MLS Flavors of the Week, 2015 Edition [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Previous reports had him refusing trials and turning down English clubs too:

http://www.onceametro.com/2015/11/5...-new-york-red-bulls-leicester-city-stoke-city

The entire article is well worth a read and we won't spoil it by giving away all its details, but the eye-catching news is the identity of specific Premier League clubs that have approached Miazga: the report names Leicester City, Stoke City and Chelsea. The story doesn't specify when these offers were received, though it implies they may have arrived in the wake of Miazga's impressive work for the USA U-20s at the U-20 World Cup earlier this year.
    The defender turned them all down - for now (as far as we know, he is keeping his club options open and has thus far resisted RBNY's efforts to get him to sign a new contract).

Nov 5, 2015, 10:55a

----
    I think kid wants to stay in America. Probably it's better to be in North America than in Europe when the Nuclear World War starts.

deuteronomy repped this.
  2. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    There seem to be lots of rumors about Inter's Ranocchia.

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The IFFHS --that, whatever the controversies, is recognized by the FIFA, hence giving the closest thing to official rankings for clubs and leagues-- has published it's Top 40 Leagues in the World ranking.

MLS does not make the list. Only Liga MX makes it, from CONCACAF (#20). Apparently, the Costa Rica league is above MLS at this point, although the full list is not available.

http://iffhs.de/the-strongest-league-in-the-world-2015/

"For other football continents, Mexican Primera División is the best for CONCACAF area, ahead of Costa Rica and USA again."

It should be noted they consider a whole average strength for leagues, so leagues with only one or two super-teams suffer when compared to others with several strong teams, even if it has no super-teams. Also, they take hugely in consideration results in continental competitions.

Since the Bundesliga is basically The Bayern Show, that cost them points and makes Serie A finish on top of them (Juve made the Champions final last summer). That also explains why MLS is below the Ticos: only two MLS clubs made quarters in the last CCL, while three CRC clubs did.

As for clubs, no MLS club made the Top 200 once again:

http://iffhs.de/club-world-ranking-2015/

And only the two best teams in the region, Tigres and America, made the list.

PS: Tigres making the Libertadores final takes it to #16 in the world, which I think it's the highest ever for a North American club in this ranking.

4. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    It still seems to me that this system bases its rankings on the strength of the top teams, I thought when I last saw the methodology that was both explicit and implicit. MLS may not be in the top 30 or even 40 but I think I've seen big soccer posters come up with better cross league ranking methodologies.

blacksun and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  5. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's really not worth putting any stock in IFFHS rankings, whether they say good things or bad things about the clubs/leagues you care about. If someone chooses to believe that MLS is worse than leagues in Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Scotland, Serbia, Slovakia, Saudi Arabia, Bulgaria, Cyprus, and others on that list, they are welcome to do so. But it doesn't pass the smell test for me.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Hmm... a Moroccan club made the final of the FIFA '13 CWC, not to mention that Asian and African teams seem to routinely do better than MX clubs in that competition.

I don't really follow African or Asian leagues (beyond the casual A/J/K-League games), but if the Champion from Mexico cannot beat those clubs, and we cannot beat the Mexicans, there is a rather good argument to place those leagues above ours.

In short, it's not enough to spend a lot on past glories and to have full stadiums and good coverage. We need to start producing at least at the continental level. Otherwise, we're going to be a huge joke, much worse than the EPL is right now.

7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    draft coming up, and a good bed after his hats callup Vincent falls no further than #2 in the draft, could even overtake Yaro as the number one.