MLS Flavors of the week, 2013 style

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by RalleeMonkey, Feb 14, 2013.

1. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Pontius's decision making hasn't been the best so far. Has made the wrong pass or held onto the ball too long on a few ocassions.

2. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pontius doesn't look great, Davis shat his pants on his PK. Just a terrible PK.

3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i see young Dillon Powers has been given the nod at Colorado as a starter, hows he looking? And Pickens is starting the season at the bench in favor of Ceus.

Fernendez is also starting ahead of Seitz for FC Dallas, which i suppose isnt overly surprising

4. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Reason that Agudelo is on the bench for tonight:

AnguloMLS@InsideChivasUSA
    Juan Agudelo was listed as "probable" with a right foot contusion, the same injury he's had trouble with since return from USMNT camp.

soccerusa517 repped this.
  5. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agudelo on the bench for Chivas USA

6. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Exactly. Consider it "on the job training."

7. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    People will laugh but Rico Clark had a cracker tonight. Drew a penalty and scored a nice goal. Also won MOTM honors.

8. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was something. I didnt quite expect that match to be so scrappy but it was and that's when Rico shines..

9. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clark wasn't that bad for the USMNT. It's the perception because of his mistake against Ghana.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe the coach is just an idiot.

Unbelievable that Juan can't even start for the worst team in the league. Yes, I know its one game that he isn't starting, but I was expecting a real breakout season. Getting at most 25-30 minutes is not acceptable for Juan at this point.

11. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in his defense his coach is going for the ethnically/racially pure thing. He isnt of mexican descent, therefore isnt worth a spot. How this is different than putting out a blue eyed, blonde haired team i will never understand

12. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    With half the teams and smaller rosters there are a LOT of guys that we're complaining about not getting PT, that wouldn't even be in the league. I agree w/ the post below that DP's tend to play offense, but still - with almost twice the number of teams and bigger rosters there is a much greater opportunity for young talent to develop.

13. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Did you at all read the tweet you quoted?

Sandon Mibut and SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I get that.

Clearly Juan is good enough to start for Chivas USA, but the coach might have other motives to start other players.

I just have a big problem with Giovanni Casillas starting, but Juan Agudelo not. I see something morally wrong with an MLS team developing a top Mexican kid, but not giving the necessary playing time to a top young American kid.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  15. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always agreed with this. He had some phenomenal games for us. Holding mids always tend to get flack from usmnt supporters (Clark, Beckerman, Edu off the top of my head)..

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  16. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh theres plenty morally wrong with it. Not only in that sense, someone just need the balls to say it. A soccer standpoint is one thing. I know im not the one extremely upset with this new Chivas USA team and the ideology theyre putting forth, at least in circles i talk to. It is wrong.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I did. I think its complete BS.

He is listed as probable, not even questionable or doubtful.

How often do you see a player listed as probable who isn't fit enough to play?

I think the injury is just an excuse. Maybe I am wrong. Maybe Juan really is injured, but I have a bad feeling that this coach is not going to prioritize developing one of the best young players that this country has. Instead, he wants to turn this into the reserve team of Chivas De Guadalajara.

18. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Racist! You should accept letting a Liga MX B team in MLS! It helps the reputation of the league!

;)

Sandon Mibut and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  19. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Yes, the Chivas USA beat writer is covering for Chelis as to why he's not starting Juan.

Did you happen to notice that Tristen Bowen is starting though?

Hararea repped this.
  20. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's legitimately injured but Chivas USA aren't fooling anyone with their main objective. The club really needs new ownership and direction. That's all I'm going to say since it's a bit off topic now...

Tom Collingsworth and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  21. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed completely, back on point though Dillon Powers looks really good for his debut game. hes got a 3rd lung hes up and down the field constantly. For all Colorado's defensive frailties, i can appreciate the fact that when they say they trot out a 4-3-3 they actually mean it.

bmo180 repped this.
  22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I am glad that we don't have many kids in the US National Team system on that team. It seems to just be Juan and Delgado.

I just think its rather unfortunate that one of the best young americans is stuck in a true no win situation. If he asks for a trade, he looks like an a-hole for basically asking for two trades in a year. If he stays content and says nothing, he'll see sub minutes and maybe an occasional start or two.

I think this will eventually come to an end. Fans aren't going to show up to games, they will be the worst team in the league, a true laughing stock. I wouldn't be surprised to see the franchise fold up after the season.

Chivas USA is the true joke of the MLS.

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Why would Juan be on the bench if he wasn't fit enough to play?

24. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    If a player isn't even in contention for PT, then what's the point of being in the league? We've seen the Ruben Luna career path, and it goes nowhere. And for as many times as you repeat "almost twice the number of teams," it's worth looking at actual opportunities to play.

Let's go back to opening day a decade ago. New York started Ricardo Clark (then barely 20) and Mike Magee (18). Chicago started Damarcus Beasley (20) and Craig Capano (17) and brought Justin Mapp (18) off the bench. Dallas brought Jordan Stone and Eddie Johnson off the bench (both 19, I think). DC started Bobby Convey (19) and Santino Quaranta (18).

Do you really think that today's American players age 20 and under are getting as much of an opportunity? And if you don't like the cutoff of 20, we could go up to age 21 and add in Landon Donovan, Edson Buddle, etc., to the list from 2003.

cpwilson80 and SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  25. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a development issue, that we're not producing more players at 20-22 ready for mins in MLS. While the level of play has improved, it's not near high enough that talented 21 yr olds shouldn't be getting decent time. The problem is the talented players that age are few and far between, and it's a direct result of the development gap we have, from about 17-22.

You get past a handful of players, guys like Gil, Kitchen, Agudelo we just don't have many players skilled enough to get time in MLS. And given MLS is not a tactical league nor a top 15 league, that's a problem. It's not like we have a bunch of 21 yr olds who can't break into the first team in the Bund or EPL, or even the Ered.

The majority if MLS team are Championship level, with some League One teams. To not have more 21 yr olds able to play at that level is a result of our development.

The reserve league/USL partnership may help, but I have my doubts as I have huge doubts about the coaching at that level. Playing is only part of it. Learning to play the right way is also a huge part of it.