates throughout the year, and in their final one they had him 7th, #3 American, and this was their caveat to his production drop-off:

Hodan only had 3 goals, 6 assists, and 12 points in 2015, but he spent the regular season perfecting his game as a defensive midfielder. Notre Dame had 10 shutouts in the 2015 season due to Hodan's rapid improvement in blocking shots and playing defense. If you count two exhibition games, Notre Dame has 12 shutouts in 2015.

I think he was being talked about as around a top 5 pick after his previous season. Somewhat of a Cameron-esque victim of versatility to keep an eye on if he can break through all those San Jose bodies. The versatility will at least help him get on the field. Cameron was drafted 42nd.

4. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're characterizing him as an 8, when he's really a 10. He's not really agile or defensive-minded enough to play the 8 very well, and it limits him being on the edge of the box for shooting and killer pass attempts. He was posting 7's (well above average) on WS in each of the 4 games as a 10 before the DP's came aboard. So I'd come at it from the POV of who needs a 10.

It's certainly not like a Dallas with Diaz there. Actually, Colorado does make plenty of sense, because Powers' best work came as a #8, Mix as a 10. They would complement each other. RSL, I agree with, because Morales is ancient. I think you'd look at primarily non-playoff teams because not having a player like him to connect defense and offense is a big reason why they weren't playoff teams. By the same token, at a higher level internationally, that's partly why we disproportionately suck. We aren't playing a real 10, and when we play Mix, it's seldom as a 10 these days. A high majority of the playoff teams made in part because they have as good as or better of a 10 than Mix, and the ones that didn't like DCU, I'm not confident they'd know how to use one.

6 ft. Leprechaun repped this.
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think Vincent will be the rookie of the season. He's the player in the draft that has impressed me the most, and he plays LB.

As for Hodan, I was considering him as a player who could get some minutes right away because he does have a lot of talent, but Kinnear doesn't like to use young players, the odds of a 2nd round pick even making the team aren't that high and he did have a really bad senior season, after a very good junior season.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He's supposedly not on the trade block, thats what Twellman said, but I don't know if I believe that.

7. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't have a really bad senior season though. That was explained. He played well in his new, less stat-producing position. It's not even like Juan not impressing at attacking mid. :D

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Did you watch the games? I'm just going off of what I've read.

9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even without Harrison, he had utilization issues there. I guess there's a good chance he's playing right wing or whatever the f**k again. If I'm one of the smaller market and/or non playoff teams, looking for a low budget, borderline DP, and a spark for my offense, I'm giving NYCFC a call. They can have allocation money to finally add a defender.

10. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw a game of his this past year. I think what you've read is from cats reading stats. I'm pretty sure the dude updating a mock regularly on Draft Utopia is basing his opinion he didn't actually have an off season, just played less of a stat-centric position, on some observation. And it stands to reason with a position change away from your best, and to that particularly one, doesn't it? He didn't move from CAM/WAM to striker. He went in the opposite direction.

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think it was either Doyle or Yardley at MLSSoccer.com, but I really don't know the truth, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Joevin Jones is awful. Vincent is much better.

13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    TFC have made strong moves this off-season to especially shore up the backline. The potential starting lineup should see them advance further than last year's inaugural playoffs.

---------------gio---------jozy--
    --------------------osorio--
    ----------johnson---------bradley----
    -------------------cheyrou----
    ------morrow----------------beitashour
    --------------perquis----moor--
    --------------------irwin----

jozy and bradley should be well positioned to have spectacular seasons.

14. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    They've gotta get rid of Perquis ASAP.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Perquis was ok. I thought to biggest problem for last season's tfc was the lack of a good press from the midfield and forwards.

16. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This looks like a team that will struggle to get into the playoffs.

17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Are TFC getting transferred to the Western Conference? They won't struggle in the East. They should finish top-3.

18. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cheyrou simply isn't stout enough down the middle. That is a huge issue for me. Otherwise they have a solid team. They just need a rangy DM.

19. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quakes outside backs, together again.

20. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yeah, an underrated aspect of what was working for SJ in their SS season. That will be a strength of TFC. But the central defense and and DM is still an issue, which means they're weak down the middle: the worst place on the pitch to be weak. One of the worst starters in the league next to a guy who good but long in the tooth and frequently injured, behind a DM that simply doesn't have the legs. I think they'll have most of the same issues they had last year. They'll score against practically anyone, but they'll concede against everyone.

21. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just got to thinking about another potential interesting GK situation down in Orlando. Earl Edwards looks like he will be given the chance to be given the starting gig there. Will be nice to see him put in some good shifts and have another nice USMNT option there if he does well.

22. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, guess our GK bar is really low to get a guy not even in top 5 college GK ranks this draft to get his name tossed into USMNT consideration.

23. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #48 OWN(yewu)ED, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    well, youre a Colorado type, Mr. MacMath looks like hes starting there too. another one to keep an eye on.

and he wasn't in this draft, he was in the 2015 draft. He was the third GK taken there, behind Alex Bono and Tyler Miller. That "board" was a consensus Bono was the top of the draft, and after him was a cluster open to interpretation, albeit in a very , very good GK class, possibly the best ever (Bono, Wolverton, Richey, Miller, Gomez......the first three still with their clubs)

24. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will gladly take Irwin back for MacMath, nothing against MacMath but we have seen Irwin already save our pathetic bacon countless times.

deuteronomy repped this.
  25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh yeah, it was the same for the quakes with Busch, and before him Cannon, i know the feels. Try and be patient with MacMath, we were calling for Bingham's head pretty early on before he turned good, best advice i can give with him. He could turn good for oyu guys.