MLS Flavors of the week, 2013 style

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by RalleeMonkey, Feb 14, 2013.

1. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    Snow Cup 2013.

2. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably, but I'd also say excitement and quality are two different discussions.

This game was more exciting than SLand/Spurs, but SLand/Spurs clearly had more quality.

USC/UCLA college basketball will often be more exciting than Spurs/Pistons, but Spurs/Pistons also has considerably more quality/talent.

Two different topics too often lumped together.

Tom Collingsworth, Totoro and Beazley17 repped this.
  3. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    Zusi is a spaz

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  4. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6554 OWN(yewu)ED, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    Czech right back, Fletcher, and Jozy aside, who on sunderland has more quality than the average SKC or RSL player? Wes Brown and OShea the wheels have fallen off. Bardsley is worse than Sinovic easily, i have no idea how he is in the EPL and Spector is not. Adam Johnson, Jack Colback, and the rest of their midfield are positively worthless. Gia is dr jeckyl mr hyde, and has looked crap since Di Canio left. Im not sure the Sunderland keeper is better than Rimando, its probably a push. Youre impressed with the names, youre impressed that someone spent 10 million pounds on Adam Johnson, but fact of the matter players like him and Cattermole are crap. And then theres Tottenham, for all their pretty names cannot score more than one goal a game. Beckerman-Gil or Zusi-Feilhaber alone would take their midfield out back. Id take RSL or SKC to give sunderland the business no sweat.

5. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6555 jond, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    The same squad who just gave it pretty good against a stacked Chelsea squad and controlled possession near 45% of the match I think it was, isn't noticeably more talented in your mind than RSL/SKC? I won't get into a player by player breakdown, but a guy like Giach would likely start for each and every MLS team and has more talent than any LW MLS has had possibly ever. There's no wingers in MLS who'd get caps for Italy aside from Landon. Even a guy like Johnson, as boneheaded as he is has more quality than probably every MLS winger outside Landon and Zusi. Zusi is much smarter a player and superior crosser but Johnson does have more skill on the ball and far more pace.

Too often fans look at how a player does against very good competition in the EPL, then if they don't impress they compare that to player looking better at a considerably lower level of competition. A guy like Shea was a near MLS MVP at 21 yet can't even make the bench for Stoke. That's one obvious example of a number. My guess is Zusi/Besler/Morales and possibly Beckerman are the only players out there today who could currently see time for a club like Sunderland. But when in form I rate Edu around Beckerman's level, maybe slightly above and he has yet to even make the bench Stoke which isn't all that great an EPL club.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I thought this game was an MLS game.

Look, Beckerman is a good MLS player. He plays his role well in MLS and is one of the best players at his position in the league, but on the international stage, he is fairly limited. Unless you are preserving a lead, you don't need a player like Beckerman. He doesn't bring much of anything offensively.

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    No he's not.

8. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You thought? You weren't certain? Were you not sure and thought that SKC and RSL were possibly playing in CONCACAF Champion's League in December?

Preserving a lead sounds pretty damn important to me.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  9. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    There's nothing wrong with the fact that this is Beckerman's level. He's really good for RSL.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Besler is just worn out by now. He has played a full season including a lot of matches with the USMNT. He has been the best defender in MLS all year. One MLS game doesn't worry me. Once I see him perform like that in games that matter for the USA than I will start to worry.

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Hasn't Besler had an mcl issue for some time?

12. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    You're out of your mind. Both of those guys are a clear level above Ream. Besler in particular is going to be very good. At worst, he's worn down after playing probably his busiest year ever.

13. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Yep.

What did people see today that is making them critical of Besler? Him not blocking Saborio's shot?

14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Ike is better than Besler. Pity the foot injuries slowed his roll this cycle.

15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Besler has been quality when healthy.

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Not true at all. Sinovic is easily a better LB than Colback who has seen time at LB for Sunderland this season. I think Gil could see time for Sunderland now. No one could convince me that Ki is a better CM than Gil. I don't think Rimando would be a starter in the BPL for many teams, but he is certainly better than Mannone. Mannone is the worst starting GK in the league. Maybe Feilhaber as well. I'm not his biggest fan, but he has shown before that he can certainly play at a club like Sunderland.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You didn't sense my humor. I guess it wasn't very funny.

Beckerman is not useful for the USMNT in any role besides as the janitor to preserve a late lead. Even then, I think there are better players.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Exactly. Good MLS player, but clearly limited against better competition. As you said, there is nothing wrong with that, but I don't like Beckerman as an option for the USMNT. He just isn't good enough for a significant role at that level.

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That would make Opara the best defender in MLS and the best defender in the US Pool. Thats what Besler is.

20. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Ike has the raw tools to be good, but he has to put together a healthy season.

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    SKC probably has the best cb rotation in the league. Is Opara's contract up this year?

22. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I don't know, but I hope not. He'll see plenty of time with Besler away with the NT.

23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Think with Ike he has got physical tools that readily translate to the big leagues. But yeah staying healthy has been problem. Being part of a 3 man rotation certainly helped him this season.

24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    It's tough in general to project success from one level to a higher, as evinced by the number of transfer busts one sees.

Ike and Besler have the physical tools to make it in a top five league.
    Feilhaber and Zusi would need to find the right situation(tactics and formation-wise)

25. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sinovic is not easily better than Colback. You're talking about a player who was waved by NE, RSL didn't see value in and didn't offer a contract, was left exposed in the expansion draft by KC, then was traded for Arnaud. Sorry, there's nothing suggesting he's clearly better than an EPL LB with 90 EPL appearances at 24. Colback plays more often as a mid, btw.

And Gil, while I love him, is not ready to step in for an EPL club. No way.

And Benny? Please.

When you say not true at all, I'd expect a bit more than baseless opinion backing that up.