MLS flavors of the week: 2011 Edition [MLS R's]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonzalez really didn't have a bad game. Franklin had an abominable game. AJ had a poor game. Gonzalez and Dunivant were generally ok. The story of this game was not Gonzalez doing poorly.

2. moytoy12

moytoy12 Member

Jun 20, 2008
    I thought he was poor, but reasonable minds can disagree. In any event, I've seen Ream have the same type of game and the Gonzo/John supporters absolutely tear Ream to shreds.

And I still believe Gonzo (and John) should have been called up. If they were called up in Ream's place, I would have been fine with that.

3. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    If Gonzalez has a bad game I will of course say he did, but honestly Gonzalez hasn't had anywhere near as many bad games as Ream. Gonzalez has been so solid all year and I can only think of one game where I knew he had an off night. I have been hearing of many more games when Ream was bad.

4. RiceBubble

RiceBubble Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one here was really putting down Ream at all, until you kinda said something about it. The truth is that the team played terribly last night and the defense was bombarded, and most of the L.A. fans believe Omar and Dunivant did well for the most part. Look, no one wants Ream to fail. To be honest, I believe he should stay put in New York for a bit and continue to work on his abilities. He's not much of an aerial threat and gets pushed around at times. If he can work on these aspects of his game, and vastly improves, then he should warrant another call-up.

5. RiceBubble

RiceBubble Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last time Omar didn't have a solid game was before the Gold Cup roster was announced. I kinda knew he wasn't gonna be in the Mexico friendly by looking at his body language. I wonder what it's like to play with that mask on.. I think this game was the first time I saw it have an effect on him.

6. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    This.

7. moytoy12

moytoy12 Member

Jun 20, 2008
    My point was simply to point out Skevin's hypocrisy. If Ream had the type of game that Gonzo had last night, then Skevin would have blasted Ream.

Ultimately, I don't care who turns out to be the best CB, but it would be nice to see some consistency in the criticism (or praise) of our players. I understand that is a lot to ask, unfortunately.

I've hijacked the thread enough. I hope the MLS'ers represent the national team well next week.

8. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McInerney scored for Philly.

9. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i wish DeRo played for Mercuh instead of Canadia :( hell of a player.

10. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Double whammy for NYRB nat callups as Nat Borchers beats Time Ream to the ball, while Agudelo leaves the post open. Mistake by Ream and Agudelo should have at least been in position to stop the rebound but left the post when the play occurred right in front of him.

McInerney has been impressive.

Ream has not had a good game after a very solid Emirates Cup.

11. AEK21

AEK21 Member

Jul 23, 2009
  12. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did anyone bite the bullet and watch NE Revas-Chivas USA for the rest of us?
    or DC-Tor for that matter

13. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some sixteen year old kid scored for NE. Diego Fagundez, not a great last name. Born in Uruguay, been in the States since he was five. Was I supposed to be aware of this kid?

14. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    You should be aware of all 16 year kids on mls first teams. McBean, Fagundez, pfeffer, etc.

15. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol, I suppose so.

16. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Omar Gonzalez scored off a free kick.

17. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Facepalm moment from Hartmann there. Omar's playing good tonight.

18. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Cameron scored a nice goal but otherwise had an average to below average performance.

19. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was surprised that he scored. Didn't know he was already playing with the first team.

20. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    It was a pretty funny attempt by hartman there, but I laughed that Omar essentially pushed christman away to get that goal. Omar also had a nice slide tackle which stopped a breakaway.

22. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw that tackle on the breakaway, I believe "class" was the first word out of my mouth.

23. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sean Franklin has been killing LAs offense all night.

24. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Glad to see even a Dallas fan appreciated that great tackle.

Honestly I think Gonzalez was a little mad not being called into the friendly because he is playing amazing today. Gonzalez is honestly one of the most underrated CBs in the league. Everytime I see him play I just ask why he hasnt gotten a real chance with the national team.

25. moytoy12

moytoy12 Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Of course, it was also Gonzo's error (misjudged the ball over the top) that required him to make a last ditch tackle. However, it was a good tackle and showed good athleticism.

Man, Ream really blew it on the Borchers goal. That was bad. I didn't watch the game, but it doesn't sound like he had a very good game.

Mike Magee looks like Bradley Cooper from the Hangover and Hartman looks like Jason Sudeikis.