MLS flavors of the week: 2011 Edition Part II [MLS R's]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by giffenbone, Aug 7, 2011.

1. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adu, Valentin not protected in the MLS Expansion draft.......

2. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    Cameron's injury the turning point in Dynamo's Cup loss:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/11/21/camerons-injury-turning-point-dynamos-cup-loss

3. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    I deleted my post because I find the comparisons between the two lead to fan pissing matches. No thanks.

I think Cameron has a higher ceiling. And I think his lack of mobility last night probably had a lot to do with his very real knee injury. But as I've said before, bring them both and let the best man win.

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, fair enough. I completely agree about the injury to Cameron after reading more about it. I think you could show a little more objectivity in evaluating Gonzalez, though. He does do some things right.

6. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I am really amazed by all the fan pissing contests in here. Seriously, look at the club to the left of the person's profile and 70% of the time their post pertains to that player being good and other players sucking.

Regardless, it seems blatantly obvious that Gonzalez and Cameron both deserve their chances as does John and any other option that can play very well in MLS and looks to have skills that would translate to the national team level.

We need as many options as possible as some of the current options aren't working that great. So bring lots of new faces in and let's all see how it plays out. Partnerships can be tricky so let's roll out lots of combos and see how players do before ripping to shreds other options.

We really don't need to see Orozco Fiscal again do we?

8. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I enjoy this forum, the Club fanboy crap, really chaps me sometimes.

It really poisons what should be Nat-centric analysis.....

I was actually going to start a thread here on this issue, but a Mod told me not to....

9. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's just a personal preference. Something about adding a few guys who shouldn't really be there irks me. I'd rather the whole team be made up of guys in the same age bracket. For me, it makes a better miracle on ice story. I also thought that McBride's inclusion last time actually held the team back a bit. Don't get me wrong McHead is awesome, a legend, and I can understand Nowak wanting him on the squad, and McBride's desire to play in the Olympics...I just...I dunno. It just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

On Cameron: Yes, it looked like he completely misread the play, but let's be fair: He picked up a bad knock before halftime and LA was knocking on the door all game long. It was only a matter of time before Houston cracked under that pressure. They lost the game to a great run, great layoff, and great finish by one of the greatest American players of all time and arguably the best player in the league today.

Whatever. Both Omar and Cameron deserve a look.

10. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you about the over-over agers, such as Beckham, McBride, Landon, etc. I would like to see a couple of guys who are 23-24 be included, though. After all the Oly's is only every 4 years, and we have some guys in that age range that it could really benefit the national team for them to get that experience. Central defenders such as Ream, Gonzalez and John would be perfect. Geoff Cameron is a couple years older, so I wouldn't go there.

11. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Yeah, Omar misses the cutoff by just 2+ months, so it's not like he'd be really playing out of his age bracket, and John will be 25 and Ream 24 y/o during the Olympics.

We won't do well (assuming we qualify) in the Olympics with our current U-23 CB's.

One thing of note though, overage players do not have to be released by their clubs for the Olympics, U-23 players do.

12. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonzalez, Cameron, Ream, John

All have their strengths and weaknesses.

Gonzalez and Cameron however, deserve a look.

13. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd still like to see us give it a shot with U-23's only.

However, if we're going to take an overage player or players I would like to see it be on the defensive side.

Let the kids play in attack and show us what they got.

It was a lot of fun watching our guys take it to the Dutch in the last Olympics. Gave me unwaranted hope for the future. :eek:

14. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boca with his experience, with a guy like Gonzo or John would be perfect for the Olympics.

15. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Along the lines of Koko's McBride issue, I'd stay away from really "old" players like Boca for the overage slots. I think the team dynamics change too much when a group of 20-22 year olds has to include a 30-something or two.

Gonzo is nearly Olympic age and a proven 3-year MLS vet (4 years by the Olympics). He'd be an ideal overage player, giving him some international experience at a pretty high level, while stabilizing a weak spot for the U23 group.

Cameron is a bit older, but not too old, and he doesn't have much international experience. He'd gain from playing in the Olympics, and he'd also help the stabilize the team's weak spot.

Plus, I think Gonzo's power game and Cameron's somewhat more skillfull style would compliment each other.

It would be a great way to push those two into the US national team system, while the more experienced CB's handle the initial qualifiers next summer.

Not sure who the 3d overage guy should be. Probably a midfielder. The U23 keepers seem pretty good, and we don't really have any good overage strikers.

16. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't think adding two 23 year old cbs is taking advantage of the overage rules.

One 23 year old, a guy like Boca to teach them the system and organize, and add his experience, and a guy like Dempsey or Donovan to add to the attack would be perfect for me.

IIRC, in the last Games, our opponents added some major overage talent.....

17. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is likely to make more of a difference to the way the team performs on the field?

1) The younger players having to adjust to having a guy ten years older than they are in the locker room--bearing in mind that many of them already play on club teams with a mix of older and younger players?

Or:

2) Tim Howard, Clint Dempsey and Landon Donovan?

Whatever happens, I will enjoy watching our team play in the Olympics. But I'll enjoy it a lot more if we win some games. And having some of your country's best players on the field helps you win games.

18. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok...your options are to play Agbossoumonde, Kitchen (convert from CDM/RB), Okugo (convert from CDM), S. Williams (convert from RB), Opara, Brooks, or White as a CB or you can go for a guy that's just a couple years older and needs the experience in Gonzalez, John, Cameron, and Ream (maybe add Rusin too). Note: that's a big difference then asking Boca, Goodson, DeMerit, or Onyewu to fill in. I would not only go for one overage but definitely would call in two overage CB's. hell, i wouldn't even be opposed to three given that we do not have one decent U-23 center back in the entire pool if for some reason we find a CDM to lock down that position and are confident with our fullbacks.

19. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX

I have always liked the combination of a powerful beast in the air (Gooch/Gonzalez/Marshall/Whitbread types) with a quicker/faster/more skilled option next to them (Cameron/Parkhurst/Ream/Orozco Fiscal/whomever). It makes a stronger combination IMHO.

I don't exactly know all of the strengths/weaknesses of our potential Olympic team to state exactly which players to use overage spots on but also agree with stay younger v. a legend (ala McBride) and err towards players that could benefit from the international experience (ala Gonzalez, Cameron, Ream types or comparable midfield/forward options).

20. RiceBubble

RiceBubble Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems inevitable that Omar is going to be leaving the Galaxy next season :(

The Galaxy could stay on top for a while, though. Only two of their players in Sunday’s game - Beckham and Keane - are over 30. And only Omar Gonzalez, 23, is certain to be on foreign teams’ shopping lists.

Beckham’s future is in question, but even if he doesn’t return, he paved the way for the next Galaxy designated player. And Arena already has lined up replacements for Gonzalez.

21. Interested Bystander

Mar 26, 2007
    Why shouldn't they be there? Why is there any age restriction for the Olympics in the first place? That is the truly artificial part, not the over aged players.

22. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Firstly, Cameron will be 27 next summer, so it's only Gonzo who will be 23. And even he, as a 4-year MLS pro, will be a strong upgrade for the Olympic team. Ream, as a few others have suggested, might be a smart alternative pick, and he'll be 24 next summer.

Secondly, if one didn't have to take other things into consideration, then grabbing 3 of the US's top players for the Olympics would be something worth considering. But in the real world, there are other considerations. The Olympics is probably a 4 week committment, between pre-event training camp and friendlies plus the actual games in the last week of July and the first 1-2 weeks of August.

So, for MLS guys, there are MLS team matches during the summer. The overage guys don't have to be released, so you have to negociate their inclusion with their clubs. Boca and Dempsey don't play MLS club ball over the summer, but Donovan does (under current contracts). The Galaxy will have to release Donovan for the June 8 and 12 Qualifiers and the September 7 and 11 qualifiers. They would balk at losing him for an additional 4 weeks.

The older Euro guys might actually prefer a rest in July/August, since they will also want to play in the June and September qualifiers, and will have to return to their clubs by mid-August.

So, I think you take fringe US National team guys as the overage players, not key current Nat's you will count on for the June and September qualifiers. In 2008, McBride, Parkhurst, and Guzan were fringe Nat's, not key starters also needed for World Cup Qualifiers.

I'd take 2 CBs -- pick from Gonzo, Cameron, or Ream.

I'd take 1 midfielder -- pick from Feilhaber, Bedoya, Clark, Beasley, Gaven, or Davis

1 person likes this.
  23. CDM76

CDM76 Member+

May 9, 2006
    Socal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The age limit is FIFA protecting their cash cow known as The World Cup.

That said, I really like the idea of adding a couple of the younger (but too old for U23) CBs to the Olympic squad. Many fans want to see what players like Omar and Cameron can do in international competition and the current U23 CB pool is not all that impressive.

Sounds like a win/win to me.

24. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    A couple other overage options down the pecking order from the previously mentioned CB's are Soares and Anibaba.

As pointed out, overage MLS players might be harder to get released