MLS flavors of the week: 2012 Edition [MLS R's]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by EXALIFTIN, Mar 4, 2012.

1. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This is why I was hoping he would get a january call up. Not just to deter T&T interest but because he's talented enough. If conor lade could get one..

Well its only a friendly so he could probably just be testing the waters.

bmo180 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That might not be a bad thing with how horrible Trinidad have run their program recently.

3. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article just says that DeLeon was invited. I don't think it is known whether he has accepted.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before last season started he was called up to T&T's olympic qualifying squad which he declined. Hopefully he makes the same choice because everything is there for him to be a US international in the not to distant future.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Let's not forget that Nick DeLeon's father is Leroy DeLeon, a former T&T international.

If we wanted to keep Nick DeLeon in the US fold, we needed to call him up.

If we had called up DeLeon instead of Brad Evans, would anybody have batted an eyelash? No.
    So I don't get it................................

I could certainly understand why DeLeon would be interested in T&T. The US hasn't called up Nick on any level. This friendly isn't cap-tying, but I suspect that with his family history...............it's over if he accepts this callup.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think so. I suspect that he wants to play in the 2014 World Cup. If so, a good showing in the Gold Cup for the USA this summer could really help his chances. I suspect that his first possible cap-tying game for T&T would be the Gold Cup.

So, if he gets called up for both National Teams for the Gold Cup, I am guessing that he would choose the USA because he would want a shot at playing in the 2014 World Cup. If we don't call him up for the Gold Cup, then he is a goner. Until then, I don' think playing in a friendly against Peru really means anything. It probably is just a message to the USA that he isn't going to wait too much longer.

7. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think he's ever played at any leve for T&T. I remembering hearing somewhere that the relationship with his father wasn't the greatest. T&T will probably keep inviting him until he's cap tied.

Also, we don't know if he was contacted by ussoccer or not for the January camp.

8. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Different positions I know, but I don't understand a rookie like Connor Lade getting a call over Nick DeLeon.

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Do we know that DeLeon wasn't invited to camp?

He could have been invited & turned it down............................

10. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but I think that's unlikely.

11. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Aren't they both rookies??

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  12. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he plays in the friendly, does he become provisionally tied to T&T, and would then have to apply to FIFA for a 1-time switch to the USA?

13. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    Steven Goff@SoccerInsider
    Nick DeLeon declined the T&T invitation. Has never been to the island(s). Honored by call-up but not going. #dcu #mls

Good news for the US. The fact that he's never been to the island suggests he probably isn't going that direction anytime soon.

Berks, USAMEX10, Real Corona and 4 others repped this.
  14. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct, I didn't word that very well. I meant to say DeLeon was more deserving.

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Definitely good news. Somebody in this thread said that Nick was estranged from his father, the T&T soccer player.

Hopefully this alerted Klinsmann to the possibility that we could lose this player if we doesn't take some type of action.

If Klinsmann is OK with losing the player....................than so be it.
    If he's not, then hopefully Jurgen has contacted him to let him know that he's still interested in his services.

16. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    And a deadbeat dad...

Pl@ymaker and deuteronomy repped this.
  17. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    He should be in the camp right now, he's already one of the best wingers in the pool. Especially when there's guys like Buddle, DeLagarza, Lade who did nothing to earn a callup

so no

18. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really, DeLeon was probably just caught in the shuffle. Midfield is packed.

There are definitely going to be some tough cuts come Brazil 2014. Some good players won't make it.

19. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Glad to hear he declined the call up. Maybe he can get called up to the gold cup and do something. But he's gotta make some noise with DC next season and not hit the "sophomore slump".

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Midfield is going to be packed for quite a long time..............................................

But we've called up guys like Joseph Gyau this year, and DeLeon is more accomplished right now than Joseph Gyau.

21. NatsTeamFan

NatsTeamFan Member

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    DeLeon was my favorite national team prospect coming out of last years draft. I'm really high on his game, when you watch him play, the word that comes to mind is complete. I think he should have a big year next year and force himself into the picture even more than he did this year.

SJTillIDie repped this.
  22. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This year? Gyau got called up for the Russia friendly last November, but didn't make the gameday roster. I believe DC United were still in the MLS playoffs at the time, that's why some MLS players didn't get called up.