MLS Flavors of the Week, 2015 Edition [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I didn't think he looked all that good in college. Not major league anyway. Just wasn't seeing it.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  2. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I can certainly relate to those experiences, although I've never played at a level as high as you apparently have. But I certainly understand the sentiment. The USMNT is the first "soccer team" I was ever introduced to, so I get that too. I just care more about the culture, knowledge and love of the game growing in this country than I care about making foreign douchebags eat crow. In general, I find spite to be poor motivator for putting lots of effort into anything but more importantly, I realize that there is no way to achieve the sort of accomplishments on the national stage that would command the prestige and respect US fans seem to want without first establishing a culture, knowledge and understanding of the game that comes from watching it week in and out.

But I'm curious generally why people believe that winning a WC -- which would require us to have elite talent at all positions -- is within our grasp, but that having a top domestic league with teams fielded by Americans with elite talent is not.

3. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    You don't like him hitting the ref from 6 yards?

4. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I think the US already has a solid, albeit 2nd tier, league but do agree that we are behind all of these more established countries you listed. I don't know that we'll win a championship in my lifetime but do agree with 538's analysis that we're making slow but steady progress.

My general take is that it's hard to change the nexus of a well-established sport so I don't see the other professional sports (football, basketball, baseball, hockey) moving the world's best players away from the US and I don't see it happening in soccer either but I've got no clairvoyance other than taxes are going up.

5. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    FYI he's only 18 years old and is eligible for the next U20's.

6. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Even for 18 years old there is no reason to put that in highlights.

7. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The disciplinary committee has suspended Jermaine Jones six matches for the Matt Geiger playoff incident:

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/ins...x-matches-referee-incident-mark-geiger-121115

If Jones signs a new deal with MLS, then his suspension starts at the outset of the 2016 regular season in March. The timing ensures he will miss the expected pair of games in the annual January camp and suggests he will also miss the World Cup qualifiers against Guatemala on March 25 (Guatemala City) and 29 (Columbus, Ohio) as well.

If Jones signs in another country, then his suspension carries over to his new team, per FIFA guidelines, and starts in the first league game after he is registered. The timing in that instance still rules him out of the January matches, but it likely ensures his availability for the dates against Guatemala.

8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good call on Brandon Vincent. I was really impressed with his offensive and defensive anticipation, poise, strength, touch, short space passing, runs, and crossing. Not really a blazer, but I'd say his speed is solid. It appears enough to not be an impediment to reach any level. I didn't see any obvious weaknesses. In spite of having a plethora of better LB options than the old standards of Jonathan Bornstein now, none seem ideal individually in terms of projection, and it's 2.5 years from the World Cup, so it wouldn't surprise me if Vincent emerges as the guy. If he was in Europe, scouted domestically, and didn't have to deal with our typical WP/non EU problems, I would definitely see a top 5 league team signing him to a contract. We aren't the only ones with problems at LB.

Vincent might be more impressive than Morris, who had his moments with that outside right boot and runs (a couple he might have been jobbed on w/ questionable offsides'), but that never using his left foot is a real problem, man. It would frustrate the hell out of me if I were his coach. Great kid, smart, confident, good physical tools, runs, right foot, but goldammit go somewhere and drill that left foot night and day. Apparently he has a big offer from a Bundesliga club, but it could be a shaky transition. They aren't going to want to develop you. He is too predictable on the ball and hinders way too many passing and dribbling opportunities by waiting on the ball until he can get to his right foot. Worsens angles, loses the moment, and the final balls are super inconsistent. The outside of right foot passes and shots are incredibly accurate for that discipline, but it's inferior. Didn't look like a college star let alone a senior national teamer in this game. Gotta wait for these guys to develop and prove more before giving them these opportunities at the expense of others. I half got caught up in the hysteria after the several appearances w/ the national team before seeing those glaring 1 or 2 deficiencies (his touch is kind of heavy too, but not that bad).

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    What'd you think of Hilliard-Arce, Baird and Bashti?

10. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Of course he created the single best chance of the night with an outside of the right foot throughball. He'll play low crosses with his left but opts for the outside of the right to put them in the air, has to be able to pull the trigger on that more quickly and work on a fake and cutback.

As far as level of involvement goes this is the type of player he is. He's a FW, he needs guys to play into him, Verso and Baird barely got him the ball in good situations. When he gets the ball he still does more than most players to trouble defenses. Both teams struggled until Akron came on a little in the second half and then things opened up in extra time.

Just off this game I don't think that anyone stood out as a future national team player, maybe U23 camp guys.

11. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Watched more of the final four NCAA than is good for any sane person but it seemed to me the best player not named Morris was Souders in terms of who has the game we need and he played left back. His positioning is superb, his read on offense and defense is equally good and his release makes Dan Marino look slow which makes him a great partner for Fabian. The question, I guess, is how well his athleticism translates to next level. Klinsmann should call him into camp and measure him against other left backs. He could also play in midfield for u23's. Klinsmann should like him because he can play the compact formation Klinsmann talks about, 30 m front to back lines. He captained the U17 team Serna played on. Brooks Souders, Fabian - that's building a passing team.

Let's hope Souders ends up on a team that plays his kind of football even if he doesn't have the chops in camp to get a spot with internationals.

12. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Crew have his HG rights.

13. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He isn't a Berhalter type player.

I believe he was called up to the combine? Not sure if HG rights apply but would be interested to know if yes.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/ser...-adidas-MLS-Player-Combine-Invitees-Announced

Major League Soccer today announced the 59 NCAA DI college players invited to participate in the 2016 adidas MLS Player Combine. Top collegiate players from across the country will showcase their talents in front of representatives from all 20 MLS clubs in Fort Lauderdale, FL from Jan. 7-12, 2016. All invited players will be eligible for selection in the 2016 SuperDraft presented by adidas which will take place on Thursday, Jan. 14 in Baltimore, MD.

14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a number of HG-eligible players on the list and they'll be removed if they sign with their teams of origin. But it seems like there will be at least a few who don't either because the team isn't interested or because they aren't interested. I guess we'll find out with Souders soon enough. Columbus did just trade their backup LB, so there would be an opening for Souders, if they are interested.

22SteveD repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Arena says LA is likely to keep Zardes. I'd prefer he goes. Players like him should not be taking playing time away from young players like Villarreal, Jamieson and Mendiola. Let some Championship team employ a worker in their starting lineup on a big contract, shouldn't be what a top MLS team with good young attackers is striving for.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sport...ope-to-keep-omar-gonzalez-20151213-story.html

GiallorossiYank and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Not a US player, but.......

MLS :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

17. joe cleats

joe cleats Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, if there's a Europe team wanting to sign Zardes and he wants to go, then I hope Arena and LA don't put up a fight about it (they do need to get the right price). The Galaxy have a lot of attacking talent coming up the pipeline that if they held on to Zardes, I can see a lot of MLS teams coming to them for Villarreal, Jamieson, and Mendiola.

18. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't see the tweet, what did it say? :(

Omg I see it now! Cesc!!! Was the reason I follow Arsenal.

19. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Plethora of options"??? Really? Other than FJ, I am not sure we have any options that are better than even the current version of Bornstein.

22SteveD repped this.
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    What are you assuming Bornstein's current level is? There are a number of American LB's in MLS who have done a pretty decent job.

21. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    No thanks. We need better than a crappy CM at a relegation battler.

Winoman repped this.
  22. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mileage varies, but I'd say MLS is probably in the lower-third tier today, more or less around the level of leagues like Denmark, Norway, Austria and a step below leagues like Mexico, Portugal, Turkey, Eredivise which I'd consider to be under the Big 5. We'd be doing pretty well if MLS was around the level of the Portuguese Premeira and still able to field a good number of Americans per team. And I think this is pretty achievable. The stars are aligning in such a way that soccer has the opportunity to join the lexicon of top US sports in a way that may not have been possible before.

bsky22 and DHC1 repped this.
  23. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Where do you put Brazil, Argentina, Japan, BL2 and Championship? Thanks.

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Comparing leagues is a futile endeavor. Take the Chinese league: their very best just beat one of the Liga MX top three teams. So one could say the Chinese Super League is better than the Liga MX, but it doesn't sound right. Although it is possible. The other day I was watching an Indian Superleague match, Kolkata vs. Chennalyin, the semifinal of their play-off, and by golly, it looked better than the MLS final this season.

Form changes very fast, and it's hard to decide whether to define a league by its top teams, or trying to figure some sort of median, and over what period of time.

The thing about the Championship and the 2.BuLi is, of course, that players there have more European exposure than staying in MLS, although personally I consider all three at about the same level (Championship top teams a bit above, actually).

Marko72 and Winoman repped this.
  25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I watched about a half of Reading v. Hull yday. Zardes would improve them a little. I see why they are looking at Powers. They are using Williams as a cam. Frankly, they guy they should buy is Hedges. Dallas obviously don't value him much but he would stiffen that Reading defense considerably. But, yeah, you could see Reading buy Hedges, Powers and Zardes and put in a credible run at promotion. Another guy they could try is MacInerney - isn't he a free?

The problem is they need EU passports, I guess.